Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th anniversary celebrations

+66
Phantomess
StrangerThanUDreamt
RatSalsa
PridePhan
PorteƱa
vmkwinner
Molina
Becky
TheFinnishPhantom
Viscountess
tmarucci
Paula74
eriklefantome
phantomphan1992
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
BradPhan
Phantour
Amberly_Nichole
Bunvendor
alaron4
ChristineDaae1982
Freyalise
Mandrake
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
tiawhitecat
justin1976
ravnquest1
AlwaysChristine
auctioneer
Callie Daae
ette
Blind Phan
PhantomsGhost
phantom10906
Bric
Josephine
moaja
justin-from-barbados
Lycanthrope
Miss von Krolock
MaskedLion
MasqPhan
ifonlyidont
LadyCDaae
CountessDeChangy
Helen
TrapDoorLurker
starryeyed
Cape Twirl of Doom
operafantomet
Madame Giry
EarlFan
Aled_Boyo
MajesticPhantom
IamErik771
Mme Reyer
Phantomlove
ladygodiva
Rebecca
PhantomJT
ML6
Raphael
PMB1034
SenorSwanky
Scorp
70 posters

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 3 Empty Re: 25th anniversary celebrations

Post  MaskedLion Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 am

Is there any news articles about this confirming anything? I don't follow Ramin's twitter.

MaskedLion
MaskedLion

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 pm

There was a recent post about it on BroadwayWorld's West End page. Apparently a date has been decided on... so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm not a fan of Ramin either, but if the rest of the cast is good, it might be worth seeing. Hopefully, the concert will be recorded in some form. (Being streamed to cinemas around the UK and US a la LM is probably too much to hope for, but hey.)
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:12 pm

I spoke with Ramin on Friday and I'm not sure if we should expect any more information that soon, he said he himself was surprised they actually put the information they have done out now.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:24 am

Hm, interesting. Well, I guess we'll find out when we find out. Or something like that.

There's been an announcement quite a bit more official than a forum post, however. But they seem to have gotten a few facts wrong -- the US Tour, Poland, Australia, and Denmark productions are no more (and I have no idea about the one in Argentina), and the Japan production is now in Nagoya, not Osaka. But nonetheless, it's nice to see an official announcement at this stage.
IamErik771
IamErik771

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:38 am

starryeyed wrote:I spoke with Ramin on Friday and I'm not sure if we should expect any more information that soon, he said he himself was surprised they actually put the information they have done out now.

I bet he's all pleased as punch.

Sorry, I'm so damned sour over this that it just drives me insane they cast him. I wish Cameron Macintosh would just jump in and make some decisions when it comes to casting.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:21 pm

ML6 wrote:
starryeyed wrote:I spoke with Ramin on Friday and I'm not sure if we should expect any more information that soon, he said he himself was surprised they actually put the information they have done out now.

I bet he's all pleased as punch.

Sorry, I'm so damned sour over this that it just drives me insane they cast him. I wish Cameron Macintosh would just jump in and make some decisions when it comes to casting.
Well I don't trust him much either since the Jonas incident...
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:15 pm

Being honest he is more in shock than pleased, I don't think it's fully sunk in yet. There is a misconception (and not saying anyone on this board has said it, I'm talking about elsewhere) that Ramin is very full of himself and very showy and will be walking around all "look at me" when the reality is he almost always seems to be in a permanent state of shock that he'd actually get chosen for such things.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:55 pm

starryeyed wrote:Being honest he is more in shock than pleased, I don't think it's fully sunk in yet. There is a misconception (and not saying anyone on this board has said it, I'm talking about elsewhere) that Ramin is very full of himself and very showy and will be walking around all "look at me" when the reality is he almost always seems to be in a permanent state of shock that he'd actually get chosen for such things.

I don't think he's a show off, I think that it was a given because of Webber trying to get everyone to like LND. I just really wish he was cast as Raoul. Or a part of the chorus. SOMETHING other than the title role.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Lycanthrope Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 am

ML6 wrote:
starryeyed wrote:Being honest he is more in shock than pleased, I don't think it's fully sunk in yet. There is a misconception (and not saying anyone on this board has said it, I'm talking about elsewhere) that Ramin is very full of himself and very showy and will be walking around all "look at me" when the reality is he almost always seems to be in a permanent state of shock that he'd actually get chosen for such things.

I don't think he's a show off, I think that it was a given because of Webber trying to get everyone to like LND. I just really wish he was cast as Raoul. Or a part of the chorus. SOMETHING other than
the title role.

I think that's a little unfair on Ramin. Sure, I would much rather a stronger singer and more traditional Phantom like JOJ and that Ramin would be Raoul instead. But his casting is a commercial decision more than anything else given his popularity. I would hate for this celebration of a show we love to become a point of contention because of associations with LND. Plus I actually rate Ramin as an actor ~ his FL was the most moving I've seen; shame about his more simplistic role in LND which veers into extreme melodrama (the painful 'NOOOOO!' at Christine' death).
Anyway, I'm just happy the anniversary will be marked and am keeping an open mind about the whole thing. Plus rumours of a UK Tour make me happy...

Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 pm

I've never really felt Ramin was that strong in the acting department. He always went through the same movements every time I saw him in the original. And his attempts to change his accent, at least at the beginning (and subsequently abandoned in LND) were rather unsuccessful. I can imagine David Thaxton doing very well in a straight play; I'm not sure I can say the same thing about Ramin...

Anyway, casting has been done and the official announcement is out soon. Cast is:

The Phantom - Ramin Karimloo
Christine - E.mmy Rossum (depending on negotiations, otherwise it'll be Sierra Boggess)
Raoul - Lee Mead (not confirmed as it depends as to whether he'll be able to take time off Legally Blonde, otherwise back-up is Oliver Thornton)
Madame Giry - Connie Fisher
Carlotta - Margaret Preece
Meg - Niamh Perry
Piangi - Scott Davies
AndrƩ - Earl Carpenter
Firmin - John Owen-Jones
Auctioneer - Michael Crawford

Gerard Butler will be doing narration to fill in the bits they're cutting out of the score.

Kidding. This was a lame attempt at an April fool. Casting people who may or may not be reading this, please DO NOT GET IDEAS FROM THIS LIST.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 pm

lol
Very Happy
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Laughing Wouldn't JOJ as Piangi and Scott as Firmin be a better fit vocally, though? Then again, I suppose ALW doesn't think so, given his opinion on Gerry's "great rock-tenor voice." Wink
IamErik771
IamErik771

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:54 am

Laughing I started reading your post seriously, and was about to throw my computer out the window. Thank God I realized the joke.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  moaja Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:30 pm

You terrible T.T
LOL
moaja
moaja

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Wed May 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Today, David Dolman tweeted that he had an "Early meeting at mystery venue for Phantom 25th tomorrow. Where could it be? You'll have to wait 3 more weeks." Exciting!

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 am

Yes, but unfortunately, someone else tweeted back about it being the Royal Albert Hall. I don't know if they were joking or serious though.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm

starryeyed wrote:Yes, but unfortunately, someone else tweeted back about it being the Royal Albert Hall. I don't know if they were joking or serious though.

If it's at the Albert Hall then the staff there are oblivious to it, unless the whole thing is being organised very secretively...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Wed May 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Interesting news from Colm Wilkinson, in an interview he did for BroadwayWorld:

What's coming up next for you?

...Probably one of the biggest things on the horizon right now for me is the 25th Anniversary Concert of The Phantom of the Opera. I've been asked to participate in October in London and as far as I know will be televised as well - so look for me there! And of course I will continue to be involved with Theatre 20 here in Toronto as well.
IamErik771
IamErik771

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu May 19, 2011 2:29 pm

I have my doubts it will be at the Royal Albert Hall, if it were I am sure they would have announced it by now as it is the venue that most people would assume it would go to. The fact that they are not ready to announce it means they are still, in my opinion, still in discussions for other venues. Some one suggested they are looking at the Royal Opera House, which I think would be an interesting change, But surely it is harder to go into a theatre's roof and install chandelier rigging for a one time concert, rather than staging in in an 'arena' environment where the rigging for the chandelier will be part of the temporary concert rigging.

All in all I am just hopeing for a fantastic concert, with the full show, no cuts, and a nice DVD Cd release.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:All in all I am just hopeing for a fantastic concert, with the full show, no cuts, and a nice DVD Cd release.
Me too. In the absence of a new english language cast recording, I hope the concert gets a release on CD (though the Les Mis o2 didn't). As the venue goes, while the o2 might not be appropriate for Phantom, I hope everyone who wants to go can go & it's a big enough venue to accomodate the masses. Personally I suck at getting my act together for hot tickets!
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu May 19, 2011 4:12 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:I have my doubts it will be at the Royal Albert Hall, if it were I am sure they would have announced it by now as it is the venue that most people would assume it would go to. The fact that they are not ready to announce it means they are still, in my opinion, still in discussions for other venues. Some one suggested they are looking at the Royal Opera House, which I think would be an interesting change, But surely it is harder to go into a theatre's roof and install chandelier rigging for a one time concert, rather than staging in in an 'arena' environment where the rigging for the chandelier will be part of the temporary concert rigging.
For some reason, I can see them projecting the chandelier rather than rig the full thing. But I agree with your comments about the venue.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 pm

There was mention about work done to adapt the set, so my guess is they will try as much as possible to atleast have a chandlier to drop Very Happy
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat May 21, 2011 4:51 pm

It makes me gag that the only version of Phantom to be released besides the film will have Ramin as the Phantom.

And, YAY for Colm! I better see more famous names. I kind of want to see the Phantom's in costume. A retrospective of costumes and performers. Smile
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Josephine Sat May 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I have to admit I am rather excited about this, seeing as I'll be in London in October. I'm waiting for more news.

Josephine

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu May 26, 2011 1:23 pm

It has been confirmed, the Royal Albert Hall will host the 25th Anniversary Concert, a specific date has still not been mentioned, only "October." It is also reported Sierra Boggess will be Christine.

ETA: Karimloo Fronts Phantom Show At Albert Hall

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu May 26, 2011 1:33 pm

Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess in a concert version in Royal Albert Hall? I guess there'll be lots of happy phans now. I'm definitely not one of them. Neutral
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu May 26, 2011 1:37 pm

operafantomet wrote:Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess in a concert version in Royal Albert Hall? I guess there'll be lots of happy phans now. I'm definitely not one of them. Neutral

25 years for this?!

I'll stick to Her Majesty's thanks. At least it'll be safe from the fan brigade.

Rolling Eyes

Says Ramin: "We’re there not for us, but to celebrate the product and why we all love it." http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831306415265/Karimloo+Fronts+Phantom+25th+Show+at+Albert+Hall.html

Is the product they're celebrating the biggest piece of hokum ever written with 2-dimensional characters that they apparently all love or Love Never Dies?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Yup... No offense to them (it's not Ramin and Sierra's fault that they were cast...and, besides, they are talented people. I have a respect for them both), but I am not sure if I am now going to that performance... I'd actually be very interested in seeing them play the roles in a regular performance, it's just that I'd like to have seen others who were not so recent for this special performance.

I'll tell you who I think should have been the Phantom at this- Anthony Warlow. I was just hoping for an exciting, eclectic mix of alumni (which is the same reason I was disappointed in the 25th Les Mis casting), and I am not sure that'll happen. (PS What I think is obviously just my opinion and silly wishful thinking!...And to add to Scorp's reply below--Warlow would have been great for the fact that he still has the stamina, he'd be a great bridge of the many years the show has been around.)

Last edited by MajesticPhantom on Thu May 26, 2011 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu May 26, 2011 1:51 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:

I'll tell you who I think should have been the Phantom at this- Anthony Warlow.

That would have been amazing. Especially as Warlow still has the vocal strength and stamina to do it -- not sure Crawford does (though may be he would have for a one-off performance).

I would so much have liked to see Warlow's Phantom live. It's a shame he turned down the opportunity to play the part in London in the 1990s, but I can understand his reasons. And I loved how he decided to play the part again to erase the memories of the film in his daughter's mind! Laughing

I think I joked a while back as an April Fool that the LND leads would do the concert. It wasn't such a far-fetched idea, alas.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm

I wanted Howard McGillin & Leila Benn Harris! But the simple fact is, nobody was going to be completely satisfied. A fan collective 'dream cast' doesn't exist. Cam Mack has understandably gone with two pretty bankable names. I like them, I'll hopefully go, celebrate a show I love, no doubt have a great time & hopefully latch on to at least one of the performers (in Miz it was Norm) & appreciate if not adore the rest. Plus I may get to see Wilkinson, Crawford, Brightman belt a few verses out.
It genuinely saddens me, though I understand to a degree, that some fans feel so let down & feel alienated by the decisions surrounding the show in recent years.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next