Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 21 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 21 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  ML6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Scorp wrote:
P.S. I would not put it past RUG to use the occasion not to celebrate Phantom, but to use it to promote a certain standalone show. That is if it's still around by then. Rolling Eyes

Can you just see it? Everyone gets a discounted coupon for Love Never Dies?

I'll drop kick Webber in the butt if he dares to bring LND into this all.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:08 am

ALW might well be in for a dropkick, in the case! It's amazing and sad to me to watch how much ALW has appeared to dissociate himself from the original show, almost dismissing it in interviews. It's sad. I've not yet seen LND and so can't comment, but there is no doubt in anyone's mind, I don't think, that it won't have nearly the run of the original Phantom. Hopefully by fall 2011, that writing will truly be on the wall (if it isn't already -- would be interesting to see box office numbers).

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:51 am

Maybe time to start bombarding Cameron and Really Useful with requests for something to commemorate the 25th then? That way if nothing happens, it won't be through want of trying... They're probably more aware (if not always appreciative) of fan feedback now than they were in 1996, especially what with things like TMCPMC and LSD...

Who wants to get the ball rolling?
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:20 pm

I would but I'm rushed off my feet at the minute so really can't. If someone else wants to I will more than happy support/ send more emails/ letters etc when I have the time I promise.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm wondering how much difference it will make, to be honest. It couldn't hurt, I suppose. That said, my hopes are raised somewhat by the fact that there is a big hooplah over Les Miz, though I'm not thrilled about a stunt-casting one-off concert. I am, however, pleased with the fact that the anniversary is being commemorated. I really do have to wonder which run will last longer - Miz or Phantom? Both still play to full houses on a regular basis, and the tourism industry alone seemingly could support both indefinitely. Will both turn into Mousetrap runs?

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:21 am

I do hope so as my nephew has his sights set on playing Raoul in the original and is only 12 at the minute, so has a while to go. But on a more serious notes I really don't see either finishing anytime soon (touch wood.)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 pm

dolly-ry wrote:I do hope so as my nephew has his sights set on playing Raoul in the original and is only 12 at the minute, so has a while to go.

Aww, that's sweet. Maybe we'll see him on the stage at Her Majesty's in around about 2023!

I really do have to wonder which run will last longer - Miz or Phantom? Both still play to full houses on a regular basis, and the tourism industry alone seemingly could support both indefinitely. Will both turn into Mousetrap runs?

I guess they'll run as long as they're both profitable. I'm not sure which one will last longer or if they'll last as long as The Mousetrap, but I'm certain that neither show will be going anywhere for a long time yet.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 pm

You're right Helen - it will, of course, depend on the bottom line. No doubt about that. Telling signs for me were when LM moved to the Palace about six years ago and when Phantom's sound was upgraded two years ago. Both are sizeable investments to make in productions, and leads me to believe, as you suggest, that neither is going anywhere yet. Unless, of course, ALW truly loses his mind....but I don't think he will when it comes to money.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:04 am

Another telling sign I thought was the EPK being created, I don't think they'd create a brand new one for a show that would close in a couple of years anyway. I think they realised that they needed a more up-to-date EPK to promote the show with.

And yes, Helen, it is rather sweet. It stemmed from him preferring the role of Raoul to that of the Phantom and now he is at a good drama school a few evenings and on Saturday's it has turned into him wanting to play Raoul. I had to take him to LND the other night (long story and for the record no my thoughts haven't changed the first act still sucks and the second act while better isn't brilliant) and he enjoyed it a bit more than I did but he too was saddened at what had happened to the character. I think he overwhelmed Simon at the end of last year with all the questions he was asking about it, bless my nephew he is sweet really.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:46 pm

dolly-ry wrote:I had to take him to LND the other night (long story and for the record no my thoughts haven't changed the first act still sucks and the second act while better isn't brilliant) and he enjoyed it a bit more than I did but he too was saddened at what had happened to the character.

I'm not sure I could sit through it once, let alone twice! Must get myself back to Her Majesty's sometime soon.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Poor you having to sit through that twice! Is it true the foyer at HM's now has hideous LND banners everywhere? Mad

Phantom will outrun Mis I think. It has always sold better both in London and New York. I can't remember the last time I ever paid full price for tickets to Miz as it's so easy to get half-price offers from somewhere, but not the case for Phantom.

Can anyone tell me if Scott Davies has any confirmed dates for performing in July or August?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm

I asked this question a while ago, and I don't think anybody knew the answer at that time. Is the promotion reciprocated? Does LND promote the original at the Adelphi? Would be interesting to know.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:22 pm

auctioneer wrote:I asked this question a while ago, and I don't think anybody knew the answer at that time. Is the promotion reciprocated? Does LND promote the original at the Adelphi? Would be interesting to know.

If it did I would be gobsmacked. The original doesn't need the extra advertising.

Just as well the LND promotional stuff seems to have given up on that whole 'standalone show' nonsense... Rolling Eyes
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Scott is on 30th June - 10th July you are in luck my friends.

However Rebecca has time off which I forget but I messaged Helen about it so I will look at that message then come back and edit this post to include her time off. ETA: July 17th - 25th so it doesn't clash with Scott's dates.

Katy Treharne went on as Christine tonight from The Rooftop onwards.

And as previously stated Will is on all this week blah blah go see him he's great etc.

Also no I didn't see posters when I was there (but I'm not that observant) I did however notice a nice big screen showing the EPK (woo hoo!)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 am

dolly-ry wrote:Scott is on 30th June - 10th July you are in luck my friends.

That's a nice meaty chunk of Scott Davies brilliance...I'm so tempted. If only I had money I'd be there in a heartbeat!
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:45 am

Strangely David Shannon has vocally become VERY similar to Scott Davies. However, Scott's acting really has to be seen and he is brilliant... he is meant to be on next weekend too.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

OMG yay. Two of my friends want to see the show (they've never seen it) but I want to make sure the cast they see is really good. I was thinking Scott, Gina, Simon and Rebecca should ensure that. Is Gina scheduled for those dates that Scott is on?

David sounding like Scott sounds or vice-versa sounds weird; their voices seem very different to me.

Someone I know told me yesterday that he saw Will's Raoul and didn't like it. He said there was too much shouting and he almost seemed to play a Raoul well on his way to alcoholism (!). Any empathy with this remark?? I've never seen Will so I can't comment.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Scorp wrote:Someone I know told me yesterday that he saw Will's Raoul and didn't like it. He said there was too much shouting and he almost seemed to play a Raoul well on his way to alcoholism (!). Any empathy with this remark?? I've never seen Will so I can't comment.

Even though I don't live in London, I pray to god that when I see the show, this is not the 'mandatory' for the actors who play Raoul nowadways. It'll hurt me. Please don't let that be true!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Scorp wrote:Someone I know told me yesterday that he saw Will's Raoul and didn't like it. He said there was too much shouting and he almost seemed to play a Raoul well on his way to alcoholism (!). Any empathy with this remark?? I've never seen Will so I can't comment.

Oh no, sounds terrible, hopefully that's not true. I've never seen him so I don't know, but I'm thinking about going tonight and I think Will is on so maybe I will know after tonight.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:28 pm

EarlFan wrote:

Oh no, sounds terrible, hopefully that's not true. I've never seen him so I don't know, but I'm thinking about going tonight and I think Will is on so maybe I will know after tonight.

Heeeeeey...I just noticed your location! Cool We should do a group trip at some point (so we can dress up in costume, weep copiously to MotN and buy another ticket on the way out and then write reviews here with lots of ph- prefixes...like any 'Phan', of course...).

You can't blame poor Raoul. I'd probably drink twice that amount if they stuck me in Love Never Dies.

Last edited by Scorp on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

That ummmmmm does not sound like Will at all? Will (I've seen him 2 and a half times - yes a half time!) whenever I have seen him almost seems like Simon's polar opposite at times - quite a gentle Raoul so that sounds odd. And yes Will is on tonight (I think it was EarlFan who commented on that?)

And sorry it was probably wrong to say "sounds like" I actually meant his style of singing (not the sound he produces) is now quite similar to Scott Davies in that he holds the notes that Scott really holds, Scott has more vibratto though.

And Scorp, Gina is scheduled for those days apart from of course Monday's and Thursday's. She is off later on in July on a Saturday however.

ETA: Will can be a bland Raoul at times so I am really confused, considering I saw him on Tuesday matinee. Maybe he is trying some variety with the role although I am not liking the sound of alcoholic Raoul Sad

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:41 pm

dolly-ry, you are the fountain of all when-the-cast-is-on knowledge... cheers

dolly-ry wrote:That ummmmmm does not sound like Will at all? Will (I've seen him 2 and a half times - yes a half time!)

Did someone sneak in without paying for Act 2? Razz

Actually I think someone here has done that once...?

whenever I have seen him almost seems like Simon's polar opposite at times - quite a gentle Raoul so that sounds odd.

Yeah I thought you liked him, that's why this comment surprised me.

And Scorp, Gina is scheduled for those days apart from of course Monday's and Thursday's. She is off later on in July on a Saturday however.

Ooh! And Simon's doing those dates too? And Rebecca? In which case I think I will be seeing it sooner than I thought.

I wish David Shannon's Phantom were reviewed more. Maybe it's because all of Ramin's fangirls moved off to another show and stopped reviewing, which is why it suddenly feels like I don't hear that much about the performances...

I have no problems whatsoever with a Raoul who tells his child to f*** off when he asks him to come and play. I would too if my child acted like 'Goostave'. Twisted Evil Pass me a G&T, please.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Scorp I can't believe you would accuse me of such a thing! Just joking around. No I went to a show where Simon was literally green and ended up throwing up in his dressing room (I nearly wrote the dressing room there - I had visions of everyones reaction to him throwing up on stage...I digress) and then Will came on for Act 2 so that was the half time Wink

Right, I am getting myself in a fangle with these dates, we are referring to Scott's dates right? Yes, Simon is doing those dates, Rebecca is doing those dates (holidays later in the month oh and if anyone is going next week she is off Mon-Wed)

Yes, I know, that's why I did one last review of his performance last time I went. I say last but I'll review cast change (SOB.) But yes if I'm honest there is a lack of anything to do with the original around the internet these days.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:09 pm

dolly-ry wrote:
Yes, I know, that's why I did one last review of his performance last time I went. I say last but I'll review cast change (SOB.).

It hardly seems like any time at all since the last cast change, I can't believe it's nearly that time of year again. I'll be going once more before September, when David is due to be on, so I will review if anything out of the ordinary happens.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Scorp I just noticed the first part, thank you, it's quite crazy the amount of dates I have whizzing around in my head.

Look forward to hopefully reading a review from you Helen Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 pm

dolly-ry wrote:That ummmmmm does not sound like Will at all? Will (I've seen him 2 and a half times - yes a half time!) whenever I have seen him almost seems like Simon's polar opposite at times - quite a gentle Raoul so that sounds odd.

(...)

ETA: Will can be a bland Raoul at times so I am really confused, considering I saw him on Tuesday matinee. Maybe he is trying some variety with the role although I am not liking the sound of alcoholic Raoul Sad
Agreed, I thought he was a wonderful Raoul, and more gentle in his portrayal than Simon Bailey (which I adore, by the way). Granted, I saw him in December, and he might have changed stuff, but this is what I wrote in my review of the two performances I saw:

"Simon Bailey very masculine, powerful, energic, and (I must add) sweet. Will Barratt a tad gentler, but with deeper and fuller voice. Loved them both here too.

(...)

Simon Bailey was at the "yelly" side. One would think it was too much, but he pulled it off so well. (...) Will Barrett did a more toned-down Raoul.

(...)

Will Barratt also did the spit thing, and was a masculine Raoul. But he still seemed to have a softer approach than Bailey, making the battle that of the Phantom and Christine. I like both ways of performing it."

I would be surprised if his portrayal has changed THAT much, especially if people who's recently seen him haven't noticed dramatic changes. But then again, he might be experimenting to see which directions he can take the role. I dunno. But what I saw in December was nothing like the aggressive dude someone described.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes for the record I like both Will and Simon. It does seem odd he'd change so much considering I saw him this week but perhaps he is seeing what he can do with it as you say. We'll see what EarlFan thinks Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 pm

It's been a while since I've seen them, but I like both Will and Simon too. They both brought different things to the role, so it's hard to say which one I prefer. Will is a lot more gentle, which was nice in scenes with Christine, like the Rooftop scene. I prefer Simon in act 2, his slightly more aggressive take on the role works a bit better, especially in the Final Lair.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Scorp wrote:Heeeeeey...I just noticed your location! Cool We should do a group trip at some point (so we can dress up in costume, weep copiously to MotN and buy another ticket on the way out and then write reviews here with lots of ph- prefixes...like any 'Phan', of course...).

Definitely up for that cheers

Didn't end up seeing Phantom tonight. Went to Leicester Square to buy a ticket, checked the board to see if Phantom was on there, which it was. (Also checked on the Internet before I left home) But when it became my turn in the queue I got the answer that it was sold out. Sad Might try again some other time.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:35 pm

It's official. Everyone I like is leaving. Will Barratt is leaving at cast change Sad

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 34 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next