Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 21 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 21 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  EarlFan Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:23 am

Two more pictures of Peter:
The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_1

The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_3
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:07 pm

I cant remember who that second pic reminds me so much of............yes he kinda resembles Kevin Gray but thats not it, maybe its just the mask, it looks very Swiss, i guess the same person that made the london masks did the ones for the Swiss show. Let's just hope he sounds as good as he looks
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:I cant remember who that second pic reminds me so much of............yes he kinda resembles Kevin Gray but thats not it, maybe its just the mask, it looks very Swiss, i guess the same person that made the london masks did the ones for the Swiss show. Let's just hope he sounds as good as he looks

The eye behind the mask reminds of me Ramin Karimloo for some reason but then the unmasked side throws it off a bit, not sure if that is who you are thinking of. Definitely is reminiscent of someone...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Lycanthrope wrote:I attended today's matinee and just thought I would post a few remarks about the show. I must admit I saw Earl some six years ago and wasn't keen, but I feel I was unfair on him then as he is not the vocal powerhouse that JOJ is (the only Phantom I'd seen prior to that point), although his voice is good. However, Peter Jöback has some big shoes to fill: Earl was fantastic today. He simply understands the character, bringing back the sense of majesty and elegance that Ramin lacked. POTO and MOTN are marked by slow, deliberate movements as he quite literally enchants Christine with his music - and even then there are brief glimpses of the fear beneath that, in the vehement refusal to allow Christine to touch his mask. The carry was quite deliberate, he considered what to do with Christine and was most delicate in covering her with the cloak (which he did very late). My impression of his Phantom was of a masterful one, controlled and yet there is the hint of a sensitivity and tenderness beneath the facade. The end to STYDI brought tears to my eyes as he made it most clear - by gesticulating to the mirror bride and to Christine - that his hopes of transcending his miserable existence lay on her and her talents and the quiet devastation that these were now dashed.

Although I can't deny his Phantom appears cold and calculating for most of the show - his "You try my patience" was magnificent, interspersed with a chuckle to himself - this cool veneer falls away during and after the kiss, where his entire physicality shifts into a quivering wreck of a man. His "Christine, I love you" was so soft it was almost inaudible; he refused to take the ring back, then when Christine insisted, fell to one knee and held out the ring to her (he did this in his previous run but it was heart-rending here: it was him begging her, his head bowed in recognition of how unworthy he was and how he did not deserve her and yet he felt compelled to give it one last attempt). There were indications of his shift in physicality during PONR, where, as Christine approached him during her verse, he seemed to 'freak out', for want of a better term - he simply had no idea how to handle the situation, in spite of him being its mastermind, with his entire upper body trembling.

My only question in Earl's performance would be why his recorded track for the title song is as bad, if not worse than the one he had during his run as principal 2005-7 - he appears to really strain for the high notes in the first verse. Such a shame as the rest of the performance was first-rate - as an actor he really excels at subtly playing key moments (quite different to Scott Davies who I felt overplayed the Final Lair so that it seemed affected). Also he appears to really live the moment and think onstage, a trait which I admire in any actor performing in a long-running show.

(...)

I'm quite intrigued as to how Peter Jöback will be, and if I do see him perform, I'll go in with an open mind. From the articles posted here he seems to have really worked hard on the character of the Phantom (and comes off as a nice guy with considerable humility). However, Earl has most definitely set a high benchmark.
This! This! Exactly this. His Phantom might appear controlling and cold, but you never need scratch deep under the surface to see his vulnerability and fear. When I saw him the first time, he spent the whole show avoiding letting Christine touch him, or so it appeared, and I remember that STYDI detail so well. Totally loved what he did, and I am so sad I missed him this time around. I doubt he'll return doing the role at HMT after doing the tour.

As for Peter Jöback, very cool pictures. Are anyone seeing him in his first week performing?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:01 pm

operafantomet wrote:
This! This! Exactly this. His Phantom might appear controlling and cold, but you never need scratch deep under the surface to see his vulnerability and fear. When I saw him the first time, he spent the whole show avoiding letting Christine touch him, or so it appeared, and I remember that STYDI detail so well. Totally loved what he did, and I am so sad I missed him this time around. I doubt he'll return doing the role at HMT after doing the tour.

As for Peter Jöback, very cool pictures. Are anyone seeing him in his first week performing?

I shall be there tomorrow for his opening night, I'm looking forward to it I have a feeling he'll be good. Hope I'm right.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:50 pm

London-Phan wrote:
operafantomet wrote:

I shall be there tomorrow for his opening night, I'm looking forward to it I have a feeling he'll be good. Hope I'm right.

Oh great, then we have the first review from you! Wish you a good show!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 am

Apparently our new Phantom got a complete standing ovation! If this is right (which I don't see why not) that's pretty good going especially from a Monday audience.

Can't wait to see a review from the members who were there tonight! Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:32 am

starryeyed wrote:Apparently our new Phantom got a complete standing ovation! If this is right (which I don't see why not) that's pretty good going especially from a Monday audience.

Can't wait to see a review from the members who were there tonight! Smile

Yes, he did! And it was well deserved I must say.

Back after watching Jöback's premiere. Will write a short review. I must say I was happily surprised, he did really well. Seemed to be principal cast tonight apart from Duncan Smith who was on as Firmin.

Before the show started the auditorium seemed to buzz with excitement, apparently not only me who was curious to see our new Phantom. There were a lot of fellow swedes where I sat and everyone seemed to pretty much have the same main thought: "Please don't be a disappointment, we want you to do this really well, make Sweden proud!". Razz

When it was time for Peter to do the mirror scene I actually felt a bit nervous. What if this will sound terrible? I must admit I had sort of prepared for the worst. But his voice came out much more clear and strong than I had thought. Overall I liked the parts he sung live better than his recorded parts of the show. You could tell he really gave it all tonight. The main thing he needs to improve though, is his accent. In some places it sounds really American and in others very Swedish. Some parts, e.g certain movements, reminded me of Earl Carpenter so I guess he's learned some things from watching him. He got a wonderful applause after MOTN, I would say it was well deserved, he did the scene brlliantly. His "be" came out really good, I was a bit worried about that!

He managed to do all the technical stuff as well, got the lasso round Killian's neck, disappeared from the throne in time. No mishaps there. The only thing I noticed was just before "behold, she is singing...". He didn't show up in the right window in time (if that makes sense) so for a while the audience just saw an empty window before he came out and started pulling the chandelier rope. At the end of the show there was a well deserved standing ovation.

Some pretty big shoes to fill after John and Earl and there is still room for improvement but for his very first night I would say he should be proud of his performance. Went to the stage door afterwards just in case he would come out but they had a party going on in there of course so he didn't. Razz

I will probably see him again in a few weeks time when a friend of mine is coming to visit. Will be interesting to see what his performance will be like then.

EarlFan
EarlFan

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:15 am

I thought he was brilliant! Think I might have a new favourite phantom! I was very impressed, I was sat waiting for the mirror to hear how he would sound. I think his voice is very good and there was alot of times where he sounded very much like Crawford IMO. He really did put alot into his performance and his acting was awesome he did some very nice and different thing, some things that I haven't seen anyone do before (I'm not saying no one has done them before but it was things I hadn't seen anyone do) He definitely deserved his standing ovation. I did panic at one moment during POTO just before he took of his hat/cloak he tripped/stumbled luckily he didn't fall or anything. I shall be going to see him again soon. I'll go into a little more detail about the things he did that I liked tomorrow as I'm quite tired now Very Happy

Oh yeah, I noticed the accent thing too, it wasn't too bad some places were worse than others but it didn't really take away from his performance and my friend said she didn't even notice an accent.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 am

I umm.. heard his MOTN, and I was positively suprised. Not bad at all. Once he settles down, he'll be wonderful.
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 am

::fist pump with excitement:: So thrilled it went well.

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:I umm.. heard his MOTN, and I was positively suprised. Not bad at all. Once he settles down, he'll be wonderful.

Yup... Just needs to relax into it more, and he'll be there.

Ugh... I miss the London production so much.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:11 am

Yay! I'm so glad to hear it went well!
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:09 am

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:I umm.. heard his MOTN, and I was positively suprised. Not bad at all. Once he settles down, he'll be wonderful.

Ditto! I thought he sounded fantastic! He has a sound that is mysterious and... for lack of better word... "dark" without having to make it sound so. Very natural in the role from what I heard, would love to hear his AIAOY reprise! I think London is in for a real surprise with this one!
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:19 am

I still found Joback's timbre too harshly nasal in places, but he has definitely improved from his poor showing in the RAH concert, and hopefully will continue to do so as he eases into the role.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:53 am

There is a MOTN clip circulating on the internet, at wild speed, so I gave in an listened to it. And yes, we have a good Phantom in making!

He told in an interview he was asked to darken his voice, and you can tell there is a difference from RAH to now. His voice is pleasant to listen to, and with an interesting sound. I can still hear his nasal "twang" underneath, but as long as it's as toned down as it is, it don't bother me. I liked what I heard. He also sounded like he knew what the role was all about, I would like to see his acting live.

What did bother me, however - and this came as a total surprise - was that he was not too synced with the orchestra. It sounded like he started too early at one point, and came in late another place, and he didn't hold the notes very long so the orchestra soared on without him. I've heard another Phantom making it hard for the conductor to follow him; Flemming Enevold in Denmark. But his "syncoped" singing was a deliberate choice. He showed that he was the one in charge both through vocals and the acting. With Jöback it just sounded like insecurity, or even lack of rehearsals. I hope he gets more in sync with the orchestra when he settles in the role.

Also, he has the Scandinavian need to pronounce the R's, which makes him jump to American rather than British pronounciation of certain words. "SoaRRR" comes to mind. It's probably nitpicking this early on, but I was surprised by the technicalities. He is a seasoned performer, I see no reason why he and the orchestra should not follow eachother better, and it didn't sound like the issue was with the conductor.

As for standing ovation, it was probably well deserved. But if there were many Scandinavians in the audience, they probably contributed to it. Brits only do it if immensely pleased by an extraordinary good stage experience, while in Scandinavia it's almost always done. Even if the performance was average. If a bunch of Scandinavians were on their feet last night, many probably fans of Jöback too, I would think it affected the whole atmosphere of the auditorium. Nice welcome to Jöback, anyhow!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:19 am

Peter Jöback has been good with sharing his thoughts, everyday life, and lovely pictures towards his opening night. I think he use Instagram for his pictures, which gives them a nice antique touch. If you haven't followed him on Facebook, here's a re-post of some of the pictures:

The London production 2 - Page 21 Peterjoback2
First costume fitting. He writes changes were done, but not what they were. Looking good.

The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_peterhmt The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_sofiapeter The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_jillbob
Party picture!, Sofia Escobar and Peter Jöback, plus Jill (Parker?) and Bob (McCarron?). The latter people are costume supervisor and mask maker for original Phantom in the UK. I write question mark behind their last names as I'm going by memory, and it can often be wrong... Feel free to correct me.

The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_rdinmaking The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_organ The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_auditorium The London production 2 - Page 21 Th_hmt
Red Death in making, view of the organ, the auditorium of HMT, and the exterior.

All these pictures comes from his Facebook site and his official site blog:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.182820883222.150368.121537983222&type=3 and
http://www.peterjoback.com/blogg_swedish.php?fromArchive=1&m=2&y=2012
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:25 am

operafantomet wrote:

What did bother me, however - and this came as a total surprise - was that he was not too synced with the orchestra. It sounded like he started too early at one point, and came in late another place, and he didn't hold the notes very long so the orchestra soared on without him.

This might have been due to lack of rehearsal, if I understood it right he basically only had one proper walkthrough with the orchestra so I was indeed wondering before the performance how well he would work with them. But I tried not to bother to much about that during his performance and instead concentrate on other things.

operafantomet wrote:
As for standing ovation, it was probably well deserved. But if there were many Scandinavians in the audience, they probably contributed to it. Brits only do it if immensely pleased by an extraordinary good stage experience, while in Scandinavia it's almost always done.

I think some of the Brits were impressed to, most people in my row were British and they were standing up even before I did. And also when leaving the theatre I listened to people talking about the show and most people seemed to think he had done it really well.
EarlFan
EarlFan

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:13 am

EarlFan wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
As for standing ovation, it was probably well deserved. But if there were many Scandinavians in the audience, they probably contributed to it. Brits only do it if immensely pleased by an extraordinary good stage experience, while in Scandinavia it's almost always done.
I think some of the Brits were impressed to, most people in my row were British and they were standing up even before I did. And also when leaving the theatre I listened to people talking about the show and most people seemed to think he had done it really well.
Oh definitely. I didn't mean to say the applause was not well deserved, just that us Scandinavians are so obedient and enthusiastic in our applause. I meant to say it probably heightened the applause. If that makes sense.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 am

This isn't a proper review because I'm no good at those lol. But I did say there was a few things that Peter did that I thought were really good that I'd not seen done by anyone before. When he first appears in the mirror instead of having the cloak wrapped around himself like all the others I've seen, he opened his arms out wide almost towards Christine as he appeared and kept them there until he sang I am your angel. I thought it looked really good and it was different to what I had seen before. As the red death he had a lot more movement than the phantom normally does as he's coming down the stairs. In wandering child he came out of the cross quite strangely, he looked like he was coming out of it during the Wishing applause but then he stopped and came out with his back facing the audience and started to turn on his heels slightly, Christine was almost offstage as he turned his head to look back over his shoulder to look at her then he started singing. This seemed a little strange at first but I liked it. Then instead of reaching into the cross to get the skull staff he did this awesome looking thing where he twirled his cloak and it was like the staff just appeared in his hands from nowhere! At the end of PONR as Christine pulled his hood down he actually tried to run in several directions before realising he was trapped, which sounds like what most phantoms do but this was different. In the final lair there was lots of good things but the thing that sticks out the most was as Christine came back to give him the ring, just as he turned to see her stood there he whispered she's back and after he sang Christine, I love you he mouthed the word I love you. All the other parts of his performance were excellent but these were just some of the little things he did that I thought were great, I hope he keeps them in. I think he will get even better during his run and I can't wait to see him again.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks to those who attended Peter's first performance and shared their thoughts here.

I am so pleased to hear that Peter has improved and was well-received for his inaugural performance. I know there's been a lot of negativity - both here on this board and elsewhere - regarding his suitability for the role based on the RAH. I don't know how much he knew of the criticism of his performance from that production, but it seems that even if he did know of it he rose above it in fine style.

The thought had occurred to me a while back that the nasal tone that he deployed in the RAH was somewhat reminiscent of Crawford's early work - so I didn't think it was impossible for him to alter his timbre, just that I didn't know whether he could do it. I'm very glad that he got some good coaching, it seems, both vocally and acting-wise.

I wonder how long it will be before we get some pro-shot promotional footage of him? Very Happy

~Madame~

Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Madame Giry wrote:I wonder how long it will be before we get some pro-shot promotional footage of him? Very Happy

~Madame~

Oh probably some time! I hate moaning about how slowly HM's updates things (as I think on Broadway they don't do new brochures for every cast?) but they do seem very slow on the uptake. The JOJ brochure was released about a week before he left (and therefore was quickly out of date) but I'd hope that considering there is a new Phantom and new alternate Christine now that they would shoot and release a new brochure pretty quickly.

In terms of actual video footage then we probably won't see much if any though perhaps he may crop up on a daytime television show here (The Alan Titchmarsh Show springs to mind) though I believe both Ramin (and JOJ on another occasion?) have been on that recently singing Music of the Night.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Swedish newspapers reviews the show Peter Jöback as the Phantom:

http://www.expressen.se/noje/phantom-of-the-opera/ (nice curtain call picture)
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/scen/article14549549.ab (scary curtain call picture)
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

operafantomet wrote:There is a MOTN clip circulating on the internet, at wild speed, so I gave in an listened to it. And yes, we have a good Phantom in making!

He told in an interview he was asked to darken his voice, and you can tell there is a difference from RAH to now. His voice is pleasant to listen to, and with an interesting sound. I can still hear his nasal "twang" underneath, but as long as it's as toned down as it is, it don't bother me. I liked what I heard. He also sounded like he knew what the role was all about, I would like to see his acting live.

What did bother me, however - and this came as a total surprise - was that he was not too synced with the orchestra. It sounded like he started too early at one point, and came in late another place, and he didn't hold the notes very long so the orchestra soared on without him. I've heard another Phantom making it hard for the conductor to follow him; Flemming Enevold in Denmark. But his "syncoped" singing was a deliberate choice. He showed that he was the one in charge both through vocals and the acting. With Jöback it just sounded like insecurity, or even lack of rehearsals. I hope he gets more in sync with the orchestra when he settles in the role.

Also, he has the Scandinavian need to pronounce the R's, which makes him jump to American rather than British pronounciation of certain words. "SoaRRR" comes to mind. It's probably nitpicking this early on, but I was surprised by the technicalities. He is a seasoned performer, I see no reason why he and the orchestra should not follow eachother better, and it didn't sound like the issue was with the conductor.

I listened to it, too. I did hear he was a bit off from the orchestration, but I chalked it up to nerves. It's a very big part, lots riding on it and I'm sure he was aware some of the negativity from phans after the 25th RAH. But what I heard I loved. Really reminded me of Michael Crawford. I thought I'd never hear that type of voice again in Phantom.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:30 pm

Not sure how everyone's hearing MC. Doesn't sound at all like him to me, but I do somewhat like what I hear. He was very rushed though. Would've liked a little more leisurely pace. He sounds more like Cris Groenendaal and some other earlier Phantoms to me; maybe a little Rick Hilsabeck. Both of those guys sound a bit like MC at times, but have a bit higher lilt, more vibrato, and more nasally-ness, like Joback.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

There was definitely a few times during the show where I thought he sounded a lot like MC. I thought he sound great throughout the whole show. There was times where he was slightly ahead of the orchestra, most noticeable to me was in AIAOY reprise when he sang he was bound to love you. I'm guessing it's because he had only one rehearsal with the orchestra prior to the performance.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  PridePhan Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Anyone who can tell me when they normally tells us when the next guy will be? In this case after Peter Jöback.

I will be in London sep 13 and want to know. Isn't it time soon to decide that if Peter only staying until Sep 1 or something
PridePhan
PridePhan

http://www.walentine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:41 pm

Usually the new cast is confirmed (as in the cast themselves know) around June and it can be sometime after that before the public finds out. However, lately they have announced The Phantom's quite early so you may find out sooner. Rumours point to it being Simon Bowman though but no one seems to have any definitive proof of that (and recently I saw a David Shannon rumour so I think they are just that, rumours.)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:01 am

It's nearly West End Eurovision time again... here is Phantom's ident:

The Only Way is Phantom

For those outside the UK, it's basically taking the mick out of a show here called "The Only Was is Essex" I won't go into what the show is about because, seriously, just count yourselves lucky it isn't on your screens. (And also it isn't actually about much...)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:20 am

starryeyed wrote:It's nearly West End Eurovision time again... here is Phantom's ident:

The Only Way is Phantom

For those outside the UK, it's basically taking the mick out of a show here called "The Only Was is Essex" I won't go into what the show is about because, seriously, just count yourselves lucky it isn't on your screens. (And also it isn't actually about much...)
Ahahahaha! I love them so much! Laughing Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 am

operafantomet wrote:
starryeyed wrote:It's nearly West End Eurovision time again... here is Phantom's ident:

The Only Way is Phantom

Ahahahaha! I love them so much! Laughing Laughing

Hahahaha, The Only Way Is Phantom, that's brilliant Laughing They always make great videos, I pressed replay a couple of times Very Happy
EarlFan
EarlFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next