Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies you've seen recently (possible spoilers!)

+35
Amyable_Nature
Alyssa
Rebecca
TheFinnishPhantom
Scorp
ladygodiva
Riene
alaron4
PhantomAngel777
ML6
Josephine
Brible
kat097
phantomgirl110
Phantour
IamErik771
Miranda
Phantom on a Budget
Madame Giry
Phantomlove
Mandrake
Christine's Shadow
Viscountess
phantomphan1992
Demodiki
phantom10906
Callie Daae
SenorSwanky
HDKingsbury
LadyCDaae
Paula74
starryeyed
Becky
Raphael
operafantomet
39 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Movies you've seen recently (possible spoilers!) - Page 10 Empty Re: Movies you've seen recently (possible spoilers!)

Post  Mandrake Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:16 am

The King's Speech. Reay, reay... good.

Colin Firth steals the show and makes it hard to resist the corrupt siren-call of national pride with his portrayal of George VI's keep-buggering-on bloody-mindedness. Certainly puts recent royal media "victims" in their place.

Helena Bonham-Carter's Queen Mother is harder to like but more true-to-form, i think. Both characters seem(ed) to take a certain visceral pleasure in keeping the lower orders firmly in their allotted place, but in a way that was endearingly anachronistic and loveably quirky. I'm told the filmmakers asked the real QM's permission to make the film and were accommodated, but were asked to wait until she died.

Somewhat melancholic all round, actually. What once was. Emperors and Empresses and trunk-lines to the dominions...

Also, The Way Back. Basically a National Geographic documentary with a rather thin plot overlaid. Not too bad, worse ways to spend two & a quarter hours.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Movies you've seen recently (possible spoilers!) - Page 10 Empty Re: Movies you've seen recently (possible spoilers!)

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Black Swan. Amazing. So depressing, so affecting. Natalie Portman is riveting, as is her mother, sort of a Bates-mother figure.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:49 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Black Swan. Amazing. So depressing, so affecting. Natalie Portman is riveting, as is her mother, sort of a Bates-mother figure.

it sounds great

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:51 pm

older movies that I have watched and enjoyed the First Wives Club, very funny with Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton, and Sarah Jessica Parker,

another fun newer movie, Mad Money with Diane Keaton, Katie Holmes and Queen Latifah, fun

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:47 am

Buried. Really depressing. Makes you want to hold your loved ones closer while you can. But Ryan Reynolds gives a great performance--essentially a one-man show with a few voiceover cameos.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Marathon Man with Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman, tense and with good performances especially Laurence Olievier playing evil incarnate

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 am

Letters to Juliet (2010)

Amanda Seyfried (Mamma Mia!) plays the lead. Her character's name is Sophie. And from there the references to the "Mamma Mia!" movie just pours down on the viewer. Especially the totally unnecessary "elder woman brushing her hair" scene, it was a blueprint of "Slipping through my fingers". And the movie is both about grown up and young love, which is what MM scored big time on. Even the cover has that recognizable white arch. THAT said, it is a rather sweet movie. Young American couple travels to the Veneto region in Italy, more specifically to Verona, they city of Rome & Juliet. There Sophie finds a 50 year old letter where a woman tells of her love for an Italian guy. Sophie answers the letter, and behold! The woman comes to Italy to try and find her lost love.

It is clear from the beginning that Sophie's boyfriend is more obsessed with quality food than his fiancée, and it's also quite clear from the beginning that Sophie will end up with English Sky Charlie. But it's still nice story telling. Predictable story, OK, but not to the point of annoying. And Italian landscapes is always well suited for movies...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0892318/

Eat Pray Love (2010)

I got the book for my birthday, read it and enjoyed it. I wanted to see the movie adaption ever since it came, but I never got around to. And it got pretty horrible reviews, so I kinda dreaded seeing it too. To my big surprise I liked the movie. Loved it, no, but there were parts I loved. The premises: a woman in what others consider a happy marriage. But she is slowly suffocating. What to do? She breaks out, and embarks on a journey to find herself, in Italy (eat), India (pray) and Indonesia (love). The parts I found slow in the book had elegantly been cut or shortened, and the rest was surprisingly vivid. I loved the part in Rome/Naples in particular. Julia Roberts and Javier Bardem in exotic locations weren't too bad either... sunny If you dread movies trying to tell you words of wisdom, avoid this one. This one is definitely trying to, and it can be annoying if you're not in the mood. But that aside, I liked it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0879870/

Karate Kid (2010)

Another I never got around to see when it came. And another enjoyable movie. Dre Parker moves from Detroit to Beijing with his mother. He hates it. He doesn't speak the language, he is picked on, and he gets the blame for all the trouble he gets in. Enters the super of his building. He'll teach young Dre a trick or two. You know the rest of the story, except he learns kung fu and not karate.

I'll join others in the critizism of this being a movie who's main purpose is to showcase Jaden Smith. But still, you can't help but being impressed by the young fella. He suits the screen. And he's paired with an exceptionally good Jackie Chan. The man can act! Didn't see that one coming. They also have nice puns to the original 1984 movie. My biggest beef is that the mother of Dre is a terrible parent. She is more concerned with him picking up his jacket in the hallway than caring about him rambling through the streets of Beijing on his own, time and time again. He's 12, doesn't speak the language, and is just arrived in the country. But nooo, by all means, let him explore the city. And nevermind that he's badly injured in the match, let's cheer him on like a groupie instead of worrying he might have broken his leg and damaged his face. She's not a believable parent, in my book, but I blame that on the script and not the actress.

All in all, predictable in the sense of you know young Dre will win the match. You know who the good and bad guys are. But the setting and some smaller moments made it fresher than I expected. Maybe not a genius movie, but a good remake.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155076/
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:28 pm

No Strings Attached. Incredible. I don't know why critics didn't like this. I thought it was probably the best romantic comedy I've seen in a long time. Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher have boatloads of chemistry, so you really feel their connection and their pain. And it's hilarious. Highly recommended.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Movies you've seen recently (possible spoilers!) - Page 10 Empty where to check out movies

Post  ladygodiva Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Since I have been bugeting etc, the Library, yes the place where you check out books, you can check out videos, DVDs and VHS, and audio cds, like a library book, and in the Akron Public Library its free, if you are late its like 50 cents a day, and I am sure that other Public libraries in the United states, at least, check out movies, tv shows, documentaries, etc. so those of you in the United states, should check out your local library, where reading is still FUNdamental., and most public libraries also have a bookmobile as well, and if you are unable to leave your home, most libraries have a van or car deliver books, videos, etc to your home.

I am pretty sure that those of us in the US have a good library system, if not , those of you close to a University library can apply for a Community Patron Card, although I highly recommend this, the University library fines are killer on the budget. if you are late returning things.

I hate to sound like a Public announcement but those of you take advantage the privilage of the public library,

I can speak well of the Akron Public Library system, is super duper.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:14 pm

another good movie I forgot about 1992 Dracula starring Anthony Hopkins, Winona Ryder, Gary Oldman, (Who at one time in the early 1990's was rumored to be up for Webber's movie version of Phantom, of course we know that never panned out for Oldham.) I was reminded of the fantastic designs by Eiko Ishioka, a lizard-like collared bridal gown, so Hideous (in a good way) and somehow beautiful, that you could not look away from it,. the costumes, the sets, the production was amazing. funny, scary and amazing, the shadow play, the red suit of armor (or Amour ) that Oldham wears, wonderful and strange.

another change, a good old funny movie with Tom Hanks, Turner and Hooch, about a neat freak cop, and his "adopted" dog, funny, and sentemental and a truly sad moment as well. Love Tom Hanks, every time he cries in a movie, I end up crying.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 pm

ladygodiva wrote:Since I have been bugeting etc, the Library, yes the place where you check out books, you can check out videos, DVDs and VHS, and audio cds, like a library book, and in the Akron Public Library its free, if you are late its like 50 cents a day, and I am sure that other Public libraries in the United states, at least, check out movies, tv shows, documentaries, etc. so those of you in the United states, should check out your local library, where reading is still FUNdamental., and most public libraries also have a bookmobile as well, and if you are unable to leave your home, most libraries have a van or car deliver books, videos, etc to your home.
I am pretty sure that those of us in the US have a good library system, if not , those of you close to a University library can apply for a Community Patron Card, although I highly recommend this, the University library fines are killer on the budget. if you are late returning things.
I hate to sound like a Public announcement but those of you take advantage the privilage of the public library,
I can speak well of the Akron Public Library system, is super duper.
I have to second that! My fiance makes frequent library visits, and I've learned just how wonderful they can be. I grew up in a really small town with a library with a pretty pathetic collection of books. I had devoured anything of interest by 4th grade (how often do you see a third grader reading Tolstoy Wink ). But I've moved to a bigger city since and was shocked at what a nice selection "real" libraries have.

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:10 am

King's speech

Deserves all the praise! OK, the story is predictable, but it's unavoidable seeing most knew what happened to the king and his wife in real life. But the cast is beyond phenomenal. The filming and sound is also top notch. I rarely notice these things, but here I paid attention to the unusual camera angles and the surround effects. Loved the movie, in all ways.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:37 pm

The other night I watched Quills with Geoffery Rush, Joquin Phoenix, Kate Winslett, and Michael Caine.

Loved every bit of it. Never did I think a movie about Marquis de Sade would be so... thrilling? Yes. Very thrilling. Full of some interesting twists and turns. You gotta love Geoffery, he puts everything he can into a role.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 am

ML6 wrote:The other night I watched Quills with Geoffery Rush, Joquin Phoenix, Kate Winslett, and Michael Caine.
Loved every bit of it. Never did I think a movie about Marquis de Sade would be so... thrilling? Yes. Very thrilling. Full of some interesting twists and turns. You gotta love Geoffery, he puts everything he can into a role.

Oooh I absolutely love this movie! I also like how though it is very loosely based on the Marquis de Sade's life, there are subtle allusions to his real life.

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 am

Becky wrote:
ML6 wrote:The other night I watched Quills with Geoffery Rush, Joquin Phoenix, Kate Winslett, and Michael Caine.

Oooh I absolutely love this movie! I also like how though it is very loosely based on the Marquis de Sade's life, there are subtle allusions to his real life.

My Library happens to own a copy and I will check out Quills, I do love Geoffrey Rush and Kate Winslett and Michael Caine and Joaquin Phoenix.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Due Date. I was dying to see this so much I bought it (granted, for $15 at Wal-mart) instead of just renting it. It was...alright. Not as good as The Hangover, for sure. Definitely had its moments though. Downey and Galifianakis are great together.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:57 pm

ladygodiva wrote:
Becky wrote:

My Library happens to own a copy and I will check out Quills, I do love Geoffrey Rush and Kate Winslett and Michael Caine and Joaquin Phoenix.

Tell us how you enjoy it!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 am

I have requested Quills from my library, when I get it I will gush,

another good movie, is The Turning Pointe with Mikhail Baryshnikov, it is a story of two women, one a Prima Ballerina (Ann Bancroft) heading toward the end of her On Pointe career the other (Shirley Maclaine) who left a promising ballet career to start a family, things come to a head when, Shirley Maclaines daughter joins Bancrofts Ballet company.

One touching seen, Ann Bancrofts character is at a meeting to decied on what to produce next, and the others mention Sleeping Beauty, Bancroft says she does'nt think that she is up to it, they tell her that they want a younger Ballerina in it.

it is a good movie, funny, warm, moving, the two characters seem to want what the other has or had. and one point maclaine and Bancroft have a major fight.

Mikhail Baryshnikov, is wonderful in it, highly recommended

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 am

The Dilemma. Not too bad. Humor kind of forced at times, but it picks up the pace as the movie goes on. Pretty good job by the ensemble cast. I even thought Channing Tatum did a good job, and normally he's a vapid wigger meathead. Vince Vaughn's always entertaining if annoying at times. Kevin James is his usual lovable self. Winona Ryder plays the same crazy b!tch she does in Black Swan.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 am

ML6 wrote:
ladygodiva wrote:
Becky wrote:

Just watched it last night, absolutely good movie, the performances were fantastic, Kate Winslett, was incredible, Geofffrey Rush was absolutely thrilling, Joaquine Phoenix was good, and Michael Caine was fantastic and creepy-evil as the brute in gentlemans clothes sadistic torcher, fantastic movie, sad ending though, all the players were fantastic., to quote one critic I absolutely Loved, loved this film. except the ending.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:57 am

Green Hornet. Saw it in 2D (have yet to see a movie in 3D), but it was awesome in every way. Hilarious script, great cast, incredibly over-the-top action. See it. Best time I've had in a movie theater in awhile. I saw it in the second-run theater, but it's coming out on DVD soon if it isn't already.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:31 pm

ladygodiva wrote:
ML6 wrote:
ladygodiva wrote:
Becky wrote:

Just watched it last night, absolutely good movie, the performances were fantastic, Kate Winslett, was incredible, Geofffrey Rush was absolutely thrilling, Joaquine Phoenix was good, and Michael Caine was fantastic and creepy-evil as the brute in gentlemans clothes sadistic torcher, fantastic movie, sad ending though, all the players were fantastic., to quote one critic I absolutely Loved, loved this film. except the ending.

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it! Very Happy

I watched the Romara Gari version of Emma that was on the BBC a year ago. Loved it. I liked it more than the Hollywood version with Gwyneth Paltrow. The BBC released some really nice adaptations recently. Someone told me to check into the Pride and Prejudice one, too. And so, I have that on order from Amazon. Smile
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:06 pm

Morning Glory. Rachel McAdams is really good, really charming and gorgeous and adorable, and just lights up the screen like she always does. It's always nice to see Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, and Jeff Goldblum, but they have little to work with. Pretty uneven overall.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:32 pm

MirrorMask. Really superb film with all kinds of interesting, imaginative things going on throughout. I find it a bit hard to describe for the purposes of a review... but if you've not seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Especially to those of you who are Neil Gaiman fans.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:29 pm

IamErik771 wrote:MirrorMask. Really superb film with all kinds of interesting, imaginative things going on throughout. I find it a bit hard to describe for the purposes of a review... but if you've not seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Especially to those of you who are Neil Gaiman fans.

I love MirrorMask. It has a Labyrinth feel to it - which is what (I think) the Henson family wanted Neil to bring to it. Love it.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Big Bang Theory (season 1 and 2)

My brother loves it. My sister loves it. My brother in law loves it. My cousin loves it. I didn't.

I didn't HATE it, I quite enjoyed parts of it. But I just couldn't connect to it in any way. 4 ultra geeky boys, and a female or two occasionally thrown in there just for good measure... And the canned laughter, my GOD the canned laughter. SO fake. As already stated, I enjoyed bits and pieces, but I got a feeling "Big Bang Theory" is Sex and the City for guys. And now I understand how guys feels it when they're watching SATC...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:47 pm

operafantomet wrote:Big Bang Theory (season 1 and 2)

My brother loves it. My sister loves it. My brother in law loves it. My cousin loves it. I didn't.

I didn't HATE it, I quite enjoyed parts of it. But I just couldn't connect to it in any way. 4 ultra geeky boys, and a female or two occasionally thrown in there just for good measure... And the canned laughter, my GOD the canned laughter. SO fake. As already stated, I enjoyed bits and pieces, but I got a feeling "Big Bang Theory" is Sex and the City for guys. And now I understand how guys feels it when they're watching SATC...

there is not much in comedy on TV in the USA anymore...

I agree with you, I did'nt quite think it was so funny, I think it is hip for the Sci-Fi crowd and young Brains. I also did not like the Office, I have only seen the American version (NBC) I did not get the humor. Very dry and dull indeed.

I think 30 Rock is quite a funny tv show, its filmed in New York.

another show Curb Your Enthusiasm is with me some times funny sometimes hit or miss, in the fourth season Larry David is cast in the Producers, it has Cady Huffman, Nathan Lane, it shows scenes from the LA Producers, and then when Larry David goes to NY it shows him in the show has quite a bit of the Producers in it. and in one New York street scene, Cady Huffman gets mugged, and across the street is the Majestic Theatre.

Is there any fans of the Amazing Race a reality tv show, about 6 or 7 teams of 2 people racing to all sorts of locals...Thrilling, and in usually fantastic human drama,

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 pm

Frailty- with Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton, a thriller suspense with a twist of supernatural, I usually do not care for Matthew McConaughey, but he and Bill Paxton were quite good. I was surprised at the ending.

The Talented Mr. Ripley- with Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Gwenneth Paltrow, Jude Law, a talented cast a good movie, suspenseful, thrilling, beautiful locations in Italy.

I know these movies are over 10 years old but, worth a look especially The Talented Mr. Ripley

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:57 am

I love Big Bang. One of the only shows I watch regularly. You're right--it does appeal to geeky guys like me. Wink
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 am

SenorSwanky wrote:I love Big Bang. One of the only shows I watch regularly. You're right--it does appeal to geeky guys like me. Wink
Haha, I wrote the CHARACTERS are geeky, not it's viewers. I rather said it's a show for guys like "Sex and the City" is a show for gals.

Ladygodiva, I love 30 Rock. Like, LOVE it. I've watched all three seasons (only 3 have been released on DVD in Norway so far) multiple times, and I'm eagerly awaiting season 4. Also a big fan of MadMen. Not that THAT is a sitcom in any way... Laughing

I agree that Curb Your Enthusiasm is a hit and miss. Some parts made me laugh a lot, some parts are really slow. But I guess the unevenness also adds a charm of its own.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next