Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love Never Dies - all views allowed

+66
AlwaysChristine
Jennie
operafantomet
NightRachel
MajesticPhantom
Melly
tromp-la-mort
charleygirl
Mme Reyer
RoseOfTransylvania
Lalilaloli
StrangerThanUDreamt
PhantomsGhost
Josephine
FeatherPen
ladygodiva
TheFinnishPhantom
marryholmes
Klavirista
Callie Daae
illegally blonde
Alyssa
PhantomAngel777
Deathshead1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Bric
davd09
LoveShouldDie
PMB1034
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Miss von Krolock
Christine's Shadow
InkedAlchemist
Phantomess
MasqPhan
PhantomJT
Rebecca
Phantom on a Budget
phantomphan1992
justin-from-barbados
Lucy
HDKingsbury
operaphan
Becky
Christine_Phan
Raphael
phantom10906
Freyalise
TGITPC
Viscountess
Aled_Boyo
Phantomlove
TheMaskedLion
ML6
starryeyed
LadyCDaae
SenorSwanky
Paula74
IamErik771
Helen
Mandrake
Madame Giry
Cape Twirl of Doom
phantomgirl110
70 posters

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31

Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 31 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Phantomasc Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 am

Why did you put quotes around human when referring to Andrew, do you consider him not human?  pale  affraid  You FORGOT to answer my question.

Phantomasc

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 31 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Bric Thu May 15, 2014 2:53 am

I didn't forget.

I'm ignoring you.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomasc Thu May 15, 2014 3:15 am

Why? Shocked

Phantomasc

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 31 Empty I would like to add my 2 cents to this topic.

Post  Christina Marie Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:45 pm

I saw the movie, bought the movie, saw it again on PBS.  I just didn't get it.  And then I bought John Owens-Jones version of "Until I Hear You Sing Again".  I finally got it.  That song was the crux of the whole movie.  And had ALW starred JOJ in this version of LND he would have had another hit on his hands.  John sang the lead song with such passion and verve and he would have brought not only his glorious voice to the movie but would have brought his expert acting ability to bring the part of "Phantom" back to where it needs to be and then  LND would have deserved the recognition that was so lacking in ALW's casting.   Just my 2 cents. I love you

Christina Marie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:19 am

I think anything with John Owen Jones in it would have been better, but I still think that the soap opera/ fan fiction plot and distorted characters would have kept the show second rate at best.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Christina Marie wrote:I saw the movie, bought the movie, saw it again on PBS.  I just didn't get it.  And then I bought John Owens-Jones version of "Until I Hear You Sing Again".  I finally got it.  That song was the crux of the whole movie.  And had ALW starred JOJ in this version of LND he would have had another hit on his hands.  John sang the lead song with such passion and verve and he would have brought not only his glorious voice to the movie but would have brought his expert acting ability to bring the part of "Phantom" back to where it needs to be and then  LND would have deserved the recognition that was so lacking in ALW's casting.   Just my 2 cents. I love you

I saw the Copenhagen production, with a cast to die for. The directing was much tighter and much more romantic. The set design was divine, the costumes gorgeous. The orchestra rich. And parts of the show still made me wanna scream. The libretto is so-so-so bad - both lyrics and storyline. By the time we got to the end scene where Mr. Y sings "Give me the hurt and the pain and the gun, Meg" I was shaking with laughter.

I really don't see how John Owen-Jones could have saved this travesty, divine voice or not. As I wrote, the Copenhagen cast was absolutely fantastic, but it doesn't change the fact that they have to work with a meagre material. I honestly think the same goes for both the West End production, the Aussie ones and the Japanese one. Casting has been consistently good, and it's been parts of what has saved the show. Without stellar cast and good visuals it would have been a true stinker.

While we're at visuals, this Copenhagen set will forever be one of my favourites. A nice nod to the original lair scene, without copying it. Depicted here is Tomas Ambt Kofod and Louise Fribo.
Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 31 20121029-183526-846941_0
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  MarySkater Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Christina Marie wrote:And then I bought John Owens-Jones version of "Until I Hear You Sing Again".  I finally got it.  That song was the crux of the whole movie.
The original lyric was "'Til I hear you sing once more."  Did they change it to "again"?  I wish they'd written that to start with.

I saw the show (the "revised" version) in London, with few preconceptions, expecting to enjoy it.  That song came early in the show, and I couldn't make sense of the "hear you sing once more."  I kept thinking, 'You've heard her sing hundreds of times.  Just what difference will "once more" make?'  Eventually I realised that what the song really meant was "again."  (And again and again ad infinitum...).  But my puzzlement over that lyric rather spoiled my mood, and it made me more aware of other things in the show that I didn't like.  Although I like Ramin as Phantom, I left the theatre feeling unsatisfied, and the more I thought about it on the way home, the more I realised that LND just didn't work.

Mary
MarySkater
MarySkater

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Indeed, Ben Lewis' Crazy Eyes (TM) notwithstanding, casting has never been a problem in this show (frankly, I admire the talent and fortitude of anybody who can get through "Beneath a Moonless Sky" with a straight face). But unlike PotO, which can be elevated above its structural flaws by strong performances, no amount of talent can cover up for LND's awful plot and unsympathetic characters.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Riene Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:46 pm

I ran across the songs to LND the other day while looking for something of Ramin Karimloo's. How did I never hear him sing? Clearly I was out of the Phantom world for much too long. (Ramin....mmmmmmmm)

Anyway, I've been watching the Australian production on YouTube off and on for a bit. And just.....ugh. If you take the Erik / Christine storyline completely by itself, it's not a badly done phan phiction. Though I've got to say, Gustave makes me grit my teeth.

What I liked:
1. 'Til I Hear You Sing and Beneath a Moonless Sky. Good songs, and I ended up buying the MP3's. (again and again? Dang, Erik....)
2. Loved the Beneath a Moonless Sky scene from the Australian production, though I kept expecting C to just slap the snot out of E at some point.
3. The music from the Love Never Dies scene, although the lyrics are on the lame side.
4. Christine's blue peacock dress and Erik's long flowing coat.
5. Ramin and Sierra. Great combination.
6. The music box's song was a nice touch, and I liked hearing echoes from Phantom every now and then.

What I loathed:
1. The entire Coney Island Freak Show concept and every single scene with it. Gag.vomit, hated it with passion. It was just so dark and ugly, garish, pointless.
2. Hated the whole Madame and Meg Giry thing. So unpleasant, out of cannon. I couldn't even watch the Bathing Beauty scene. Hated Meg's actions at the end.
3. The 'Til I Hear You Sing scene made me twitch--what is with the mannequin? Ick?
4. Everything Raoul. Again, this is something that felt like very badly done phan phiction to me--what's with always making him this pathetic, weak character? I've always rather liked Raoul. It takes a fair amount of courage to head down into a dungeon after a psychopath.
5. Erik's longer mullet-hair on Ramin. UGH.
6. The way Christine is so manipulated by essentially everyone in this show. She's just trying to hold her family together and the men are putting her into an impossible situation. Her former friends are back stabbing. I felt badly for her.
7. The ending. REALLY??? If we're going to set phan phiction on stage, then end it well.

Anyways, old news for you but, but new for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Riene
Riene

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rienerose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 31 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 29, 30, 31