Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 1

+46
IamErik771
JW89
FutureOnTheWestEnd
London-Phan
justin1976
justin-from-barbados
LadyCDaae
PMB1034
Trilby
Cape Twirl of Doom
Aled_Boyo
sas
Viscountess
auctioneer
Josephine
MasqPhan
ML6
MlleMusique
Becky
Mandrake
The White Half-Mask
Callie Daae
MCfan
phantomgirl110
Rebecca
phantom10906
AngelofMusic
Lycanthrope
Phantomlove
Clare
Miss von Krolock
TGITPC
Helen
carlottawannabe
orange_peas
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
Paula74
THEFISH<3
EarlFan
Raphael
Scorp
HerMajesty
starryeyed
Phantom Cat
operafantomet
50 posters

Page 8 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 1 - Page 8 Empty Re: The London production 1

Post  Scorp Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:24 pm

ruthy wrote:I did know that Nigel was shooting a film or TV series of some description... and did wonder how he was managing to do that plus Phantom, but he hasn't done Phantom that much has he! That's a bit of a shame, I think he could have been a really good Phantom in time... did Scott Davies do the tour or did I make that up?

I have seen David Shannon yes but I don't like to judge too much as it was the Simon/ Will performance and I think we have to take into account the sudden change etc. I thought David was fine for want of a better word in the first act, but I did absolutely love his AIAOY reprise, from my seat I was looking up at him and at one point he turned his head in the direction I was sitting and his face was absolutely broken... he must have saw me start to blub! I thought he greatly improved in the second act and his final lair was fantastic, I was never really a fan of Ramin in the final lair (I preferred Nic's) but I thought David had already brought his own touches to the scene.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts Scorp Smile

P.S very tempted by this book launch!

I really shouldn't be posting here when I've not done anything I'm supposed to have got done by this afternoon, but oh well.

Anyway, if you are tempted, you know where it is -- otherwise we're meeting by the mask poster covering Eros in Piccadilly Circus at 6.45pm and then taking the Tube to S Kensington.

I do feel sorry for Nigel but in all honesty I was not at all that thrilled by what I heard of him. Maybe he was better live?

Yeah, Scott did do the tour with Zoe Curtlett IIRC. I saw him in London alongside Charlotte Page/Claire Louise Hammacott and Matt Cammelle.

Got to run.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:58 pm

ruthy wrote: did Scott Davies do the tour or did I make that up?

I'm pretty sure that my mum saw him on the tour. She said he was very good.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Yes it was my mum who had mentioned the tour thing as well that's why i was wondering!

My mum really liked Nigel live, but I didn't like what I had heard of him to be honest, so maybe he was someone you had to see live. However, from various comments I think it was pretty clear he didn't enjoy being there, in addition I don't know if he would be aware but people were pretty hard on him when he had only done a few shows...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow! Scott Davies coming back to London. Wish I was there to get to hear/see him again. He was my second Phantom I'd ever seen and my friend and I liked him so much that we had to see the show again a few days later.

I guess we saw the same cast Scorp. Davies, Page, Cammelle, Hard to believe that was so long ago. Time is sure flying by.

Hope the event for that new book goes well. It certainly sounds interesting.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:27 pm

ruthy wrote:I have seen David Shannon yes but I don't like to judge too much as it was the Simon/ Will performance and I think we have to take into account the sudden change etc. I thought David was fine for want of a better word in the first act, but I did absolutely love his AIAOY reprise, from my seat I was looking up at him and at one point he turned his head in the direction I was sitting and his face was absolutely broken... he must have saw me start to blub!
His "I gave you my music" is awesome. To me that was his best bit. I loved that he didn't try to make it so beautiful; rather he poured out his soul and sounded like a hurt child. Rather cool. But I thought he was a tad uneven in general. There were stuff I liked, and stuff I disliked. Will be interesting to follow his progression.

The book launch was very cool! I took some notes, but as I'm typing from an expensive internet cafe in Pisa at the moment I'll have to come back to that...

Very cool about Scott Davies!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:29 pm

You hit the nail on the head comparing it to a hurt child... I absolutely loved it. I thought he also managed to sound broken without sacrificing his voice if you get me?

In other news, the Phantom website has already been updated to list Scott Davies as the Standby Phantom, very speedy, not like them at all.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:32 pm

ruthy wrote:In other news, the Phantom website has already been updated to list Scott Davies as the Standby Phantom, very speedy, not like them at all.
Think it was decided long ago, though... That, plus they are ready to change all the brochures, posters etc. outside the theatre, I guess the website is coordinated with this change. The new brochures are at the theatre, but they won't put them out yet cause they want to sell more of the old ones. Annoying... Although I can see why they're doing that.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Yes I know it will have been decided but with any cast changes they are usually very slow! Yes, it is annoying, i see why the want to sell the old ones but when I was there nearly a month ago now there were people who it was their first time seeing the show and even they were complaining they were getting sold a brochure where half the cast had changed...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:02 pm

ruthy wrote:
In other news, the Phantom website has already been updated to list Scott Davies as the Standby Phantom, very speedy, not like them at all.

I've just clicked on the link with Scott's name on it, and his CV and picture came up with Sam Hiller's name at the top!!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:45 pm

Oh it's clickable now? Will have to go check that out. Amusing it came up with Sam Hiller's name though...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 pm

Last edited by Mandrake on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to remove drunken pish.)

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:01 am

ruthy wrote:Oh it's clickable now? Will have to go check that out. Amusing it came up with Sam Hiller's name though...

Clickable and still with Sam Hiller's name at the top. There's also an interview wtih Philip Griffiths on the site. Link:

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/phantoms_lair/ramins_blog/philipgriffithsinterview.php

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:55 pm

I saw that interview somewhere else, I really enjoyed it!

I'm going to see the show tomorrow, taking my mum and meeting a few people there, very intrigued as to what the cast will be, a lot of people are out injured as well.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:36 pm

I'm there on Thursday, I can't wait!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Fantastic show tonight but can they please sort out the long black coat Simon wears? It is far too big now and he kept having to pull it up tonight.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:20 pm

F-f-f-freezing in London today! Hope anyone going to the show tonight is well wrapped up!

As a Scotsman I should be used to it, but living in England has clearly made me soft.

I noticed from a few of the actor's tweets that it's very cold backstage & onstage too. Surprised to hear that, I'd have thought they'd always be sweltering under the lights whatever the weather.

I wonder how that affects the show...

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:04 pm

So I finally have some time to comment on my London experience. It was great! Saw POTO with David Shannon/Gina Beck/Will Barratt one night, and Shannon/Beck/Bailey the next. Had understudies for Piangi and Carlotta, both fine. Will of course write a looong review or two later on.... Very Happy

One thing I DID notice, though (and which I found strangely exciting), was how the Degas ballet girl walking off stage right before the mirror scene (I wonder if that is her official role name? bom ) do TWO Degas poses in London these days. The "Fatigue" look and the "Dancer age 14" pose:

FATIGUE: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_e-mPA_6ZQyg/RtYRr7l3yHI/AAAAAAAADnI/4-IeDCUJ7bs/s400/Edgar+Degas+-+Tired+Dancer.JPG
DANCER AGE 14: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/reiseaudun/designlair/degasdegas.jpg

The pics above are of course frontal, while we see the dancer in profile. But it was unmistakeable. I wonder if it's due to Gillian Lynne or the dancer? It was a cool little detail.

I also noticed how they speed up the tempo before Christine's reaction in "Notes II" (before TEW). It's how it's done in the Japanese cast albums, and it's quite effective. They've done it for some time, I noticed in in 2006 too, but I don't think I ever commented about it.

Pictures to come...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:54 pm

The new Xmas poster for POTO and Les Mis:

The London production 1 - Page 8 Th_potologo1The London production 1 - Page 8 Th_lesmislogo1

It's the exact same basic design. Josephine noticed that some tube posters had them both together; one on each side and some writings in the middle. I think they're rather lovely. I must admit I prefer the Les Mis one, because I think the logo blends better with the concept (and because I'm not too crazy about purple), but these posters really stood out when I saw them. I also like when they make these season posters. Mamma Mia has always been good at it, I'm glad others follow up.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:16 am

Both are very, very lovely...though I rather like the Les Miz one a bit better, too...and I wouldn't mind having those hanging on either side of my Christmas tree!
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:24 am

Talking about the cold last night I went to the bathroom in the theatre yesterday and actually could have cried! Many people kept their jackets on/ used their jackets like covers in the audience too.

ETA: I am VERY disappointed in the "new" London brochure. Same front and back cover. Masquerade a completely re-used shot (with Tori as Meg etc) NO new photos of Simon, David Shannon photoshopped into the boat with Gina, at least one Ramin picture, Emma and Nicky basically photoshopped in a lot of pictures... yes sorry for that rant, I just really was looking forward to the brochure and the whole cast went in and clearly shot pictures that weren't used.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:05 am

I'm just curious why does everyone hate Kate Knight Adams? I've never seen her perform so I have no opinion. But I've heard bad things.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:53 pm

ruthy wrote:
ETA: I am VERY disappointed in the "new" London brochure. Same front and back cover. Masquerade a completely re-used shot (with Tori as Meg etc) NO new photos of Simon, David Shannon photoshopped into the boat with Gina, at least one Ramin picture, Emma and Nicky basically photoshopped in a lot of pictures... yes sorry for that rant, I just really was looking forward to the brochure and the whole cast went in and clearly shot pictures that weren't used.

Argh, that's not good...is it still worth me buying? I can't believe they're using a Ramin photo for a David Shannon brochure!?! Did Nigel make it in at all or had he gone by the time they'd done this (I wonder if he has the record for shortest run in the role?)? If they'd done it after he'd left they could have easily stuck some old Scott Davies ones in.

Did you ask them to show you or are they actually selling the new one now? I need to pick up one for operafantomet.

Speaking of Scott Davies, tonight's his first stint in the role since early 2001! I can't believe how time flies. I'd be very interested to catch him again so I can compare him to what I remember of 10 years ago. Plus it should be extra-interesting now that he's aged and has spent the last few years bringing up a kid; should hopefully add the whole older, wiser, 'father' aspect that I think has been missing in the portrayals of recent younger Phantoms.

Oh, and on the whole 'father' aspect...has anyone noticed that David Shannon's using the 'fathering gaze' variation of the 'Wandering Child' lyric? Has any London Phantom done that before? Peter Karrie maybe (or was that only in Canada)? I like it and prefer it to the 'far-reaching' lyric. It flows better and avoids the clumsy repetition of 'far' in the same sentence.

Just want to add that I would like to praise whoever's decision it was to make Buquet more prominent. I didn't realise it was possible even to have a favourite Buquet, but Stephen John Davis has definitely become mine (would love to see him as the Phantom again too), and I love how he's got a bit more to do with his role now! He goes onstage just before 'Angel of Music' to provide the ballerinas with...er, I can't remember the word for it. What's it called, the thing for pointe shoes? SJD milks 'Magical Lasso' for all it's worth too, haha.

Last edited by Scorp on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:15 pm

Ramin said "fathering gaze" once when I was there and my friend saw him do it another time too. The first time I saw David he said "far reaching" but as he sang "fathering" on Wednesday I'd assume he is now sticking with it.

Still worth buying? Perhaps... I'll give a run down. Same Old Raoul picture. New organ picture of course. Hannibal is the same picture. Same Think of Me pictures. Same Little Lotte/ Angel of Music pictures except Emma is in the bottom right (wearing the shawl she wears in DJT rehearsal but clearly in an Angel of Music pose - she doesn't in the show does she?) The picture on the travelator is of Ramin and Gina still, the boat picture is the same but with David Shannon horribly photoshopped in, awful really. Same Prima Donna excerpts but Nicky and Emma inserted either side. Il Muto pictures are new (there is a great one of Gina and Rebecca!) All I Ask of You is the same and the reprise is in the same style but of David. Masquerade picture re used. Same DJT rehearsal picture (Katie Hall in the background etc) but Emma and Nicky photoshopped in. Wandering Child there is a new picture there but just of David. Point of No Return all the same pictures (and Simon has actually been taken out of one he was previously in I'm sure!) but there is a picture of Tabitha in the same pose as Robyn (it's a pretty picture) and the biggest disappointment (i think) Gina has a new Final Lair picture, Simon doesn't and of course David is there. Such a pretty picture except for Simon ha ha. And no Nigel isn't in the brochure, the last page is odd actually, with just lyrics and no pictures (where Nic used to be) and the back cover is still Tori as Meg. I managed to get someone to show me one but I've been told it is on sale now.

I want to see Scott Davies as I think Wandering Child will actually be epic with him, Gina and Simon. And I loved his MOTN when I saw him sing it last Sunday.

I also love SJD as Buquet, but i thought Ian also did the bit before Angel of Music, but I am probably wrong. Oh and a question does Meg after seeing Piangi's body always turn and cuddle Raoul? It just seemed to really take me by surprise on Wednesday and when the lights came back up she was cuddling Madame Giry.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Dunno about Ian doing it...I did see him in the role but wasn't really paying attention to him.

Hmm, does the new brochure have any nice pics of Rebecca Lock? I suppose that would be one reason to get it (I know, I know, technically I don't need a justification for anything that's Phantom but I've spent so much recently that I'm starting to feel guilty!). Gina and Rebecca were talking about it on Twitter the other day; they seemed disappointed too by the amount of photoshopping.

Random other point which has no relevance to anything: I can't remember who's playing Lefèvre, but he needs to brush up on his pronunciation, he's saying "Firmin" completely wrong! *pedantic grumble*

The new Xmas poster for POTO and Les Mis...

It's the exact same basic design. Josephine noticed that some tube posters had them both together; one on each side and some writings in the middle. I think they're rather lovely. I must admit I prefer the Les Mis one, because I think the logo blends better with the concept (and because I'm not too crazy about purple), but these posters really stood out when I saw them. I also like when they make these season posters. Mamma Mia has always been good at it, I'm glad others follow up.

I like both too, but I actually prefer the Phantom one. Maybe it's my Phantom bias, but I think its colours suit the snowflake idea better. I think it looks really classy, and this is one instance where I think the purple works very nicely. My attempt at taking a pic (not perfect as I'm too embarrassed to take a pic of it while everyone is rushing by me): http://pikchur.com/Ktq

Oh, and before I forget, I have to say that everyone needs to pull their socks up and get voting for Phantom if they haven't already -- see question 25 at http://awards.whatsonstage.com ! This is dreadful, I'm perfectly happy for War Horse to win (especially over something like Wicked) but I am NOT going to let We Will Rock You of all things beat Phantom! Evil or Very Mad At the moment WWRY is actually doing better than PotO! Make sure you vote!

Last edited by Scorp on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:28 pm

I think there is only 2 or 3 pictures of Rebecca if I'm honest. I didn't notice her in the DJT rehearsal picture so I think that may still be Kate...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 pm

So disappointing about the new brochures! The last one was so funky. I thought Denwynters was over the worst photoshopping phase... Ach.

I'm typing a London review as we speak. Made some notes the day after the performances I saw, very handy now!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Yay for a London review not written by me! I don't envy you, I hate writing reviews, looking very forward to seeing yours Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Scorp wrote:Random other point which has no relevance to anything: I can't remember who's playing Lefèvre, but he needs to brush up on his pronunciation, he's saying "Firmin" completely wrong! *pedantic grumble*
Tim Morgan usually plays Lefèvre. Not sure if it was him we saw as the London cast board isn't too detailed, especially not when lots of understudies are on. And I'm afraid I was too busy watching the funky Hannibal costumes at this point... Cool
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm

I saw the show last night, I will do a review over the weekend if I've got time. I saw Tabitha Webb as Christine, and she was great, perhaps my new favourite. David Shannon was good as the Phantom, not my favourite, but still very good. Simon was pretty much the same as usual, but his Masquerade costume was a bit, well, odd. It seemed a bit damaged. I really liked Emma Harris as Meg. Barry and Gareth were brillant as the managers, as was Rohan as Piangi. I don't really have an opinion on Nicky Adams as Madame Giry. I didn't dislike her, I just didn't like her all that much. I was a little disappointed, as Madame Giry is usually my favourite character. Rebecca Lock was definately the star of the show, she was amazing!! Loved her!! A special mention must go to Ellen Jackson, who was on top form!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 pm

Oh no you got the awful masquerade costume! Now you mention it I think there's a semi routine going on. I have always seen it on Thursday's and Friday's but have never seen it a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. And I can't remember the one time I went on a Monday. My mum commented on Ellen this time too, I was telling her how much we both liked her!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next