Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare and antiquarian editions

5 posters

Go down

Rare and antiquarian editions Empty Rare and antiquarian editions

Post  Klavirista Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:51 pm

I suggest to discuss the different editions of Leroux's novel in this topic. Rare, very old, may be, the favorite one.

Last year I've started to collect editions of Leroux's novel. While googling, I've found very rare first editions (sadly, I can't buy this books now Neutral ). One of them is Mexican edition, published (you won't believe!) in 1910, i.e. earlier than the American one!

Here's the pictures:

Rare and antiquarian editions Th_Mexicanedition19101- Rare and antiquarian editions Th_Mexicanedition2- Rare and antiquarian editions Th_Mexicanedition4-

Rare and antiquarian editions Th_Mexicanedition3-

If someone has the first French edition, please share some pictures. I'm very interested in binding and the quality of paper.

I'll post later the pictures of 1910 Italian and 1926 Czech editions.
Klavirista
Klavirista

Back to top Go down

Rare and antiquarian editions Empty Re: Rare and antiquarian editions

Post  operafantomet Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:33 am

Klavirista wrote:I suggest to discuss the different editions of Leroux's novel in this topic. Rare, very old, may be, the favorite one.

Last year I've started to collect editions of Leroux's novel. While googling, I've found very rare first editions (sadly, I can't buy this books now Neutral ). One of them is Mexican edition, published (you won't believe!) in 1910, i.e. earlier than the American one!
I had no idea! How cool, thanks for sharing.

I've been looking for the first Danish/Norwegian edition for years, but no luck so far. I'll keep hunting, though....
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Klavirista Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 am

operafantomet wrote:
I've been looking for the first Danish/Norwegian edition for years, but no luck so far.
I'm not sure, but I believe this is the first Danish edition published in 1926:

Rare and antiquarian editions Th_cover_denmark
Klavirista
Klavirista

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 am

I have two copies of the first first first edition, i.e. the French one published by Lafitte.

Rare and antiquarian editions Le-Fantome-de-l-opera72Lg

My flatmate has a hardback version from 1910 that came out AFTER the ones I have - I should take a picture of it.

There's a really gorgeous edition that uses (alas) the standard de Mattos English translation published by Eaton Press that looks incredible, but it usually goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay. I'd love to have it:

Rare and antiquarian editions Eatonpress5

A favourite of mine that I own is the one illustrated by Hildrebrandt with a forward written by Sarah Brightman. I love the illustrations.

Rare and antiquarian editions Hildebrandtcover

I still need to get hold of one containing Castaigne's illustrations...

Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Klavirista Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 am

Scorp wrote:
There's a really gorgeous edition that uses (alas) the standard de Mattos English translation published by Eaton Press that looks incredible, but it usually goes for hundreds of dollars on eBay.
There are only four b/w illustrations inside, but it's truly wonderful, I agree. I saw Easton Press edition in two different bindings: one is blue with golden ornaments and the other one is dark with small golden masks. Are they the same?

I still need to get hold of one containing Castaigne's illustrations...
This one, I believe? Smile

Rare and antiquarian editions Th_cover_castagne
Klavirista
Klavirista

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomasc Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 pm

"One of them is Mexican edition, published (you won't believe!) in 1910, i.e. earlier than the American one!".

Actually, it's not surprising that it was translated to Mexican before English, because French and Spanish are both langues based off of the Roman langue, which is called Latin; English uses words from all over the World, and thus would have been harder to translate the book too.

Phantomasc

Back to top Go down

Post  TwelveInchTailor Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Oh my, those are lovely Scorp! and the Andre Castaigne edition.... *drools longingly* I've looked up the original illustrations online often enough once I found out there was more than the Red Death illustration. Why are there so many lovely illustrated versions but then they're so... rarely available! I'd be interested to know how many versions there actually are out there...
TwelveInchTailor
TwelveInchTailor

http://twelveinchtailor.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomasc Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:19 pm

TwelveInchTailor, the Reprint from UK in the photo above your last post is available through AbeBooks, Amazon, or Book Finder I recommend Book Finder. I saw the illustrations on the Bonus Features on the second disc of my The Phantom of the Opera - The Ultimate Edition (1925 Original Version and 1929 Restored Version) set, and as soon as my Mom got home from my sister's music lesson I told her about the "Book! Color picturs! Book" is about what I said. My Mom gets out her Laptop and we start looking, we find one from 1911 for $50.000, and so, I ask My Mom "Isn't there one like my OZ books" so she goes to Book Finder the book in the photo above your post arrives three weeks later and when I see it on the table and start laughing until my Mom tells me to stop. Then I start saying "I got the Precious" from Lord of the Rings until my Mom tells me to stop that too (surprisingly) and then I tell her "Thank You for buying me the book Mom" and then she says " No I didn't you bought it" so then I ask "Then why is there still $30 on my allowance card?"  lol! 

Now I must say, while the de Mattos translation is incomplete, This is still, out of the copies of the novel in my collection, my favorite, because it reminds me of the first copy of The Secret Garden that I read.

Phantomasc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down