Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 22 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 22 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  operafantomet Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:14 am

Råååmah! Laughing

They really do make awesome videos. And finally the monkey is speaking!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:16 pm

ROTFL! I think I may be in love with Earl's Michael Caine impersonation. Very Happy
charleygirl
charleygirl

http://www.charleygirl.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:48 pm

operafantomet wrote:Peter Jöback has been good with sharing his thoughts, everyday life, and lovely pictures towards his opening night. I think he use Instagram for his pictures, which gives them a nice antique touch. If you haven't followed him on Facebook, here's a re-post of some of the pictures:

The London production 2 - Page 22 Th_peterhmt The London production 2 - Page 22 Th_sofiapeter The London production 2 - Page 22 Th_jillbob
Party picture!, Sofia Escobar and Peter Jöback, plus Jill (Parker?) and Bob (McCarron?). The latter people are costume supervisor and mask maker for original Phantom in the UK. I write question mark behind their last names as I'm going by memory, and it can often be wrong... Feel free to correct me.

Hey operafantomet,
The london mask maker's name that you were looking for is Bob Saunders, and he is a legend!
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:50 pm

starryeyed wrote:It's nearly West End Eurovision time again... here is Phantom's ident:

The Only Way is Phantom

For those outside the UK, it's basically taking the mick out of a show here called "The Only Was is Essex" I won't go into what the show is about because, seriously, just count yourselves lucky it isn't on your screens. (And also it isn't actually about much...)

That's brilliant, I love Piangi. "Roma!"

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Some more Peter Joback photos that have been doing the rounds on Tumblr.

From the shoot we've seen previously (I rather like these auditorium shots):

The London production 2 - Page 22 Peterjoback5

The London production 2 - Page 22 Peterjoback7_1

The London production 2 - Page 22 Peterjoback8_1

Outside Her Majesty's:

The London production 2 - Page 22 Peterjoback9_1

Monday's curtain call:

The London production 2 - Page 22 Peterjoback6_1

The party following Monday's show (I assume the first one came from Peter's Facebook, but no one has been attributing the pics on Tumblr):

The London production 2 - Page 22 Cast_19thmarch_small

The London production 2 - Page 22 Peterjoback_sofiaescobar

charleygirl
charleygirl

http://www.charleygirl.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 am

Yesterday Peter Jöback's management announced that he's gonna tour Scandinavia with a musical theatre tour this autumn. I take that as the definite proof he will not renew his contract at HMT. According to an interview done this winter, the half year stint was according to his own wishes. I'm assuming the musical tour has been in planning for quite some time.

For those interested, the concert will contain songs from musicals Jöback has been in (Cabaret, Kristina, Phantom, Miss Saigon, Witches of Eastwick), and a couple others. The tour includes Peter Jöback, Ma-Anne Dionisio, Norm Lewis, plus Stockholm Sinfonietta, and is visiting giant stages in Gothenburg, Stockholm, Oslo, Karlstad, Linköping and Malmö.
http://www.peterjoback.com/turne_swedish.php
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:41 pm

just saw the London production tonight with Scott Davies, Katy Treharne and understudies for both Carlotta and Giry. I saw that Jöback was in earlier this week and would like to go back and catch him before I return to the US Wednesday morning. Since he just started I was surprised he was out. Silly question, but does he not do all 8? What shows does Treharne do at the moment? I'm assuming Thursday night is one of them. I'd like to see Sofia Escobar before I go.

edit: just looked upthread to see that apparently PJ does only 6, not performing Thurs. or Sun. night. I think that's lame and something that should be posted up front on the website and at the theatre (it wasn't anywhere I could see). Although I will say I am glad to have had the opportunity to see Scott Davies. I wish I had paid attention earlier so that I could have scheduled going twice to see PJ, Davies, Treharne and Escobar. Maybe I can work it out anyway.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 am

Glad you enjoyed the show...

Sofia Escobar is on holiday this week. I assume she'll back next week. She performs all performances except Monday and Friday nights, generally.

If Peter doesn't do all 8 shows a week, he's not skipping a Sunday performance, since none exists.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:Glad you enjoyed the show...

Sofia Escobar is on holiday this week. I assume she'll back next week. She performs all performances except Monday and Friday nights, generally.

If Peter doesn't do all 8 shows a week, he's not skipping a Sunday performance, since none exists.

Thanks, I suppose I meant Saturday nights. Upthread it says that he only does the matinees on Thursday and Saturday.

So since I was seeing Katy cover the principal Christine slot, I suppose Claire Doyle is on this week- I guess I should try again tonight (Friday) to see PJ and Doyle? Hmmm. Stinks that I am already seeing "Matilda" Tuesday night or I could see PJ and Escobar.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 am

Claire Doyle is an amazing Christine, so you won't be disappointed with her in the least, methinks!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:49 am

ravnquest1 wrote:just saw the London production tonight with Scott Davies, Katy Treharne and understudies for both Carlotta and Giry. I saw that Jöback was in earlier this week and would like to go back and catch him before I return to the US Wednesday morning. Since he just started I was surprised he was out. Silly question, but does he not do all 8? What shows does Treharne do at the moment? I'm assuming Thursday night is one of them. I'd like to see Sofia Escobar before I go.

edit: just looked upthread to see that apparently PJ does only 6, not performing Thurs. or Sun. night. I think that's lame and something that should be posted up front on the website and at the theatre (it wasn't anywhere I could see).
According to Peter Jöback's official web site he IS performing all 8 shows a week:

Peter’s performance times from March 19th to September 1st 2012:
Monday-Saturday evenings 7.30pm
Thursday & Saturday matinees 2.30pm

He was merely off sick, or that is at least what a couple of his fans were told at the theatre yesterday. I hope he's not already experiencing vocal fatigue. I still have my doubt on changing one's natural timbre is good for ones voice. But it might have been more innocent than that. As mentioned Sofia Escobar is on holiday, which means Katy Treharne is performing in her place. I think she does Mondays and Fridays usually. Very interesting duo you got, though. Not one many get to experience!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 am

Thanks all. I am going to go back this evening and see who I get, and I will report back. I really enjoyed Davies' performance, but would certainly like to see Jöback before I go, since this is my first time back to London in 6 years and I think we know he's only doing the 6 months.

I too hope he's back tonight and not not out for an extended period, but I agree with you operafantomet, it doesn't sound like jumping into the deep end of the pool that is this part and then having to alter your natural voice is good for you. Some performers can do that but many can't.

It's funny that last time I was in London in August of 2005 I happened to pick Earl Carpenter's Holiday week and got Matt Cammelle- seems that is my luck. I should learn to do my research before I book my trip Smile

I read the good things posted about Claire Boyle's Christine also, so I am looking forward to that.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:41 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:Thanks all. I am going to go back this evening and see who I get, and I will report back. I really enjoyed Davies' performance, but would certainly like to see Jöback before I go, since this is my first time back to London in 6 years and I think we know he's only doing the 6 months.

I too hope he's back tonight and not not out for an extended period, but I agree with you operafantomet, it doesn't sound like jumping into the deep end of the pool that is this part and then having to alter your natural voice is good for you. Some performers can do that but many can't.
Looks like he was out from Friday evening and until yesterday. He's written reply to several of his fans on FB it was due to illness. But if I've understood it correctly, he will be back on tonight. So swing by there and see what they say.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 pm

What do you mean by changing his natural voice/timbre?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:What do you mean by changing his natural voice/timbre?
According to an interview he did, he was asked to lower his voice, or the timbre ("colour") of his voice, during early rehearsals. His natural voice is lighter and more high-pitched. As long as his technique is good, I think he will handle it. But if not, it will cause vocal fatigue. Imagine changing the the way you speak a whole day. It's exhausting. But not necessarily bad if you know your instrument.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:55 pm

From what little I've heard of him in the role so far, he must've had a REALLY high voice before if he's deepened it.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Operafantomet, I arrived Wednesday this week and swear I saw his name on the house board then. I had to kill 6 hours before my hotel room was available so I walked by HMT. I already have my ticket for tonight (slightly restricted Dress Circle seat). I am off to the theatre shortly and will report back later this evening.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:Operafantomet, I arrived Wednesday this week and swear I saw his name on the house board then. I had to kill 6 hours before my hotel room was available so I walked by HMT. I already have my ticket for tonight (slightly restricted Dress Circle seat). I am off to the theatre shortly and will report back later this evening.
It's not like the HMT staff are kings/queens of cast board updates... Laughing

Have a fantastic evening, and report back if you have the time. I'm thinking you're seeing Peter Jöback and Claire Doyle tonight? If he's recovered and she's following Katy Treharne's track, I mean.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Well...

we guessed correctly. I did indeed see Peter Jöback and the magnificent Claire Doyle this evening. It took me a long time to realize it, but she has this Patti Cohenour-like husky quality to her voice that is just fantastic. I always love seeing a very young, new Christine with not a lot of performances under her belt- it makes the naive uncertainty of "Think of Me" work so well. Doyle's confidence grew along with Christine's, and it was great. One of the best-acted Christines I've seen in a long time. It will take me a little bit to compile my thoughts on Peter Jöback, but I do echo other poster's opinions, he could be a great Phantom. He did pretty well tonight overall, but I certainly think his voice will not be everyone's cup of tea.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:25 am

Yay! The Claire Doyle support train is growing. Very Happy
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:04 pm

How often plays Claire Doyle?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:34 am

SenorSwanky wrote:From what little I've heard of him in the role so far, he must've had a REALLY high voice before if he's deepened it.
Didn't you hear/see the Royal Albert Hall clip, with him and the other Phantoms? There is a noticable difference between his voice there and his voice at Her Majesty's. I'm not saying he's become a bass baritone over night. You can still hear the "old" voice peak through every now and then. But overall he's gotten more substance to his voice.

SweetChristine, Claire Doyle is the understudy Christine. This means she doesn't have any specific days she plays, she fills in when one of the other Christines are indisposed. The exception is when one of the others is off for a longer time, either due to holiday or sickness. Then Doyle will most likely perform their schedule. When principal Sofia Escobar was on holiday, alternate Katy Treharne did her shows. In turn, Claire Doyle performed in Katy Treharne's track, with two shows a week.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:35 am

Yeah, I don't hear much if any difference between the RAH bits and now.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:35 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Yeah, I don't hear much if any difference between the RAH bits and now.

I definitely think he sounds different now to how he did at the RAH. A lot of people seem to be deciding if he is any good purely on the recordings of his MOTN and Final lair that are floating around the web which is a bit unfair really especially as you judge how good a phantom is from an audio recording even if it's the full show. I understand that his voice isn't to everyones liking and I'll admit that when I heard him on the RAH concert I thought his voice was totally wrong for the Phantom. I changed my mind when I saw him on his opening night, I thought he was great, his acting was awesome and his voice was very good and had improved from RAH but yes some parts could do with a little tweaking and I bet he is even better already. He's definitely near the top of my list of phantoms. Sorry, just thought I'd have a little rant lol oh and SenorSwanky the rant wasn't aimed at you I was just getting annoyed with the many haters who say they will avoid the show while Peter is Phantom based on the opening night recording or the RAH appearance. I shall hopefully be seeing the show again on Thursday and I'm really hoping that when I get there Peter is off like last week, it'll be just my luck that I'll get Scott Davies again ha.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:05 pm

I've actually seen him onstage, so here is what I think:

To be honest I thought Peter Joback was a good Phantom. His voice actually reminds me of Rob Guest the most, and what I like about his voice is that it's distinctive and unique. When you hear his voice you know you are hearing The Phantom- and I've found that is not always true, especially in the last couple of years. What I mean is that the "Voice of the Phantom" doesn't stand out from the rest of the voices you hear onstage, and his does. It's something you either have or don't have, and it's part of that larger-than-life "star" performance that is necessary for this part. Especially since the sound isn't helping anymore- the super "Phantom" reverb effects are mostly gone with Martin Levan's design.

Unlike Paul Stanley (who Joback also sounds like), PJ can sustain the notes and sing the score well. Is his voice going to blow you away? No, but the talent is there. I hope whatever he's doing is healthy for him

What is missing now is a comfort level- that's it. He's hitting all of his marks, moving well and singing well- he's just not comfortable yet. I'm not sure how much acting experience he's had (I'm not that familiar with his career), he's doing what he needs to do onstage. He just hasn't found the character yet and the end of the show did not seem genuine- he evoked no sadness or sympathy from the audience, even from the many Swedish ladies in the crowd the other night that would have been easily swayed.

He's done only 10 or 15 scattered shows (right?), and already had to go on opposite 3 different Christines. Let him get comfortable in the part for a little and then maybe some of you UK folks that can go to HM often can judge.

BTW, the front of house staff did confirm for me that PJ is only doing 6 months. They weren't even sure if he was getting his own souvenir brochure. The one they had last week was still Carpenter/JOJ.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:25 pm

See I thought his acting was excellent and I loved the way he played the role. He is only in the show for 6 months but I think he will get his own brochure, usually the brochure is printed the month following the cast change so I'm thinking it'll be out this month sometime.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:32 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:BTW, the front of house staff did confirm for me that PJ is only doing 6 months.
That detail has been on his web site for a long time, and as I wrote above he announced a musical concert tour this fall, with him as one of the leads - which obviously cannot be combined with him playing the Phantom. So September 1st is his final date. Pretty sure they'll make a new brochure, though. They bothered to make a new one for the short period where JOJ/Carpenter overlapped (though many pictures were re-used), and in the past they've also made new brochures for short runs. Even for Niklas Andersson's 5 month stint in 2003. But it's usually finished some 2 months into the run of the new cast.

Interesting, what you wrote there, about unique voice and comfort level. I agree with both sentiments. It's odd, he has tons of acting experience (Kristina, Witches of Eastwick, Miss Saigon, Cabaret...) and he's been on stage most of his life in one way or another. I guess he deep within just feels immense pressure, knowing he has a lot to prove being brand new, a foreigner AND one receiving less positive feedback after his RAH stint. Combine that with very little actual stage rehearsals (someone wrote he only had one full run-through?), and I can see why he's still not there. He also wrote in his blog the other day that he's still trying out acting ideas. I don't know to what extent or which scenes, though. On the other hand, I always thought David Shannon would settle in the role and become one of the great ones. But he never did. Except for his last week, when he apparently did it his own way...

SenorSwanky, you cannot tell there's a difference from his RAH performance and his current one? I am surprised. It's not like he's changed completely, but I get the same feeling listening to him pre and post premiere as I do listening to Crawford pre and post Phantom. I can hear the same... essence, but the "body" of the voice is much changed. But I know you prefer booming voices, and he will never be a boomer!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:32 pm

operafantomet wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:From what little I've heard of him in the role so far, he must've had a REALLY high voice before if he's deepened it.
Didn't you hear/see the Royal Albert Hall clip, with him and the other Phantoms? There is a noticable difference between his voice there and his voice at Her Majesty's. I'm not saying he's become a bass baritone over night. You can still hear the "old" voice peak through every now and then. But overall he's gotten more substance to his voice.

SweetChristine, Claire Doyle is the understudy Christine. This means she doesn't have any specific days she plays, she fills in when one of the other Christines are indisposed. The exception is when one of the others is off for a longer time, either due to holiday or sickness. Then Doyle will most likely perform their schedule. When principal Sofia Escobar was on holiday, alternate Katy Treharne did her shows. In turn, Claire Doyle performed in Katy Treharne's track, with two shows a week.

Thank you, I know Claire Doyle is the understudy. But I hope I´ll see her as Christine.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:Especially since the sound isn't helping anymore- the super "Phantom" reverb effects are mostly gone with Martin Levan's design.
Is that true on Broadway as well? Seems like it sounded different to me last summer there, as well as the last time I saw the tour.

I do agree the Phantom needs a unique, ethereal voice, which is part of why I love MC, Colm, PK, Gaines, Barton, etc.

operafantomet wrote:SenorSwanky, you cannot tell there's a difference from his RAH performance and his current one?
Not really, at least from two listens to the RAH bits and one of the first-performance MOTN and FL clips that are out there. At least not to something that sounds sufficiently Phantom-ish to me.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but obviously I won't get to see him in person.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Saw the show today, it was excellent as always. Peter has improved already even though I thought he was great on his first night, he has got even better. His voice has improved quite a bit in places i think he sounds even more like MC in a lot of places and a little like Dave willetts. He seems a lot more confident in role and he seems settled now and his acting has got even better in places there seems to be more anger and emotion in STYDI and Final lair.His Wandering child scene is probably one of the best I've seen. I really do think he's a great phantom already and he's only done around 16 performances. I spoke to him before the show and he said he was very very nervous on his first night as he had only 3 weeks rehearsal and only one run through with the orchestra. Nadim Naaman was on as Raoul, he was pretty good although he didn't stand out that much to me I also thought he looked very young. The rest of the cast were excellent as always although sadly I wasn't too impressed by Barry James which is a shame as he's an awesome Thenardier.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28 ... 34  Next