Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare pictures 1

+65
MaskedLion
Bella
Princess
Helen
SwedishSoprano
AngelOfMusic325
The White Half-Mask
PMB1034
BeautyUnderneath
Abhorrent Face
ravnquest1
Klavirista
FutureOnTheWestEnd
ChandelierCrystal
MajesticPhantom
Molina
meglett
Vicomtesse de Chagny
ladygodiva
LisaL
Maya
PhantomAngel777
London-Phan
TheFinnishPhantom
IamErik771
Phantour
Loettchen
Freyalise
LadyCDaae
ML6
justin-from-barbados
vmkwinner
TheMaskedLion
Madame Giry
starryeyed
Amberly_Nichole
Rebecca
PhantomJT
Mandrake
Cape Twirl of Doom
MasqPhan
Phantom on a Budget
aussiephan
fondestgreeting
Becky
phantomgirl110
HDKingsbury
SenorSwanky
Phantomlove
Callie Daae
AngelofMusic
Christine's Shadow
ChorusGirl
Phantom Cat
EarlFan
phantom10906
Raphael
MlleMusique
Paula74
Viscountess
littlelotty004
Miss von Krolock
operafantomet
Scorp
Admin
69 posters

Page 15 of 33 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 33  Next

Go down

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Empty Re: Rare pictures 1

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am

I found these pictures of the Viennese Chandelier, other is from Google search and one is from Phantomoftheopera.com's forums, if someone hasn't seen it yet.

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Chandelierorig

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Austrian_end_act_1
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri May 14, 2010 3:47 pm

Anyone knows where the round chandelier ever ended up? Haven't seen it in any productions after Vienna, but it must be SOMEWHERE?

I love the look of it.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Thats so freaky looking......

Again, was that and the odd proscenium also used when the show moved to the Raimund (which is more a traditional theatre layout)?

I heard years ago that Australia used a round chandelier at one point, or am I geting my stories mixed up? It was either that or Australia's chandelier rose to the middle of the theatre's dome rather than just infront the Proscenium (I think the Vienna one rose to the centre of the dome also)
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Sat May 15, 2010 1:27 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:Thats so freaky looking......

Again, was that and the odd proscenium also used when the show moved to the Raimund (which is more a traditional theatre layout)?

I heard years ago that Australia used a round chandelier at one point, or am I geting my stories mixed up? It was either that or Australia's chandelier rose to the middle of the theatre's dome rather than just infront the Proscenium (I think the Vienna one rose to the centre of the dome also)

I believe that the chandelier was the same. Paul Kelly could probably answer to that, but I dont know how to contact him.

And for the chandelier, I've heard that too, but it could have been a misconception; Austria/Australia..

What a shame that it was that sort of oddity in Phantom productions; not even the original builder of the HMT's original chandelier couldn't answer why it was oval when I asked him. He said that it was in the original plans, as it is, and that's it.
But in one hand-drawn sketch by Björnson illustrates that the chandelier is round and the Phantom is riding it down..?
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat May 15, 2010 3:04 pm

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:But in one hand-drawn sketch by Björnson illustrates that the chandelier is round and the Phantom is riding it down..?
Yes, the initial design shows the chandelier as round, as the Palais Garnier one. But the detailed sketch done by one of her assistants shows an oval one. I guess some technicians or other brainy people convinced them that an oval one would appear round from most seats of the auditorium, but would be a lot easier to navigate. Remember, they were close to not being allowed the whole chandelier stunt at all, they had to do several test runs with safety people to show them it was doable.

That said, when the Vienna production opened, everything was not as set in stone as it is today. The early productions was allowed, under the supervision of Bjørnosn herself, to do changes to adapt the design to specific theatres.

The Stockholm production (1989-1995) had a proscenium with only figures on top (not lower sides), and they didn't have the grave in WC either. This was because of the low stage on Oscarsteatern. The Danish production used the same sets when they opened in 2000, and kept these changes, although their stage was much taller.

An early Japanese production also altered the proscenium, as described earlier (or not the actual proscenium, but it appears the golden angel was not possible to move, and that the Phantom appeared from behind the Apollo statue, similar to what they do in Hungary).

So a round chandelier in a production probably wouldn't happen today. But back in 1989 the whole POTO replica concept was still new, and each theatre had specially made sets and costumes, with a local flair. Today most theatres buy or borrow/rent an already existing package, and they stick as close to the concept as they can (except Japan, who suddenly started copying the US costumes, but that's another story...).

And mixing up Austria/Australia makes sense, it's happened before...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Sat May 15, 2010 8:09 pm

operafantomet wrote:
That said, when the Vienna production opened, everything was not as set in stone as it is today. The early productions was allowed, under the supervision of Bjørnosn herself, to do changes to adapt the design to specific theatres.

Oh, that's strange, since after the Swedish production closed there was plans for a Finnish production, but ALW got temper tantrum since there is no big, old theaters in Helsinki. Helsinki City Theater was too modern for him. Argh, and then those South-American productions are in rather modern theaters, why?

But I hope that Phantom comes here soon...
Only Phantoms performed here are Ken Hill's, Yeston & Kopit's and that some "---penny Phantom of The Opera"
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat May 15, 2010 9:20 pm

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
Oh, that's strange, since after the Swedish production closed there was plans for a Finnish production, but ALW got temper tantrum since there is no big, old theaters in Helsinki. Helsinki City Theater was too modern for him. Argh, and then those South-American productions are in rather modern theaters, why?
Oh, but they were picky about which theatres got to produce it. They wanted a historical setting. But if the theatre was right, the ways the design could be incorporated was not as set ins tone as today. Nowadays "any" theatre can house Phantom, but there are no rule bending (so to speak) in the production design. Maybe because Maria Bjørnson isn't around to approve changes? Or maybe it's just become so.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 pm

They lucked with using old histor cohouses by the time the show got to Germany and the Netherlands.

The Newe Flora in Hamburg makes the Gershwin in NYC look quaint, and the one in Essen was straight out of a warehouse (I think it actually was one at one time) The Palladium one in Stutguart was somewhat better, atleast it had temporary side boxes so it 'looked' more like a conventional theatre. The only real traditional house used in Germany these days is one in Berlin, but Im not sure Phantom could fit in there.

The one in the netherlands was a huge, one level thing, no balcony.

Personally I prefer when the show is in an old fashioned house, even though ALW's first choice for the Broadway run was rumoured to have neem the Minskoff.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed May 19, 2010 9:24 am

Nice, big picture of Carlotta in Hannibal, from Broadway:

http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/38022/phantom.jpg
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 pm

MlleMusique wrote:One more request, though: are there any photos of Twisted Ev'ry Way? Or does that count as "no pics from Notes II"?

Hey, I'm happy to do it! But I realized, I lied. There is a photo from Notes II, one that I had forgotten about. I felt so bad, I scanned it in along with a few others. However, there is no Twisted photo. What I scanned here are the only Notes II and Wishing photos in the book, sadly.

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Ausnotes1thumb

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Ausmutothumb

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Ausnotes2thumb

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Ausgravethumb

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Ausveilthumb

Last edited by Loettchen on Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Mon May 24, 2010 5:42 am

Thanks Loettchen, that's a pretty good consolation prize Smile

You wouldn't happen to know who Meg is, do you? That's such a cute photo of her in Notes...
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm

I forgot an Il Muto photo, so check my last post for an edit.

According to the book, Meg is Alexandra Young-Schmidt.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon May 24, 2010 9:32 pm

I love how the Vienna "Complete POTO" book is modeled after the English one in picture layout, and still have its own flair. So nice to see these Vienna photos. As I mentioned earlier, the brochure photos are quite crappy, even for 1989.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm

Have these been online? From Copenhagen (2009).

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Dmhnblkhh1
Oh, that tiny beautiful stage...

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Dmhnblkhh2
Steen Springborg, Morten Staugaard, Malin Landing and... one I should dig up the name of...
I am crazy about that Elissa skirt. It was shared by two Carlottas both in 2000-2003 and in 2009. When Carlotta moves, the hem (which is wavy somehow) moves in a most gracious manner. And the tabs are da bomb.

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Dmmutokhh1
Another I should find the name of, Åsa Nordgren, Kim Henriksen, Jennifer Wagstaffe
Åsa Nordgren was on as Carlotta a couple of times. Kim Henriksen also played M. Reyer (left in first picture).
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat May 29, 2010 3:46 am

I haven't seen this picture before, so I scanned it. So even if it's not rare, everyone loves pictures!

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Img552
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 pm

That's a lovely shot of the Broadway cast
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun May 30, 2010 7:16 am

Oh, I've never seen such a good scan of that picture before! Gorgeous. So nice to see quality stuff of the original B'way cast.

Not related, and not too rare either... But the name of this Raoul is fantastic!

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Giglvroman
This picture is the original of the photoshopped one with Crawford and Brightman ( http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/music/img/13175_PHANCHRISTINE1.jpg ).
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sun May 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Viscountess wrote:I haven't seen this picture before, so I scanned it. So even if it's not rare, everyone loves pictures!

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Img552

Honestly I've never noticed the "flunky" getting in on the staircase dance in the end. I thought he just brought the drinks and left.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun May 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Not sure if he still does? As I know (in London at least) it is him who is the Red Death double so would therefore have to be away by this point?

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sun May 30, 2010 3:39 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:
Honestly I've never noticed the "flunky" getting in on the staircase dance in the end. I thought he just brought the drinks and left.

He stood out in the photo for me, too. I thought, "I don't remember seeing that one...oh, wait...it's the one with the tray of drinks. Don't remember seeing him in the rest of the scene..."

Then I figured I remembered wrong.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:01 am

Does anyone happen to have these pics in bigger sizes?

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 TristaMoldovan

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Phantom_raoul
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:19 am

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 20090304_053405_06-RaoulChristine-M
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks Viscountess!
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:12 pm

I often wondered (and this is not a request or anything (but it could be, heh)) if we actually have found every single Original London Cast picture out there. I have an album on my photobucket designed especially to keep all my OLC photos together. And while browsing through it, I noticed that it's definately not that big. It seemed that in the 90's, more pictures were being taken.

I feel like I'm playing a game of Pokemon, I gotta "catch 'em all".
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 pm

I have about 300 pictures saved in the OLC file on my computer. Granted, some of these are from after Brightman left, some are press photos, and there might also be different sizes and cuts of the same picture. But I actually think many pictures exist of the original cast, especially when compared to Les Mis.

With one exception: I only have 10 pictures from "Notes/Prima Donna"!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:24 pm

operafantomet wrote:I have about 300 pictures saved in the OLC file on my computer. Granted, some of these are from after Brightman left, some are press photos, and there might also be different sizes and cuts of the same picture. But I actually think many pictures exist of the original cast, especially when compared to Les Mis.

With one exception: I only have 10 pictures from "Notes/Prima Donna"!

True, you are right about that - Les Miserables OLC had some horrible photo coverage.

Hrm. I'd love to browse your file sometime lady, I wonder if you have some I don't have.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Bleeeh, after the news of school kids being allowed to butcher POTO, and after the travesty that is LSD LND, isn't it time for an air of the musical's origins, from a time where there were some serious quality standards to live up to? Some of these photos are well known (I just like the so much), some are on the rarer side.

BARTON/BRIGHTMAN:
Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto0Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto1Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto2Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto3Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto4

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto5Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto6Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto7

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto8

CRAWFORD/BRIGHTMAN:
Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_cbpoto1Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_cbpoto2Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_cbpoto3Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_cbpoto4Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_cbpoto5

Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_cbpoto6

CRAWFORD/KESSELMAN:
Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_kesselmancrawford1987
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Ah! Thank you lady, thank you. It's so nice to see some Phantom-y Old-School goodness.

I'm listening to Crawford singing his heart out right now. They don't make 'em like they used to. Now it's going to be total young-in's playing the Phantoma and Christine. Oy. (Not like they do that now...)
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 am

operafantomet wrote:BARTON/BRIGHTMAN:
Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto4
I LOVE the atmosphere of this one. The lighting and their expressions communicate the scene extremely well.

I have some pictures of the original cast too. I'm not sure how rare they are, but they're pretty good scans.
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 am

Viscountess wrote:
operafantomet wrote:BARTON/BRIGHTMAN:
Rare pictures 1 - Page 15 Th_bbpoto4
I LOVE the atmosphere of this one. The lighting and their expressions communicate the scene extremely well.

I have some pictures of the original cast too. I'm not sure how rare they are, but they're pretty good scans.

I was the one who coaxed her to bring out all her OLC photos. I'm looking for some high quality stuff of the OLC. I want to make some icons. And I realised I had some ugly scans. Really ugly ones. :/ If you could post some of your goodies, may I partake in them Viscountess?
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 33 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 33  Next