Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Erik and Fatherhood

2 posters

Go down

Erik and Fatherhood Empty Erik and Fatherhood

Post  ya-chai 2 Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I know this isn't strictly Leroux, but I put it here as Leroux was the one who created Erik.

I can’t say how many comments I have read from fangirls who state that they understand Erik so much they would stay with him, comfort him, be his lifelong companion and love him totally and completely. However, I have yet to read a comment where they would take that love to the next level and have his children in their what if world.

There’s no question in my mind that between Leroux and Kay and ALW, Erik views himself as a father figure when he impersonates the angel of music. He teaches Christine to sing and as a result, she reconnects with her father, but only for a moment.

But in Kay, something quite different happens prior to that. Kay introduces Erik to two very young people. One is Reza, Daroga’s son. Reza never reconnects with his father after encountering Erik. The other is the odalisque, forced to become an adult before her time. Erik’s encounter with her is quite different. Nonetheless, he could have done so much for her but instead chooses not to connect with her at all. In the end both of these young people end up paying with their lives as a result of their encounter with Erik.  

I don’t think Erik ever could have been a good husband or companion to a woman. Despite that, he tried to make Christine his wife. Fatherhood as the result of that marriage would have had to occurred to him. Could he have been a good father?
ya-chai 2
ya-chai 2

Back to top Go down

Erik and Fatherhood Empty Erik and Fatherhood

Post  Lynx Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 am

Insane people like Erik can not be good parents. He is violent and unpredictable. His own developmental status seems to be stuck on some level of childhood, because he doesn't see the consequences of his own actions and has very little sense of conscience. To Reza he was nice and I do believe he loved the child, but he did a lot of stupid things an adult should not do... things that put the child and the child's family in great danger. He only saw the error of his ways after Nadir pointed them about to him. Leroux's Erik is even more like a child. I feel that's one of the reasons why Christine and Daroga are so forgiving that they cannot hate him even after all he has done. So Erik is a person who should be raised not raising.
Lynx
Lynx

Back to top Go down

Erik and Fatherhood Empty Re: Erik and Fatherhood

Post  ya-chai 2 Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 am

Lynx, do you think he was looking at himself as a father figure when he killed Reza?
ya-chai 2
ya-chai 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynx Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:17 am

Sorry, for the latest of answers...
No, I don't think he was looking at himself as a father figure when he killed Reza. I think Reza was his friend. He gave Nadir the option of helping Reza to die when the time came. But since Nadir couldn't kill his own son, Erik did the job. I believe that in that moment if he viewed himself as anything Erik viewed himself as the Angel of Doom the sultana called him. But even that seems a bit "overthought", in such a position I think Erik viewed himself as Erik; a man who loves a dying and suffering child so much he is ready to stay loving and calm while he ends the suffering of said child, so the child doesn't have to see Erik's own fear, pain and tears in the last moments of the childs life. Erik is emotionally almost a block of ice when he hands Reza's cold body to Nadir which to me seems like what I tried to describe: a man who denies his own emotions so he doesn't burden someone else (Reza) with them and who will be for a while unable to switch emotions back on. I also think the moment was traumatic to Erik, having to kill Reza and denying all emotion from himself during this moment eats him like it would eat anyone and being Erik he doesn't know how to survive with these emotions so he falls into his comfy selfdestruction mode and all goes down hill from there...
He did the right thing for the right reasons and I think he knows it, but being Erik he can't help himself acting like Erik after that and specially in this case he doesn't have anyone to save him from himself.
Lynx
Lynx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down