Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas

+30
TwelveInchTailor
EvilAshLives
stephantom53
phantomsangel
Loettchen
PhantomOfTheSalle
NightRachel
phantom10906
ML6
ladygodiva
littlelotty004
MajesticPhantom
Phantom on a Budget
Scorp
HerMajesty
charleygirl
Devon
StrangerThanUDreamt
Aria Clements
MasqPhan
TheFinnishPhantom
meglett
Stephanie
LadyCDaae
AlwaysChristine
Melly
Raphael
operafantomet
Viscountess
Madame Giry
34 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas

Post  TwelveInchTailor Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 pm

O.O .... Wow, EvilAshLives, the detail.... just, wow! I am going to shamelessly drool over your costume as reference pictures for my current project. I won a (sadly nude and de-masked) Michael Crawford Ken doll on Ebay recently, and I'm determined to make him a beautiful, accurate and complete Michael Crawford wardrobe. Your cravat close-ups are amazingly helpful! Also, love the almost watered silk of the evening waistcoat fabric. Bravo, sir!

And Mellyflower - I should probably mention your Spoonflower page has been perpetually in my favourites since the fabric was released. One day, when my sewing skills are up to scratch, I'm going to try the wishing gown... One day...*laughs manaically* Your costume is wonderful!
TwelveInchTailor
TwelveInchTailor

http://twelveinchtailor.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas

Post  EvilAshLives Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:41 pm

TwelveInchTailor wrote:O.O .... Wow, EvilAshLives, the detail.... just, wow! I am going to shamelessly drool over your costume as reference pictures for my current project. I won a (sadly nude and de-masked) Michael Crawford Ken doll on Ebay recently, and I'm determined to make him a beautiful, accurate and complete Michael Crawford wardrobe. Your cravat close-ups are amazingly helpful! Also, love the almost watered silk of the evening waistcoat fabric. Bravo, sir!

Thank you for the compliment - I appreciate it!!  Here are a couple more pics of the bowtie/cravat:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0513

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0514

EvilAshLives

EvilAshLives

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Empty Many thanks!

Post  TwelveInchTailor Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:11 am

Aha, your secret is Velcro, Monsieur! *rubs hands together in elation* Thanks for taking the time to post pictures, EvilAshLives - that makes live much easier for me with my current project. I've never had to make a cravat for a man with a 2 inch neck measurement before! I'm quite tempted to cheat with it, as the 1998 licensed Phantom Ken doll did and simply sew it to the shirt, but I've some little velcro dots small enough to make this work!

TwelveInchTailor
TwelveInchTailor

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilAshLives Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Just sewed some new buttons onto my tailcoat.  I'm told that these are the same buttons used on many of the stage-used tailcoats.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0810

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0811

EvilAshLives

EvilAshLives

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Empty Human size costumes I have made

Post  TwelveInchTailor Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Thought I'd better establish my actual costume-making credentials here,with my first and only Phantom costume for humans - the Christine dressing down, complete with Hannibal bodice underneath. I remember, I was so proud of this costume when I made it, although I can see so much wrong with it now - the terrible seams, the sagging trim...the fact I sewed the hem ruffle on unevenly in a blind panic the night before and didn't notice until afterwards! But this was a pet project of mine that i learnt a lot from, and I made it in a fit of enthusiasm to pay homage to the fact we actually had a UK tour come to Manchester.
Turned out the costumes for the tour didn't look much better when I DID see it, but oh well

[img]Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 422390_3368049170141_693291112_n_zps3709c7ec[/img]

So here we go - the bodice! I was and still am proud of the bodice embroidery details. I based it on the pattern of the original Sarah Brightman costume, and I used plenty of tips from the internet lovely Phantom Costumers - one, a lovely lady called ArtistKae who used to be on Tumblr. She had a lovely helpful tutorial on what commerical patterns were a good basis for the gown, as well as a page showing how she drafted her Hannibal bodice. I based my pattern loosely on hers!
I also took huge swathes of reference ideas from Anea's Phantom Costume Design page. The beads on the straps were strange curtain hold-backs that I found in a fabric shop. I then attacked them with lots of glitzy nail varnish to get them the right colours. Again, I think I referenced Anea's wonderful website for this very useful tip. She was my costume guru for the whole making process - thanks, Anea!
Sadly, as you can see, the pieces weren't exactly even, but I made do as the date for seeing Phantom came closer. I also used detachable 'invisible bra' straps for the actual straps for the bodice - although it held up pretty well without it.

[img]Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 430297_3507596178729_1785163098_n_zps396c0f69[/img]

The dressing gown - this was made almost solely using ArtistKae's advice for customising vintage Butterick pattern B5152, which is now out-of-print. I used some special gorgeous net lace I'd hoarded from my days volunteering as a student at my local theatre's costume hire for the engageante sleeves. The perks of that job were amazing!The mannequin stood in my student kitchen and terrified my flatmates every time they went in the kitchen at night.

[img]Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 401566_3368052570226_143837022_n_zps9eb20c5d[/img]

The non-Peter Fox shoes - although I think there were a decent substitute. I looked up vintage 80s bridal court shoes on Ebay and found a plain white satin pair, and then simply bought some ribbon clips for the front. They look rather like a white version of Snow White's Disney Princess shoes, but definitely made me feel like an ingenue in them. I think the total cost for these was about £25 - not bad when you think how much the real thing are!

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 544943_3652132272041_567113316_n_zps185f5d72

And the finished thing! I wore it to the UK tour in Manchester at the Palace Theatre. Sadly, the wig there isn't looking at its best. I thought it was pretty snazzy at the time, but it is definitely a wig. And that picture is artfully photographed to hide the fact that hem ruffle looks like a roller coaster at the back. But it was my first 'phan costume' - and I was proud of it as a first try. Shame about the UK tour, but I guess you can't have everything.
TwelveInchTailor
TwelveInchTailor

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilAshLives Fri May 23, 2014 3:35 am

A few more pics of my Phantom costume.  That's Rocky down in the corner...

EvilAshLives

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0916

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0917

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0918

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0919

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag0920

EvilAshLives

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri May 23, 2014 5:14 am

Beautiful costumes everyone!  Very Happy 

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri May 23, 2014 3:18 pm

wow, Id give anything to get a proper mask done, not to mention a proper wig too
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm in awe of all the stunning recreations here. HOLY SOMETHING!!!  Very Happy 
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:24 pm

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=J0PO&Category_Code=FoamPros

saw that while diffing around online for Halloween makeup, was kind of surprised, thought that would have been copyrighted or something, it is very close, surely close enough to use, but that lip looks huge, maybe its a bad angle.

Recently saw first hand some of the Broadway makeup foam pieces, they definitely have stopped making them to the actor's face as all the ones I saw had a flat bottom, as if made on something flat, not a face mould. Also was a bit surprised at the lack of apparent detail, seems most detail these days is painted on.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilAshLives Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:25 pm

Finally got around to adding a securing mechanism to my cape so it'll stay on my shoulders.  The method I used is (I believe) something similar to what is done with the stage capes and which was first used on Bela Lugosi's Dracula cape.  This setup allows me to fasten the straps under my arms and behind my back, securing them with parachute clips.  I can also tighten and loosen the straps as necessary.  My execution was a bit crude (I'm not a skilled sewer), but hey, it works!

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag1213

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag1211

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag1212

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Imag1310

EvilAshLives

EvilAshLives

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=J0PO&Category_Code=FoamPros

saw that while diffing around online for Halloween makeup, was kind of surprised, thought that would have been copyrighted or something, it is very close, surely close enough to use, but that lip looks huge, maybe its a bad angle.

Recently saw first hand some of the Broadway makeup foam pieces, they definitely have stopped making them to the actor's face as all the ones I saw had a flat bottom, as if made on something flat, not a face mould. Also was a bit surprised at the lack of apparent detail, seems most detail these days is painted on.

FX Warehouse has been producing those for a couple of years now. I have a set of the original prosthetics they put out, and the updated photo looks like they redid the sculpt and added more detail to it.

EvilAshLives - Nice stuff, you look fantastic!
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilAshLives Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:07 am

Phantom on a Budget wrote:EvilAshLives - Nice stuff, you look fantastic!

Thank you - I appreciate it!!

EvilAshLives

EvilAshLives

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:35 am

EvilAshLives wrote:
Phantom on a Budget wrote:EvilAshLives - Nice stuff, you look fantastic!

Thank you - I appreciate it!!

EvilAshLives

I can only second this - great GREAT work!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilAshLives Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:25 pm

operafantomet wrote:I can only second this - great GREAT work!

Thank you so much!!

EvilAshLives

EvilAshLives

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:19 pm

*creeps in*

So I hope this is okay (I read the forum rules and couldn't find any reference to NOT being allowed to post this).

After doing a big clean-out of my hoard of costumes and sewing supplies, I found my old Hannibal Princess costume I made in collaboration with littlelotty004. I don't want to hold onto it because I know I won't wear it, but neither am I willing to just dispose of it because a lot of time, effort, love and FABRIC went into it!

So I was wondering if anyone might be interesting in purchasing it? I wouldn't be asking much, probably around $50 plus shipping costs. The construction is sturdy and the fabric used is mostly good quality satin, and the dress features beautiful waterfall drapery at the back. But there are flaws--the dress is unlined, the hem is trimmed in hand-painted lace which has since become stiff and unsightly (though it's easily removed) and the bust cups were sewn in two pieces. Also it's in desperate need to be worn with a hoop skirt.

If anyone is interested, please PM me. I'm located in Australia so shipping can be quite expensive, but I'm open to negotiations on the price.

[img]Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Th_P1010921[/img] [img]Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Th_P1010922[/img] [img]Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Th_P1010923[/img]
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:51 am

The Master of Disaster is back! Very Happy

So after a couple years way from POTO land, I've been busy lately getting geared up for an appearance at PhantomCon.  I commissioned a new, replica Phantom costume by Enchanted Sea Studiowhich just came in and it is BEAUTIFUL!  Check out that link for more information on how she went about constructing the tail suit.  Also, I did a thorough video tour below:

Also, I FINALLY finished that second wig project that I originally started in 2007/2008.  I considered it again in 2011, but ran away from it screaming.  But PhantomCon and the elevation of my costuming game meant fixing the issues on my original wig, so I dusted off Valentino 2 and put the finishing touches on it tonight...which I was happy about.  

(NEVER AGAIN I MEAN WHY DID I WANT TO MAKE A WIG ANYWAY LET ALONE TWO WHAT A SILLY THING TO DO GOOD HEAVENS THAT WAS HIGHLY UNNECESSARY)

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Tumblr_nrrcjjknx01tkr15zo1_1280

Video about the wigs:

I also took the opportunity to film a few more informational videos:
- Casting Gelatin and Liquid Latex Phantom Prosthetics
- Painting and Applying Do-It-Yourself Phantom Prosthetics
- Planning Your Phantom of the Opera Costume/Cosplay
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:41 am

Man, I am stunned by everything you guys are doing/have done. I'll just forget about me wanting to make Meg's Gypsy Girl costume and cry in a corner...
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Irina de France wrote:Man, I am stunned by everything you guys are doing/have done. I'll just forget about me wanting to make Meg's Gypsy Girl costume and cry in a corner...

DON'T YOU DARE! We want to see your Gypsy Girl costume and I hope you follow through with making it! Smile
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Well, I really haven't started anything, I need to learn how to sew properly and until now, I've just been peeking around for fabrics and everything. But since you're encouraging, I'll do my best to keep on going and not giving up tongue
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Some photos from PhantomCon last weekend, with the wonderful Viscountess!  Many thanks to InkedAlchemist for the photos and the help that weekend!

Phantom makeup and wig by me, Phantom replica tailsuit by Enchanted Sea Studio, Phantom cape by Viscountess Designs (thanks for letting me wear it!).  Smile

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 DSC02204small
Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 DSC02254small
Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 DSC02282small
Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 DSC02290cropsmall
Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 DSC02349small
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:44 am

MlleMusique wrote:*creeps in*

So I hope this is okay (I read the forum rules and couldn't find any reference to NOT being allowed to post this).

After doing a big clean-out of my hoard of costumes and sewing supplies, I found my old Hannibal Princess costume I made in collaboration with littlelotty004. I don't want to hold onto it because I know I won't wear it, but neither am I willing to just dispose of it because a lot of time, effort, love and FABRIC went into it!

So I was wondering if anyone might be interesting in purchasing it? I wouldn't be asking much, probably around $50 plus shipping costs. The construction is sturdy and the fabric used is mostly good quality satin, and the dress features beautiful waterfall drapery at the back. But there are flaws--the dress is unlined, the hem is trimmed in hand-painted lace which has since become stiff and unsightly (though it's easily removed) and the bust cups were sewn in two pieces. Also it's in desperate need to be worn with a hoop skirt.

If anyone is interested, please PM me. I'm located in Australia so shipping can be quite expensive, but I'm open to negotiations on the price.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 <a href=Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Th_P1010921" />  Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 <a href=Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Th_P1010922" />  Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 <a href=Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Th_P1010923" />

Oh definitely OK to share that here. I think it's the first time I've seen a replica of the Hannibal Princess costume, how awesome!

And Phantom on a Budget, holy wow. There are no words. Shocked (<--- positive shock)
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  todaaefor Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:24 pm

So.. what does everyone think of the new Broadway Star Princess shoes?

https://instagram.com/p/7WSMj1EtJt/?taken-by=rachelzatcoff

Credit - Rachel Zatcoff's Instagram.

I'm seeing the show in two weeks - curious if they've also made this change in London or if anyone has seen these in person?

todaaefor

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:19 pm

From what I gather - the new Masquerade shoes are a prank, right?
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Post  todaaefor Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Irina de France wrote:From what I gather - the new Masquerade shoes are a prank, right?

Ha! If that's the case then lesson learned - don't believe everything you see on the internet Laughing

todaaefor

Back to top Go down

Post  Irina de France Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:12 pm

I got a feeling they did this only because, well, you know how phans react to stuff... Laughing
Irina de France
Irina de France

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 Empty Phantom Mould

Post  stephantom53 Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:27 pm

havent been on here for ages but i thought post this what i required of ebay,a chris tucker actual mould from david shannons time,made up to get this and amamzing how big they are

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 <a href=Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 9 12009510" />
stephantom53
stephantom53

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:09 am

Irina de France wrote:From what I gather - the new Masquerade shoes are a prank, right?

From how I understood it: it was an emergency solution that day. The other option would have been Christine's black boots, which would have been more of a crash.

That said, I hope the feedback given gave an indication of the frustration many phans has felt when seeing them doing similar changes to the restaged tour costumes. They've used similar shoes for Christine there, along with long white satin gloves, a prom queen tiara and a stripped down bodice. So I can see why people felt the shoes Rachel Zatcoff posted a photo of could be the start of a major overhaul, and reacted negatively. BUUUT as mentioned, I think it was an emergency solution more than a prank or a permanent change.

(And I'm glad, cause 1920s dance shoes doesn't really belong to an 1880s fancy dress)
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:12 am

phantomonabudget, I know I've gushed over your and Viscountess' amazing replicas on other platforms. But I just have to do it here as well. Wow oh wow oh wow.

stephantom53 - DOUBLE WOW! Those are amazing. I won't even ask how you got them. Cool
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9