Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

+46
London-Phan
Bunvendor
justin1976
eriklefantome
vmkwinner
AlwaysChristine
Miss von Krolock
Klavirista
Devon
LadyCDaae
TheFinnishPhantom
Phinnish Phan
Maya
Cape Twirl of Doom
Phantomess
Mme Reyer
Vicomtesse de Chagny
ladygodiva
ML6
Mlle. Daae
ChorusGirl
Madame Giry
Scorp
Callie Daae
Rebecca
phantomphan1992
Becky
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Christine's Shadow
Stephanie
Raphael
Paula74
Phantomlove
Viscountess
MasqPhan
TGITPC
meglett
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
MlleMusique
littlelotty004
phantom10906
operafantomet
Admin
50 posters

Page 14 of 34 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24 ... 34  Next

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Loettchen Fri May 21, 2010 5:37 pm

MasqPhan wrote:I thought I'd share some pics of the progress of my own Hannibal Slave Girl costume. Still a few things (crotch tiara etc) to fix plus the dressing gown.

That's gorgeous, MasqPhan! You did a spectacular job on the fabrics and trims, etc. Bravo.

operfantomet wrote:PS - latest progress of the Meg!Masquerade costume is gorgeous! Don't think I ever got around to comment it on LJ.

Thanks! I can't believe how close it is to being finished. In a few weeks I should have some photos of the whole thing, and I'll post them here.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Guest Sun May 23, 2010 3:34 pm

Ok, it's only a tiny update, but here goes. In the picture below, the top cord and tassel are what I had for Fans Week. The one on the bottom is my first try at a new tassel. The gold cord was replaced and the tassel was made from scratch. 8 spools of thread in there. Hopefully it won't fray out too bad or get caught on too many things. Smile And for scale, the larger tassel is 12" long.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 DSC01983

Last edited by phantomfett on Tue May 25, 2010 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Looking very good, Phantomfett!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 25, 2010 4:05 am

Thanks! I just did the math on the thread used for these tassels.

512.2 yards of thread. Shocked

Per tassel! Shocked Shocked

That's 2,048.8 yards of thread for the tassels alone.... Yowza! Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Tue May 25, 2010 1:34 pm

phantomfett wrote:Thanks! I just did the math on the thread used for these tassels.

512.2 yards of thread. Shocked

Per tassel! Shocked Shocked

That's 2,048.8 yards of thread for the tassels alone.... Yowza! Cool

Very impressive. The tassels from last year were nice but these are so much nicer. You've got a lot of patience.

Last edited by MasqPhan on Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Because I can't spell.)
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 pm

MasqPhan wrote:I've really been enjoying all the various costume pics. So many great costumes on the go. Can't wait to see the final items.

I thought I'd share some pics of the progress of my own Hannibal Slave Girl costume. Still a few things (crotch tiara etc) to fix plus the dressing gown.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 Th_SANY1210Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 Th_SANY1214Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 Th_SANY1216
Click on the images for a bigger view.
Just had to go back to this costume, it's amazing. So close to the real thing! Do you close it in front or the back? I'm guessing the back, as the front is very smooth and snug.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Wed May 26, 2010 3:44 am

operafantomet wrote:Just had to go back to this costume, it's amazing. So close to the real thing! Do you close it in front or the back? I'm guessing the back, as the front is very smooth and snug.
Actually it closes in the front like the real costume does. "...the front is very smooth and snug" Yes I just wish I was built as nicely as the mannequin. Although a corset underneath does wonders. lol

Viscountess wrote:That is unbelievable. I honest to goodness almost asked you why you posted that here instead of the rare pics thread.

Laughing Fooled you. I'll take that as a compliment.

Thanks for your comments too Rebecca and Loettchen.

I'll post one more update when all is done.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 2:45 am

So, just for fun, I added up how much thread has been sacrificed so far on my project. And the grand total is........ 5,304 yds of various thread/floss. Shocked And I'm still not done!

Last edited by phantomfett on Fri May 28, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri May 28, 2010 7:25 am

phantomfett wrote:So, just for fun, I added up how thread has been sacrificed so far on my project. And the grand total is........ 5,304 yds of various thread/floss. Shocked And I'm still not done!
You know, that is.... a lot!!!! What a Face
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Fri May 28, 2010 3:05 pm

operafantomet wrote:
phantomfett wrote:So, just for fun, I added up how thread has been sacrificed so far on my project. And the grand total is........ 5,304 yds of various thread/floss. Shocked And I'm still not done!
You know, that is.... a lot!!!! What a Face

It was fun to do that calculation?? As if we needed more proof that you are a crazy person....

LOL! I tease, of course Wink That's a LOT of thread!!!
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:51 pm

For any of you 'Dressing Gown' people, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: I found another supplier of the dressing gown fabric on wholesale.
Exotic Silks.com : Showing here!
http://www.exoticsilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=232&osCsid=cl1p6dvtmb9bmoa52n4hccouc0

Bad news: You have to buy at least 15 yards of if to get the price and your whole order has to be at least $100. So if you get 16 yards and a couple samples or accessories, you too can get the beautiful Dressing Gown fabric for a fraction of the cost at B&J. (Not to put down B&J, I love that store. It is heaven.) Very Happy
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:51 pm

You are too amazing for words, Bri! How'd you find this?

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:30 am

Wow! Nice find.

Is there a different patterned material used for the frilly part of the costume? I've been looking at photos but can't quite figure out what the pattern is.

Is it this marble pattern from the same shop? http://www.exoticsilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=234
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:11 am

phantomfett wrote:You are too amazing for words, Bri! How'd you find this?
I found it looking for burnout fabric for another costume.

MasqPhan wrote:Is there a different patterned material used for the frilly part of the costume? I've been looking at photos but can't quite figure out what the pattern is.

Is it this marble pattern from the same shop? http://www.exoticsilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=234
The ruffles are a white floral burn out velvet. I've only seen it at B&J's, but the search continues. Smile
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Great, now I want to make a new dressing gown, although I have several unfinished projects... Thanks a lot! Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:45 pm

That is awesome that another store has the dressing gown fabric! It is beautiful.

I actually already purchased that fabric from B&J and my dressing gown (that is being commissioned) will be in the works soon. I will post pictures once it is ready. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Bri,

Did you buy any of the dressing gown fabric from this new place? I'm interested to know how close it is to the B&J stuff.

I so need to get back to that store....Anyone want to make a run? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 pm

I did buy the fabric. It's the real deal. I compared it to the B&J scraps I have and it all matches. I was so excited when I got it. If anyone is going to make a run to B&J's, I have a list of things I would like picked up too. lol!
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:19 pm

I meant who wants to go shopping with me there? Smile Bri, you have a pm.

How much did the fabric run you per yard?

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:36 pm

meglett wrote:The ruffles are a white floral burn out velvet. I've only seen it at B&J's, but the search continues. Smile

Burn out velvet. Ah. Never thought of that. Rats I wish that store had it.
I'm definitely going to get some of the paisley material. I'd tried ordering from B&J's in the past but for some reason kept getting the run around. Maybe because it's a small order and to out of the country.

Kind of scared of what that burn out velvet costs at B&J's but would love to get my hands on it anyway. Go big or go home. Right? Very Happy
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:37 pm

MasqPhan wrote:
meglett wrote:The ruffles are a white floral burn out velvet. I've only seen it at B&J's, but the search continues. Smile

Burn out velvet. Ah. Never thought of that. Rats I wish that store had it.
I'm definitely going to get some of the paisley material. I'd tried ordering from B&J's in the past but for some reason kept getting the run around. Maybe because it's a small order and to out of the country.

Kind of scared of what that burn out velvet costs at B&J's but would love to get my hands on it anyway. Go big or go home. Right? Very Happy

Hell yeah!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:07 am

I think I also saw some burn out fabric at Mood. They have everything, but they're also on the pricey side.

Edit: Wow, don't I feel smart now. I've been kind of unsure about what burn out velvet was... and then I realized that it's the EXACT fabric I'm using for a project right now. Laughing
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:19 am

I think I just found another source for the exact burnout velvet/silk for the ruffle on the dressing gown. Here's a pic comparing the pattern of the fabric sample to a picture of Sierra wearing the dressing gown.
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 14 Burnoutsilkvelvet

edit: I forgot to post the link to the store. $11.50 per yard (45inch width). http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390197495427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1488wt_814

The paisley silk is also available at that place.

Edit: Check my post below for an even cheaper source.

Last edited by MasqPhan on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 am; edited 2 times in total
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:34 pm

I recalled that Dharma Trading Co. sold burn-out silk scarves. Here it is- scroll down to the "Flower" pattern:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/682955-AA.shtml

Just $5.25 for a 9"x54" scarf, or $8.29 for a 14" x 72"!

I had never noticed before that the ruffle was burned out velvet. I just assumed it was lace! Pretty cool...
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Another nice find with those scarves in the same pattern. Smile

I forgot to post the link to where the other material I posted last night is sold. That's what I get for staying up past 3am. Laughing
It's $11.50 for 36x45 inch lengths and can be cut in continuous larger lengths. Shipping is super cheap too.

They also carry the same paisley fabric that is sold at B & J's and Exotic Silks. I also noticed they had other patterns that I've seen in some dressing gowns in the past.

EDIT: I spent the evening fabric shopping and found some new info. I contacted the shop that Brianne posted and they also have a retail shop www.thaisilks.com if folks don't want to buy $100 of material at a time. The paisley is a bit more expensive then but still reasonable at $9.25 per yard. http://www.thaisilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=232

They also carry the burnout velvet with the "morning glory print" but only in the scarf format like ChorusGirl posted earlier. Their price for the 15x72 scarves is $6.85 each. http://www.thaisilks.com/product_info.php?cPath=58_80&products_id=466
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Ooh, great links there, MasqPhan! Now I'm *really* tempted! Smile
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:58 am

So, anyone actually making costumes these days, or just plotting? Cool
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:00 am

So, anyone actually making costumes these days, or just plotting?

I AM! Very Happy (Both making and plotting. The only way to do it, I think Wink )

My god, we actually have progress on the Il Muto ballet gown. (Remember me? Remember that costume?) I have just been INSANELY busy these past few weeks, with uni (I'm trying to do five subjects. Just...no.) and the recent and sudden death of my grandfather shook everything up, too. But I am still at it! I got a *brand new* sewing machine that's all complicated, so once I learn how to use it...LOL.

I pretty much just have to hem one of the skirts, get around to making the false corset panel for the bodice and tidy up some things at the back of the costume (like adding a BIG bow to cover some mistakes...ahem Rolling Eyes ) and we might be finished! I'm also working on a replica of Christine's Countess gown; we have an underskirt and some decorations I've to sew onto the bodice...

What can I say? I'm hooked.
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:26 pm

operafantomet wrote:So, anyone actually making costumes these days, or just plotting? Cool

I am! Well, sort of. I can't sew, but I have commissioned a dressing gown and it should be ready later this summer. I'll post pictures once it is ready!
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:48 pm

operafantomet wrote:So, anyone actually making costumes these days, or just plotting? Cool
I bought the dressing gown material and found some trim & pattern on eBay so I'm going to attempt to make the real deal type of dressing gown. My other one was a garment purchases on eBay and then tweaked to make it into a dressing gown but it's just a plain cotton and doesn't drape right or have quite the right look.

MlleMusique, my sympathies to you on the loss of your grandfather.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 34 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 24 ... 34  Next