Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love Never Dies - all views allowed

+66
AlwaysChristine
Jennie
operafantomet
NightRachel
MajesticPhantom
Melly
tromp-la-mort
charleygirl
Mme Reyer
RoseOfTransylvania
Lalilaloli
StrangerThanUDreamt
PhantomsGhost
Josephine
FeatherPen
ladygodiva
TheFinnishPhantom
marryholmes
Klavirista
Callie Daae
illegally blonde
Alyssa
PhantomAngel777
Deathshead1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Bric
davd09
LoveShouldDie
PMB1034
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Miss von Krolock
Christine's Shadow
InkedAlchemist
Phantomess
MasqPhan
PhantomJT
Rebecca
Phantom on a Budget
phantomphan1992
justin-from-barbados
Lucy
HDKingsbury
operaphan
Becky
Christine_Phan
Raphael
phantom10906
Freyalise
TGITPC
Viscountess
Aled_Boyo
Phantomlove
TheMaskedLion
ML6
starryeyed
LadyCDaae
SenorSwanky
Paula74
IamErik771
Helen
Mandrake
Madame Giry
Cape Twirl of Doom
phantomgirl110
70 posters

Page 21 of 31 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26 ... 31  Next

Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 21 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  MasqPhan Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Australian version of Love Never Dies possibly headed for DVD release.

Broadway.com Article
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 21 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Madame Giry Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:43 pm

https://youtu.be/PZ9NTgP0ilA <--- Some great footage from the Melbourne show that likely demonstrates what the DVD release will look like. The YT account also has more footage from other numbers.

I have to admit, I really do enjoy the set/costume designs of the Melbourne version a lot more than the London version. The mirrored-room in 'Beautiful' is really quite spectacular. The huge portrait of Christine in her Angel of Music attire in the Phantom's chambers is a nice nod to the original show as well.

That being said, I imagine all the things I hate about the plot - and Lord knows there are many - haven't changed. Pity.

~Madame~

Last edited by Madame Giry on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Madame Giry wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9NTgP0ilA&feature=player_embedded#at=259 <--- Some great footage from the Melbourne show that likely demonstrates what the DVD release will look like. The YT account also has more footage from other numbers.

I have to admit, I really do enjoy the set/costume designs of the Melbourne version a lot more than the London version. The mirrored-room in 'Beautiful' is really quite spectacular. The huge portrait of Christine in her Angel of Music attire in the Phantom's chambers is a nice nod to the original show as well.

That being said, I imagine all the things I hate about the plot - and Lord knows there are many - haven't changed. Pity.
Agreed, the Melbourne design with a much improved story - one that took the libretto seriously - would have made a pretty nifty musical. As it is now there's lots of spectacle over a hollow frame. But definitely better than London, where the libretto at the opening was a complete mess, and with a too stylistic set design to cover up for it.

Blaming costume/set designer Bob Crowley for the London failure, though, as many have done, is just too unfair. His design could have worked well on a musical with a good basis. Original (or even current LND) is far from a good basis.

Whatever the case, even the Melbourne version won't survive on Broadway. The lyrics and storyline still screams "Please butcher me!".
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm

[quote="operafantomet"]
Madame Giry wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9NTgP0ilA&feature=player_embedded#at=259 <---
Whatever the case, even the Melbourne version won't survive on Broadway. The lyrics and storyline still screams "Please butcher me!".

--Or sink me full fathoms five!
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm blaming LND...or, at least, the press around it for part of a dream I had last night.

Most of it involved a family reunion cook-out I'm going to this week, but at some point in the dream, I walked into a store. I guess it was a cross between a theatre gift shop, a jewelry store, and a Target.

One aisle had a couple of shelves of Phantom knick-knacks and such...I remember explaining to my partner that he needs to buy me a new bottle of Phantom perfume.

Anyhow, they had these rather nice photo frames. They were smooth black 8 x10 frames with rows of little white masks around the edges and a rose at the lower right corner. And there was a button. I figured that it was some sort of music box so I pushed it. Instead of playing music, a video of ALW appeared where the photo should go. It looked like ALW circa 1986 (judging from the hair and clothing on Sara Brightman and others in the background), but he was talking about how "Love Never Dies" was the "real true way that Phantom is supposed to end" and how malicious people "sabotaged" the sequel.

I woke up thinking it was a nasty marketing ploy...embedding the video in a nice Phantom knick-knack.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Crud, didn't realize I had linked to only the tail end of the LND promo video earlier. I've gone back an edited the link so it should take you to the beginning of the vid.

Just try to ignore Andrew's commentary. Razz

And Paula, I am so sorry for your nightmare, lol.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:59 am

So the London production is now officially closed. study
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Josephine Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 am

operafantomet wrote:So the London production is now officially closed. study

Yep. And you know what's strange? I walked past the tkts booth on Leicester Square last week and was surprised to see that there were plenty of half-price tickets available for LND. I'd have thought that for the final week of a show, tickets would all be sold out. *shrugs*

Josephine

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 pm

Josephine wrote:
operafantomet wrote:So the London production is now officially closed. study

Yep. And you know what's strange? I walked past the tkts booth on Leicester Square last week and was surprised to see that there were plenty of half-price tickets available for LND. I'd have thought that for the final week of a show, tickets would all be sold out. *shrugs*

For a moment I thought you said, "I walked past the ticket booth and they were still selling tickets".

I can't believe that Cameron Macintosh showed up for the closing night. LOL.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:26 pm

I am happy that there will come a DVD from Melbourne.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Thought it wasn't possible to dislike Love Never Dies more than you might do at the moment?

Think again. Read this post by Bricabrac on the poto.com forums: http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=680078#forumpost680078

I know they don't often live up to their name, but for Really Useful to SHUT DOWN the cash cow that is London Phantom of the Opera and simply put it on tour had Love Never Dies been successful...that is surely idiocy? The original has been selling well this year, and certainly much better than LND. Why would you do that? To stop people from choosing to see the better one so they could forget about the contradictions?

I am completely bamboozled by this idea, and consequently incredibly grateful LND was a flop.

Evil or Very Mad
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Speechless. Angry. And confirming all my suspicions.

Evil or Very Mad
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Scorp wrote:Thought it wasn't possible to dislike Love Never Dies more than you might do at the moment?

Think again. Read this post by Bricabrac on the poto.com forums: http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=680078#forumpost680078

I know they don't often live up to their name, but for Really Useful to SHUT DOWN the cash cow that is London Phantom of the Opera and simply put it on tour had Love Never Dies been successful...that is surely idiocy? The original has been selling well this year, and certainly much better than LND. Why would you do that? To stop people from choosing to see the better one so they could forget about the contradictions?

I am completely bamboozled by this idea, and consequently incredibly grateful LND was a flop.

Evil or Very Mad

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 21 1234672751606

I honestly have no words. WHAT? WHAT ...
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:48 am

Scorp wrote:Thought it wasn't possible to dislike Love Never Dies more than you might do at the moment?

Evil or Very Mad

I remember hearing rumors a few years ago about how if the movie had been successful, they were going to close the Broadway production. To me it is utterly stupid to even think about doing such a thing when THE SHOW IS STILL MAKING AN EXCELLENT PROFIT.
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 am

It would seem that the plan was to install a NEW cash cow, and put the old one out to pasture and still make money by touring it.

Blessedly, LND has move to Australia, and POTO is still playing at Her Majesty's.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm

The closing of the original would also garner HUGE amounts of publicity, and LND would "conveniently" be caught in its blast radius.

It's exactly what I'd imagined they'd do.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:02 pm

It seems like the filming of the Melbourne production of Love Never Dies is underway, according to an article at Broadwayworld.com: http://broadwayworld.com/article/STAGE-TUBE-Andrew-Lloyd-Webber-Visits-LOVE-NEVER-DIES-Filming-20110926

There's a link to a video made on handycam of ALW chatting about the show. He does lavish the complimentary adjectives on it, but interestingly says "I do hope however that everybody is going to want to watch this thing when it's finished."

There's some footage of the filming process - multiple cameras are being used, it seems, so that they can pick and choose the best angles during the editing process. I think they used the same approach when filming JCS in 2000 or so.

I'm not familiar with the whole book of LND, but there's some interesting dialogue between Christine and the Phantom at the very end of the video. Not sure if that was part of the London production or not.

Anyhow, hey Andy, while we're at it, can you please film an ORIGINAL Phantom production? Like London? Or New York? Pretty please? Razz

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Madame Giry wrote:I'm not familiar with the whole book of LND, but there's some interesting dialogue between Christine and the Phantom at the very end of the video. Not sure if that was part of the London production or not.
The only line from that bit that was included in the last London version of the show was: “A man as hideous as this, believe me, is capable of everything… “

Really don't like the whole "I am dying Christine... suffocating here in the dark..." thing. A bit too much, even for the Phantom...
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:04 am

Miss von Krolock wrote:Really don't like the whole "I am dying Christine... suffocating here in the dark..." thing. A bit too much, even for the Phantom...
LND!Phantom and Darth Vader should really collaborate on a book of love prose.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 am

Raphael wrote:
Miss von Krolock wrote:Really don't like the whole "I am dying Christine... suffocating here in the dark..." thing. A bit too much, even for the Phantom...
LND!Phantom and Darth Vader should really collaborate on a book of love prose.

TAFKaR

At least LND!Phantom doesn't deliver his lines like a whiny emo brat. Wink

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:31 am

Madame Giry wrote:

~Madame~
He doesn't? Wow, could've fooled me Smile

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:35 am

Raphael wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:

~Madame~
He doesn't? Wow, could've fooled me Smile

TAFKaR

*considers*

Crap. Alright, you have me there. Razz

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Shocked Wow. That Peter Karrie quote is spooky.

Bric wrote:It would seem that the plan was to install a NEW cash cow, and put the old one out to pasture and still make money by touring it.

Blessedly, LND has move to Australia, and POTO is still playing at Her Majesty's.

But there's still the threat of this happening. ALW has said he'd LOVE to bring the Australian version to London/Broadway and beyond. If this thing is successful on DVD, and continues to play in Australia for a while then there is STILL a good chance POTO will close on B'Way/London. Heck. The US tour closed, and that seemed pretty successful, packing them in at every performance I saw.

Granted, POTO will close some day...I just don't want it to go, yet...

ETA:
On the whole, I don't mind LND -the Australian one. Not the London one- I liked elements of what I heard, and from the pics I saw. But if it were to replace POTO anywhere I think I'd actually hate it. I mean REALLY hate it. Hate that I haven't had since the POTO movie.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 pm

An ex-West End Marius who shall not be named on LND:

"I've never been so bored at the theatre. The music was dull, the story pointless and the acting dreadful. I so wanted it to be good as well, but alas, it wasn't to be."

Interesting to hear the same thoughts coming from actual performers...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:09 pm

The Melbourne Love Never Dies trailer from the RAH Dvd has surfaced on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD0Mhcg2-88

I, like others, think that the Melbourne version is superior to the West End version, despite my longstanding misgivings about the entire concept of the sequel.

Favorite part in the trailer, about 33 seconds in, "Phantom's gotta choke a ..." (oh wait, family friendly board, right.) Also, shirtsleeves action does not hurt. Wink

Interesting that at the end they say it's going to be release on DVD/Blu-Ray/Cinema. So, he plans for this to be shown in movie theaters? Hm.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:25 pm

As a visual aide to my above post...

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 21 Phantom_chokaraoul

Nuff said. Smile

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:36 pm

Nice visual aide there. flower

I am actually looking forward to seeing this DVD next year. bounce
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for posting that trailer. I still have some major misgivings with parts of the plot but visually I think the Australian production looks stunning and I like what I've heard of the cast.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:38 pm

I think its pretty. I just wished that Andrew Lloyd Webber created some sort of musical based off the circus atmosphere and didn't link it to Phantom. Its such a muck.

Last edited by MasqPhan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited for language. Please remember all ages can visit these boards.)
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 am

I thought you folks would appreciate this LA Times piece criticizing JK Rowling for revealing more information about the Potter world:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-meyers-pottermore-20111205,0,7249306.story
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 31 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26 ... 31  Next