Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 30 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  starryeyed Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 am

No, the new Buquet hasn't, I'll be honest I was really disappointed with him, but it was his first night so I think he was more thinking about getting to right the places at the right time etc. You hardly noticed him in Hannibal as he was walking around so fast. I'm sure he'll find his own way of doing it soon enough though Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 pm

starryeyed wrote:You know what makes me sad though, with all this cover bumping up you'd think it would finally be Phillip Griffith's time... but unfortunately he's still second cover.

I was hoping that Philip would finally be moved to first cover Andre. I've always wanted to see him. Do you have a list of the understudies by any chance?

She was very sweet however and my only complaint was I didn't like how she really acts like she's about to kiss the Phantom at the end of PONR before ripping the mask off

I've seen a Christine do that before. I'm not sure which one, though.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 am

OK take two: I didn't make it to Phantom last night as I was too exhausted, not been sleeping very well. Considering going tonight or Friday depending on whether I can get cheap seats...if I do bother I think tomorrow (Friday) is more likely. So same deal again, PM if interested.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:38 am

Helen, I'm actually out and about at the moment so this is purely from memory:

Cover Phantom - Brian McCann
Undertstudy Christine - Katy Treharne
First cover Raoul - Oliver Eyre / Second Cover Raoul - Nadim Naaman
First cover Giry - Kate Batter / Second cover Giry - Annatt Bass
First cover Carlotta - Nicola Rutherford / Second cover Carlotta - Carmen Vass
First cover Andre - John Jack / Second cover Andre - Phillip Griffiths (who celebrated 20 years with the show on Monday!)
First cover Piangi - Marc Vastenvondt / Second cover Piangi -Joseph Claus
First cover Firmin - Chris Holland / Second Cover Firmin - Michael Kerry
First cover Meg - Liesl Dowsett / Second cover Meg - Amy Hollins

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Hey starryeyed, did they mark this occasion somehow on Monday? I missed the performance as my flight left early the next morning to return to Canada, and I didn't want to chance being late and missing it owing to the tube strike.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Officially unfortunately no they didn't. Although I heard a few of the ushers making people aware it was the first performance of the new cast, but that was only if people were making specific comments to them. Funnily enough I also heard an usher being put on the spot about whether Christine sang the cadenza of POTO live... they squirmed indeed!

However, there was a private after party with drinks and the like and other such things but that can't really be spoken about in the public domain!

Also, just to let people know, Sofia will now be doing the normal principal schedule.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear - I was actually wondering if they marked Philip's anniversary somehow at the show. I would guess that they probably didn't, though!

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 pm

No, not in the show, but Phillip did make a speech after the show about his time at the show.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:48 pm

Drat. I really wish now that I had gone. Sorry to have missed this. What did he have to say?

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:00 am

Tickets are now on sale for the London production through late October, 2011. BUT they have blocked off the 25th Anniversary Weekend. Very Happy

I bought tickets for what I think will be cast change night of next year (if not, no big deal)! 5th Row Center! Couldn't be more thrilled for my London escapades, even if they are a year away... (Living there for a short while)
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:20 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:Tickets are now on sale for the London production through late October, 2011. BUT they have blocked off the 25th Anniversary Weekend. Very Happy

Oooh, well spotted! I think everyone should keep an eye on it, so that the minute they do become available we all get tickets. Smile

Saw the show yesterday with Earlfan. I was exhausted and semi-tipsy though, so the whole show washed over me like some sort of blurry dream, not my finest hour as an audience member. Scotty D is way better than David Shannon though. I miss some of the touches he did when I saw him 10 years ago, but it's nice to see his performance changes and is not 100% predictable like some of the recent London Phantoms. It feels as though I've entered into some sort of time warp, since in 2000 I saw Scott Davies and then JOJ took over...history repeating itself! Scott's final lair remains fantastic. I forgot to ask him if he'd read Leroux's novel, but he comes across to me as quite Leroucien in the final scene. Totally scared me when he jumped from his seat on the throne and said 'You try my patience', which I loved.

Tabitha Webb was on as Christine instead of Sofia Escobar. I didn't like her Christine. I was willing to give it a chance, but I didn't find the acting very good and I don't think her voice is quite suited to the role. Will Barratt did impress me as Raoul, though. Not as good as Simon Bailey, but he is not a bad Raoul at all. For some reason looks-wise he reminded me of Byron Nease. I find no humour in Wendy Ferguson's Carlotta, Rebecca Lock was a far superior actress. The new Meg is so-so, not a great singing voice but that doesn't matter, but the new Mme Giry is a lot better than Nicki Adams. I miss SJD as Buquet, but at least there may be more chance of seeing him as the Phantom I guess. Am I the only one who finds the current managers quite boring? I've never been keen on Gareth Snook's André. I do harbour some liking though for Barry James' Firmin, but he's not the best I've seen.

Lots of silly audience members; about a quarter of the Royal Circle assumed the end of Prima Donna was the interval and left their seats before getting very confused when Il Muto started playing. And has it always been the case that people clap when the Il Muto guys take their bows before the chandelier has dropped? It seems to have been getting worse over the years. I don't think people understand the idea of a play-within-a-play any more.

The seats in the Royal Circle are so worn. Such a pity for such a beautiful theatre. If ALW does sell off Her Maj's, it might do the theatre some good IMHO. RUG should be ashamed of how they've let that place fall into disrepair and take a leaf out of Cammie's book. I notice they're now selling 'The Brilliant Original' poster. While I like the fact they're selling new posters rather than just the traditional one, I'm a bit worried the purple silk thing is going to become THE logo from now on and will never change and has permanently replaced the black one, particularly after they changed all the signage. And someone make those Love Never Dies banners just go away...

Tragic audience member comments/actions: was asked what on earth a viscount was and whether the man who bought the music box at the beginning at the beginning was the Phantom. I guess it's not the most silly of things to ask, but... Lots of 'Enjoy Love Never Dies next week!' comments, urgh. I was dismayed when a woman who had just bought the OLC from an usher after the show then decided to purchase the DVD of youknowwhat. I think she'll be disappointed.

Also I am finding the fact that they have messed up the Red Death double's laughter since the digitial sound upgrade incredibly annoying. It just looks wrong, particularly since the laughter is there but barely audible. A double running around making threatening movements on the staircase with no maniacal laughter somehow comes across as...just silly.

Speaking of Masquerade, I looked out for the Lon Chaney dummy on the staircase. He wasn't there. Does he exist in the London production? May explain why I'd never noticed him before it was pointed out in the 'Did you notice...?' thread.

Show got a standing ovation and theatre seemed very packed.

Earlfan and I decided to meet Scott at the end. He was very nice and said he'd much rather be standby so he can see his kids. Oh well, not too long I guess before JOJ comes in. Planning to take some friends who've never seen the show before to see him in the role in November. Will they bother making a new brochure with Scott in as the principal? Somehow doubt it, but you never know...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Auctioneer, so sorry I messed up wording completely, he made a speech after the show but at the after show party, not actually after the show. Sorry!

And Scorp, every performance I've seen the audience have applauded the Il Muto people taking their bows. I think it's because they sense the interval is approaching and with the pre-recorded applause they all just join in. I also think sometimes it is obvious that they are in fact applauding the Phantom's last note of the reprise, especially if it seems to be going on for what seems like an eternity.

ETA: Will looks like a lot of people. Mainly Piers Morgan/ David Cameron. He also looks like David Beckham with long hair sometimes. I think he just has one of those faces. Oh he also looks like Niles Krane from Frasier but if you ever say that to his face he will actually slap you...

And on the subject of Scott, yes standby seems to suit him a lot more, but he does still love the role so at least he doesn't seem resentful.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Scorp, I entirely agree with many of your points. In my review of one of the performances I saw, one of my comments was that I'm annoyed when people clap during the bows just before the chandelier crash and I'm equally annoyed when people think that the end of Prima Donna marks the beginning of the interval. I can recall people standing up at the end of that for as long as I can remember, though. Maybe they should keep the lights down until the first few notes of Il Muto have played - though I doubt they'll change this now. Entirely agree about the state of the theatre - a pity, particularly in the dress circle. Last year, I recall a lady unable to sit in one of the seats, as she was pregnant, and there was no 'support' in the seat. Her Majesty's is a natually beautiful theatre, but it simply hasn't been maintained in recent years, despite the new roof and the refurbishment of the backstage area in the 90's. Front of house needs some work.

Today marks the start of my annual campaign to have Philip Griffiths promoted to principal Andre for September 2011. Think i'll be a success? I doubt it, but he deserves the promotion.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:47 pm

auctioneer wrote:Today marks the start of my annual campaign to have Philip Griffiths promoted to principal Andre for September 2011. Think i'll be a success? I doubt it, but he deserves the promotion.
I support that! Does he wants it, though?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Oh yes. According to his interview for RUG, he would "give his bottom end" to play the part. Pretty amazing that he said this on the RUG website! PG for Andre 2011!

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Oh, then I join the campaign!!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:48 pm

I would join your campaign but after I started my campaign for David Lawrence for principal Firmin he ended up completely leaving the show so you don't want me in your campaign!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Come on, starryeyed, join the bandwagon! I think that the risks of our losing Philip at this stage are fairly slim and that only retirement will push him out. I believe that this would be a great final phase of his career. I believe that he has mainly held ensemble roles in the theatre (in addition to his tenure as resident director at Phantom), so this would be a nice part to end with. Of course, David Cryer is still going strong as Firmin in New York at the age of 74, so who knows...?

Last edited by auctioneer on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 pm

starryeyed wrote:I would join your campaign but after I started my campaign for David Lawrence for principal Firmin he ended up completely leaving the show so you don't want me in your campaign!

I wanted him to be principal since the first time I saw him play Firmin. I think that was back in 2006. He was great in the role. Maybe one day he'll come back.

I think that the risks of our losing Philip at this stage are fairly slim, as only retirement will push him out, I think. I believe that this would be a great final phase of his career. I believe that he has mainly held ensemble roles in the theatre (in addition to his tenure as resident director at Phantom), so this would be a nice part to end with.

I'll join the campaign! It would be lovely for him to be principal Andre next year, given that it'll be his 21st year in the show. I've always wanted to see him, so from a purely selfish point of view, it would make it far easier to see him in the role! If he doesn't get principal, I'd like him to be moved to first cover. I'm quite surprised he hasn't been already.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Scorp wrote:Speaking of Masquerade, I looked out for the Lon Chaney dummy on the staircase. He wasn't there. Does he exist in the London production? May explain why I'd never noticed him before it was pointed out in the 'Did you notice...?' thread.
I have a theory. It might be wildly inaccurate.... But anyway. Here's a picture of the London Masquerade staircase sans cast:
The London production 1 - Page 30 Londonstagemask

On the right there's a red character I've seen referred to as "Mefisto". On top of the staircase there's a b/w harlequin patterned costume. Between these is a dummy with the face covered by some sort of... black mask? To my eye this remind a lot of the Lon Chaney one, except the face is white. Though, why would they cover up the face, when the whole point of it is that the face is that of Chaney? And we see too little of it to get an actual idea of its appearance. It was just something about the hair that reminded me of the Chaney one.

On the left there's the "snake woman" and the golden lion man, flanked by the rooster. This is the area where "Chaney" often seems to be placed in other productions. But he's definitely not there in the current London production.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:54 pm

operafantomet wrote:
I have a theory. It might be wildly inaccurate.... But anyway. Here's a picture of the London Masquerade staircase sans cast:
The London production 1 - Page 30 Londonstagemask

On the right there's a red character I've seen referred to as "Mefisto". On top of the staircase there's a b/w harlequin patterned costume. Between these is a dummy with the face covered by some sort of... black mask? To my eye this remind a lot of the Lon Chaney one, except the face is white. Though, why would they cover up the face, when the whole point of it is that the face is that of Chaney? And we see too little of it to get an actual idea of its appearance. It was just something about the hair that reminded me of the Chaney one.
From the posture and silhouette, that definitely looks like the same mold for the "Chaney" masquerader, although that's the first time I've seen the face painted black.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 pm

Right, I'll have to keep my eye on that side of the staircase next time, which will be 19 Nov. Cool Hoping JOJ will be on. If it's not him, who will it be? Is Scott going to be standby after October or is he leaving completely? I've got confused.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Scott's staying as standby, but I think has a holiday round then so you could get Brian McCann.

Also I'll be at the 10,001st performance of Phantom I realised today. Shame it isn't the 10,000th but I'm at Passion during the 10,000th.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:16 pm

starryeyed wrote:Scott's staying as standby, but I think has a holiday round then so you could get Brian McCann.

Also I'll be at the 10,001st performance of Phantom I realised today. Shame it isn't the 10,000th but I'm at Passion during the 10,000th.

Bad luck, you were only out by one performance!

We will have to make sure we all get tickets to the 25th anniversary night though.

Seeing Simon Bailey and Elena Roger (!!!) in Passion the day after tomorrow. Can't wait!
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:39 pm

I am going to be diligent to get those 25th Anniversary tickets.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:32 pm

Can anybody cofirm this?

The night of the 25th Anniversary, Crawford is returning as the Phantom. Just for that night. Is this true? Because everyone is spreading this rumor around.

I want to go to London...
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm

ML6 wrote:Can anybody cofirm this?

The night of the 25th Anniversary, Crawford is returning as the Phantom. Just for that night. Is this true? Because everyone is spreading this rumor around.

I want to go to London...
Haven't heard that, but I doubt it. Would love to see it, and would kill to be there. But I think the rumor probably started because, as was reported in the MC thread earlier, MC is working with ALW again, but as the Wizard in ALW's new production of Wizard of Oz next year.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm saying this as a major Crawford fan:
I doubt it'll happen, cause... can he still do it? I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he were present at the celebration, but actually performing the role?

IF it were to be true, however, I would probably sell my kidney and left foot and hair and whatnot to see him!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 pm

operafantomet wrote:I'm saying this as a major Crawford fan:
I doubt it'll happen, cause... can he still do it? I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he were present at the celebration, but actually performing the role?

IF it were to be true, however, I would probably sell my kidney and left foot and hair and whatnot to see him!
Me too.

As far as his ability, he certainly couldn't do it to the same quality he did 20 years ago when he left the role, which is why I think he would turn it down even if offered (and I'm sure ALW or Cam must have offered him a return in the past, since Colm and PK and other Phantoms have returned to that role and others (for Colm, particularly Valjean) multiple times). He's a perfectionist, and he wouldn't want to do something half-a$$ed. He knows his voice and body don't have the stamina they used to, which is part of why he doesn't perform as often anymore, and when he has done stage roles this decade and the last one, it's been supporting roles like Fosco and now the Wizard.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:10 pm

My friend in London is the one who told me. He said there might be an announcement. But the person he got it from is in the know, works at the theatre, and that's what was said yesterday. Even so, Id still buy a ticket. Something is going to happen. Crawford or not. My friend is a trustworthy person and he told me I could slay him and do what ever I like to him if it weren't.

Id still get a ticket if I were you people in London...
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next