Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas

+30
TwelveInchTailor
EvilAshLives
stephantom53
phantomsangel
Loettchen
PhantomOfTheSalle
NightRachel
phantom10906
ML6
ladygodiva
littlelotty004
MajesticPhantom
Phantom on a Budget
Scorp
HerMajesty
charleygirl
Devon
StrangerThanUDreamt
Aria Clements
MasqPhan
TheFinnishPhantom
meglett
Stephanie
LadyCDaae
AlwaysChristine
Melly
Raphael
operafantomet
Viscountess
Madame Giry
34 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas

Post  MajesticPhantom Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:18 pm

I think Christine's quickest changes are from Masquerade into Blue Dress and from Amnita to Wedding Gown, but nowhere near as fast as Carlotta and Meg. I have always suspected that before she rides the boat down into the Final Lair that they undo some of the dress.... I think this because in London she lies down until the boat arrives downstage, where she is lifted up, back hidden from audience view. In the US, she wears one of her capes over the dress. Both these maneuvers make me think they're hiding bits that are undone. I think I prefer how it's done in London, because I cannot imagine the Phantom giving her time to throw on this cloak whilst n that state of mind. Thoughts?

ETA There was one time I've seen the show that the change to the wedding dress was delayed. It was 2003, Broadway with Panaro and Kris Koop in one of her rare Christine performances. The violin that riff that opens the Final Lair went on for quite a bit of time before he dragged her on... it built a lot of tension!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas

Post  operafantomet Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:I think Christine's quickest changes are from Masquerade into Blue Dress and from Amnita to Wedding Gown, but nowhere near as fast as Carlotta and Meg. I have always suspected that before she rides the boat down into the Final Lair that they undo some of the dress.... I think this because in London she lies down until the boat arrives downstage, where she is lifted up, back hidden from audience view. In the US, she wears one of her capes over the dress. Both these maneuvers make me think they're hiding bits that are undone. I think I prefer how it's done in London, because I cannot imagine the Phantom giving her time to throw on this cloak whilst n that state of mind. Thoughts?
Yeah, most European Aminta costumes have both hooks + bars and velcro in the back of the bodice. The former is in use in PONR, the latter is in use during the second boat scene. This enables the dress to be literally ripped off and lifted over her head WHILE she steps into the wedding gown which lies flat like a ring on the floor. Quite a maneuver, performed by a minimum of two dressers.

The US Aminta costumes have a zipper in the back, and though I don't know if this is the case I too suspect the cloak is added to conceal that they've opened the bodice in the back to make the costume change faster. I've always wondered how Christine get a hold of that cloak when kidnapped by the Phantom. Maybe they ran past her dressing room and through her mirror? Razz
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 pm

operafantomet wrote:This enables the dress to be literally ripped off and lifted over her head
Sorry. I blacked out for a second. What were you saying?

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Raphael wrote:
operafantomet wrote:This enables the dress to be literally ripped off and lifted over her head
Sorry. I blacked out for a second. What were you saying?
I was saying something along the lines of THANK GOD YOU'RE NOT A DRESSER... Razz
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Okay Raphael, you help with Christine's post-PonR quick change and I'll sponge Raoul down for his Final Lair entrance. Deal?

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 am

Is there a reason only some Megs get the "angel chestplate" Slavegirl bodice and some get one of the plainer ones? Like Paloma Garcia Lee and Brianne have the former while Heather, despite having been principal Meg for the last several years, has the latter. And inversely, Sarah Combs is the first Christine (understudy or otherwise) that I've seen with the latter, though I'm sure that one was just because it was an existing costume in her size.

Just curious.
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:26 am

Viscountess wrote:Is there a reason only some Megs get the "angel chestplate" Slavegirl bodice and some get one of the plainer ones? Like Paloma Garcia Lee and Brianne have the former while Heather, despite having been principal Meg for the last several years, has the latter. And inversely, Sarah Combs is the first Christine (understudy or otherwise) that I've seen with the latter, though I'm sure that one was just because it was an existing costume in her size.
My own, private theory? They're cheaper (cheaper as in "needs less materials and work" not "cheap"!). In elder US pictures there's a fair mix of the ones with "appliqué collar" and "beaded collar". In recent photos there's more of the "appliqué collar" versions than the beaded one. It seems to indicate it's quicker to make, and/or needs less mending than those with beads.

Christine and Meg almost always gets the one with "bra" and "angel chestplate". Partly because Christine is to mimick Carlotta's beaded bodice, and partly because Christine and Meg echoes eachother. The exception is understudies, which seems to use the costume that fits them best. And then there's Heather McFadden. I don't know what's going on there. Might be that one costume fit her perfectly and they/she wanted to keep it?

Whatever the case, I've never seen a Meg or Christine being put in the "Valkyrie" version in the US. But several Megs has worn this version in at least Australia/World Tour and in Europe. Maybe because the one resembling it most in the costume design is blonde? The design is just sporting four different variations over the same theme, however, I think the designer just indicated different... eeer, boob sizes rather than different design.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Slavegirlvalkyrie
The "Valkyrie" version. It's not my favourite. But I have a weak spot for it, because it's the most rare and least liked one... From the left: one of Maria Bjørnson's designs from 1986, current Broadway ballerina, Nadia Komazec in the World Tour, and Natasha Knight from Holland.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 am

I received the Meg wig today from Paloma and I love it! I will take pictures of it on soon but first I need to figure out the pin curls/wig cap.

The wig is a bit on the darker side than I expected. More of a redish/brownish blonde instead of a very light blonde color.

The wig came in the bag from the maker (Rene of Paris). Along with the wig, Paloma also sent a pair of her ballet shoes, a signed playbill and a signed poster.

For storing the wig, I bought a vintage blue wig case and foam head on Etsy. I think this case is the perfect home for the wig. Smile

Here are a few pics:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig1 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig3 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig4 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig7
Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig9 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig12 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig13
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:35 am

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Angelacaesarprimadonna

Apart from the whole debate "How the h... is this Maria Bjørnson's design", I find it interesting that the graphic designers of the brochure felt the costume was somewhat lacking, and photoshopped it to pieces. See that "panier" at the side of the skirt? The fabric comes from the hem, not the skirt, and the sheer ruffle disappears into nothing. The ruffles of the skirt hem is also photoshopped in there and vanishes magically. The roses of the skirt split also seems to come from the bodice? Don't think the pale train belongs there either.

LAUGHING SO HARD! Laughing

From Wanderingchild's Tumblr: http://wanderingchild.tumblr.com/post/25395458237/prima-donna-uk-tour
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:36 am

Stephanie wrote:I received the Meg wig today from Paloma and I love it! I will take pictures of it on soon but first I need to figure out the pin curls/wig cap. (...)

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig1 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig3 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig4 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig7
Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig9 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig12 Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Th_wig13
Whoa whoa whoa!!!! Awesomesauce!! Thank you so much for sharing those photos!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 pm

operafantomet wrote:

Apart from the whole debate "How the h... is this Maria Bjørnson's design", I find it interesting that the graphic designers of the brochure felt the costume was somewhat lacking, and photoshopped it to pieces. See that "panier" at the side of the skirt? The fabric comes from the hem, not the skirt, and the sheer ruffle disappears into nothing. The ruffles of the skirt hem is also photoshopped in there and vanishes magically. The roses of the skirt split also seems to come from the bodice? Don't think the pale train belongs there either.

LAUGHING SO HARD! Laughing

Argh. There's only one word to describe that costume: cheap.

Poor Maria, having these travesties claimed as her work. The graphic designers appear to be having some fun, though!
charleygirl
charleygirl

http://www.charleygirl.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Stephanie wrote:I received the Meg wig today from Paloma and I love it! I will take pictures of it on soon but first I need to figure out the pin curls/wig cap.

The wig is a bit on the darker side than I expected. More of a redish/brownish blonde instead of a very light blonde color.

The wig came in the bag from the maker (Rene of Paris). Along with the wig, Paloma also sent a pair of her ballet shoes, a signed playbill and a signed poster.

For storing the wig, I bought a vintage blue wig case and foam head on Etsy. I think this case is the perfect home for the wig. Smile

Here are a few pics:

Oh-so-pretty! If you look in that PDF of the book I mentioned to you, they have an excellent selection on prepping your hair in pincurls for wigs.

And you are lucky you got a front with the extra lace!! My Meg wig does not have one, but my Christine one does.

Also: you may want to invest $30-50 in a canvas wig block ... there is a specific way to put the wig on the wig block when it has lace in the front - you use a ribbon over the edge and pin that to the canvas. Like I mentioned before, it's all in the book Very Happy

EDIT: for those of you wondering, Wig Making & Styling, is an EXCELLENT book... covers everything from the tools, making a wig and other pieces, types of wigs, styling, prepping hair, etc, etc, anything you could think of. One of my favorite "costuming" books. http://www.amazon.com/Wig-Making-Styling-Complete-Theatre/dp/0240813200

EDIT EDIT: (5,000 edits on this post sorry) - thought it'd be funny to share, I got my wigs in August 2010, and moved houses in September 2010. I guarded those wigs like they were my first born children. I wouldn't let anyone touch them, I had notes plastered all over them, and I had to transport them myself. LOL

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:40 pm

artistkae wrote:

Oh-so-pretty! If you look in that PDF of the book I mentioned to you, they have an excellent selection on prepping your hair in pincurls for wigs.

And you are lucky you got a front with the extra lace!! My Meg wig does not have one, but my Christine one does.

Also: you may want to invest $30-50 in a canvas wig block ... there is a specific way to put the wig on the wig block when it has lace in the front - you use a ribbon over the edge and pin that to the canvas. Like I mentioned before, it's all in the book Very Happy

EDIT: for those of you wondering, Wig Making & Styling, is an EXCELLENT book... covers everything from the tools, making a wig and other pieces, types of wigs, styling, prepping hair, etc, etc, anything you could think of. One of my favorite "costuming" books. http://www.amazon.com/Wig-Making-Styling-Complete-Theatre/dp/0240813200

I started to try the pincurls last night but I just got impatient and stopped. I'll try again tonight. Smile

I definitely want to get a canvas wig block. I'm not a fan of the current one and the wig is too big for it.

And to echo artistkae - I took a look at the book she recommended. It is filled with useful and helfpul info!
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 pm

-

Last edited by amusingaminta on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 am

artistkae wrote:I wanted to re-make Aminta but I won't have the money, and Anea is going to be in her fabulous replica, which I am NOT going to compete with! Razz
Too bad. Two Amintas would make for one very happy apple.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 am

Raphael wrote:
artistkae wrote:I wanted to re-make Aminta but I won't have the money, and Anea is going to be in her fabulous replica, which I am NOT going to compete with! Razz
Too bad. Two Amintas would make for one very happy apple.

R.

Send me some $$ and I'll make it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:24 pm

artistkae wrote:
PS all, might as well mention it since I've told a few others, but I'll be going to Vegas. I just hope my other costume sells so I can pay off part of my credit card Wink

One thing - whoever I'm making a costume for, for the Vegas trip, I want to get a group photo of us Very Happy I can't wait to see my costumes on other people bounce

Pics are a must. Can't wait to wear my/your dressing gown.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:28 pm

-

Last edited by amusingaminta on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:45 am

artistkae wrote:

There might be a few people in costumes I made... I am so thrilled! Very Happy I will be working my hardest on everything. Hopefully I'll get enough time to do my own costume Surprised

I honestly think this is going to be the best group of phans dressed in costume, ever. I am so excited! Very Happy

I agree! It is going to be great. Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  Devon Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:48 am

Stephanie wrote:I received the Meg wig today from Paloma and I love it! I will take pictures of it on soon but first I need to figure out the pin curls/wig cap.

AWESOMENESS! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures, so happy that you got the Meg wig!!! Now you'll have to post pics of YOU modeling it! :-)
Devon
Devon

http://devonsdomain.yolasite.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:19 am

operafantomet wrote:Yeah, most European Aminta costumes have both hooks + bars and velcro in the back of the bodice. The former is in use in PONR, the latter is in use during the second boat scene. This enables the dress to be literally ripped off and lifted over her head WHILE she steps into the wedding gown which lies flat like a ring on the floor. Quite a maneuver, performed by a minimum of two dressers.

Yesterday, from where I was sitting it was very obvious that Sofia Escobar's Aminta dress had been undone at the back before she got into the boat. She started off on her back, but turned over as the boat moved round and you could see it hanging open.
charleygirl
charleygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Guess who's got awesome new boots for her Madame Giry costume?

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Newgiryboots

That's right. Wink

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Yay for Victorian ankle boots!

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Ooh, those are gorgeous! Very Happy
charleygirl
charleygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Red Death in London has new shoes.

Killian Donnelly last year (after raiding JOJ's dressing room):

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Killian_shoes

Si Shorten, also 2011:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Sishorten_reddeath

Peter Joback, last week:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Reddeath_shoes_westend2012
charleygirl
charleygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:49 am

I need these shoes. All of them.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Melly Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:05 am

So Rococo... I love them Smile the Louis XIV style Very Happy
Melly
Melly

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:03 pm

So I was poking around on Tumblr and looking at Phantom stuff and...

Phantom costumes - real and replicas - Page 5 Tumblr_m1mruePjLY1qe93nho1_1280

From: http://betsyphan.tumblr.com/post/20105200998/the-warehouse-where-phantom-costumes-are-stored

That is all. Smile

~Madame~

Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 am

Madame Giry wrote:So I was poking around on Tumblr and looking at Phantom stuff and...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/Trifari/tumblr_m1mruePjLY1qe93nho1_1280.jpg

From: http://betsyphan.tumblr.com/post/20105200998/the-warehouse-where-phantom-costumes-are-stored

That is all. Smile

~Madame~

I think the question everyone is asking is WHY ON EARTH IS THERE EVEN A GARBAGE CAN THERE? Razz
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

Viscountess wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:So I was poking around on Tumblr and looking at Phantom stuff and...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/Trifari/tumblr_m1mruePjLY1qe93nho1_1280.jpg

That is all. Smile
I think the question everyone is asking is WHY ON EARTH IS THERE EVEN A GARBAGE CAN THERE? Razz
So you can dump your own clothes there when grabbing a costume to wear....? Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next