Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th anniversary celebrations

+66
Phantomess
StrangerThanUDreamt
RatSalsa
PridePhan
PorteƱa
vmkwinner
Molina
Becky
TheFinnishPhantom
Viscountess
tmarucci
Paula74
eriklefantome
phantomphan1992
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
BradPhan
Phantour
Amberly_Nichole
Bunvendor
alaron4
ChristineDaae1982
Freyalise
Mandrake
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
tiawhitecat
justin1976
ravnquest1
AlwaysChristine
auctioneer
Callie Daae
ette
Blind Phan
PhantomsGhost
phantom10906
Bric
Josephine
moaja
justin-from-barbados
Lycanthrope
Miss von Krolock
MaskedLion
MasqPhan
ifonlyidont
LadyCDaae
CountessDeChangy
Helen
TrapDoorLurker
starryeyed
Cape Twirl of Doom
operafantomet
Madame Giry
EarlFan
Aled_Boyo
MajesticPhantom
IamErik771
Mme Reyer
Phantomlove
ladygodiva
Rebecca
PhantomJT
ML6
Raphael
PMB1034
SenorSwanky
Scorp
70 posters

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 2 Empty Re: 25th anniversary celebrations

Post  Scorp Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am

PMB1034 wrote:So we're now into the anniversary year, anybody heard any anniversary related chatter?

You can forget about any UK tour -- ain't happening. You'd have to be mental to want to see the biggest piece of hokum ever written anyway.

Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:45 pm

A tour isn't happening but I've heard of a couple of previous cast members being contacted about something. Apparently though it's not even set in stone what the something is...

ETA: JOJ's performance at the Oliviers tomorrow is meant to officially kick off the 25th Anniversary celebrations.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  TrapDoorLurker Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Do the Olivier performances usually show up on Youtube or the official website? I live in America, so I can't watch it live. I can't wait to see Sierra and John together.

TrapDoorLurker

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:37 am

TrapDoorLurker wrote:Do the Olivier performances usually show up on Youtube or the official website? I live in America, so I can't watch it live. I can't wait to see Sierra and John together.
It'll surely pop up on YouTube shortly. Not sure how long it'll be available there, though. But you could always keep an eye on the official FB sites for international POTO and Broadway POTO (the latter is miles better). They tend to post videos and/or updates on performances like that.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly Ramin Karimloo will play The Phantom for the 25th Anniversary Celebrations.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 pm

starryeyed wrote:Perhaps unsurprisingly Ramin Karimloo will play The Phantom for the 25th Anniversary Celebrations.

WOW. What an UPSETTING decision. The show has been around for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and they can't think of anybody else to play the Phantom BESDIES Ramin? If that is true, what a waste. Haven't we had enough of him in LND? Evil or Very Mad
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:55 pm

It's true. You can bid for the first two tickets to go on sale plus a meet and greet. The bidding stands at Ā£920 currently. But yes, from what I've seen from people I follow on Twitter it's split about 50/50 "oh my god RAMIN amaaaaaaazing" and "How boring and uninspired."

ETA: There are some unconfirmed rumblings that more than make up for Ramin though... in my opinion anyway.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 am

I'm not a huge fan of Ramin's Phantom, so I'm a bit disappointed he's been chosen to play The Phantom. I'd have preferred him to play Raoul, because I didn't see him in that role.

ETA: There are some unconfirmed rumblings that more than make up for Ramin though... in my opinion anyway.

Are you able to elaborate?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  CountessDeChangy Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:40 am

Ramin just tweeted that there will be a concert!
CountessDeChangy
CountessDeChangy

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 am

CountessDeChangy wrote:Ramin just tweeted that there will be a concert!
Really I can't see that on his feed? It's a little vague as to whether it's him trotting out at HM's or a full blown concert. I hope there will be one though, love to hear the score played by a massive orchestra & while the original show is of course what I love, the size and scope of a well cast concert ala Miz would excite me 'cos it's "my show" getting that attention. Plus more people would be able to attend. And a DVD perhaps, to watch in those lean times when I can't afford to see it live.

As for the decision to cast Ramin, it's understandable. Pretty indifferent tbh, everyone has their dream cast...it'd have been a miracle if it was who I wanted, he's very good.
I am extremely pleased that so much money has been raised for Comic Relief, great Ramin thought of it. For relatively little work on RUG/Mackintosh's part, a lot of moolah will be raised for charity.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:42 am

ML6 wrote:
starryeyed wrote:Perhaps unsurprisingly Ramin Karimloo will play The Phantom for the 25th Anniversary Celebrations.

WOW. What an UPSETTING decision. The show has been around for TWENTY FIVE YEARS and they can't think of anybody else to play the Phantom BESDIES Ramin? If that is true, what a waste. Haven't we had enough of him in LND? Evil or Very Mad
Amen.

I'd love to hear the score played by a large orchestra (not that I could go, but other than the film soundtrack and the ALW 50th birthday bash, it's never been done). But it'd be far better with a stellar cast. You can't bring back the ghosts of Steve Barton or Mary Millar, sadly, but more distinguished former cast members like Peter Karrie or even, heaven forbid, Michael Crawford, would've been nice. Are they gonna have Nick Jonas play Raoul? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SenorSwanky on Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 am

*sigh* Not a big fan of Ramin's voice, myself--too belty, at least on the LND soundtrack (though part of that could be the God-awful score). I agree with ML6 and Swanky--surely there are better options to choose from in PotO's 25 year history? But he seems to be ALW's darling of the moment, so I suppose it's kind of inevitable.

ETA: YouTube'd his MOTN and...no, it's not just the crap LND score. And this is probably going to be going on DVD, too. Will I never see a legit recording of this with an actor I actually like in the title role? Sad

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:17 am

SenorSwanky wrote:
ML6 wrote:

Amen.

I'd love to hear the score played by a large orchestra (not that I could go, but other than the film soundtrack and the ALW 50th birthday bash, it's never been done). But it'd be far better with a stellar cast. You can't bring back the ghosts of Steve Barton or Mary Millar, sadly, but more distinguished former cast members like Peter Karrie or even, heaven forbid, Michael Crawford, would've been nice. Are they gonna have Nick Jonas play Raoul? Rolling Eyes

Agreed. I like Ramin's Enjolras but I am not a big fan of his Phantom and I seem to be one of the few who didn't really like his Raoul either.

So is this happening at a separate concert? Or his Ramin going back to HM's now that LND has failed to transfer to North America? I'd rather have JOJ extend or have a new guy in the mask at HM's to be honest... Does Ramin really want to play that oh so two-dimensional character again in that huge piece of hokum? Neutral

By the way, while the money in that auction is going to a worthy cause and everything, what is being offered is hilarious. Ramin will follow me on Twitter for a whole 90 days if I win? He'll even RT one of my tweets? AND I'll get to chat with him for a whole few minutes?!?! Oh wow. That's...like so awesome. Not. Who the hell cares about that other than fangirls?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Scorp wrote: By the way, while the money in that auction is going to a worthy cause and everything, what is being offered is hilarious. Ramin will follow me on Twitter for a whole 90 days if I win? He'll even RT one of my tweets? AND I'll get to chat with him for a whole few minutes?!?! Oh wow. That's...like so awesome. Not. Who the hell cares about that other than fangirls?
Well the 90 days thing is the blanket terms of #twitrelief, so the beautiful people have a get out. I see what you're saying about fangirls & perhaps someone is bankruptng themselves. No it's not a good deal, however if I were a rich man (cue for a song), I'd be inclined to donate whopping amounts of money anyway to Comic Relief because I believe in it, so may very well pay over the odds for "a bit of fun" & a philanthropic gesture at the same time; I am neither hardcore Ramin fan nor girl.

Scorp wrote: Does Ramin really want to play that oh so two-dimensional character again in that huge piece of hokum?
I believe that to be an Andy quote, not Ramin. Also what's wrong with a bit of hokum! So he called it hokum, that's not a bad thing, I love hokum! I'd rather be called hokum than worthy or God help us important (yawn). I'm a Doctor Who fan, I've dedicated my life to a 50 year old childrens TV show! Positivity rocks, it's only an insult if you make it one.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:50 pm

The bidding now stands at Ā£1,320.

The listing implies it is a one off concert as it is stated "Phantom Concert" and "Location to be announced." I'm sure the words one-off return feature somewhere too but don't quote me on that. From what I've heard and I am not saying this is confirmed as it isn't but it sounds very much like the trio are going to be very recent cast members. I don't think that will please everyone but will please a lot I guess. Then you'll have the people who will go anyway as it is the 25th Anniversary celebration.

I think now that Ramin's announced this some more casting will be announced soon, perhaps after the bidding has ended and the hype has died down a little again. If they release information in dribs and drabs it will keep people interested for longer in theory.

ETA: Now I've checked the wording I've decided it doesn't expressly say he'll play The Phantom once more, it says "don the mask once more" you could say it's the same thing but it could also point to him actually only doing a bit in a tribute at the end (like Les Mis did.) It would be a rather controversial money spinner, all the Ramin fangirls go crazy and snap up tickets and then they announce someone else as playing The Phantom and that Ramin will be in celebrations at the end and if anyone complains they can say it wasn't expressly stated Ramin would perform the whole concert? Hmmmm...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:32 pm

PMB1034 wrote:
Scorp wrote: By the way, while the money in that auction is going to a worthy cause and everything, what is being offered is hilarious. Ramin will follow me on Twitter for a whole 90 days if I win? He'll even RT one of my tweets? AND I'll get to chat with him for a whole few minutes?!?! Oh wow. That's...like so awesome. Not. Who the hell cares about that other than fangirls?

Well the 90 days thing is the blanket terms of #twitrelief, so the beautiful people have a get out. I see what you're saying about fangirls & perhaps someone is bankruptng themselves. No it's not a good deal, however if I were a rich man (cue for a song), I'd be inclined to donate whopping amounts of money anyway to Comic Relief because I believe in it, so may very well pay over the odds for "a bit of fun" & a philanthropic gesture at the same time; I am neither hardcore Ramin fan nor girl.

I do agree that the cause is worthy and any money for Comic Relief is a good thing. I still find the hyping up of something as trivial as a retweet a very bizarre thing for anyone other than a fangirl to get excited about.

Scorp wrote: Does Ramin really want to play that oh so two-dimensional character again in that huge piece of hokum?
I believe that to be an Andy quote, not Ramin.

It is an Andy quote that I *think* Sierra and Ramin both repeated in early interviews. Sierra definitely regurgitated that spin as she does so explicitly in an interview on BroadwayWorld.com. As for Ramin, I may be wrong since I can't quite find anything as explicit coming out of his mouth. I thought I heard him say something to that effect on an interview he did on BBC Radio, but I could be wrong on that.

Also what's wrong with a bit of hokum! So he called it hokum, that's not a bad thing, I love hokum! I'd rather be called hokum than worthy or God help us important (yawn). I'm a Doctor Who fan, I've dedicated my life to a 50 year old childrens TV show! Positivity rocks, it's only an insult if you make it one.

I'm quite sure Andy made it one. The comment was, in typical ALW style, designed to disparage his former work in order to hype up the latest thing.

Hal Prince has always seen the piece as a serious work about repressed sexuality and has never seen it as hokum at all. I side with Prince on that.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:18 pm

starryeyed wrote:ETA: Now I've checked the wording I've decided it doesn't expressly say he'll play The Phantom once more, it says "don the mask once more" you could say it's the same thing but it could also point to him actually only doing a bit in a tribute at the end (like Les Mis did.) It would be a rather controversial money spinner, all the Ramin fangirls go crazy and snap up tickets and then they announce someone else as playing The Phantom and that Ramin will be in celebrations at the end and if anyone complains they can say it wasn't expressly stated Ramin would perform the whole concert? Hmmmm...
Clever. I hope that's the case.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm so glad they're got something planned for the anniversary. I'm excited and want to know more. It's only another...less than 6 months. Can't wait Smile

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:49 pm

I am thrilled that I'll be living in London during this time. I am honestly not thrilled about Karimloo, but the event itself is exciting. Biting my nails with anticipation of the NEWS!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Great that they are doing this for Comic Relief but I must admit that when I first read of this thing I felt a bit disappointed, although I guess I need to know more about this 25th celebration event they are talking about. Nothing against Ramin himself really, I'm sure he's a nice guy but it's just feels like we've had enough of Ramin for a while now. He certainly seems to be Andy's favourite.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Oh ho? It BETTER be good. I want old-school people over in London, again. I want some CLASS back on that stage, damn it.

Are they gonna have Nick Jonas play Raoul?

LOL. LOL. Better yet, they'll get the monkey music box.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:25 am

EarlFan wrote:Nothing against Ramin himself really, I'm sure he's a nice guy but it's just feels like we've had enough of Ramin for a while now. He certainly seems to be Andy's favourite.
It seems to me that ALW's grooming Karimloo as the new face of Phantom - a "young and sexy" one of the Butler mold (poofy shirt and all), but one that can sing. So I expect we'll be getting Karimloo shoved down the Phandom's throat for a good long while.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:04 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

That's all....
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:48 am

I'm going to place my bet right now and say John Barrowman will get Raoul. He's done it before, he's something of a "name," and from what I understand he's pretty chummy with ALW. (I happen to like Barrowman's voice so this would mitigate the Ramin disappointment a little, but not much.)

I really hope they get someone other than Sierra Boggess as Christine. I don't have anything against her, but much like Karimloo I'm a little tired of her being held up as the be-all-end-all of PotO leads. (I'm sure LND fatigue has a lot to do with this.) Could someone give ALW Sandra Joseph's phone number...?

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 am

Barrowman's at least 15 years older than Ramin, isn't he? He'd be a decent coup, but the age dynamic would make no sense. It'd be like...hmmm...LND. Rolling Eyes
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Well, when's the last time ALW took accurate age into consideration, anyway? Razz

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:33 pm

John Barrowman is a fixed point in time and space, he doesn't age.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm

PMB1034 wrote:John Barrowman is a fixed point in time and space, he doesn't age.
*shrugs* Well, that's what happens when you're resurrected by the heart of the TARDIS.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 am

Raphael wrote:
PMB1034 wrote:John Barrowman is a fixed point in time and space, he doesn't age.
*shrugs* Well, that's what happens when you're resurrected by the heart of the TARDIS.

R.

Those two lines made my day. Where's the "like" button when I need it?
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 am

I think it's more likely Lee Mead will be Raoul than John Barrowman.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next