Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 27 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Wow - correct me if I'm wrong, Starryeyed, but hasn't Anna Cervantes been in the ensemble for years and years? I know that a few of the ballet girls have been in the show for ten years or more. If so, I think that's great. It's a really positive message to send. I have nothing against Barry James or Gareth Snook - both are veterans of the stage who have earned their stripes, and I've seen both perform in other productions - but I guess that my personal campaign to see Philip Griffiths promoted to Andre was a failure again this year. Oh well. There's still next year, I suppose!

Incidentally, any word on a Carlotta or a Piangi?

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Anna Cervantes is a name I definitely recognize. However, I don't think she's been with the West End cast for THAT long. I have complete cast lists for 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005 and 2006, and her name only appears on the latter. But she's been a regular in the cast ever since. But Allison Croft and Lynn Jezzards are long-timers, and much beloved I think.

Thanks for the update on the new cast. We're starting to get a list now!

CHRISTINE: Sofia Escobar
CHRISTINE ALTERNATE: Tabitha Webb
RAOUL: Will Barratt
MADAME GIRY: Cheryl McAvoy
MEG GIRY: Anna Cervantes
MANAGERS: Barry James and Gareth Snook
STANDBY PHANTOM: Scott Davies
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:31 pm

I've seen Anna Cervantes play Meg once and I really liked her, so I'm really pleased that she's been promoted. I've not seen Cheryl McAvoy as Mme Giry, but I'm looking forward to seeing her. It's lovely that some understudies have been promoted, it's not something that happens often at Her Majesty's!

I guess that my personal campaign to see Philip Griffiths promoted to Andre was a failure again this year. Oh well. There's still next year, I suppose!

Yes, next year hopefully. Is it safe to assume that he's staying on as the auctioneer and Reyer?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Ah yes, you're right, Operafantomnet - I've done a check. Anna Cervantes is a relatively new addition while some others are veterans. Lynn Jezzard, of course, hasn't been on stage for quite a few years and has moved on to part of the in-house direction team, but one can still spot Fiona Morley on stage from time to time in her capacity as a ballet swing. I believe that it is Liesl Doswett and Alison Croft who have been in the cast for a number of years. Or at least they're names that I can remember seeing over the past few years. Either way, I'm glad to see that in-house performers are being promoted for a change.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:52 pm

I think Philip Griffiths is one of those, like James Romick, Michael Lackey, and David Gaschen in the US, though to a lesser extent, who just are too versatile in the ensemble roles to be promoted to a more major role full-time. Has he ever understudied the Phantom, by the way?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Oh my goodness, no. Definitely not the type for that. Philip is quite small, and I don't believe that his voice has the range - all that and he must be well into his sixties by now. That said, he is a very solid performer who, as you suggest, Senor, contributes a lot to the ensemble. I've seen him play Andre a few times now, and he does the role to perfection. Let's face it - the managers roles have often been where seasoned veterans on the tail ends of their careers can go to stay in the action and not have to break too much of a sweat. Philip has been doing the auction for what must be close to twenty years now, so if any member of the ensemble deserves a promotion - even just for a year - it's him. I suspect you're right, though, that like Romick, he's valued in the ensemble.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Helen, you'll love Cheryl. She is very Heather Jackson-esque. She is a strong actress and vocalist and her spoken lines just sound how you expect Giry to sound. I can't put my finger on it but there's something about her intonation which is very good.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Going by your description, she seems like my kind of Giry! Has the new Carlotta been confirmed?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Helen wrote:Going by your description, she seems like my kind of Giry! Has the new Carlotta been confirmed?
I haven't heard anything, but judging by the general casting I wouldn't be surprised if Melanie Gowie was bumped up.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:54 pm

It's not her....She's announced on Twitter that she's leaving. I would still love for Rebecca Caine to come back and play the role, but it's probably next to impossible.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:21 pm

Yeah unfortunately Melanie is leaving. She's going to New Zealand for a month though so that's exciting and a nice break.
She doesn't have anything else lined up at the minute but I hope she lands something fantastic, she's a wonderful talent.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:42 pm

starryeyed wrote:Yeah unfortunately Melanie is leaving. She's going to New Zealand for a month though so that's exciting and a nice break.
She doesn't have anything else lined up at the minute but I hope she lands something fantastic, she's a wonderful talent.
I didn't quite feel her Carlotta, I must admit. I saw her twice in December, and although I think she is indeed talented, I would have wished for more as Carlotta. However, I felt the same way about Wendy Ferguson (which Gowie actually reminded of), and I know many was crazy about her portrayal. I guess it comes down to preferences.

Will be interesting to see who's landed the role!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Wendy Ferguson's name was floating around as someone who might be returning, though I imagine that she's committed to Oliver until it closes later in the fall. I imagine that Nicola Rutherford is still the other Carlotta understudy. If Wendy Ferguson is coming back, maybe Nichola will be bumped up for a little while.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 pm

Is Wendy Fergusson still in Oliver? I've just had a quick look at the show's website, and her name isn't on the cast list.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:32 pm

I saw her as Widow Corney not all that long ago. I've just been to the website, and you're right - no sign of her there - though she's still listed as being in the cast on officiallondontheatre.co.uk. Maybe she has finished her run. More fuel to the fire!

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:45 am

Wendy Ferguson has left Oliver yes...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:06 am

Oh no.... I don't like the sound of that.

On a random note, it seems the Argentine production didn't go for the "young and sexy Phantom" thing at all. They had one principal and one alternate; Carlos Vittori and Juan Pablo Skrt (sic!). I haven't found their exact age somewhere, but both seems to be well over 40, maybe more. Or maybe they would be mighty offended by that comment... Wink

I think Skrt looked particularly striking in costume, the closes I've seen to Crawford in terms of style and authority in pictures:
https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v323/reiseaudun/designphantom/lairargentinaskrt.jpg

I'm X'ing my fingers the London production don't get a young adonis in the mask... I'd rather have a long-timer return, be it John Owen-Jones or another.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 pm

I keep hearing SJD is going to be the new Phantom and is just throwing everyone off by saying he is "leaving" on October 30th. However, I don't see why on earth he wouldn't take over in September if it were him...

Also, Wendy Ferguson is Carlotta, I wish there was a few more new faces coming in...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:37 pm

I wonder if it's something to do with the contract dates for David Shannon?. Maybe they agreed that Scott Davies would do principal duty for September and October (and that SJD would be standby) before they found the new Phantom. And maybe at the time they thought that the Phantom would be someone else (ie JOJ). Who knows? I'm just curious as to why they haven't put a casting announcement on the main page yet, even though they did so for Broadway nearly a week ago.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 pm

London is awful for properly announcing new casting. Last time I remember them doing it was when Gina and Simon first joined.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:04 pm

starryeyed wrote:I keep hearing SJD is going to be the new Phantom and is just throwing everyone off by saying he is "leaving" on October 30th. However, I don't see why on earth he wouldn't take over in September if it were him...

Also, Wendy Ferguson is Carlotta, I wish there was a few more new faces coming in...

I'd love SJD to be the new Phantom, but like you, I don't understand why he wouldn't take over in September. I've got mixed feelings about Wendy Ferguson coming back as Carlotta. I did like her a lot when she was in the show before, but I'd only ever seen her. I'm interested to see if my opinion of her changes, now that I've seen other Carlottas. Is Rohan Tickell definately leaving? I remember that him and Wendy worked really well together. If he is leaving, is there any news of a new Piangi?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:53 am

Helen I am of much the same viewpoint as you. You feel you love anyone if you've only seen them. Case in point - Benjamin Lake. I thought he was "fantastic" and "hillarious" as Piangi and wondered why everyone slated him. When Rohan returned the next year I realised that Benjamin hadn't done a "fantastic" portrayal by any means. Rohan is definitely leaving, from what I can gather anyway. I think the exact number is 20 are leaving with quite a few getting bumped up.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:03 am

starryeyed wrote:Helen I am of much the same viewpoint as you. You feel you love anyone if you've only seen them. Case in point - Benjamin Lake. I thought he was "fantastic" and "hillarious" as Piangi and wondered why everyone slated him. When Rohan returned the next year I realised that Benjamin hadn't done a "fantastic" portrayal by any means. Rohan is definitely leaving, from what I can gather anyway. I think the exact number is 20 are leaving with quite a few getting bumped up.
It should be noted that Rohan Tickell is exceptionally good, though. I don't think I ever saw Benjamin Lake. But I bet he was good, just not Tickell good. That's the bad thing with seeing the show multiple times... Once you've seen a role being perfected on stage, it's hard to see a less perfected interpretation. Though it's healthy too! My taste has been expanded a lot after seeing various takes on the roles.

Still a bit miffed over the Wendy Ferguson news. Neutral I don't think her Carlotta have any sense of humour or charm. She's just angry and loud. Or, she was. Maybe she'll try a new approach this time around.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:56 pm

I can't say that I'm upset with Wendy Ferguson news. I've seen her several times and thought she was great. She takes a more standoffish, 'take me seriously because I'm a big deal' approach to the role, but I found it worked for her. Just preferences, I guess. I admired how she belted out the notes seemingly effortlessly. Every now and then, though, you could really hear the Northern Irish accent.... 'from the enslaving forrrrrrce of Rome' - nobody would notice unless it was someone who had seen the show a lot, but I thought it was great.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:17 pm

starryeyed wrote:Helen I am of much the same viewpoint as you. You feel you love anyone if you've only seen them. Case in point - Benjamin Lake. I thought he was "fantastic" and "hillarious" as Piangi and wondered why everyone slated him. When Rohan returned the next year I realised that Benjamin hadn't done a "fantastic" portrayal by any means. Rohan is definitely leaving, from what I can gather anyway. I think the exact number is 20 are leaving with quite a few getting bumped up.

I didn't mind Benjamin Lake's Piangi. I probably liked him more than most people. His voice was excellent, and he didn't annoy me, which is always a bonus. However, he didn't stand out in the same way Rohan Tickell does. He just blended into the background a little. I prefered his understudy, Brian McCann. 20 people, that's quite a clearout! Is Nicola Rutherford leaving? I prefer her Carlotta to Wendy's, so I'm hoping that she'll be made 1st cover.

Still a bit miffed over the Wendy Ferguson news. I don't think her Carlotta have any sense of humour or charm. She's just angry and loud. Or, she was. Maybe she'll try a new approach this time around.

At the time, I didn't notice that. However, having seen other Carlottas, Rebecca Lock's portrayal in particular, I understand what you're saying.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:11 pm

SJD tweeted about an audition for something. Doubt he's gonna squeeze that in and be the main man in the mask!
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:26 am

I don't think that it's going to be SJD either, actually, but who knows? If he is trying to fool people, he's going through an awful lot of trouble to do so.

Saw the show last night. All was fine, though it ran quickly. Curtain call was over by 10pm, and it must have been the quickest final lair that I've ever seen. As for Mr Shannon, I just don't think that it's a part that does him a great service. While I found him to be a brilliant Valjean, I found that he rushed through scenes here in Phantom - and, more often than not, he almost seemed to 'mutter' the lyrics. He 'went for it' every now and then, but I was thinking to myself that someone who didn't already know the lyrics (a considerable portion of the audience), they wouldn't be able to pick out what he was singing (especially the 'Christine, I love you' at the end). On the other side of things, though, when he projects, he has a beautifully precise, clear voice, and his pitch is bang on. Just a phenomenal voice that hits the mark with every phrase. He is so precise that it's like listening to a recording.

Ms Webb played nicely opposite him - a vulnerable Christine who reminded me very much of Robyn North. She was not overly dramatic, and you could see her maturing throughout the performance, exactly as a refined Christine would do. Mr Barratt played his role very much as a supporting character and did not upstage (which I personally found to be the case with Mr Bailey). I have further thoughts on the show and may get my act together and do a review. This performance marked the first time in over ten years that I saw the show without Philip Griffiths in some shape or form. He must have been out at the last minute, as his name was on the board.

As usual, an enjoyable night out. There were some wonky technical elements, and if I get my act together, maybe I'll pull my thoughts together on them.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:20 pm

auctioneer wrote:
Ms Webb played nicely opposite him - a vulnerable Christine who reminded me very much of Robyn North. She was not overly dramatic, and you could see her maturing throughout the performance, exactly as a refined Christine would do.

She reminded me a bit of Robyn North too. I can't quite put my finger on why though.

This performance marked the first time in over ten years that I saw the show without Philip Griffiths in some shape or form. He must have been out at the last minute, as his name was on the board.

I've only seen it once when Philip Griffiths has been off. Hearing someone else say the first lines of the show is so odd! I think they keep all the ensemble names on the board, and only change them when they're playing a principal role at the peformance.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:59 pm

You may be right, Helen. In my experience, this varies greatly -- sometimes the board simply isn't updated at all. Other times, though, I've seen names removed from the ensemble even when they're not covering a principal role. I remember chatting to a girl who used to work at the box office (this would be about eight years ago), and she told me that sometimes the company manager forgot to send along the info! It's too bad that this is so casual, especially as there are never pre-show announcements. The average audience member may therefore not be aware of who is playing each part on stage, though I imagine that the casual audience member isn't all that concerned. I do wish that they would either announce or include leaflets (as in New York).

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 am

Over on Whatsonstage forums the buzz is Hair's, Oliver Eyre, will be the new Raoul understudy. Anyone else heard this...anyone seen him & got a review? Be really curious to catch him, can remember seeing him in AmDram when he was at the tender age of 14.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next