Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

+46
London-Phan
Bunvendor
justin1976
eriklefantome
vmkwinner
AlwaysChristine
Miss von Krolock
Klavirista
Devon
LadyCDaae
TheFinnishPhantom
Phinnish Phan
Maya
Cape Twirl of Doom
Phantomess
Mme Reyer
Vicomtesse de Chagny
ladygodiva
ML6
Mlle. Daae
ChorusGirl
Madame Giry
Scorp
Callie Daae
Rebecca
phantomphan1992
Becky
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Christine's Shadow
Stephanie
Raphael
Paula74
Phantomlove
Viscountess
MasqPhan
TGITPC
meglett
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
MlleMusique
littlelotty004
phantom10906
operafantomet
Admin
50 posters

Page 10 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:59 am

To answer your question about the sleeves, I made the panels separately because I have to alternate the patterns from top to bottom. Mine is based on the one in the pic Anea posted.

Back to top Go down

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1

Post  Mlle. Daae Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:39 am

Now it's about time I got on here!! One wedding dress replica later... Laughing

Phantomfett, it's awesome to see that your sleeves are behaving and looking great! I can't wait to see the finished product!!

And, Operafantomet, you know how I feel about the U.S. Elissa replica you're doing... I'll be watching that closely... I CALL DIBBS!!!!
Mlle. Daae
Mlle. Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:55 am

Mlle. Daae wrote:

And, Operafantomet, you know how I feel about the U.S. Elissa replica you're doing... I'll be watching that closely... I CALL DIBBS!!!!

I predict a battle when that skirt goes to auction.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 am

So after some off and on time on the hoop skirt...Here is pretty much the final product. I have to finish hand sewing the hoops to the lines, but it's not all that bad. I'm very proud of myself. Very Happy
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Th_0210000021
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 am

meglett wrote:So after some off and on time on the hoop skirt...Here is pretty much the final product. I have to finish hand sewing the hoops to the lines, but it's not all that bad. I'm very proud of myself. Very Happy
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Th_0210000021
Brianne, WOW! That looks so professional and well made. It actually looks smashing on its own - and this comes from one who thinks underpinnings are a bore.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Mlle. Daae Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:38 pm

That looks GREAT, Miss Morgan!! Honestly, I don't think I'd have enough patience to make my own... I'd probably buy one Laughing May I ask what it's for? You aren't making a Phantom costume replica, are you? Or is it for the Young Victoria costumes?
Mlle. Daae
Mlle. Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:57 pm

That hoop skirt looks really great! I'm totally impressed. And I agree that it looks professional.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:13 am

Whew, well I'd like to announce that I'm starting work on a new costume replica! You guys might remember littlelotty and me made the Hannibal Princess gown a while back? Well, my next project is the Il Muto dress that the ballet girls wear. I don't know why I feel the need to make this and not a burning desire to make one of Christine's costumes, but oh well.

Today I went shopping and bought some fabric for the bodice. Then I went to an op shop and found a perfect satin bodice from a formal gown already made up, so I bought that and who knows where the fabric will end up! In the same op shop I found a dressmaker's mannequin for $50. So I totally bought that, too! Very proud right now Very Happy

All your work looks great, guys! Meglett, LOVING that hoop skirt! I'm off to sew some lace.....
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Was searching for Phantom sequel stuff, came across this - someone was doing the Countess dress, I think?

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Opera2
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 pm

Interesting, where did you find those? Those are photos I took while the National Tour was at the Kennedy Center in 2007.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 am

Phantom on a Budget wrote:Interesting, where did you find those? Those are photos I took while the National Tour was at the Kennedy Center in 2007.

I found it on google images when I was browsing under the keywords "Phantom Sequel 2". I had no idea they were yours. I saw them and thought they were helpful. Just say, and I'll delete.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm

No worries, they can stay up. I was just curious as to where they were located. The photos are available for download on my website for those interesting in using them for costume resources. I expected they would float around the Net (with or without credit).
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:27 pm

MlleMusique wrote: Well, my next project is the Il Muto dress that the ballet girls wear. I don't know why I feel the need to make this and not a burning desire to make one of Christine's costumes, but oh well.

Are you talking about the Nymph outfits? I've always hoped someone would do this costume; it's so pretty. If that's the case, I can't wait to see photos of the progress.

If it's not the case, well, I'm sure I can't wait to see photos anyway! Very Happy
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Are you talking about the Nymph outfits?

Sure am! I think they're gorgeous, too. I will definitely be posting progress pics! I'm so excited to be able to contribute to this thread! Costume replicas are AWESOME! Very Happy
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:00 am

Hmmm... slow progress these last couple of weeks. Tabs are almost finished, but lacks tons of "gems" around the edge, and also a bit more deco at the middle.

Trying to find a good skirt pattern as we speak. Bought a lovely green jacquard some weeks ago, I think it'll be a nice skirt basis. It's a bit more emerald green in real life than this photo, as the flash seemed to dull the green fabric out while making the yellow and green satin more bright... But anyway:

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Th_newelissatry
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:18 pm

Operafantomet, I've always been curious. Does your dress form work like a regular linen dress form where you can pin the material directly on or does it only support the garment?
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Viscountess wrote:Operafantomet, I've always been curious. Does your dress form work like a regular linen dress form where you can pin the material directly on or does it only support the garment?
It pretty much works like a regular dress form. There is a polystyrene layer under the braided bast where needles can be pinned (have to put them between the bast, though).

I have two of the type seen in the picture, though only one in my shoebox of an apartment. I got them from my wonderful former boss, cause they were changing the mannequins in the women clothes store he owns, from the braided ones and to "real" dolls. I got the old ones for free because he knew I was sewing, bless him. I love you

ETA: it's the little things that makes you happy, right? This view met me when I glanced up at the side facade of HMT in December (I wish I had a better zoom!):
Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Th_costumeswindow
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:08 am

Okay, so I promised progress pics, and.....well, this isn't really a progress pic, since I haven't actually sewn anything together yet, but it does show the bodice and fabrics I'm going to use.

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Th_100_0691

-the bodice is store-bought (hey, maybe that's cheating, but I DID buy the fabric to make my own, and then found this, and...wouldn't you cheat too?). It's also a far nicer green in real life.
-the white netting will become the underskirts, gathered at the waist with elastic. I'm planning to keep the bodice and skirt seperate, which seems to be how they do it in at least some productions, based on photos I've seen.
-the long green scarf-looking thing will be the off-the-shoulder trim for the top of the bodice, and the garland on the skirt (I have more of it)

There will also be a layer of green/silver fabric over the netting underskirts, which I have bought but isn't pictured. And I need to brag that I got the chiffon and the green/silver fabric for $3 a metre Very Happy
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:44 pm

MlleMusic, seems like you have a good starting point in that bodice!

As for something completely different... A Livejournal friend has just completed an 18th century "Polonaise" dress, and here you can see the style the Aminta costume is inspired by: http://tailordrews.livejournal.com/166238.html

Add a layered Flamenco skirt, and voila! That Polonaise dress is so droolable in itself, though. Very Happy
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 pm

MlleMusique, that bodice looks like a great find. I like the color and the color of the "scarf-like" trim as well. Looks like a good start!

Anéa, that Polonaise dress is very pretty, and it reminds me of a question I had about the Aminta dress. In a US tour performance, I noticed that the Christine actress was wearing some form of cage or possibly small panniers under her Aminta dress. You could tell because it accidentally got twisted when she sat on the bench and you could see the shape of it poking through the skirt. Anyone know what she wears? Or, considering the style of dress the Aminta costume is based on, do you think a toned-down version of panniers would be a feasible solution? Or would that make too dramatic of a shape?

And last, here is a photo, as promised, of my new mock-up, based on my new understanding of the Red Death sleeves. It was just a test run made from mock-up fabric. The actual thing will, of course, have slashes all around, and closer, shaped slashes at that. And the lower, fitted part of the sleeve isn't done yet. But I think the idea is getting there. It's definitely a big improvement on my last sleeve!

Phantom costumes - real and replicas 1 - Page 10 Rdsleevemockupsmall

Up: https://2img.net/h/i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd253/loettchen/Progress%20Pictures/rdsleevemockup1.jpg
Down: https://2img.net/h/i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd253/loettchen/Progress%20Pictures/rdsleevemockup2.jpg

Wow, this post is really multi-tasking!
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:01 pm

Loettchen wrote:MlleMusique, that bodice looks like a great find. I like the color and the color of the "scarf-like" trim as well. Looks like a good start!

Anéa, that Polonaise dress is very pretty, and it reminds me of a question I had about the Aminta dress. In a US tour performance, I noticed that the Christine actress was wearing some form of cage or possibly small panniers under her Aminta dress. You could tell because it accidentally got twisted when she sat on the bench and you could see the shape of it poking through the skirt. Anyone know what she wears? Or, considering the style of dress the Aminta costume is based on, do you think a toned-down version of panniers would be a feasible solution? Or would that make too dramatic of a shape?

A contemporary dress of the Polonaise one, the "Robe a la Francaise", would have hip paniers where the hips would be broad, while the back would be (more or less flat). There are similar bodices in the latter style too. So historically it's plausible. I PERSONALLY think the bell shape suits the Aminta costume better. It's in sync with the Polonaise style and also the Flamenco skirt style. But various stage versions to various things. Most US versions of the POTO costumes tend to emphasize the hips, and same goes for the Aminta skirt. There is a variant of the paniers under at least the Aminta and Elissa skirts. But for example the European skirts has had rounded bell shapes all around, achieved with a full netting underskirt, while the Aussie ones almost has a bustle silhouette (not sure what they use). So I think you can do whatever you prefer, really....

I love the new "patent" of the sleeves, I think the finished result will be awesome. Very Happy
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Ok, so I have a question (this will really prove how much of a novice I am...)

We have progress on the Il Muto ballet gown! Real progress!
I made my netting underskirts with a elastic waist, and have started on the layer of green/silver fabric between that and the 'apron'. I gathered the green fabric with a single line of shirring elastic. But now I'm stuck:

What is the best way to attach the green skirt to the netting skirt and not lose the elasticised waist? (Such as attaching the two with a waistband).Should I take out the shirring and hand sew the green skirt to the netting?
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  littlelotty004 Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:29 am

after months of disliking how my first wishing skirt turned out; I decided to revamp the whole garment. I have started with the skirt. I took the whole thing apart and started again. basing my design off this pic: https://s638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/potocostumes/wishing/uk8dutcher.jpg
so I give you progress pics!
https://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p434/littlelotty004/my%20costume%20replicas/?action=view&current=IMAG1890.jpg
and with the new bustle:
https://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p434/littlelotty004/my%20costume%20replicas/?action=view&current=CopyofIMAG1894.jpg
littlelotty004
littlelotty004

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:39 am

I like how the skirt turned out LittleLotty. The bustle looks really good.

And Mlle Musique I wanted to mention that I liked your beginning materials for the Sylvan Glade costume. It's one of my favorite outfits so I look forward to seeing it as you work on it. I wouldn't worry about "cheating" as I did a bit of that with a part of my Slave Girl costume.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:19 am

Littlelotty, the new/revamped skirt looks very good!

The Elissa project I started has been put on hold. Can't seem to find the inspiration to cut + sew the skirt. Ooooh sewing muse, where are you?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:17 am

So, we have progress on the IMB gown! (Pictures available if anyone's interested).

I decided to leave the white netting underskirts separate, and I sewed the green 'between' layer and the silver organza I'm using for the 'apron' together, gathered with elastic at the waist. This worked really well, I sewed on my ribbon trims, etc.....then I put on both skirts with the bodice, and found that 2m of silver organza is WAY too much. The apron is a bit too short to start with (even though I cut it to the right length... Mad ) and now's it's sticking out and looks ridiculous. My only option is to unpick the FIVE layers of stitching keeping the green and silver fabrics together, cut about 30cm off the organza and re-sew everything together. I've got a pink chiffon romantic tutu I'm going to use as extra underskirts, because the netting looks pitiful.

I'm annoyed! And disheartened. Especially because I was (I am) so enjoying making this costume! I'm currently making up the bodice panel with the 'lacing' and I've bought my flowers for the neck trim and garland.....sigh. I should just keep that L plate stapled to my forehead....
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:32 am

MlleMusique, wouldn't it be an option to just enlong the apron?

Option one: cut the front in two, insert a piece of fabric to make it longer, and decorate the seams with flowers
Option two: cut the side and do the same there
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:37 pm

So since I wrote that I lost inspiration and couldn't continue on the Elissa skirt, my inspirational muse came back to me. Just like that! I've now cut + sewn the skirt, and is pinning it to the waistband as we speak. Hooray! Very Happy

Also bought some earrings I'm now taking apart to use for the outer lines of the tabs. Sparkly!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:38 am

I was flipping through my souvenir brochures and noticed that in one of Davis Gaines' photos, the Phantom's ring bears the Cross of Lorraine/ the Free French Cross. I don't think I've seen any other Phantom rings that had anything more than a plain opal stone.

Just a little tidbit I thought I'd toss out there.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 am

Raphael wrote:I was flipping through my souvenir brochures and noticed that in one of Davis Gaines' photos, the Phantom's ring bears the Cross of Lorraine/ the Free French Cross. I don't think I've seen any other Phantom rings that had anything more than a plain opal stone.

Just a little tidbit I thought I'd toss out there.

R.

That happened in the '95-'96 time frame. I was in his fan club back in the day, and the ring was brought up. If I remember correctly, a fan gave him that ring, and since it was in line with the black stone, gold ring theme, Davis was allowed to wear it in the show. I'll see if I can track down the reference.

And I think you meant onyx for the stone.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 22 ... 34  Next