Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 29 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 29 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  auctioneer Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Ha! Or the time a couple of years ago when someone who, at the end of the show, clearly wanted to be the first one to clap started doing so after the third-to-last note of the final violin bit when the mask is revealed from under the cloak. The conductor's head started to shake from laughing.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:30 pm

A nice little (Auctioneer inspired?) round of applause for the Phantom after "it's over now..." tonight.

Really good show, too. I think I'll particularly miss Rebecca Locke, quite outstanding. She acted a little tipsy during Masquerade, a cute and funny touch; one of many endearing qualities.

Also sorry to see Rohan go. He and Rebecca were fantastic together.

Looking forward to seeing JOJ, think I may have missed him last time 'round.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Yup, Mandrake, that was me who 'put my nose out there' and started the applause. Thankfully, others started clapping, too. I was front row, and I could tell that it took David Shannon by surprise. He had a 'moment' for himself just before he cloaked himself for the dissapearance act - you could tell that he was taking it in - his last glimpse of the audience in this particular production.

In all my years of Phantom, I don't think I've very often seen a final lair quite as good as tonight's performance. You could tell that all three principals were giving their all. Gina Beck was nearly in tears, David Shannon was passionate but not too violent, and Will Barratt shows that he has much promise for growing into the role, as he achieved a good balance of being strong but not overshadowing the crux of the action. My personal favorite moment, though, was after Mr Shannon set Raoul free from the lasso, when he mothed "f--- you" to him. Great stuff.

Rebecca Lock was in tears during the final curtain call. The rest of the cast applauded for her, Ms Beck, and Mr Shannon, but there were no speeches (as this is not customary in the UK).

Just a brilliant evening performance, with the ensemble very tight and cohesive.

The matinee was well done, too. Keith Marshall conducted (without baton, no less), and this gave the show a different groove on top of it being last matinee. I don't want to get any cast members in trouble by posting too many details. I have a sense that management may increasingly be paying attention to online activities involving their performers. Since this wasn't possible to do ten years ago, management hardly knew when casts had a bit of fun on stage. Now they can if we put too much on here. Same thing goes for if a cast member says something to a fan at stage door and it is repeated here -- I personally wouldn't put it here unless I had permission to do so (ie they don't mind it being shared). I do have to mention, though, that I loved Rebecca Lock's decision to give herself hairy armpits for the performance (not real, of course). I see that she has tweeted the picture. Very nice touch. I'll also just mention that we had an extended and beautiful cadenza from Ms Beck in Think of Me, drawing on several operas. Fitting, beautiful, and touching.

Bravo to this wonderful cast, and I hope that they enjoy their celebrations tonight.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:35 am

A certain someone in Masquerade in the matinee. That is all. But yes not posting details unless they get in trouble for it. Most hillarious but probably not entirely safe either!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:27 am

starryeyed wrote:A certain someone in Masquerade in the matinee. That is all. But yes not posting details unless they get in trouble for it. Most hillarious but probably not entirely safe either!
Last nigh pranks is a proud tradition in European theatres. I doubt the management expect them to NOT goof around! Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Well, yes, operafantomnet, that is true -- nobody is disputing the tradition of muck-up matinees. Yes, muck-up matinees are an old tradition, but that tradition predates our age, in which all the activities of said matinee can get reported within minutes. I can't speak for starryeyed, but my point was particular to this production. My sense is that management are paying more attention to this kind of thing (ie the manner in which performers construct relationships with online groups and the degree to which they transcend 'professionalism'). While nothing has 'changed' now (ie there has been nothing, as far as I know, mentioned to cast/crew), I wouldn't want to jeopardize the good will that currently exists between the majority of fans, the online community, and the cast by posting something online and possibly getting someone into trouble for doing something that, although you and I may have found fine, for some reason crosses a (mainly artificial) line in the mind of a company manager, resident director, or other power-that-be. That's why my personal preference is not to put too much on here. I may be overreacting, but that's where I am on the issue. Others who attended may feel differently.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:31 pm

It's a nice approach in an internet age where everything can be found online at any time (if you know where to look). I totally agree about stage door conversations. What people are saying face to face might be be meant for the online world, even though no secrets are told.

But if stuff happens on stage, for a live audience, it's no longer a secret, in my opinion. And stage managers ought to know it too. There's always an in-house person seeing the performance and writing notes about what happened (and didn't happen, ha-ha) on stage, and these notes are filed. At least that's common in the West End in general, I would be surprised if the same didn't apply to Her Majesty's Theatre.

I understand your concern, though. Last I want is getting cast and crew in trouble for being kind to fans/audience members.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Right - I don't think we disagree very much at all. The only disagreement I have is that I don't believe that management has someone watching every performance. There are performance reports done by the technical people that document any difficulties (in case anything goes technically wrong), but as far as I know, there isn't a designated person who watches every performance. I believe the resident director watches from time to time, the company manager may well see part of a given show, and there are always drop-ins from other members of the in-house direction and production teams, but this would probably cover maybe a quarter of total performances, I would think.

It's true that once it happens on the stage, it's in the public domain...but ten years ago, it would have gone no further than that stage and that audience. So it's just a matter of being careful. I might be a bit too 'old school' with this, all the same!

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:05 am

Toi toi toi to the new London cast tonight!

And I think the same goes for the Broadway cast?

I do of course have lots of love for the other productions as well, so kick some ass in Vegas, Japan, Korea, US tour and (I think?) Hungary too! This will be a magnificent Phantom evening. alien
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:06 pm

RUG has never been quicker! Here's the cast list for the new London cast:
http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/london/meet_the_people/

I'm sad to see Stephen John Davies no longer plays Buquet, but on a positive note he is the Phantom standby. Smile
Katy Treharne is the Christine understudy. They've actually failed to mention who's the Christine alternate - I assume it's still Tabitha Webb?

The Phantom: Scott Davies
Standby Phantom: Stephen John Davies
Christine Daaé: Sofia Escobar
Raoul, Vicomte de Chagny: Will Barratt
Carlotta Giudicelli: Wendy Ferguson
Monsieur Firmin Barry James
Monsieur André: Gareth Snook
Madame Giry: Cheryl McAvoy
Ubaldo Piangi Rohan Tickell
Meg Giry: Anna Forbes
Page: Annatt Bass
Madame Firmin: Kate Batter
Hairdresser Joseph Claus
Policeman in the Pit: Oliver Eyre
Monsieur Reyer/Auctioneer: Philip Griffiths
Firechief: Chris Holland
Monsieur Lefévre/Don Attilio (Il Muto): John Jack
Wardrobe Mistress: Ellen Jackson
Joseph Buquet: Michael Kerry
Soldier: (Hannibal) Nadim NaamanSwing Ryan O'Gorman
Porter/Lion Man: Matthew Powell
Slave Master (Hannibal): Simon Rackley
Confidante (Il Muto): Nicola Rutherford
Princess (Hannibal): Katy Treharne
Wild Woman (Hannibal): Carmen Vass
Passarino/Jeweller: Marc Vastenavondt
Swing: Colin Zammit
Swing: Brian McCann
Swing: Katy Hanna
Swing: Eleanor Blythman
Ballet Swing: Fiona Morley
The Ballet Chorus of the Opera Populaire: Kathryn Cooper
The Ballet Chorus of the Opera Populaire: Alison Croft
The Ballet Chorus of the Opera Populaire: Liesl Dowsett
The Ballet Chorus of the Opera Populaire: Amy Hollins
The Ballet Chorus of the Opera Populaire: Anna Shircliff
The Ballet Chorus of the Opera Populaire: Claire Tilling

ETA: and some minutes later they added Tabitha Webb as Christine alternate... tongue
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:39 pm

I wonder if in this short time they will do a photo insert for the brochures like they did one time with JOJ and Celia Graham, os is this time frame too short to be worth it. Would be nice to see some new Scott Davies photos.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:25 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:Would be nice to see some new Scott Davies photos.

Hear hear! He has one of those faces (or head shapes? haha) that I dunno, just looks really cool in the mask.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:16 pm

operafantomet wrote:RUG has never been quicker! Here's the cast list for the new London cast:

Wow, I'm shocked. They updated New York, too. Shocked Laughing
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Paula74 wrote:
operafantomet wrote:RUG has never been quicker! Here's the cast list for the new London cast:

Wow, I'm shocked. They updated New York, too. Shocked Laughing
Haha! Just went to post it. They're working hard today...

PMB1034, I agree about Scott Davies. His face suits the mask. Some just look more right for it than others, I have no idea why.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:00 pm

operafantomet wrote:PMB1034, I agree about Scott Davies. His face suits the mask. Some just look more right for it than others, I have no idea why.
He has a face made for wearing masks.

Well... I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere Wink

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Guess I walked into that one! Rolling Eyes
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Raphael wrote:
operafantomet wrote:PMB1034, I agree about Scott Davies. His face suits the mask. Some just look more right for it than others, I have no idea why.
He has a face made for wearing masks.

Well... I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere Wink
Whooops! Hehehe. Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm

My only issue with Scott Davies pics is that from the earlier brochures, he seemes to always have an issue with his bald cap where it looks wrinkled at the side.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:08 am

I cannot put into words how... amazing tonights show was. It was just, I'm speechless. It was their FIRST night!

And John Jack is definitely one to watch!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:39 am

If anyone fancies going this Wednesday night, PM me. That's my only night free this week and I need a fix for stress relief. Plus I want to see Scott & co.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:37 am

So jealous of you guys getting to see Scott. Would love to see him again.
Have fun Scorp.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:37 am

Count me in on the "jealous" part!

Scorp, I hope a solid dose of POTO will give you the boost needed. Sad
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Random but I think the Countess costume in London has been changed. It's VERY green with just pink on the edges... or has it always been that way and I'm just silly?

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:45 pm

starryeyed wrote:Random but I think the Countess costume in London has been changed. It's VERY green with just pink on the edges... or has it always been that way and I'm just silly?
They've had various versions... some very pink, some pale blue, and some mint green ones. The mint green is rare, I've only seen Rachel Barrell and Sofia Escobar wear it. I'm guessing it was Escobar you spotted with it this time around too?

PINK: https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/countess/uk13celiag.jpg
BLUE: https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/countess/uk11nikkia.jpg
GREEN: https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/countess/uk15rbarrell.jpg

Or did you mean the Carlotta version? I know some has extremely green apron, like "in your face" green. But not all. I spotted understudy Melanie Gowie with the GREEEEEEEN version in December, I almost choked... Laughing But I think we're taking one or two dresses, and not a general tendency. The London production seems to emphasize the colour scheme green/pink a lot more that other productions, though. And I like it. Not an avid fan of all the black seen elsewhere.

ETA. browsing through my UK pictures, I noticed Wendy Ferguson wore the GREEEEEEN versions last time she played Carlotta too. I think it's the same Gowie wore. But most UK versions of this costume is pink, white, black and sparkly.

The London production 1 - Page 29 Newwe6
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:58 pm

It's even more GREEEEEN now would you believe? Or it looks it anyway. Also a while back we were talking about the mirror bride "Looking" like the Christine, well last night it certainly had a "Sofia" mask on. And I know most will have seen this on my Facebook but Buquet now has a shaved head therefore the Buquet dummy is bald and actually is terrifying now.

ETA: Both Wendy and Sofia's were very green. Sofia's looked even more so of course because most of the time she wears it with the green cloak.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:02 pm

The picture of Wendy Ferguson is pale, believe it or not. I have one of Melanie Gowie wearing it, and it is GREEEEEEEEEN. Bring your sunglasses! Laughing

Speaking of which, the Elissa skirts for both Carlotta and Christine has become very green these last couple of years. Earlier they were green with lots of gold, but the current ones are bright emerald green. I think I prefer the old ones.

Thanks for the info about the mirror bride now having a Sofia mask. I love that they keep updating that tiny detail.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Ah sorry what I meant was more of it was the mint green. It really is as if just the very edges of the costumes are pink ruffles now. I'm so sad Melanie has left Sad However, it does mean that Nicola is now first cover and with Andrew having left Marc is now first cover Piangi Smile I actually really like those two in the respective roles.

Yes, I like the mirror bride detail as it makes it extremely eerie which is of course the intention.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:30 pm

starryeyed wrote:I cannot put into words how... amazing tonights show was. It was just, I'm speechless. It was their FIRST night!

It's great that they were so good! How was Sofia as Christine? Has Wendy changed her portrayal much since last time? Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I'll get to see them for myself soon. I'll probably go while Scott is principal Phantom. I will go to see JOJ at some point too. He was my first Phantom, but I only got to see him once. I remember liking him, but I don't remember the smaller details of his portrayal.

I'm so sad Melanie has left However, it does mean that Nicola is now first cover

I'm so pleased that Nicola's been moved to first cover. I'm going to try to see her at some point. I like her Carlotta a bit more than Wendy's.

And I know most will have seen this on my Facebook but Buquet now has a shaved head therefore the Buquet dummy is bald and actually is terrifying now.

I'm not on Facebook, so I've not seen it, but that sounds really freaky!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am

You know what makes me sad though, with all this cover bumping up you'd think it would finally be Phillip Griffith's time... but unfortunately he's still second cover. However, John Jack the new Don Atillo is definitely one to watch, and so very personable, so much so I spoke to him for around 15 minutes before clocking who he was, woops!

I'll be doing lots more detailed thoughts, but briefly, Sofia was great and a fantastic actress. I also think her accent really adds something to the role for some reason, I'm not sure why. She was very sweet however and my only complaint was I didn't like how she really acts like she's about to kiss the Phantom at the end of PONR before ripping the mask off. Wendy, was pretty similar however I felt that she had injected a bit more sympathy into her portrayal. I still like her style of interpreting the role however as she really acts like the queen bee without being OTT.

And yes, the Buquet doll, very freaky although SJD pointed out they better remember to change it when his cover is on...

ETA: Not SJD's cover of course... Buquet's cover. (Buquet's name escapes me at the minute...)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 am

starryeyed wrote:And yes, the Buquet doll, very freaky although SJD pointed out they better remember to change it when his cover is on...
Laughing

Has the new Buquet kept the creepiness and "stalking ballet girls" think SJD had going? Or is his portrayal different?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next