Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 33 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  London-Phan Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 pm

I saw that Marcus said he was away from the 29th for a week. But I think the best thing might be to ring the stage door and ask there, if they don't know then they will probably be able to tell you where you can find out. The stage door guy at HMT is very nice and helpful.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  ctas Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:12 pm

thank you for your reply! I will give it a go Smile I'm looking forward to exploring this forum more, lots of interesting bits about the history of the production! thank you again!

ctas

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

ctas wrote:thank you for your reply! I will give it a go Smile I'm looking forward to exploring this forum more, lots of interesting bits about the history of the production! thank you again!

You're welcome Smile Can you remember who the Phantom was that you were disappointed with? Am I right in thinking it would have been Matt Cammelle or Rohan Tickell? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the performance.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  ctas Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:27 pm

sadly I can't remember! I was 15 at the time, January 2005 (I think!) and I think we were mostly disappointed over the lack of John Owen-Jones and whoever was the Christine at the time was also off! (Rachel Barrell - judging by the cast lists on here? I really need to dig out the programme!) My memories are pretty vague and sadly I didn't even return to see it until this June, something that I really regret! I've since gone about four times though, haha. Better late than never though!

ctas

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 pm

ctas wrote:sadly I can't remember! I was 15 at the time, January 2005 (I think!) and I think we were mostly disappointed over the lack of John Owen-Jones and whoever was the Christine at the time was also off! (Rachel Barrell - judging by the cast lists on here? I really need to dig out the programme!) My memories are pretty vague and sadly I didn't even return to see it until this June, something that I really regret! I've since gone about four times though, haha. Better late than never though!

I saw the show in early Jan 2005 as well and Matt Cammelle (standby phantom) and Celia Graham(alternate Christine) were both on so it's possible you went at roughly the same time I did?

Actually thinking about it was Jan 2006 that I saw Matt Cammelle and Celia Graham. I did see the show in Jan '05 but it was JOJ
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 am

ctas wrote:hi there! I'm new here, hoping that this is the right place to put my question! after many years of being a sortof Phantom fan (and seeing one huge disappointment of a performance at her maj's where we got John Owen-Jones's understudy and alt Christine back in 2004/2005 ish) I recently went back and saw the incredible Scott Davies in the role while Peter Jöback was away last June. And that has started a whole new wave of being a fan! I've heard that Marcus Lovett is on holiday again soon but I'm finding conflicting dates online; Marcus himself tweeted the week commencing 28/10 but the official site says early November. I quite enjoy Marcus in the role but am absolutely dying to see Scott Davies again, so my question is: does anyone know the correct holiday dates? Or how I could find them out? I know that some actors (from other shows) are quite approachable on twitter about holiday dates but I'd be afraid to be that annoying person and ask Mr Lovett! I really hope that I can make it to see Scott Davies perform again!

Welcome! I´ve the same problem! I want to see Scott Davies again but he´s not on when I am in London.
I can hope that I´ve a chance soon again.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:00 pm

I like that MOTN pose from the new photos. Colors are weird in all the photos--same garish, Photoshopped oversaturation we've been seeing in the US photos for awhile. But nice physicality from Lovett.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  purplehaze93 Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:24 am

I always thought Lovett was one of the best looking Phantom's on Broadway, the way he fit in the mask and costume...etc, but he looks like a totally different Phantom now, and I'm diggin it.

Thought i'de share this performance of Peter Joback, it's just a video of his singing Music of the Night at what seems to be a Swedish concert of sorts...regardless, pretty impressive, some weak notes but nothing that he couldn't have really grown into.
Peter Jöback - Music of the Night - "Moraeus med Mera" 2012
purplehaze93
purplehaze93

Back to top Go down

Post  zcfthf8 Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 pm

So, what's the consensus on Marcus so far?

I remain undecided to be honest?

Vocally, he struggles in my opinion, especially with the big notes, which is a shame as I enjoy his acting.

I also love the way he has embraced the role - he seems to be loving playing the Phantom and is honoured to do so.

His voice seems to have become less strong since he played the role in '93, which is understandable I suppose.

I guess that I just have an expectation to hear the best of the best, vocally, when it comes to Phantom?

I've seen Marcus 3 times now though and as I mentioned, I enjoy his acting so don't leave HM's disappointed.

What are the views of those who have seen/ heard him?

zcfthf8

Back to top Go down

Post  purplehaze93 Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:31 am

From what i've "heard", you're pretty much right on the ball. He's really dives into the roll, which is great, but for me that doesn't completely make up for his weaker vocals. I've "heard" his Phantom from his Broadway run, and he sounds like he has matured, and understands the roll a HECK of a lot more now.

All in all, I'm pretty that most will agree he definitely is doing a great job as Phantom.
purplehaze93
purplehaze93

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Has anyone perused the new programme? Can't wait to see more of the already great shots!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:Has anyone perused the new programme? Can't wait to see more of the already great shots!

I´ve wait since today!!! I make scans at home!!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Awesome! Smile
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  purplehaze93 Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:48 am

I have a feeling you guys might have already talked about this, or maybe its just common knowledge for some Phans...but can someone tell me why some Phantom's do their "soar" standing behind Christine, like John Owen Jones, or Earl, and why some Phantom's don't, they go to the organ, like Hugh or Howard. At first I thought it was due to location, like West End vs Broadway, but than I noticed Scott Davies goes back to the organ. So is it a choice on behalf of the actor? Either way I much prefer when he stands behind Christine, such a beautiful moment.
purplehaze93
purplehaze93

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:05 am

The original blocking has the Phantom returning to the organ for that line, so most Phantoms do it that way. I honestly hadn't seen a Phantom do that line so close to Christine until JOJ. But he may not have been the originator of that.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  purplehaze93 Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:19 am

SenorSwanky wrote:The original blocking has the Phantom returning to the organ for that line, so most Phantoms do it that way. I honestly hadn't seen a Phantom do that line so close to Christine until JOJ. But he may not have been the originator of that.
Do you know of any american's that have done this blocking? Or is it only those couple West End phantoms? And I meant to mention this, but I absolutely love the way Earl does his "turn your face away..." movements. He touches her face so gently, and with such delicacy, much nicer than some phantoms who shove their hands in Christine's face.
purplehaze93
purplehaze93

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 am

Not off the top of my head, but then again, I haven't seen how a lot of Phantoms do that line.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:50 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:The original blocking has the Phantom returning to the organ for that line, so most Phantoms do it that way. I honestly hadn't seen a Phantom do that line so close to Christine until JOJ. But he may not have been the originator of that.

I was just thinking about this recently--that cross to the organ on the first B-section is kind of odd. He crosses to the organ, sings the money note, then advances on Christine again--why did he go over there in the first place? Staying behind her seems more natural to me.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:

I was just thinking about this recently--that cross to the organ on the first B-section is kind of odd. He crosses to the organ, sings the money note, then advances on Christine again--why did he go over there in the first place? Staying behind her seems more natural to me.

~LCD
Yeah, I've always preferred that too.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm

I saw the show yesterday, and I've got to say sadly I was quite disappointed with Marcus. Voice wise he does sound pretty good most of the time although some of the notes sound really forced and sometimes his vibrato is quite strange, It sounds almost like a car engine struggling to start. Acting wise he seemed very wooden and didn't seem to move a lot, he didn't really do anything special acting wise. It was a shame as I was hoping he would be brilliant, because I saw him in whistle down the wind and he was great in that. Sofia was Christine and even though she is good she has been on the last 6 times I've seen the show and would like to see someone else now, although she didn't seem as good yesterday as I had seen her previously. Simon Thomas as Raoul was excellent, I was very impressed with him he did a great job. Understudies were on for Carlotta, Andre They were ok but nothing special, Layla Harrison was on for Meg and she was brilliant, ive seen her before, it would be cool if she took over as Meg full time. Another cool thing I noticed is that Tim Morgan is back in the company as a swing, he must have joined when Sweeney closed.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm going to London on January 25th. Seeing Phantom on Saturday (matinée) with Scorp, which I'm highly looking forward to. I think there are interesting things going on, cast wise, in the West End production right now, and I'm glad to see their line of very fine Raouls continues.

If anyone want the new souvenir brochure and has PayPal, feel free to message me and I'll pick up one for you.

operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:41 pm

^ I may take you up on that offer! I am curious however if it is still possible to get one feat. Peter Joback? Or how I would go about tracking one down.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:^ I may take you up on that offer! I am curious however if it is still possible to get one feat. Peter Joback? Or how I would go about tracking one down.

I think the best bet for the Peter Jöback brochure would be to contact Dewynters as It always says that additional copies are available from the publisher in the back of the brochures and i would think they will still have some copies of that one left.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am

I see Scott Davies has been on a bit lately. But I should still expect to see Marcus Lovett this weekend, right?

Also, IAnna O'Byrne is on Friday, and Sofia Escobar does both Saturday shows?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Marcus was on holiday, and he rarely calls out ill from a show.

Anna performs Mondays and Fridays... her pre-scheduled dates are:Remaining JAN DATES: 18th, 21st, 25th, 28th. FEB DATES: 1st, 4th, 8th, 11th. MARCH DATES: 1st, 4th, 8th, 11th, 15th, 18th, 22nd, 25th, 29th. (from her Twitter).

To be honest, Sofia seems to call out a lot, so you never know. Anna seems solid (she did an 8-show week in the autumn, actually... I think in October).

I saw this production last month (Lovett/O'Byrne/Thomas). (Don't read if you don't want to know about their interpretations).

Let me put it this way.... the work here is astounding. I sat very close, and the amount of inner life was astounding. Anna and Marcus have both developed the most three-dimensional interpretations of these roles. Dare I say it, but they are BOTH nodding to Leroux's original novel in my eyes.

I literally could not take my eyes off Anna any time she was on stage. There were so many moments I caught anew here (my umpteenth time seeing it). She, as an actress, has an opinion about every single moment on stage, and reacts with a full depth and activity. Her voice is solid, but I suspect the Think of Me cadenza is sitting in an odd spot in her voice (she did the staccato Brightman version), but everything else soared. And the Leroux element? The "Who was that man?" solo the "morning after" was filled with distrust, demonstrative frustration, and slight fear, not generalized smiles (much like the distrust and anger in the book in the initial unmasking). Basically, she acts and sings this role to pieces, fully fleshed out (meaning she can be bratty, rude, rash, demanding, confused, hurt, empathetic), fully present. Seeing a Christine trying desperately to keep her composure during the "Angel in Hell Phantom Break down" was heartbreaking.

Marcus Lovett is the first Phantom I've seen to truly echo the Leroux. His thorough work shows. He has a specific physicality, and looks absolutely grotesque from start to finish. He is frightening, sexy but unsexy, cruel and villainous yet sympathetic. He truly plays a selfish, cruel figure, and his energy seems to leap from side to side of the stage as if he might strangle any one (on or offstage) at any moment. It's rare that I am truly scared during the "Red Death" sequence. Because he creates such a terrifying figure, Anna's seeming hatred and very clear rejection of him at the end makes clear sense, as does her empathy toward his self realization at the end.

Truly and astounding pair, in my humble opinion.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:22 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:I saw this production last month (Lovett/O'Byrne/Thomas). (Don't read if you don't want to know about their interpretations).

Let me put it this way.... the work here is astounding. I sat very close, and the amount of inner life was astounding. Anna and Marcus have both developed the most three-dimensional interpretations of these roles. Dare I say it, but they are BOTH nodding to Leroux's original novel in my eyes.

(...)

Truly and astounding pair, in my humble opinion.
Very interesting to read. I have not been able to make up my mind about Anna O'Byrne through stuff I've heard and read, so I highly look forward to see her live. And this is quite a testament from you!

I have seen a couple of Leroux-esque Phantoms - Anthony Crivello and Flemming Enevold comes to mind - and I've always favoured that. I've heard mixed things about Lovett, voice wise, but I'll judge for myself this weekend.

I hope I'm able to catch Sofia Escobar, if only because I've followed her career from her understudy days and because she's been Christine in West End for longer than your average actress. Most seem neutral to her, which also makes me curious.

I'm also incredibly intrigued by the new Raoul. If Simon Thomas is only half as good as I think he is, it looks like he continues the fine line of strong Raouls West End has had lately.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Celebrating the Broadway anniversary by seeing the good old London production with operafantomet this afternoon. Excited!
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Sounds like a great plan! Hope the show was enjoyable today.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am

zcfthf8 wrote:So, what's the consensus on Marcus so far?

I remain undecided to be honest?

Vocally, he struggles in my opinion, especially with the big notes, which is a shame as I enjoy his acting.

I also love the way he has embraced the role - he seems to be loving playing the Phantom and is honoured to do so.

His voice seems to have become less strong since he played the role in '93, which is understandable I suppose.

I guess that I just have an expectation to hear the best of the best, vocally, when it comes to Phantom?

I've seen Marcus 3 times now though and as I mentioned, I enjoy his acting so don't leave HM's disappointed.

What are the views of those who have seen/ heard him?
I saw him twice last week, and I understand your "undecidedness".

I've always said the Phantom should be vocally awesome, and Marcus Lovett is struggling quite a few places. His Mirror is uneven and harsh, and he has an... unbeautiful approach to the songs. His singing is inconsistent and everything but smooth. And yet... and yet he has rather lovely singing moments. His Music of the Night is sung with an emphasis on every word, and with the necessary money notes in place. His Point of No Return is quite awesome, slow, deliberate, operatic. So his singing is inconsistent.

As for his acting, I simply loved him. LOVED him. I want to mention every little detail but it's just too hard. What I CAN say, however, is that the man knows his Leroux. There are so many moments that made me think of poor Erik, in his approach to Christine, in his manners, in his style, in his despair. I just had to ask Lovett about it afterwards, and he pulled up his iPhone and showed me how he's highlighted the whole goddamn book on Kindle, to get his interpretation right. It's like how David Suchet did the same for his interpretation of Hercule Poirot, resulting in a fantastically detailed portrayal reflecting the source material, but in a subtle way.

All in all, Marcus Lovett was a very positive surprise, and one I would love to see several times to get the full nuances of. I won't try to convert those who think he is weak because of the vocal stuff, but in my personal opinion it's one of the most intriguing Phantoms West End has had since... Earl Carpenter, probably. Or Scott Davies. To me it really worked, but if a magic voice is no.1 for you he might not be it.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:33 am

Scorp wrote:Celebrating the Broadway anniversary by seeing the good old London production with operafantomet this afternoon. Excited!
For some reason I read that "seeing the London production with good old operafantomet". Hahaha! 't was great seeing you again, and I have silly photos coming your way...

In general I found the current West End production very intriguing. Fresh stuff going on in the leads, and an incredibly solid ensemble, sounding unison and adding so many small but important details throughout. The ballet dancers in particular, for some reason. The leads all lack ooomph in their singing, which is why I have not been impressed/convinced in sound clips. It just doesn't convey the great acting. But seeing it live was lovely.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 34 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next