Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 20 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  EarlFan Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Helen wrote:
MajesticPhantom wrote:Below are my earlier posted thoughts on their performances. To further explain "gesture" from the first paragraph.... Doyle explains/communicates through song as if in dialogue...she will gesture in very clear and personalised ways what her heart is expressing. Really, REALLY remarkable work. In addition, the Davies/Doyle pairing is complementary... Her desire for something to believe in was accentuated by his age and interpretation- a mentor, a figure of authority, A GUIDE... and to see her realise he wasn't these things was devastating.

I totally agree with you. She really is a stunning Christine, I'm so pleased I got to see her. She really did seem torn between her love for Raoul and her belief in the Phantom. Nadim Namaan was Raoul at the performance I saw, I really liked him.

Claire Doyle sounds like a fantastic Christine, I would like to see her in the role. I'm going to Her Majesty's this Friday to get the chance to see Earl in the role one last time before he leaves. Nadim Namaan is on as Raoul up to and including Friday, I've seen him once before and really liked him, so I'm looking forward to see him again. According to Killian Donnelly's twitter, he's off because he's working on the Les Mis movie.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm

EarlFan wrote:
Helen wrote:
MajesticPhantom wrote:Below are my earlier posted thoughts on their performances. To further explain "gesture" from the first paragraph.... Doyle explains/communicates through song as if in dialogue...she will gesture in very clear and personalised ways what her heart is expressing. Really, REALLY remarkable work. In addition, the Davies/Doyle pairing is complementary... Her desire for something to believe in was accentuated by his age and interpretation- a mentor, a figure of authority, A GUIDE... and to see her realise he wasn't these things was devastating.

I totally agree with you. She really is a stunning Christine, I'm so pleased I got to see her. She really did seem torn between her love for Raoul and her belief in the Phantom. Nadim Namaan was Raoul at the performance I saw, I really liked him.

Claire Doyle sounds like a fantastic Christine, I would like to see her in the role. I'm going to Her Majesty's this Friday to get the chance to see Earl in the role one last time before he leaves. Nadim Namaan is on as Raoul up to and including Friday, I've seen him once before and really liked him, so I'm looking forward to see him again. According to Killian Donnelly's twitter, he's off because he's working on the Les Mis movie.
That's cool. He's probably one of the students. Must be in rehearsals because I don't think they start filming til next month.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Yes, it's the movie rehearsals. He's playing Combeferre.
charleygirl
charleygirl

http://www.charleygirl.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:54 pm

HA! I wonder if his star turn in the JOJ vs. Killian vids got him the role.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 am

Nooooo! I just realize I'm missing out on Earl Carpenter at Her Majesty's Theatre. It felt like he would be there forever, and that spring was far away when he took over the role. I was sure I would be able to take a quick trip to London before he left. Now I realize I won't.

So I guess it's Peter Jöback for me then... Which I planned on seeing anyway, and which I admit I'm mighty curious on how will handle the transaction to the stage. But I wanted to see him... well, more for fun, and maybe be positively surprised. I wanted to see Earl Carpenter because he is one of my absolute favourites in the role. And he's leaving March 17th. Neutral
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:16 am

operafantomet wrote:Nooooo! I just realize I'm missing out on Earl Carpenter at Her Majesty's Theatre. It felt like he would be there forever, and that spring was far away when he took over the role. I was sure I would be able to take a quick trip to London before he left. Now I realize I won't.

So I guess it's Peter Jöback for me then... Which I planned on seeing anyway, and which I admit I'm mighty curious on how will handle the transaction to the stage. But I wanted to see him... well, more for fun, and maybe be positively surprised. I wanted to see Earl Carpenter because he is one of my absolute favourites in the role. And he's leaving March 17th. Neutral

Yeah I felt a bit like that when I saw the show in January ! I was looking forward to seeing Earl again as I'd only seen him once back in 2004 and thought he was very good and everyone was saying how much he had improved. But when I got there he wasn't on. And I thought I would get a chance to go again before he left but I won't, but I'm going on the 19th and really looking forward to it.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:25 pm

So, when does Peter start making his debut?
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:29 pm

ML6 wrote:So, when does Peter start making his debut?
Peter’s performance times from March 19th to September 1st 2012:
Monday-Saturday evenings 7.30pm
Thursday & Saturday matinees 2.30pm

Peter will have a holiday break during the 3rd-10th of June 2012.
Unforeseen changes may occur.

http://www.peterjoback.com/index_swedish.php
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm

operafantomet wrote:
ML6 wrote:So, when does Peter start making his debut?
Peter’s performance times from March 19th to September 1st 2012:
Monday-Saturday evenings 7.30pm
Thursday & Saturday matinees 2.30pm

Peter will have a holiday break during the 3rd-10th of June 2012.
Unforeseen changes may occur.

http://www.peterjoback.com/index_swedish.php

Oh jeez, its coming fast. I'm so excited and scared at the same time. I expect lots of reports in here, people.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:01 pm

I'll be there on the 19th, I actually think he'll be good. I'm hoping so anyway Very Happy
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 am

I think he's going to bring a new flavor ( in a good sense), and yes I do think that vocally he has a bit of MC in him, didnt Michael get all these raised eyebrows similar to what Peter is getting when he was orginally cast as the Phantom?
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Peter Jöback has been crazy good with updating his FB site these last two weeks (since he moved to London). Not just because he posts on a daily basis, but because what he writes is personal. Or feels personal. Today he tells that he tried the full deformity for the first time, and felt/looked like a completely different person (I hope so... haha), and that he tried his custom made mask for the first time.

He also tells that two Swedish papers - Aftonbladet and DN has been visiting the theatre to interview him. Possible photos too. Swedes of the forum, would you keep an eye on those papers? They should both be in print this week.

https://www.facebook.com/peterjoback
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 pm

First picture of Peter Jöback in deformity and mask:
http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/scen/han-gor-monstret-manskligt

He's one of hundreds thinking his Phantom is more human and real than previois portrayals. Razz Seriously, I've lost track of how many has said that lately. But for the first time he tells how he got the part! He was auditioning for the lead role in the planned Broadway production of "Love Never Dies". Four actors, whereas three Americans, came to the "final", but then it was decided there would be no Broadway production. Instead he was cast as the Phantom in the original.

Wait... Wasn't this a role Ramin Karimloo was promised? And why in West End, if he auditioned in the US?

Anyhow, I have thought all this time it was Cameron Mackintosh who cast Peter Jöback. From the interview it seems it was ALW. Cause being one of the top 4 guys for the lead in LND Broadway, he auditioned for the composer himself. Apparently ALW loved his voice, but found him way too handsome. Jöback's answer was that he was going to wear a mask anyway, so that could hardly matter.

He also praise the musical industry in West End. Unlike Sweden, where they cast the same ol' celebrities for all roles, unknown faces are frequently given a chance in the West End. He see himself as a newbie of sorts, and is very happy for the chance he is given.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:23 pm

That too handsome comment made me laugh... a lot... this is the same man who cast Ramin Karimloo as the lead in Love Never Dies but okay...

Peter comes across as quite humble and sweet to be honest with you. Not sure if those feelings stem from me actually feeling rather sad being so close to the stage at the RAH and it being so painfully obvious that people stopped clapping when he came on (causing me to whoop rather loudly for him in the hope he'd hear something ha!)

I didn't think I'd have much call to go see him as Phantom but my mum is in London in May on a Monday evening so I think we'll go along and see him then.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Found this from Dagens Nyheter. I cropped it. Even though it's a mirror image, I like him in the make up. (and much prefer this makeup to the new tour stuff)

The London production 2 - Page 20 Sweden10
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Seems like the lip piece is huge and makes the mask stick up off his face more than usual
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:47 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Seems like the lip piece is huge and makes the mask stick up off his face more than usual
Probably to compensate for his extreme beauty. Smile

Starryeyed, I agree. I've been following Jöback's career since 1995, and he's always come across as an incredibly likable guy. Even more so when he came out of the closet. Though he never denied being gay, he always said he didn't see why it mattered. But in the end there were so many odd rumours that he said something like "OK, I announce I'm gay, now maybe we can concentrate on my music again". Which totally worked. And after this he's appeared both to be dead honest and quite grateful in all his actions. That impress me.

I am still not convinced his voice and/or style is Phantom material, though. I guess time will tell.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Seems like the lip piece is huge and makes the mask stick up off his face more than usual
Yeah there does seem to be a lot of upper lip deformity and hardly any on the lower lip. He looks pretty good as the phantom.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:37 am

Based on his explanations of engaging with this role, I have a feeling this is going to be a really fascinating portrayal. If I am proved right, I hope he extends, for I won't be back in London until December.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:54 am

Y'know, there's something about the way he's posting for the pics that we've seen so far of him in Phantom makeup and mask that kinda resonates with me. He's not trying to look dark or brooding or sexy. There's a sort of .... elusive quality about him, almost a vulnerability - that I like. I'm also intrigued to see the prominence of the deformity in his poses; it's like he's not afraid of exposing the (physically) ugly side of the Phantom, rather than concealing it.

I do like reading how down-to-earth he is and how much humility he's bringing to the job. Pretty surprised to hear that he had auditioned for Broadway's LND. Hm.

I just hope that what we saw/heard at RAH is much different than what he'll present to the audiences at Her Majesty's. While his voice doesn't strike me as very Phantomy, he may be one of those performers whose acting elevates his overall portrayal.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:17 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:Found this from Dagens Nyheter. I cropped it. Even though it's a mirror image, I like him in the make up. (and much prefer this makeup to the new tour stuff)

Am I the only one that thinks he looks like Kevin Gray in this pic?
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  RatSalsa Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Another picture of Jöback:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article14523611.ab

RatSalsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Lycanthrope Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:12 am

I attended today's matinee and just thought I would post a few remarks about the show. I must admit I saw Earl some six years ago and wasn't keen, but I feel I was unfair on him then as he is not the vocal powerhouse that JOJ is (the only Phantom I'd seen prior to that point), although his voice is good. However, Peter Jöback has some big shoes to fill: Earl was fantastic today. He simply understands the character, bringing back the sense of majesty and elegance that Ramin lacked. POTO and MOTN are marked by slow, deliberate movements as he quite literally enchants Christine with his music - and even then there are brief glimpses of the fear beneath that, in the vehement refusal to allow Christine to touch his mask. The carry was quite deliberate, he considered what to do with Christine and was most delicate in covering her with the cloak (which he did very late). My impression of his Phantom was of a masterful one, controlled and yet there is the hint of a sensitivity and tenderness beneath the facade. The end to STYDI brought tears to my eyes as he made it most clear - by gesticulating to the mirror bride and to Christine - that his hopes of transcending his miserable existence lay on her and her talents and the quiet devastation that these were now dashed.
Although I can't deny his Phantom appears cold and calculating for most of the show - his "You try my patience" was magnificent, interspersed with a chuckle to himself - this cool veneer falls away during and after the kiss, where his entire physicality shifts into a quivering wreck of a man. His "Christine, I love you" was so soft it was almost inaudible; he refused to take the ring back, then when Christine insisted, fell to one knee and held out the ring to her (he did this in his previous run but it was heart-rending here: it was him begging her, his head bowed in recognition of how unworthy he was and how he did not deserve her and yet he felt compelled to give it one last attempt). There were indications of his shift in physicality during PONR, where, as Christine approached him during her verse, he seemed to 'freak out', for want of a better term - he simply had no idea how to handle the situation, in spite of him being its mastermind, with his entire upper body trembling.
My only question in Earl's performance would be why his recorded track for the title song is as bad, if not worse than the one he had during his run as principal 2005-7 - he appears to really strain for the high notes in the first verse. Such a shame as the rest of the performance was first-rate - as an actor he really excels at subtly playing key moments (quite different to Scott Davies who I felt overplayed the Final Lair so that it seemed affected). Also he appears to really live the moment and think onstage, a trait which I admire in any actor performing in a long-running show.
Katy Treharne was on as Christine and was vocally very impressive and sang the score with apparent ease - her timbre and classically trained sound reminded me strongly of Gina Beck, and although she perhaps needs more time to work her way into the role. She plays Christine with a sincerity and seriousness of a young girl aged beyond her years by the trauma she has experienced.
Killian as Raoul is fine, he adds a lot of personal touches and shows a clear arc of development throughout the show from a self-centred aristocrat to a more caring and concerned figure (and thereby a better rival to the Phantom; in Little Lotte he adjusts his lapels in the mirror whilst Christine is telling him of her father's death, and so truely is a 'slave of fashion'). However, I must admit to not liking his voice at all; I'm by no means familiar with technical singing terms but his timbre somehow annoyed me and his vibrato seemed forced, which made it not particularly pleasant to listen to. Then again I have been spoiled by Will Barratt for the past four times I've seen the show, who has great vocal warmth and strength.
I'm quite intrigued as to how Peter Jöback will be, and if I do see him perform, I'll go in with an open mind. From the articles posted here he seems to have really worked hard on the character of the Phantom (and comes off as a nice guy with considerable humility). However, Earl has most definitely set a high benchmark.

Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:38 am

phantom10906 wrote:
PhantomsGhost wrote:Found this from Dagens Nyheter. I cropped it. Even though it's a mirror image, I like him in the make up. (and much prefer this makeup to the new tour stuff)

Am I the only one that thinks he looks like Kevin Gray in this pic?

Not at all. I thought the exact same thing. Uncanny resemblance - at least in mirror image. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 am

RatSalsa wrote:Another picture of Jöback:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/article14523611.ab

I just now noticed this pic. Wow, he really DOES look a lot like Kevin Gray when in Phantom makeup. Shocked

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 am

It didn't occur to me at first, but I do see it more in the most recent pic than the one in the mirror. Now if he's as good as Gray is, he'll be something else.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:22 am

the nose isnt looking right though, like it is way too big on the mask side. but overall he still looks good in the role
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Peter Jöback is now also on Twitter. He hasn't actually tweeted anything yet, but got over a thousand followers already so I guess people are excited and waiting Razz Clicky!
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I started following him yesterday.

Waiting to see what his first tweet will be (lol)

I'm really looking forward to the reviews after he's been in the role a bit. I'm so hoping he'll be good. I think I'm in the minority, but I kind of like what I heard from him in the 25th anniversary, so I'm going to be positive on this.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  PridePhan Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I hope he will stay for a little while longer.
I have tickets on sep 13 and no one on POTO's FB page seems to want to tell me who the phantom will be after Jöback. And isn't it time soon to decide that?
PridePhan
PridePhan

http://www.walentine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next