Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 30 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  AlwaysChristine Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Scorp wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:i'm just thrilled beyond belief, I just wish i could see them. I love anna in LND and it would be such a nice change to see a London phantom that probably will sing in the 'american' style of the role (I hope, less shouting, lol)

Does the 'American style' mean overuse of vibrato? If so, I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I did like Marcus in Whistle though. But generally I'm very excited at having a new London Phantom, especially one who is not of the 'young and sexy' ilk. I would like to see a new Christine; do we reckon Anna's there to be groomed into becoming the principal?

I think Anna will sing well. I´m very excited to to see him! I hope so she´ll become it next year!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  tromp-la-mort Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm

SweetChristine wrote:
Scorp wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:i'm just thrilled beyond belief, I just wish i could see them. I love anna in LND and it would be such a nice change to see a London phantom that probably will sing in the 'american' style of the role (I hope, less shouting, lol)

Does the 'American style' mean overuse of vibrato? If so, I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I did like Marcus in Whistle though. But generally I'm very excited at having a new London Phantom, especially one who is not of the 'young and sexy' ilk. I would like to see a new Christine; do we reckon Anna's there to be groomed into becoming the principal?

I think Anna will sing well. I´m very excited to to see him! I hope so she´ll become it next year!
I've only heard Anna in Australian LND and I can't say I was impressed. True, she was good on the middle notes, but most hight notes were simply cut off her score. I wonder whether that was gone because ALW somehow decided to remove the very gist of Christine's score by robbing it of the high notes (knowing ALW, that might really be the case), or it was done for the sake of the singer's comfort?
Either way, I think I am a little sceptical about Anna's Christine – but the more I am looking forward to hearing her, good surprises are good cat
tromp-la-mort
tromp-la-mort

http://nadaalopov.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lycanthrope Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:26 pm

I, for one, am excited about the new cast. I thought Anna was great in LND and am equally intrigued by Marcus Lovett. Although I'm a big fan of JOJ, I'm quite glad he's not coming back after the tour, just because recycling the leads does get a little repetitive after a while. That being said, I thought Earl Carpenter was excellent back in March.

Just thought I'd post a few notes as I managed to catch Peter as the Phantom this week. I thought he sang the role fairly competently, though he put an awful lot of effort into the "be" in MOTN and was unable to sustain the final "night", and also cracked on the highest note of the final line of the show ("mu-SIC"). He also spoke-sang the lowest "past" in the solo part of PONR, which I was surprised at. I didn't find his voice unpleasant to listen to, and all credit to him on his accent, though he did tend to pronounce /a/ as /ä/ (so closer to /e/), so "and" came out closer to "änd". I can forgive him that, though, as German speakers often get that wrong, but I'm no expert on Swedish, so I would surmise that this may also be a problem for Swedish speakers. He had the occasional tendency to slip in some more American sounds, such as the rhotic vowel in "curse", and softened the dental /t/ in "let it be war" during Wandering Child. Vocals aside, I thought his acting was very earnest and dedicated. His MOTN really brought out the character's longing for Christine; he clasped her tightly during the pose, and was eager to see Christine awaken during the I Remember, before becoming engrossed in his music. His physicality was interesting, as his Phantom scuttles around the stage, almost twitching as if he suffered from some physical disability other than the facial distortion. This was particularly evident in the Final Lair, where he came across as quite grotesque and yet pitiful: his Phantom is a surprisingly sensitive lost soul who really has no chance with Christine, despite his misguided efforts to woo her. Sometimes I found him verging on camp, as if he were trying too hard to capture the (in this case affected) elegance of the character, but this can be contributed to the Phantom's idea of what constitutes elegance, which inspires more pity for him.

The rest of the cast were solid: I think Sofia is a sweet Christine with a good voice, though I thought her accent was better last year. She tends to drop consonants when belting out some notes. I preferred Killian this time as Raoul, he acts it well (and is not entirely sympathetic to begin with), and has a strong voice, though sometimes it sounds as if he pushes his vibrato a bit. Joanna Loxton was on as Mme Giry and she did a good job. I was sitting in the first row of the stalls, and I have to say the production looks magnificent up close - so much detail to behold in the costumes, sets, lighting that is just not visible further back. And the real star of the show, I thought, was the orchestra (although the tempi were fast and the performers often had to catch up). There's nothing like the swell of that richly orchestrated score coming from below you, and the sound is therefore wonderfully unamplified so you can pick up on details that are missed when sitting in the circle.

Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Haven't posted in a while. Lovely to see Heather Jackson on again for Madame Giry in what must have been an emergency cover. One of the real standouts from the past decade.
I am very hopeful for the new cast. I'd like to see a good, solid group this time.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:18 am

auctioneer wrote:Haven't posted in a while. Lovely to see Heather Jackson on again for Madame Giry in what must have been an emergency cover. One of the real standouts from the past decade

Lucky you, I'd love to see her play Mme Giry again. Was she as good as she was before? What did you think of she show in general?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 pm

I found the show OK. While taste is simply one's own, I simply can't go for the Joback Phantom or the Escobar Christine. Nothing against them; I'm sure that there are many who like the performances. I just find Joback's Phantom too 'eccentric' and not 'disturbed' enough and not tortured enough at the end. Similarly, I find Escobar's Christine too wooden. Pity that Donnelly is leaving so soon, as he reminds me of Simon Bailey's Raoul. Heather Jackson was a solid Giry for years. She put in a solid performance once again when I saw her. She clearly hasn't forgotten the track (she did, after all, play the role for well over five years!). I am looking forward to the return of a proper, strong Phantom who can sing the role well, do it eight times a week, and hopefully set a good pace for the rest of the cast. Orchestra, as always, continues to be phenomenal.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 am

auctioneer wrote:I found the show OK. While taste is simply one's own, I simply can't go for the Joback Phantom or the Escobar Christine. Nothing against them; I'm sure that there are many who like the performances. I just find Joback's Phantom too 'eccentric' and not 'disturbed' enough and not tortured enough at the end. Similarly, I find Escobar's Christine too wooden.
However I feel about the current cast, I think the major upcoming cast change is good for the West End production of Phantom. Keeps it vital.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:13 am

auctioneer wrote:I found the show OK. While taste is simply one's own, I simply can't go for the Joback Phantom or the Escobar Christine. Nothing against them; I'm sure that there are many who like the performances. I just find Joback's Phantom too 'eccentric' and not 'disturbed' enough and not tortured enough at the end. Similarly, I find Escobar's Christine too wooden. Pity that Donnelly is leaving so soon, as he reminds me of Simon Bailey's Raoul. Heather Jackson was a solid Giry for years. She put in a solid performance once again when I saw her. She clearly hasn't forgotten the track (she did, after all, play the role for well over five years!). I am looking forward to the return of a proper, strong Phantom who can sing the role well, do it eight times a week, and hopefully set a good pace for the rest of the cast. Orchestra, as always, continues to be phenomenal.

I haven't seen Jöback's Phantom (can't be bothered) but I agree about Sofia Escobar. I'm a bit disappointed she's staying on. I'll try and catch Anna next time I go. I just hope she doesn't do a Sierra-at-the-RAH and play the role with the knowledge of LND.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Scorp wrote:
auctioneer wrote:I found the show OK. While taste is simply one's own, I simply can't go for the Joback Phantom or the Escobar Christine. Nothing against them; I'm sure that there are many who like the performances. I just find Joback's Phantom too 'eccentric' and not 'disturbed' enough and not tortured enough at the end. Similarly, I find Escobar's Christine too wooden. Pity that Donnelly is leaving so soon, as he reminds me of Simon Bailey's Raoul. Heather Jackson was a solid Giry for years. She put in a solid performance once again when I saw her. She clearly hasn't forgotten the track (she did, after all, play the role for well over five years!). I am looking forward to the return of a proper, strong Phantom who can sing the role well, do it eight times a week, and hopefully set a good pace for the rest of the cast. Orchestra, as always, continues to be phenomenal.

I haven't seen Jöback's Phantom (can't be bothered) but I agree about Sofia Escobar. I'm a bit disappointed she's staying on. I'll try and catch Anna next time I go. I just hope she doesn't do a Sierra-at-the-RAH and play the role with the knowledge of LND.

How is Sofia Escobar? I heard not so many good things. I haven´t seen her.
But my hopes lies on Anna. We´ll see how she plays the role.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm

I agree that the upcoming cast change sounds promising. I always prefer having a proper Phantom who can do the role solidly and consistently. Sofia Escobar is a fine, utilitarian Christine who doesn't set the world on fire, but she's certainly not awful. I think we were all a little spoiled by Gina Beck, who was the best Christine we've seen in years. Sofia Escobar is also the first Christine in several years to stay in the role for so long. She'll have completed three contracts by the end of the next season. Too bad that Philip Griffiths still hasn't had his just reward (i.e. Andre principal), but I'm presuming he will be staying with the cast.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:11 am

Who were in the shows yesterday?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 am

I hadn't realised that Claire Doyle was leaving as well. Last night she was on as Christine for her final show as during the matinee Sofia Escobar was accidentally given Katy Treharne's wedding dress; she tripped on the hem, bending back her thumb (ouch) as she fell, which necessitated a trip to A&E.
charleygirl
charleygirl

http://www.charleygirl.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:29 am

Awww, I thought Claire was staying on, as well! For anyone who has paid attention to some of my posts here, you'll know how much I adored her acting in the role. Overly excetional interpretation. I am sure it must have been exciting for her to go out with such a bang! I tend to think a final lair where all parties are departing can be quite...SUBLIME! No disrespect to their emotions. Very Happy

This was indeed a big cast change. My memories of being at last years's (a year ago as of the 3rd) were stirred with all the reports from last night. The sense of company at Her Majesty's is very, very clear not only from their public statements via Twitter, but also via their performances.

Has anyone heard any reports on the trick matinee shenanigans?!

As usual, the London production has shaped up a very different new cast. Excited to see this new group of players. I think it is extraordinarily exciting that Lovett will play the role of the Phantom after a nearly 2-decade "hiatus." For anyone who may have seen him during his first year, I'm sure this will be very different. Plus, it's exciting for us to see someone from the pre-Internet age. There's so little footage (or quality footage) of the pre-2000 casts, whether that be from personal videos (as always, those are legal!) or official press reels from interviews, et cetera.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm going with a friend at the end of October, and I'm looking foward to seeing Marcus. Smile

Just been checking the new cast list, and there are a few other changes. Jo Loxton is now playing the Wardrobe Mistress (Ellen Jackson is nowhere to be found), and Louisa Lydell had taken over as Madame Firmin. I'm not sure if I'm right in thinking that the actress playing the Hannibal Princess is usually the Christine understudy, but that role is now taken by Ashleigh Flemming, who according to her bio is making her West End debut.
charleygirl
charleygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeah i've just been looking at the new cast list and was surprised to see Elllen Jackson has gone. And yes the Princess in Hannibal is always the Christine understudy in the London Production that's been the same since the show opened. I'm wondering who the new cover for Raoul is? Richard Munday is still in the cast so is it possible he is now 1st cover? or maybe he is still 2nd and one of the new guys is 1st. I'm thinking maybe Peter Dukes or Ben Morris? Oh and does anyone possibly now when Sofia's holiday dates are as i really want to see Anna and it's easier for me to get to a matinee than an evening show.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  charleygirl Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:32 pm

The only holiday she's mentioned so far is the first two weeks in December.
charleygirl
charleygirl

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Is the Princess not always a Christine understudy in every production? That's always been the case on Broadway and the other US productions as well.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:42 pm

London-Phan wrote:Yeah i've just been looking at the new cast list and was surprised to see Elllen Jackson has gone. And yes the Princess in Hannibal is always the Christine understudy in the London Production that's been the same since the show opened. I'm wondering who the new cover for Raoul is? Richard Munday is still in the cast so is it possible he is now 1st cover? or maybe he is still 2nd and one of the new guys is 1st. I'm thinking maybe Peter Dukes or Ben Morris?.

I think Antony Hansen could be a new cover Raoul. I saw him as Marius in Les Mis a few years ago, he was very good. I could see him as Raoul.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:21 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:As usual, the London production has shaped up a very different new cast. Excited to see this new group of players. I think it is extraordinarily exciting that Lovett will play the role of the Phantom after a nearly 2-decade "hiatus." For anyone who may have seen him during his first year, I'm sure this will be very different. Plus, it's exciting for us to see someone from the pre-Internet age. There's so little footage (or quality footage) of the pre-2000 casts, whether that be from personal videos (as always, those are legal!) or official press reels from interviews, et cetera.

Ive been going through such illegal things recently too, pluss listening to my Whistle down the Wind CD. I am eager to hear how his voice would have matured since his Phantom days. Although as an 'American' phantom, he did sound more 'rock', like the more recent London ones, and less Operatic, vibratto heavy, Broadway ones (which I usually prefer) but as with Scott, I hope his age will bring some experience to the role, unless that gets directed out of him.

Also looking forward to seeing his 'look' after all these years (new mask and all)
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Just to let you guys know Ellen will be back. Jo Loxton is staying on an extra 6 weeks to cover the role of the wardrobe mistress and then leaving.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:
MajesticPhantom wrote:As usual, the London production has shaped up a very different new cast. Excited to see this new group of players. I think it is extraordinarily exciting that Lovett will play the role of the Phantom after a nearly 2-decade "hiatus." For anyone who may have seen him during his first year, I'm sure this will be very different. Plus, it's exciting for us to see someone from the pre-Internet age. There's so little footage (or quality footage) of the pre-2000 casts, whether that be from personal videos (as always, those are legal!) or official press reels from interviews, et cetera.

Ive been going through such illegal things recently too, pluss listening to my Whistle down the Wind CD. I am eager to hear how his voice would have matured since his Phantom days. Although as an 'American' phantom, he did sound more 'rock', like the more recent London ones, and less Operatic, vibratto heavy, Broadway ones (which I usually prefer) but as with Scott, I hope his age will bring some experience to the role, unless that gets directed out of him.

Also looking forward to seeing his 'look' after all these years (new mask and all)

Although he does have a rock sound to his voice in Whistle and when he sang Superstar on the ALW birthday concert, I have heard him as Phantom and don't think he sounded rock at all and I thought he sounded quite vibratto heavy, he had a very good phantom voice. I'm sure his voice has changed since then though. But then I never got the whole Ramin being a rock/pop sounding phantom.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:50 pm

London-Phan wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:

Although he does have a rock sound to his voice in Whistle and when he sang Superstar on the ALW birthday concert, I have heard him as Phantom and don't think he sounded rock at all and I thought he sounded quite vibratto heavy, he had a very good phantom voice. I'm sure his voice has changed since then though. But then I never got the whole Ramin being a rock/pop sounding phantom.
You kidding?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm not musically trained in the slightest, but for me, what makes a Phantom sound more 'rock' is how he sings the second verse of the title song. I also use this verse as a guage (for me) how vocally compitent a Phantom is (IMO). I know there is nothing written in stone that the Phantom should be operatic, I just think he sounds better with a little warble in his voice, also alot of power in this verse. Phantoms (alot from London, principal and U/S) when you listen to them hit this verse online, yes they hit the notes, but it just sounds so 'dry' I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. It's like with Christine too, I've never really paid her much attention, but so many Christines in London I have found just sound like women who can sing high, and not pass convincingly as an opera star. But I would also be first to admit that accross the sea the Christines in the US do have the tendency to warble way too much to the point that it is distracting and can be a pain to listen to. So I am really eager to catch clips of Anna in the role.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:01 pm

It's belting, plain and simple.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:06 pm

A good example of that second verse is Davis Gaines (Swanky would know what I mean) his second verse just makes me go all wobbly in the knees.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:07 pm

I was just exposing my gf to Gaines' take on the role the other night. I have a man crush on his voice. So masterful. Guess there's a reason I've had him as my avatar for 3 years.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:34 pm

no i'm not kidding. To me Ramin's voice isn't a rock voice at all, nor to i think he sounded poppy as the phantom. And Marcus does have a rock sound to his voice in Whistle but i don't think he sounds Rocky as the phantom. I understand what you say about Ramin belting but that to me doesn't mean he has a rock voice.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Belting is typically associated with pop and rock music and with light Broadway fare.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Helen wrote:
London-Phan wrote:Yeah i've just been looking at the new cast list and was surprised to see Elllen Jackson has gone. And yes the Princess in Hannibal is always the Christine understudy in the London Production that's been the same since the show opened. I'm wondering who the new cover for Raoul is? Richard Munday is still in the cast so is it possible he is now 1st cover? or maybe he is still 2nd and one of the new guys is 1st. I'm thinking maybe Peter Dukes or Ben Morris?.

I think Antony Hansen could be a new cover Raoul. I saw him as Marius in Les Mis a few years ago, he was very good. I could see him as Raoul.

He is a new cover Raoul, I believe he is 2nd cover and Richard has been bumped up to 1st but don't quote me on that Wink Just in case anyone missed it Ellen will be back in 6 weeks Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm

London-Phan wrote:no i'm not kidding. To me Ramin's voice isn't a rock voice at all, nor to i think he sounded poppy as the phantom. And Marcus does have a rock sound to his voice in Whistle but i don't think he sounds Rocky as the phantom. I understand what you say about Ramin belting but that to me doesn't mean he has a rock voice.

I think Ramin's voice is fairly pop-rocky. I really don't think it sits well with the Phantom's role. It got more convincing over time, but certainly at the start, it sounded odd, and no wonder, because he told me himself that in reality he was just 'faking it'. I find little nuance in his singing either, it's all one big 'belt'-fest.

Nice to see it's not just me who uses the second verse of the title song as a gauge. That verse can make or break a Phantom for me.

Last edited by Scorp on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next