Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The German productions

+12
Paula74
operafantomet
MajesticPhantom
Loettchen
Scorp
ML6
justin-from-barbados
TheFinnishPhantom
Devon
AlwaysChristine
stagehand
Miss von Krolock
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The German productions - Page 2 Empty Re: The German productions

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:59 am

Scorp wrote:Rumours are circulating in the German press that Phantom is to return to Hamburg soon, but at the moment this is merely "pure speculation".

More info @ http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/hamburg/article110880057/Tarzan-geht-kommt-das-Phantom.html

Yes really interesting rumors...it can be all...new version of Phantom, the Original or LND.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:20 pm

ok to say the original photos are bad is a bit overstated on my part, i just dont like them very much, some are a bit too dark and almost all are very yellow. They also have these (i guess it was bad photo editing at the time) big blured areas next to the phantom's head, my guess was to blur out the mic.

but there are some nice shots in there too. They have some small ones of things like Christine's dressing room table. The Phantom sitting in his cloak in PONR. A nice one of Carlotta (at the time she was the first skinny Carlotta I had seen any pics of) and also there is a nice chandelier pic at the back too. Till then the brochures almost never had in any decent pics of the chandelier.

The usually lovely boat scene from the german programs is not very good though. It seems to me that this first brochure was shot live, whereas the later Hamburg ones were 'photo shoots'
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Scorp wrote:Rumours are circulating in the German press that Phantom is to return to Hamburg soon, but at the moment this is merely "pure speculation".

More info @ http://www.welt.de/print/die_welt/hamburg/article110880057/Tarzan-geht-kommt-das-Phantom.html

Well it seems to be a strong rumour, since some German musical actors are talking about it already. But it will really surprise me if they bring back the original production, since the Stage Entertainment chairman mentions a "great NEW production". I'm thinking it could actually be either the new tour version, or even LND.
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm

well, the guy from RUG did mention in an interview regarding the Danish version of LND that a German one is planned to get going within 18 months - 2 years from now. although that seems a ways off. Anyone know when Tarzan is closing?

I sort of doubt if it is POTO that they will use the new version, surely they still have most of the sets from the original someplace.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 am

Man, lets get another opera singer playing the Phantom in Hamburg. Peter Hofmann was so flawless on that cast recording. Actually, that entire cast was flawless.

Thanks for the response on the pictures in the brochure. Maybe one day I'll score myself one!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

Miss von Krolock wrote:

Well it seems to be a strong rumour, since some German musical actors are talking about it already. But it will really surprise me if they bring back the original production, since the Stage Entertainment chairman mentions a "great NEW production". I'm thinking it could actually be either the new tour version, or even LND.
I'm pretty sure it's LND they are planning, since that is what RUG said was coming up next. If they're to stage Phantom anew in Germany, I would think they chose an eastern city like Berlin, as they've already done south, west and north. I would be surprised if Phantom was produced anew in Hamburg, where it ran for 11 years!

Whatever the case, at this point I'd rather see LND than the bastardized new UK tour. The more I see of it, the less impressed I am.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 am

operafantomet wrote:
Miss von Krolock wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's LND they are planning, since that is what RUG said was coming up next. If they're to stage Phantom anew in Germany, I would think they chose an eastern city like Berlin, as they've already done south, west and north. I would be surprised if Phantom was produced anew in Hamburg, where it ran for 11 years!

Whatever the case, at this point I'd rather see LND than the bastardized new UK tour. The more I see of it, the less impressed I am.

I think I stand corrected.... Am I reading it right in that it IS Phantom returning to Neue Flora, and not a new production of Love Never Dies? Only a 10 month run if the gossip is correct:

http://www.musicalzentrale.de/index.php?service=0&subservice=2&details=5238

ETA: Here's a confirmation from Stage Entertainment, with a one-minute commercial (London clips):
http://www.stage-entertainment.de/

Phantom freakin' returns to Hamburg!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:35 pm

So psyched. I do hope it's of the same caliber of the initial run. I think the types of singers it hired made it sound and seem very unique. Smile
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm

*cries*

Oh sweet mother. Can an opera singer take the role of the Phantom again? I'd love to see some of the actors from the original Vienna and Hamburg productions do some of the older roles. This is such happy news indeed!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 am

ML6 wrote:*cries*

Oh sweet mother. Can an opera singer take the role of the Phantom again?

JUST what I was implying. Wink
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:
ML6 wrote:*cries*

Oh sweet mother. Can an opera singer take the role of the Phantom again?

JUST what I was implying. Wink

Yes, oh please, yes.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Assuming that it's a Stage Entertainment production, "some" familiar faces will surely appear. If Ernst van Looy and Fernand Delosch won't play Firmin and André, I'll eat my hat.
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 pm

just please not Uwe, that's all I beg.

also I am assuming it will be the original production and not the 'new' tour sets.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:just please not Uwe, that's all I beg.

also I am assuming it will be the original production and not the 'new' tour sets.
Nothing in the German Facebook site ( https://www.facebook.com/DasPhantomDerOperDasMusical?fref=ts ) suggests it's the new tour. It would be pretty pointless to choose that one anyway, since they're not touring (I.E. don't need easy-to-move sets) and since they already have sets and costumes for the original version. But I haven't seen a definitive confirmation of either, mind you.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 am

operafantomet wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:just please not Uwe, that's all I beg.

Nothing in the German Facebook site ( https://www.facebook.com/DasPhantomDerOperDasMusical?fref=ts ) suggests it's the new tour. It would be pretty pointless to choose that one anyway, since they're not touring (I.E. don't need easy-to-move sets) and since they already have sets and costumes for the original version. But I haven't seen a definitive confirmation of either, mind you.

Not to mention that Neue Flora was built for the original Phantom, it'd be just silly to go with the Cammack version. Were the Hamburg sets used in all German productions?

And Uwe's return in the role is highly unlikely, knowing how unpopular his shows in Essen were.
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:00 am

It will be the original production and with some new sets, I heard. Some will be make new.
Casting in April/May so it will be announced in July.
I buy my tickets when I know the cast because the tickets are too expensive.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:43 pm

That's really exciting, even if it's not likely I could get to Germany to see it. I'm just really glad to hear that it'll be the original production. Good to see it getting some love.
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:36 am

SweetChristine wrote:It will be the original production and with some new sets, I heard.

Jesus take the wheel. This can either look really odd or really good. I'm hoping for something to have a continuity feel to Maria's designs.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 am

ML6 wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:It will be the original production and with some new sets, I heard.

Jesus take the wheel. This can either look really odd or really good. I'm hoping for something to have a continuity feel to Maria's designs.

I took the "new sets" remark as new physical manifestations of the original design. There had been an earlier question in this thread as to whether the original Hamburg sets would be used.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:
ML6 wrote:

I took the "new sets" remark as new physical manifestations of the original design. There had been an earlier question in this thread as to whether the original Hamburg sets would be used.

Oh! Should have read it with that in mind! Embarassed
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

The German productions - Page 2 Empty To Operaphantomnet

Post  MilesCF Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I think I can answer loads of your questions. I worked at Phantom Hamburg from 1991 - 1995, being MD from 1993 - 1995. The cast list you showed looks like the one when I joined in 1991: Hofmann was still Phantom, A-M Kaufmann still Christine and Thomas Schulze Raoul. Hardy and Tim Tobin soon went on to share the role of Phantom. Tim left and Thomas Schulze took over. Silvia Krüger, married to a certain Klaus Vogt found herself a few years later married to one of the world's leading Wagnerian tenors. Carl Robert Helg, Assistant Music director after the departure of original music director Volker Plangg, went on to conduct quite a few concerts with Peter Hofmann, later becoming Chorus Master in Karlsruhe. He committed suicide, throwing himself onto the stage from the lighting gantry in June or July 2011 in front of the assembled company. Tina Thompson was married to Edouard (Jim) Broussard. 

Colby Thomas joined the company soon after. The 'Mirror Bride' track was traditionally the Christine cover. Colby went on to play the role for many years. Lori Broderick also started as the Mirror Bride.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Last edited by MilesCF on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:22 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo in the subject section)

MilesCF

Back to top Go down

The German productions - Page 2 Empty Info

Post  MilesCF Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 pm

operafantomet wrote:Got a new Hamburg program (playbill) today. It looked identical to the ones I have, but I just had the strongest urge to buy it. The content is the same, no new pictures or articles, but it's listing a cast combo I hadn't seen before:

PHANTOM: Hartwig Rudolz/Tim Tobin
CHRISTINE: Anna Maria Kaufmann/Renée Knapp
RAOUL: Thomas Schulze (!!)
CARLOTTA: Pamela Sanabria/Jennifer Little
ANDRÉ: Scott Gregory
FIRMIN: Woldgang Beigel
MADAME GIRY: Ruth Hale
MEG GIRY: Lucy Potter
PIANGI: Edouard Broussard/Clarence Carter/Peter Prior
REYER: Dietmar Ziegler
LEFEVRE: Peter Prior
BUQUET: Ulrich Talle
AUCTIONEER: Clarence Carter
DON ATTILIO: Bernd Nachbaur
CONFIDANTE: Simone Pohl
INNKEEPER: Peter Graham
WIFE: Corinna A. Jagodie
PAGES: Annette Koch, Carol Lurie
MADAME FIRMIN: Tina Thompson
PRINCESS: Lori Broderick
FIREMEN: Horst Gross, Eberhard Neitzel
SLAVE MASTER: Victor Pesina
FLUNKY: Anthony Sands

BALLET GIRLS: Julie Collins, Eva Hallbeck, Joanna Bates, Petra Baum, Louise Brown, Tracy J. Hayes, Tabitha Dudley, Gabriela Nicolson

SWINGS: Edouard Broussard, Nicolas Dunbar, Florian Giertzuch, Constanze Götze, Jennifer Little, Wolfgang A. Palm, Markus Petsch, Pamela Laurent.

So much of the original cast still present, but some moved a bit around. Also some new faces. I think it's the first listing of Julie Collins, whose Hannibal slavegirl costume is now in my care. But Colby Thomas has not yet joined.

So I'm thinking late 1991 or early 1992? Anyone knows for sure?

1991 - 1992, after Peter Hofmann's departure in August, 1991. Tim and Hardy shared the role until the following year.

MilesCF

Back to top Go down

The German productions - Page 2 Empty To MajesticPhantom

Post  MilesCF Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:19 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:I actually have a question about the Hamburg production-  Clearly, it was a phenomenon...but how did it sustain such a long run (since most German productions are only a few years long, as they are really for local audiences)?  Did it attract a lot of international tourists because of its size and execution of the production?

Phantom Hamburg was phenomenally well performed and marketed. Also, let's not forget these were the boom years for musicals; Stella Musicals budgeted carefully after Cats and Startlight Express in Bochum but Phantom Hamburg was exemplary in its trajectory. We had buses coming in from everywhere: All over Germany, Denmark, Belgium…Radio stations would have Phantom tickets and a weekend at the Atlantic Hotel as first prize, for example. Phantom and Hamburg became inseperable in people's minds. The show was brilliantly sold to an audience who had money to spend; that's why it lasted eleven years. I was there for four years and it ran at the Neue Flora until 2000, I believe; I went back to conduct the applause music for Thomas Schulze's farewell in 2000 and it was as if nothing had changed. A wonderful production that captured the Zeitgeist perfectly.

MilesCF

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 am

Miles, thank you so much for your fantastic insight. Very giving of you.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  MilesCF Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:12 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:Miles, thank you so much for your fantastic insight. Very giving of you.
My pleasure. If there's anything else you want to know I'll see if I can help.

MilesCF

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Miles, can you tell me why so little photographs exist of Peter Hofmann as the Phantom? Or, can you tell us anything about Peter Hofmann's original run? This is all very exciting that someone who worked with the original Hamburg company has something to share with this group - and having to been around Peter - I am jumping at the opportunity to learn more!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:57 pm

MilesCF wrote:
MajesticPhantom wrote:I actually have a question about the Hamburg production-  Clearly, it was a phenomenon...but how did it sustain such a long run (since most German productions are only a few years long, as they are really for local audiences)?  Did it attract a lot of international tourists because of its size and execution of the production?

Phantom Hamburg was phenomenally well performed and marketed. Also, let's not forget these were the boom years for musicals; Stella Musicals budgeted carefully after Cats and Startlight Express in Bochum but Phantom Hamburg was exemplary in its trajectory. We had buses coming in from everywhere: All over Germany, Denmark, Belgium…Radio stations would have Phantom tickets and a weekend at the Atlantic Hotel as first prize, for example. Phantom and Hamburg became inseperable in people's minds. The show was brilliantly sold to an audience who had money to spend; that's why it lasted eleven years. I was there for four years and it ran at the Neue Flora until 2000, I believe; I went back to conduct the applause music for Thomas Schulze's farewell in 2000 and it was as if nothing had changed. A wonderful production that captured the Zeitgeist perfectly.

What a great insight - love it when people like you stumble across this board and share stories.

I have to ask though - what was all this about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f15Hap8ppk

All this happened on the day of the premiere - did it overshadow the first night?

I can understand how Phantom might seem to be "Kommerzkultur", but on the other hand I'm not exactly sure what the protesters would rather have in its place...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

The German productions - Page 2 Empty Phantom Hamburg Opening Night, June 1990

Post  MilesCF Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 am

Yes, I remember it well. The original idea was to put Phantom in a smaller theatre in the neighbourhood, the Flora. It was just round the corner in a rather nice cobbled street whose name I forget. The neighbourhood, though not run-down, was good, honest working class. (we weren't far from Sankt Pauli and the port). A lot of the residents got together and protested against the gentrification of the nieghbourhood with all the 'evils' it would entail: increased traffic, higher rents/property prices etc not to mention what they felt was an unnecessary invasion of their patch. The company then decided to abandon the Flora project and build something much bigger on the junction of Stresemannstrasse and Holstenstrasse (I think), calling it the Neue Flora (or 'New Flora'). The protests came to a head on the opening night with sit-ins and many guests actually physically attacked by the great unwashed. A female friend of mine was thrown down the steps by a couple of men. Nice, eh? The cast was kept pretty much in the dark about what was going on outside. The police finally got everything under control but it was an ugly night. The street you see on the video is the Stresemannstrasse which was, at the time, the busiest and most polluted street in Germany. The pedestrian traffic light phases were kept incredibly short so as to keep the traffic moving. One year, around 1992, I think, a very young girl was run over by a juggernaut whilst crossing the road on a green man. Her death led to many sit-ins which paralysed the traffic in that part of the city. All that to say that the residents of the area were not slow to stand up for what they felt needed to be addressed. I never felt unsafe in the neighbourhood and there were no more anti-Neue Flora protests after opening night.

MilesCF

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:31 am

MilesCF wrote:
operafantomet wrote:Got a new Hamburg program (playbill) today. It looked identical to the ones I have, but I just had the strongest urge to buy it. The content is the same, no new pictures or articles, but it's listing a cast combo I hadn't seen before:

(...)

So much of the original cast still present, but some moved a bit around. Also some new faces. I think it's the first listing of Julie Collins, whose Hannibal slavegirl costume is now in my care. But Colby Thomas has not yet joined.

So I'm thinking late 1991 or early 1992? Anyone knows for sure?

1991 - 1992, after Peter Hofmann's departure in August, 1991. Tim and Hardy shared the role until the following year.
Thank you so much for the confirmation on this! And thank you for the insights you've shared with us. Hamburg will forever be one of my favourite productions. It had such a soul and stye.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:37 am

I forgot to add:

Casting is completed for the upcoming Hamburg production, or very close to be anyway. The final auditions were done in mid July. Only one name has leaked so far - Raymond Sepe (previous u/s Phantom/Raoul/André/Piangi) is cast as Piangi. Very cool.

I'm really curious about what route the new casting will take. I hope for a lot of new faces - something that was always Phantom's forte - with a dash of veterans. I think we'll know very soon.

Anyone else has rumours to share, or confirmed castings?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next