Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2004 movie (ALW version)

+47
Sapphire
AlwaysChristine
Story Teller
charleygirl
Morleigh
Blaidd_Drwg
PhantomsGhost
Devon
Viscountess
phanphan4ever
Helen
RoseOfTransylvania
Klavirista
Mme Reyer
SenorSwanky
Miss von Krolock
mauerite#5
LisaL
MasqPhan
starryeyed
ML6
PhantomAngel777
Alyssa
Deathshead1
Raphael
kat097
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
lili
Madame Giry
Elisabetta611
phantom10906
phantomgirl110
phantomphan1992
Becky
EarlFan
Paula74
Scorp
Enjolras
IamErik771
Amyable_Nature
Riene
Callie Daae
HDKingsbury
TGITPC
operafantomet
Phantomlove
Admin
51 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Empty Re: The 2004 movie (ALW version)

Post  operafantomet Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:39 am

Callie Daae wrote:https://2img.net/h/i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/LittleLotte15/Hannibal-alws-phanto.jpg

I was thinking about this costume and I thought wouldn't this be considered risque for the 1800s???? I coundn't see girls back then wearing this in an opera. I would think back then people would have considered the costume indecent exposure or something like that.

Re: that. Well, female stage workers, be it dancers or singers, in most of the 19th century weren't respected (with some exceptions, of course). They were seen as easy-going, with low moral standards (which is pretty much reflected in the type of roles available until the late 19th century - most were seducers, harlots, evil women or allegoric or supernatural creatures, few were "normal" women of a moral standard).

It's true, though, that the AUDIENCE wouldn't accept any behaviour and costume. But I think it largely depended on the role. It it were to be an oriental figure or an allegory, it was almost expected that they would dress in a way that very much separated from the "Victorian" way of dressing. I have seen drawings by Degas showing what looks like bare ankles and bare stomachs in dancer costumes - but as Josefine pointed out back then, the flesh might have been covered by some semi-transparent fabric.

Anyway, to get to the point..... erm, picture...

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl2The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl1

I've forgotten all references for that painting, sorry! It's French, from the mid 19th century, depicting.... Delilah? I think it served as inspiration for the movie slavegirl costume.

Last edited by operafantomet on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos...)
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:02 am

Other possible movie costume inspirations:

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_movielissa1The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_movielissa2
Empress Sissi (Elisabeth) and the "Think of Me" gala dress

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviemasque1The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviemasque2
Disney's Belle (Beauty and the Beast) and Christine's "Rose" Masquerade dress

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_movienappe1The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_movienappe2
Emperor (or here consul) Napoleon Bonaparte and Red Death

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviedjt1The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviedj2
Disney's Esmeralda from "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and the "Point of No Return" costume
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:06 am

Phantomlove wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
EarlFan wrote:
operafantomet wrote:Gerard Butler was in Oslo yesterday, to promote his newest movie. I missed him. Oh no.

Oh no, hope it didn't make you to sad that you missed him.
I'll survive.... somehow... sunny

How is that even possible? I admire you...

Still not over it... But getting there...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Wasn't going to share this but what the h€ll...

So last night I had a terrifying nightmare whereby, just because of a negative comment I made on the Internet concerning this film, a fan girl took it far too much to heart and, while I was away somewhere, flew all the way here, broke into my house, vandalised all my Phantom things and wrote messages on the wall saying something about how I should be sorry for what I wrote and how nothing can ever beat the 2004 film version. Then I think I managed to find her phone number and called her and said that I'd see her in court, and then I don't know what happened next, lol. But seriously, it was devastating to have all my precious Phantom things ruined! affraid

Maybe the dream's a warning...in which case, did I ever say how much I just LOVE this film? Razz
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Scorp wrote:Maybe the dream's a warning...in which case, did I ever say how much I just LOVE this film? Razz
Now you're giving ME nightmares... Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:38 am

I have to say, it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only one here who literally has nightmares related to this film. I had one a couple of years ago in which I was at a movie phan convention (I have no idea why), and Gerry and Emmy were there. While they were being fawned over by preteen phangirls, I started making derogatory remarks to my parents off to the side. Emmy overhead me and confronted me, and the two of us ended up in a screaming match. ("I SANG OPERA WHEN I WAS SEVEN!!" "OH YEAH, SO WHY DO YOU SUCK SO MUCH??") Suddenly, in the middle of this argument, Emmy screamed angrily that she really loved my sweater, and I (still screaming) thanked her and offered to make one for her. I returned later that day with a sweater I'd made for her, but when I arrived at her dressing room she shouted that she didn't want to see anyone who didn't think she was a good Christine, so I shoved the sweater under the door and stormed off.

Suspect
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:50 am

phantomgirl110 wrote:I have to say, it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only one here who literally has nightmares related to this film. I had one a couple of years ago in which I was at a movie phan convention (I have no idea why), and Gerry and Emmy were there. While they were being fawned over by preteen phangirls, I started making derogatory remarks to my parents off to the side. Emmy overhead me and confronted me, and the two of us ended up in a screaming match. ("I SANG OPERA WHEN I WAS SEVEN!!" "OH YEAH, SO WHY DO YOU SUCK SO MUCH??") Suddenly, in the middle of this argument, Emmy screamed angrily that she really loved my sweater, and I (still screaming) thanked her and offered to make one for her. I returned later that day with a sweater I'd made for her, but when I arrived at her dressing room she shouted that she didn't want to see anyone who didn't think she was a good Christine, so I shoved the sweater under the door and stormed off.

Suspect

Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm sorry, but thats a riot.

There are times when I am watching the stage show. Take for instance fans week. I'm sitting there thinking that POTO would make a good movie. Then i remember this monstrosity. I still think that even with a different director it could have been much MUCH better.
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:17 pm

phantomgirl110 wrote:I have to say, it's oddly comforting to know that I'm not the only one here who literally has nightmares related to this film. I had one a couple of years ago in which I was at a movie phan convention (I have no idea why), and Gerry and Emmy were there. While they were being fawned over by preteen phangirls, I started making derogatory remarks to my parents off to the side. Emmy overhead me and confronted me, and the two of us ended up in a screaming match. ("I SANG OPERA WHEN I WAS SEVEN!!" "OH YEAH, SO WHY DO YOU SUCK SO MUCH??") Suddenly, in the middle of this argument, Emmy screamed angrily that she really loved my sweater, and I (still screaming) thanked her and offered to make one for her. I returned later that day with a sweater I'd made for her, but when I arrived at her dressing room she shouted that she didn't want to see anyone who didn't think she was a good Christine, so I shoved the sweater under the door and stormed off.

Suspect

lol That's so funny. She and the whole cast were so wrong for the parts. A different director would have been so much better. Did anyone else hear that Joel made sure Gerard (which I'm not a fan of at all) had his butt padded because it was his vision for the Phantom? lol
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisabetta611 Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:56 pm

[quote="operafantomet"]
Callie Daae wrote:

Anyway, to get to the point..... erm, picture...

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl2The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl1

I've forgotten all references for that painting, sorry! It's French, from the mid 19th century, depicting.... Delilah? I think it served as inspiration for the movie slavegirl costume.

Not Delilah, Cleopatra. Being a Cleo-Phile, I'd recognize that thing anywhere. The whole painting is supposed to be her after being rolled out of the carpet by Caesar.

Seems to be rather perilous to like that film these days. (Paula, may I convince ya now to sell me Gerry's cloak from the film, if you still have it? Very Happy Just kidding!!)

Having been out of the Phantom loop due to much of the hostility created by the reception of the film and sequel, I haven't watched the movie, nor the stage show in quite a while. Neither holds up very well under close scrutiny as the original story is weak and implausible to begin with. They are guilty pleasures to me, though hardly great art. The film is wonderful for a cold evening by the fire with popcorn & coke. A nice tearjerker. The show has lost much of its appeal to me too, please don't stone me. Supposed new prima donnas being sung by mediocre belt sopranos or mezzos (I.E. Barrell & Knight Adams) who sing through their noses do not convince me all that much, esp. when they are overpowered by a simple cadenza. I still love the old stuff. Peter Karrie, Ian Jon Bourg (Ok, he's rather current), Lisa Vroman, Rebecca Caine... But when even a pre-recorded (!) Vocalise sounds like someone is stepping on a cat's tail, well, that's just too bad. (And that goes for Miss Rossum as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKm-sGFAEfU

This is how that title vocalise should always sound. (Ignore the aging tenor partnering her and her Slavic accent, if they bother you, listen to her singing) And this is LIVE, not pre-recorded. Ever since hearing her, pretty much all stage Christines and Emmy have lost their sparkle to my ears.

As for daring costumes in the 19th century... Sybil Sanderson, muse to Massenet, exposed one of her breasts when playing Thais. So no biggie in the film.

And whatever discontent I felt toward Schumacher re: the changes in the film fell away after seeing (again) what Michael Crawford has done to "Tanz der Vampire". If there is anyone or anything I cannot stand to watch even clips from, is Crawford in DOTV and, thanks to that debacle, POTO. You thought the POTO Film was bad? See any genital shaped sponges in that? No? Well, Crawford put one in DOTV. Just imagine if Joel had done that! Twisted Evil
Elisabetta611
Elisabetta611

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Elisabetta611 wrote:
operafantomet wrote:The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl2The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl1

Not Delilah, Cleopatra. Being a Cleo-Phile, I'd recognize that thing anywhere. The whole painting is supposed to be her after being rolled out of the carpet by Caesar.
Thank you! Do you remember who painted it?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Elisabetta611 Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:18 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Elisabetta611 wrote:
operafantomet wrote:The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl2The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Th_moviehnbl1

Thank you! Do you remember who painted it?

If my memory hasn't been snowed in as well, the artist who did it was Jean-Léon Gérôme. sunny

The full painting:

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Cleopatra_and_Caesar_by_Jean-Leon-Gerome
Elisabetta611
Elisabetta611

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Brilliant, thank you!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:33 pm

One of the costumes from the 2004 film's Hannibal scene is up for grabs on eBay for what I suppose would be a reasonable price, if I was at all interested in owning a movie costume, lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-Carlottas-maid-costume-Hannibal_W0QQitemZ330392076301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cece7000d

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Madame Giry wrote:One of the costumes from the 2004 film's Hannibal scene is up for grabs on eBay for what I suppose would be a reasonable price, if I was at all interested in owning a movie costume, lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA-Carlottas-maid-costume-Hannibal_W0QQitemZ330392076301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cece7000d

Still, isn't that price a LOT higher than what the costume was originally sold for?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't know - I seem to remember the more ornate costumes originally selling on eBay for thousands of dollars, and into the $5,000+ range when you got into the lead role costumes. Don't have records of the actual prices saved though.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  lili Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:21 pm

gerry izzz ssososososoo HAUWT! affraid
why do u guys hzzt him?

confused

lili

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm

lili wrote:gerry izzz ssososososoo HAUWT! affraid
why do u guys hzzt him?

confused

*pokes the troll with her cane*

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm

*poke*poke*poke*

The 2004 movie (ALW version) - Page 2 Kittelsenskogstrollet
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LiQuiD DiAmOnD Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm

i watched part of the movie again recently. i was never in the "hate" camp of the movie, but watching it again - i just found it to be a bit boring and i shut it off during all i ask of you. i didn't think it was awful though. and i plan on finishing it.

there were things that i still loved about it - such as the opening sequence with the "theater" being restored into color, the transition in Think of Me, and how fabulous the Notes/Prima Donna/il muto/murder sequence is. and of course, i still kind of love the way gerry moves during "motn" - very sleek and seductive ( yeah, his voice is grating-though i never found it to be as horrible as others thought). omg- the cape twirl after the boat ride - i totally forgot about that till i saw it again Laughing

the things i hate that haven't changed - the AOM sequence with all the fog and emmy's deer in headlight looks. i also hate the horse in POTO and just the overall cheesiness of the entire POTO sequence.

i will finish it and give a part II of my review. ha!

LiQuiD DiAmOnD

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:14 am

Looking forward to part 2. I've often played with the thought of seeing it again, but then I remember the negative stuff you point out (plus the fact that I have big issues with THAT singer and Gerard Butler in the leads), and I just don't feel like it. "Love Never Dies" has ruined my Phantom mood more than enough... Neutral
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  kat097 Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:10 pm

I still love the movie Smile It was my first glimpse of the phantom world! Yes, the movie has it's problems (although i like to think that they pale in light of the LND travesty), but it's so pretty and shiny. I like Emmy's voice, despite it's flaws, I love Raoul and it will always be my first phantom.

However... having seen Ramin in London... yeah, the movie does not compare to the live show in any way.
kat097
kat097

http://www.fanfiction.net/~Kat097

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 pm

kat097 wrote:although i like to think that they pale in light of the LND travesty
That's very true. Now that I think about it, the movie is pretty great, isn't it?

Okay, no, it's not, but it's definitely better than LND.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:02 pm

A couple of excerpts from Anne Meyer's "Phantom Project" review of the movie:

But the single most painful, awful thing that doesn't work begins here, and we're never going to escape it: the soundtrack. I share the managers' confusion when Madame Giry insists that Christine could sing Carlotta's role (after all, she's not even a soloist in this version - she's a ballet dancer, who presumably doesn't even sing much), but once she started singing, they lost me, because were I a manager I would have smiled politely and said in the nicest terms I could come up with that thank you, but no thank you. Rossum has a very pretty voice, but it is obviously both immature and not fully trained, and the effect is pretty tooth-grating. Her issues run the full gamut: tone production is spotty, evenness and breath support wander in and out with painful inconsistency, power simply isn't there, and she has serious intonation issues, usually tending to go sharp (sometimes very sharp). Yikes. The voice is certainly appropriate for a young girl; I'd be vastly surprised if most young girls didn't sound like that, because their voices won't be physically mature for some time and singing is hard work and difficult to learn, but for a character whose voice is supposed to be effortlessly beautiful and a replacement for a big-name star to boot, it is completely unacceptable. The poor girl would have been laughed off the stage with issues like that, assuming that the managers were desperate and tone-deaf enough to let her onto it in a leading operatic role in the first place. She clearly doesn't have the singing stamina to take on a 3+-act opera, either, even if she could have faked it for a little while; Rossum's voice audibly tires near the end of most of her numbers. Suspension of disbelief is one thing, and I can handle a lot of cultural silliness and caricaturing and dramatic hyperbole, but in a story that hinges so centrally on opera and on the sublime performances of its main characters, having a less-than-stellar singer take on the role is an instant killer. Rossum's performances in this film wouldn't be up to snuff for most professional theatre of any kind, let alone grand opera, and there is absolutely no way to stack her up against Preece's soprano without making her sound very tiny, very tinny, and very inadequate.

But these sillinesses aside, it's time for the Phantom's grand entrance, and for the grand exit of the remainder of my hopes for this film. If Rossum is difficult to listen to, Butler is downright terrible; if Rossum is unable to sing her part, Butler puts his through a meat grinder and then stomps on it. I have no idea if he actually has a pleasant voice or not (I hear he sings pop music a bit in the later film P.S. I Love You, but I haven't seen it) because of the horrible things he's doing to it just to try to sing a score that he clearly doesn't have the ability for. Unlike Wilson, who has performed professionally, or Rossum, who is young and undeveloped but who has had some vocal training, Butler has no musical background and he is frankly painful to listen to. He has no tone, his breath support is atrocious, his intonation is all over the map, and even his pronunciation suffers, as though the effort of trying to get the notes out warps the words as well ("I am your Eengel of Music!"). I want to find whoever was pretending to be his vocal coach for this film and slap them, because just listening to him makes my throat ache, and I can't imagine it was a lot more fun for him. Like Rossum, he doesn't have the range or the power to sing his part (in fact, he's pretty easily identifiable as a baritone, an issue when he's singing a tenor part that, while occasionally played by very versatile baritones, is definitely no picnic), and the result is even more painful, especially since half the time he sounds like he has a head cold (I have no idea what is causing him to sing in his nose like that, but the effect is miserable). Christine being a poor singer hurts the film badly; she doesn't make a positive contrast with Carlotta and it's difficult to imagine all the furor over her as a performer, but that pales in comparison to the Phantom being a poor singer. For the Angel of Music to be anything less than sublime irreparably damages the character, axing the symbolism of his transcendent voice, removing any credibility in its hypnotic power, and totally destroying its oft-vaunted, haunting beauty. Butler, who despite being shoehorned into a role that wants him to do a lot of things he isn't good at and ignore the things he is still manages to pull off a few genuinely emotive and compelling scenes, is simply not a singer - or, if he is a singer in other genres, he is totally and unequivocally not a singer of opera or even musical theatre. Again, my agonized cry goes out: why, oh why, Schumacher, did you not dub him with someone who could sing the role? By all means, let Butler run around and be manful in the role, if that's what you're shooting for, but why wouldn't you want the Angel of Music to sound like he could actually sing? It's just beyond my scope of understanding.

And I really don't want to think about the fact that this has been mixed and prepared for soundtrack before I ever heard it, either. If Rossum and Butler sound this inadequate for their roles after the recording has been tweaked, they were either catastrophic to begin with or everyone who worked on sound mixing for this film needs to be fired. I really dislike the modern convention of auto-tuning the hell out of bad singing voices to make them sound better (Glee, I'm looking at you), but I like it better than just letting them be bad. I like pretty much anything better than that.
http://phantomproject.pbworks.com/The-Phantom-of-the-Opera%2C-directed-by-Joel-Schumacher-%282004%29

Laughing

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LiQuiD DiAmOnD Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:15 pm

PART II of my review

so, i finally finished the movie, starting where i left off during why have you brought me here/all i ask of you. my first reaction during this part is how much i can't stand emmy's facial expres​sion(or lack thereof). actually it's a huge problem during most the movie. but it seemed extra annoying during this part. anyways, patrick REALLY shines during this. i forgot how great he is in this movie. and i loved the little glimpses of the phantom behind the statue - as well as the part when he picks up the rose and is crying. awwww.

next - masquerade was a scene that i still enjoy and is one of my favorites, even with the lack of colors. i HATE when raoul/christine "speak" their parts though. i love when the phantom appears at the top of the stairs, and how they put in part of his ''notes'' during this scene. i forgot about that. i liked the trap door/mirror scene a lot too -something else i completely forgot about.

since it's been so long since i've been the movie - i didn't remember the phantom's backstory. for some reason, this scene like really creeped me out and i found it really disturbing. i dunno why i had such a strong reaction to it. i dont' hate that it was added though.

WYWSHA - wow, more vacant, annoying facial expressions by emmy. which is a shame, because i think it's my favorite performance of hers, vocally at least. omg, the swordfight - i, for some reason, thought the phantom won it. i was very wrong.

PONR is def gerry and emmy at their best. i can forgive the "new" set design, but not the lame back up dancers though. while rewatching this movie, i thought to myself "WHY did i like Gerry so much in this years ago?" then the part where he sings "say you'll share with me..." at the end of ponr moved me to tears. ahh yes, that was why!

i actually liked gerry a lot during the down once more through the end of the movie. his voice is def cringe-worthy at parts, but i thought he gave a heart-felt performance at least. and i like the smashing of the mirrors too.

some other observations - i really like the black & white flashbacks with raoul throughout the movie. and i really love the ending with the flower & ring on the gravestone.

oh yeah, and I HATE HATE HATE the phantom "deformity". it is so ridiculous - one of the worst things about the movie (in my view at least).

so yeah, i enjoyed part II more than part I. i'm happy i rewatched the movie - i just don't plan on doing it again any time soon.

oh, and i have not seen/heard anything from love never dies, so i can't comment on it. cyclops

LiQuiD DiAmOnD

Back to top Go down

Post  LiQuiD DiAmOnD Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 pm

just a question - is phantomphans.net archived at ALL? (i think that was the web address?) i'd love to see some of the very first reactions to the movie/soundtrack. i'm sure reading my posts now will make me die of embarrassment, but something i'd still like to "re-live" in a sense. i think when i first heard the soundtrack, i posted how i wanted to throw my computer out the window. then i turned into an obsessive gerry-phan girl. and now... i think the movie is...meh. it's hard to believe that was what, almost 6 years ago!

LiQuiD DiAmOnD

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 am

LiQuiD DiAmOnD wrote:just a question - is phantomphans.net archived at ALL? (i think that was the web address?) i'd love to see some of the very first reactions to the movie/soundtrack. i'm sure reading my posts now will make me die of embarrassment, but something i'd still like to "re-live" in a sense. i think when i first heard the soundtrack, i posted how i wanted to throw my computer out the window. then i turned into an obsessive gerry-phan girl. and now... i think the movie is...meh. it's hard to believe that was what, almost 6 years ago!

Try http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://phantomfans.net

Raphael, I SOOOO agree with the review tidbits you quoted. I just can't stand the scenes with THAT singer and Gerard Butler, much because of their voices (or lack thereof). And that ruin quite a bit of the movie... The reviewer pinpointed many issues in a good way. Thanks for sharing! And LiQuiD DiAmOnD, thanks for your review too.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  HDKingsbury Sat May 22, 2010 4:18 pm

I really wanted to like this movie when it came out. I'd been looking forward to a movie version of PotO for so long, so that I could watch it whenever I want. Now that I have my own copy, I can't recall when was the last time I popped it into the DVD player. It just doesn't interest me. Instead, if I'm in a Phantom movie mood, I'll watch Lon Chaney's or Claude Rains' version.

My initial reaction was mostly positive, mainly because I wanted it to be. I liked the music, the orchestrations, the sets (okay -- most of them), costumes (again -- most of them)...but I found myself cringing whenever Butler sang. Upon each subsequent viewing, I found myself becoming less and less enthused over the whole thing. I'm no expert, not even a slightly trained amateur, but I know what I like and I know when something sounds "off." Butler sounds "off."

The title song, "Phantom of the Opera," is probably my favorite of all the songs in the show, yet in the movie, I can't stand it. It is obvious that Butler is straining to sing. I've heard plenty of "rockers" over the years, and his voice didn't even sound like a very good rocker. (At least to my "untrained" ears.) Instead, he sounded like somebody who could not reach the higher notes, and so substituted growling and screeching instead. If that's how you like your Phantom to sound, more power to you. I'll take a trained singer over that any day, thank you.

Emmy Rossom? I could have dealt with her voice IF she had learned some different facial expressions. After the umpteenth time of watching her stare vacantly into space with her mouth half open, I remembered something my grandmother used to say to me when I was young, something about being able to catch flies if I kept my mouth open like that. Once that idea was planted in my head, I couldn't get rid of it, and whenever I see pictures of Emmy with that goofy expression on my face, I turn into my grandmother and mentally admonish Emmy to shut her trap.

I won't go into too much detail, as many of the things I would write -- both positive and negative -- have been covered in greater depth both here and on other discussion boards. I'll conclude by saying that if I had to give this movie a grade, it would probably be somewhere between a C+ and a B-. It has good points, enough to give it a passing grade, but not enough for it to get an A.
HDKingsbury
HDKingsbury

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathshead1 Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 pm

Gerry cant sing worth crud, I know This guy is old, but i think they could have used Crawford, IDK, they could have just dyed his hair or something, but in my opinion, he's the best! Very Happy As for Emmy, She's.....OK. Her Voice is pretty good, but As HDkingsbury said, she's dull. I also H8 how they cut several songs short, and " Improvised" On others. The phantom's facer Didn't even look like anything at all, it did for 2 seconds after christine took off the mask, but then it became a small bulge with a pink Rash. it was so anticlimactic. No

by the way, i hate myself for saying this, but the only good singer was wilson ( Raoul ) AND I HATE RAOUL!

Does anyone agree?
Deathshead1
Deathshead1

http://http./www.wix.com/deathsheaderik1/deathsheadcom.wix

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathshead1 Fri May 28, 2010 8:35 pm

lili wrote:gerry izzz ssososososoo HAUWT! affraid
why do u guys hzzt him?

confused
gerard butler is " Hauwt." affraid as you so elegantly called him, but if there is a phantom that can not sing, he's not a phantom at all. I believe that the only reason he was cast as the ugly deformed musical angel was because " HAUWT!" affraid It didn't make any sense why they didn't cast a proffesional singer.
Deathshead1
Deathshead1

http://http./www.wix.com/deathsheaderik1/deathsheadcom.wix

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next