Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

+46
London-Phan
Bunvendor
justin1976
eriklefantome
vmkwinner
AlwaysChristine
Miss von Krolock
Klavirista
Devon
LadyCDaae
TheFinnishPhantom
Phinnish Phan
Maya
Cape Twirl of Doom
Phantomess
Mme Reyer
Vicomtesse de Chagny
ladygodiva
ML6
Mlle. Daae
ChorusGirl
Madame Giry
Scorp
Callie Daae
Rebecca
phantomphan1992
Becky
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Christine's Shadow
Stephanie
Raphael
Paula74
Phantomlove
Viscountess
MasqPhan
TGITPC
meglett
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
MlleMusique
littlelotty004
phantom10906
operafantomet
Admin
50 posters

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Empty Phantom Costumes real and replica

Post  ladygodiva Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:35 pm

You all are so extremely talented in your costuming, I wish that I had your ablities, good work, you are amazing

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Loettchen Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:06 am

I can't wait to see some of the Dressing Gowns that result from all this discussion! You guys are all so cool! Also, I finally got some pictures taken of my Masquerade Meg, which is about 95% finished. And I'm pretty happy with the results, so I wanted to share! Just click on them to see bigger versions.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Megmasquerade2thumb

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Masquerademeg1thumb Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Meggiry8thumb

It did turn out very Brazilian-inspired, except for the gold fringe. I actually managed to find those pink-and-black tights online, but I was sorry to discover the polka dots don't go all around the legs. Oh well! Also, I didn't want to do anything permanent to my boots (since I use them a lot), so my friend suggested using gold shoelaces to get a nice effect, and I really like how that turned out!

There are a bunch more photos on my blog, too: Link Here

Oh, and just in case you're thinking, "What the heck, Loettchen! What ever happened to those Red Death sleeves?" Well, they're still around. And right now they look like this:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Rdsleevesnew
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  MasqPhan Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 am

Your Meg costume looks awesome. Really great work on it. It fits so nicely. Doesn't have that 'homemade' feel.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:43 am

Loettchen, that is gorgeous!
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  ChorusGirl Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:05 am

Just beautiful, Loettchen! The whole ensemble looks very well put together. Smile

-CG
ChorusGirl
ChorusGirl

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:20 am

Loettchen, your Meg costume is awesome! I agree about the Brazilian/Spanish vibes.

And I love how that Red Death sleeve is turning out, so nice to narrow the bands at the wrist.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:36 am

I mentioned recently that I am having the dressing gown made with the fabric from the stage show (and I'm so thankful to those of you here who shared info on where to find the fabric!).

It has actually been a 16 year quest for me (as crazy as that sounds) to own a replica that fits me that is as close to the US version as possible.

I wanted to share with you the blog that I created that chronicles this quest (and the different replicas that I have owned). It is located here: http://thedressinggowndiaries.blogspot.com/

I think my quest will be complete once the latest version is complete! Smile And then I can finally move on to having a different gown from the show created! I'm already trying to decide what gown will be next.
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 am

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! They really mean a lot!

operafantomet wrote:And I love how that Red Death sleeve is turning out, so nice to narrow the bands at the wrist.

I'm glad you like it, since the main breakthrough was all thanks to you! Smile These sleeves have sure been a long, interesting learning experience for me.

Stephanie wrote:I wanted to share with you the blog that I created that chronicles this quest (and the different replicas that I have owned). It is located here: http://thedressinggowndiaries.blogspot.com/

Stephanie, I love it! It's so cool to see all the dresses together in order like that; it really highlights the progress. You have a beautiful collection. I can't wait to see pictures of the new one.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:06 am

Loettchen wrote:Thanks for all the kind words, guys! They really mean a lot!

operafantomet wrote:And I love how that Red Death sleeve is turning out, so nice to narrow the bands at the wrist.

I'm glad you like it, since the main breakthrough was all thanks to you! Smile These sleeves have sure been a long, interesting learning experience for me.
I'm so happy that was of any help to you. I love how the sleeves turned out! Do you have a deadline for the Red Death ensemble (like certain others at this forum *cough* Wink ), or will it be finished when it's finished? Looking forward to see more pictures.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm back on my feet! Finally! School is over, and now I just have to hassle with some last-minute drama before I'm completely back. Either way, all the progress you guys have done is fantastic!

Loettchen, your costume looks so gorgeous! Both the Meg Masquerade and Red Death.

After loads of procrastinating and school work, I'll be starting my masquerade dress this summer, and aim to have it finished before I have to move into residence and lose my contact with my sewing machine. (the day that happens will be a dark one) So that gives me until September 4th. If I don't finish by then my work will be spread out to weekends, unless I can manage to sneak it into my packing boxes...
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 pm

operafantomet wrote:Do you have a deadline for the Red Death ensemble (like certain others at this forum *cough* Wink

Deadline? Who's got a deadline around here?

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:23 am

phantomfett wrote:
operafantomet wrote:Do you have a deadline for the Red Death ensemble (like certain others at this forum *cough* Wink

Very Happy

I think I have yet to make a costume that's 100% done. But the plan is to have it wearable by the weekend of July 4th for a local convention with a "Villains" theme. I'm really much too small and unimposing to make a good villain, but I'm hoping the overcompensating feather hat and skull combo will distract people from that! I guess you know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:50 pm

phantomfett wrote:

Wow. Who knew that when I posted this line yesterday that my own deadline of Fans Week was about to be erased. Shocked Freaky....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:51 pm

Loettchen wrote:
phantomfett wrote:

Very Happy

I think I have yet to make a costume that's 100% done. But the plan is to have it wearable by the weekend of July 4th for a local convention with a "Villains" theme. I'm really much too small and unimposing to make a good villain, but I'm hoping the overcompensating feather hat and skull combo will distract people from that! I guess you know what I'll be doing for the next few weeks.

How are you making your mask?

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:47 pm

phantomfett wrote:How are you making your mask?

The thing with Phantom Fan Week is a huge bummer. I hope you still find something awesome to do with your costume, since it's way too good not to show off some more, although I get your concerns too.

I was originally just going to buy a skull mask I found with a moving jaw, but it's $70, and my costume fund is pretty much dried up. So, I just painted up a cheap mask my parents had picked up for me. Sadly, it doesn't have a detached jaw, and it's pretty basic looking, but it's all I can get right now. I posted the pictures right here, if you're interested. Obviously, when I really wear it, my eyes and nose will be covered up.

Did you make yours yourself? How did you do the jaw?
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:16 am

For old time sake, I picked up the wedding dress replica. Current state:

*Bodice a bit too narrow, expanding it as we speak.
*Skirt needs satin rosettas, still don't know how to make them.
*One satin band at the skirt has become yellow, might need replacement.
*Bodice lacks sleeves, but I think I've made a good mock-up now, and I have the fabric.
*Bodice needs big bow in the back
*And I completely lack an underskirt + a backdrape

I'll try and complete the "expansion" and sleeves today, as I need some progress to feel it's heading somewhere...

ETA: some hours later, and the sleeves are cut. I just don't get them to fit right, and I assume the issue is in the bodice rather than the sleeves. Right now I'm settling for "good enough" instead of perfect. I don't want to quarrel with it any more...

ETA 2: Sleeves are in... Working on the lace engageants. Yay!

ETA 3: Lace engageants are done, though not yet attached. I like them a lot.

ETA 4: Progress pictures can be seen here: http://aneafiles.webs.com/weddingdress.html
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:45 am

Here are a few pics from today:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 DSC02111

A close up of the waist:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 DSC02125

And the waist with the new waist tabs I made today:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 DSC02126

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:16 am

Luuuving the tabs! And (depending on the construction) it will also help distribute the weight of the doublet and cloak.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Can someone please post the rest of the costume links on this site? For some reason it won't let me go back to the main page.

http://aneafiles.webs.com/potocostumes/slavegirl.html
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 pm

phantomfett, the red death is looking seriously awesome. Great job Very Happy
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

That looks fantastic, Phantomfett! Such a great job!

I have only a few days left, and still a bunch of work to do! My hat is definitely my weakest link, and it looks pretty terrible right now, but I am so out of time and money, I'm about to give up. The rest of it is coming together, though. Here's a progress picture:

https://2img.net/h/i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd253/loettchen/Progress%20Pictures/reddeathprogress.jpg

Just gotta keep truckin' along!
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:36 am

Both Red Death costumes are looking great! Love the materials.

I posted this in the 2004 movie thread but since it's costume related I'm adding it here.
If anyone likes the movie or the costumes from, I just noticed a post from thePhantomlessons.blogspot.com that the person who bought most of the costumes on eBay is now going to be auctioning them off.

I wonder what kind of prices she will get. They went for some pretty big sums the first time around but the economy isn't so good now and I think interest in the movie has died down compared to the hype earlier on.

http://thephantomslessons.blogspot.com/2010/06/costumes-from-2004-phantom-of-opera.html
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:24 pm

I have finally decided what my first Phantom costume project will be. I always imagined it would be the Wishing gown, but lately I've come across some fabrics and such that I think will make a good Aminta dress. It's still only on the planning stage but I'm very excited about it!.

In the meantime I do have some questions.
Does it close in the front with a zipper or in the front like a real dress? I'm going for a front close but I'm nonetheless curious about how it's done in the show.
Is there a corset underneath or is the bodice that's (if that's what it's called in English) boned?
I noticed that the Madrid version is a two-piece, but is like that in every production?

Sorry if this has been covered before.
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 am

Vicomtesse de Chagny wrote:I have finally decided what my first Phantom costume project will be. I always imagined it would be the Wishing gown, but lately I've come across some fabrics and such that I think will make a good Aminta dress. It's still only on the planning stage but I'm very excited about it!.

In the meantime I do have some questions.
Does it close in the front with a zipper or in the front like a real dress? I'm going for a front close but I'm nonetheless curious about how it's done in the show.
Is there a corset underneath or is the bodice that's (if that's what it's called in English) boned?
I noticed that the Madrid version is a two-piece, but is like that in every production?

Sorry if this has been covered before.
As I am madly in love with the Aminta costume, I don't think there can be too many questions about it, hehe.

1. The Aminta costume closes in the back; a zipper in the USA, hooks and eyes/bars as well as velcro in Europe and Japan. Don't know about Canada and Australia, except that they're also back closed. Reason why the European ones have a double closing is to allow a quick change. During PONR the bodice is closed with the hooks, but when Phantom and Christine go backstage, it is unhooked and attached with the velcro instead. This allows the dressers to rip it off when they go offstage a second time (after "Down once more"), so Christine can step into the wedding dress, which at this stage is laid flat on the floor. This change takes about 30-40 seconds.

In the US the bodice is sometimes unzipped for the "Down once more" scene, but here Christine wears her WYWSHA cloak to cover it.

2. In general Christines don't wear corsets, corselets or anything boned underneath the costumes. This is because the bodices are heavily boned, and also made up of 3-4 layers of fabric. Hence they function as corsets. This gives more than enough support for the sylphides that plays Christine... I don't wear a corset for my Aminta replica, but the bodice is boned, and the panels are highly curved so it manipulates my body into an hourglass shape. But I know others that have made replicas of Christine's costumes sometimes prefer a corset underneath. As you're not in for quick changes, it's up to you. MY REPLICA:
http://aneafiles.webs.com/aminta.html

3. You're absolutely right about the Madrid version having separate bodice and skirt. I think it's the only one of its kind of the European versions. However, the US versions are made like that, with the bodice functioning like a little "jacket" with an embroidered end. I think the skirts and bodices are sewn together, though, something the Madrid version didn't appear to be. A bit peculiar, cause otherwise the Madrid version is pretty much identical to the UK ones (it was made in the UK, if I remember correctly). Maybe they remodelled it?

The costume design implies that the bodice is a separat "jacket" with finishing ruffle, like the Madrid and US ones. But just as often the stage costumes have a short bodice with a ruffle sewn to it, continuing into the skirt. I think this was the case in both Canada, Australia and Japan, as well as Europe.

COSTUME DESIGN:
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/amintadesign2.jpg

EUROPEAN VERSIONS:
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/uklbh1.jpg
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/amintahburg2.jpg
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/dmkarlsson2.jpg

MADRID VERSION:
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/spainmoller3.jpg
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/spainmoller2.jpg

US VERSIONS:
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/vegasholden1.jpg
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/ushanson1.jpg
https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/aminta/ussjf2.png

Post some pictures of your process, will you? I love seeing costumes "come alive".
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Well guys, I am officially ahead of my more or less non-existent schedule as I went back to the store again to have another look at the fabric I mentioned in my last post. Turns out there was a sale so I went ahead bought some of it. I don't have any good pictures currently, but for those of you curious about it, I can tell you that it's of a dark golden colour (which I think will look better on me than the salmon, which I never was a fan of anyway) with a black floral(ish) pattern. But because the pattern's rather large while I'm slightly smaller girl I may have to stick with only three layers for the skirt and go for volume instead of length. I really want four though as I think that's what looks best on the real costumes... but we'll see who/what wins out eventually. I also found a shawl to go with the costume. Best of all I paid no more than about 26 pounds for everything. Very Happy
Other than this I have my eyes on some white fabric for the apron and black/gold for the skirt underneath the salmon (or my case, golden), black frills for the neckline, a few ribbons for the sleeves and... no, I think that's it for now.

Thanks a lot for you input, operafantomet!
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Sounds wonderful, Vicomtesse. I can't wait to see some pictures. Would it be possible to make narrower ruffles on the skirt so you can fit four in without making it too long, or do you think that wouldn't work out? In any case, good luck with everything!
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Vicomtesse de Chagny wrote:Well guys, I am officially ahead of my more or less non-existent schedule as I went back to the store again to have another look at the fabric I mentioned in my last post. Turns out there was a sale so I went ahead bought some of it. I don't have any good pictures currently, but for those of you curious about it, I can tell you that it's of a dark golden colour (which I think will look better on me than the salmon, which I never was a fan of anyway) with a black floral(ish) pattern. But because the pattern's rather large while I'm slightly smaller girl I may have to stick with only three layers for the skirt and go for volume instead of length. I really want four though as I think that's what looks best on the real costumes... but we'll see who/what wins out eventually. I also found a shawl to go with the costume. Best of all I paid no more than about 26 pounds for everything. Very Happy
Other than this I have my eyes on some white fabric for the apron and black/gold for the skirt underneath the salmon (or my case, golden), black frills for the neckline, a few ribbons for the sleeves and... no, I think that's it for now.

Just a bit of sewing, and you're there! Wink You've done some good bargains so far, looking forward to follow the progress.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:07 am

The wedding dress is slowly getting there, but I need to do a serious remodeling of the bodice to be somewhat satisfied. Right now it annoys the crap out of me, because the materials are good and it was so nice some months ago. I don't know what happened, but the strained sleeves obviously didn't help...

*I need to expand it more over the bust, and thus make it more symmetrical in front. When I moved the buttons, left side became wider than right side, and it doesn't look right. By expanding the seam on right side, I'll hopefully both make it symmetrical and a better size...

*Although I am very happy about the lace cuffs, I need to turn it a bit more outwards than now. It is a lot more job than it sounds, bleeeh.

*The left basque part needs to be repositioned, I think.

*Somehow I need to iron or fix many of the seams. They look wonky (=annoying).

*And I want more sparkle on the lace of the skirt. Maybe similar to what I did on the upper cuffs.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Wedjuly
It looks a lot better than it is....
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Do you have more pics, Anea? It's hard to see what's bothering you from this one. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Indeed, I agree Phantomfett. Judging from that pic alone the dress looks gorgeous!

The shawl:
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Bilde025f

Closeup:
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Bilde022b

Dress fabric (photo doesn't show the colour too well - it's actually more golden) and shawl shown together:
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Bilde022d

Wanna guess how many layers I've actually got here?
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 15 Bilde008
But what do you guys think? Will the skirt be too crowded/busy like this? My waist would be about the top of the picture and the skirt would then reach down to my mid-calfs.
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next