Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 9 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  starryeyed Fri May 27, 2011 2:52 pm

I find it funny that I've never heard of this person but I am actually really excited about that. Must do some research...

Oliver fans have until the end of next week to catch him, I think this is his last confirmed "long" run at the role of Raoul but he may have a few days here and there until September.

And on the subject of the carry in Music of the Night, I always get a bit scared they'll somehow drop the Christine.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri May 27, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm excited about the new Phantom. I've never heard of him before, but I like discovering actors that I haven't heard of before.

Does anyone know if any of the cast are off the week beginning the 6th of June? I think Sofia is, but I'm not sure about anyone else. I'll be in London that week and I might go as I think it'll be my last chance to see this cast.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Fri May 27, 2011 7:08 pm

This Peter Jöback sounds interesting!

I'm thinking of going to London tomorrow. Will there be much chance of getting a ticket for the matinée from the box office tomorrow?

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Josefine told me these news earlier today. I must admit I am very, very surprised that Peter Jöback is to play the Phantom. I always viewed him as a Raoul, but I guess that is due to the roles he's played in the past (Robert in "Kristina från Duvemåla", The Conferansier in "Cabaret", Chris in "Miss Saigon" etc). Not sure his voice is Phantom material, but on he other hand I'm very ready to be surprised and impressed by someone "new" (new in the mask, that is, Jöback is a household name in Scandinavia).
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri May 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah, the couple clips I watched on his website didn't make him seem at all like a Phantom. But I'm open to something new, as long as he doesn't turn him into a whiny, rocky Ramin type. The one new guy they tried that intrigued me (Nigel Richards I think?) didn't last long, and there's almost no record of him.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri May 27, 2011 11:36 pm

ifonlyidont wrote:I'm thinking of going to London tomorrow. Will there be much chance of getting a ticket for the matinée from the box office tomorrow?

I can't say for certain obviously, but you should be able to get one. I've gone to the box office on the day a few times and always managed to get something.

Last edited by Helen on Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 pm

What was the situation with Nigel Richards? He was the standby for the first two months of the 2009/2010 cast, correct? Right before Shannon joined...

And about Joback- I'd never have thought him for the role... but he is getting older, so it'll be intriguing to see him move onto a role like this. If you listen to his voice in Kristina, it is soaring...he was so young then. I am excited because I am always intrigued about new people... this is going to be a really interesting performance, for sure...
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Sat May 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I've also seen him as a Raoul, but let's face it, he is 40 years old so I think it's time he moves on from Raoul type of roles to "older" roles. I'm excited and think he can be good. He surprised me as Robert in "Kristina från Duvemåla" and that was 16 years ago, so I'm sure he can surprise me again with singing something that I didn't really think he would do.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat May 28, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm not entirely sure how "in the public domain" the Nigel Richards situation is, the bottom line was the resident directors weren't happy with his interpretation of the role and he wasn't happy about being told to change and a whole lot of other "show politics" things and he sort of disappeared. I really felt for him, my mum saw him and liked him but unfortunately a few embarrassing lyrics flubs are what he seems known for now.

His replacement (Scott) openly talked about how he appears to be the only one who when he gets an order to change something won't, I actually don't know how he gets away with it to be honest as he's also said that you could "disappear" if you don't.

This has been backed up by a few cast members, including Gareth who used to really play for the laughs when ordering for the ballet to be brought forward, it was hilarious and always had the audience laughing but he got warned about it so had to stop it. I jokingly said he should say how much everyone (that I knew of) enjoyed it and he said "maybe you should tell them, they'll throw me out."

I can't remember when the new resident director etc came into the show. I think it may have been around the time Nigel actually left but I know that certain cast members weren't happy with the way the new resident directors were trying to steer the show, a prime example being The Phantom's being ordered to perform "Music of the Night" as a "lecture on music."

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat May 28, 2011 11:18 pm

The resident directors sound stupid. We need more creative freedom in Phantom, not less. Keeps the show fresh.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sat May 28, 2011 11:39 pm

starryeyed wrote:This has been backed up by a few cast members, including Gareth who used to really play for the laughs when ordering for the ballet to be brought forward, it was hilarious and always had the audience laughing but he got warned about it so had to stop it. I jokingly said he should say how much everyone (that I knew of) enjoyed it and he said "maybe you should tell them, they'll throw me out."

It's funny you should mention that, I noticed it was different the last time I went. At the time I just thought he was trying something different. I preferred the old way, it was brilliant! How long do resident directors generally stick around for?

a prime example being The Phantom's being ordered to perform "Music of the Night" as a "lecture on music."

I like the idea of it being performed at a "lecture in music," but in practice, it didn't really work. I didn't think JOJ played it as a "lecture in music" when I saw him. I like Gillian Lynne's take on MOTN.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Sat May 28, 2011 11:43 pm

The lecture on music thing could be creatively justified, I suppose, in the sense that it's a new take that the resident director wants to try, but stuff like limiting the theatre managers playing for laughs...it's supposed to be funny & perfectly appropraite for their characters, surely an enthused/creatively stimulated cast makes for a better show? I understand the importance of consistency but it's hardly re-inventing the wheel. It must be odd for Scott, firstly he's not there all the time & then the rest of the cast are almost in a different show!
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sun May 29, 2011 5:59 am

John Owen-Jones has announced some holiday dates for his 6-month extension. I'm going to try seeing one of the November performances, as it'll be cool to see Scott Davies, too!

http://johnowenjones.com/John_Owen-Jones/Dates.html
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Sun May 29, 2011 10:24 pm

What? Today is just full of surprises..! I always pictured Peter as more of a Raoul type singer (Robert just isn't Phantom, you know?) but... This'll definately be interesting. Eventhough he's getting older I think he still sounds quite young, but judge for yourself.
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon May 30, 2011 9:39 am

starryeyed wrote:I'm not entirely sure how "in the public domain" the Nigel Richards situation is, the bottom line was the resident directors weren't happy with his interpretation of the role and he wasn't happy about being told to change and a whole lot of other "show politics" things and he sort of disappeared. I really felt for him, my mum saw him and liked him but unfortunately a few embarrassing lyrics flubs are what he seems known for now.

His replacement (Scott) openly talked about how he appears to be the only one who when he gets an order to change something won't, I actually don't know how he gets away with it to be honest as he's also said that you could "disappear" if you don't.

This has been backed up by a few cast members, including Gareth who used to really play for the laughs when ordering for the ballet to be brought forward, it was hilarious and always had the audience laughing but he got warned about it so had to stop it. I jokingly said he should say how much everyone (that I knew of) enjoyed it and he said "maybe you should tell them, they'll throw me out."

I can't remember when the new resident director etc came into the show. I think it may have been around the time Nigel actually left but I know that certain cast members weren't happy with the way the new resident directors were trying to steer the show, a prime example being The Phantom's being ordered to perform "Music of the Night" as a "lecture on music."

Rolling Eyes

Is the resident director who came up with all this crap someone who came in AFTER Laurence Connor? If it's Connor who's responsible, then that doesn't bode well for the new production...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon May 30, 2011 1:05 pm

It was the resident director who came in after Laurence Connor, as he left to do the Les Mis tour.

Reading the replies, I realised I'd missed out quite a chunk of what was given as the "direction" for Music of the Night. The bottom line was that it was a lecture on music, which in some interpretations could probably work. However, SD was instructed to keep it "clear" and "concise" and clip a lot of notes (the more he explained the more I realised where David's interpretation of the song came from) and also that he was told he had to reign in any arm and hand movements. Which, really, in my opinion is Scott's strong point. I will point out, Scott has NEVER went along with anything he was told to do, how he survives and people like Nigel disappear is another matter I suppose.

And Helen, yes, I noticed the change in Gareth in the ballet actually before he told me about it. I had saw him quite a few times and always liked it, so one day I decided to tell him I liked it and he thanked me, that was that. The next time I visited the show I by pure coincidence bumped into him before the show and joked I hoped he was still doing it that way and he replied "I couldn't disappoint of course!" And he didn't do it... I never said anything of course but I saw him another couple of times, and the final time (last time I saw the show) I was with my mum. Now, my mum is very honest, and decided to tell him she was sad to see he had changed it (in as jokey a way as possible, my mum does not give random critiques of performances) and that was when he told us about the resident director not liking it etc.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon May 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Are the RDs hired by Cam or Hal?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 pm

Helen wrote:
ifonlyidont wrote:I'm thinking of going to London tomorrow. Will there be much chance of getting a ticket for the matinée from the box office tomorrow?

I can't say for certain obviously, but you should be able to get one. I've gone to the box office on the day a few times and always managed to get something.

Thanks for the reply. I did go on Saturday and went to the TKTs booth in Leicester square and got Stalls D6 for £40 so was rather happy with that!

It was brilliant as always. I mostly went to see Oliver as Raoul and he was lovely as before. Will has a good strong voice but I just prefer the sound of Oliver's voice. Whilst I find Will's Raoul a bit more strong and forceful, Oliver's Raoul is a bit more like the boyish Raoul I imagine from the novel. Maybe just because he's a bit younger?

And I finally got to see John Owen Jones. Wonderful voice, loved his MOTN. Can kind of understand some comments I have read about some overacting at parts but great phantom. I didn't notice with Scott or Brian, but JOJ sang the first part of PONR with an Italian accent which I thought was a good touch. I have now seen 3 different phantoms since September but cannot choose a favourite. I have different favourite scenes from all 3 times I have seen the show.

Sophia was adorable as before. I really love her voice. Her acting is maybe a bit wide-eyed a bit too often but I really liked it when she and Raoul were on the rooftop and Raoul was telling her the Phantom was all in her head and Christine told him very firmly that that was not the case!

Got a lot of understudies for the other characters. But did finally get to see Gareth Snook as André. He was very good but I really liked John Jack and Phillip Griffiths as André too. Michael Kerry was Firmin. Wasn't sure about him at first, but he was good and I like his voice. Have seen Barry James and Chris Holland as Firmin previously and liked them both a lot.Meg was Liesl Dowsett who was very good but I think Anna Forbes has that extra sweetness about her. Mdme Giry was 2nd cover Annatt Bass. She was a bit shouty more than having a stern bite, and no french accent, but she was good. Nicola Rutherford was Carlotta. She has an amazing voice and was a great Carlotta, but not quite the diva prescene as Wendy. And then Rohan was a fab Piangi as always. He's the only actor I've seen in the same role all 3 times I've seen it and I now can't imagine anyone else as Piangi.

I'm so glad I went, even if I had to battle through the Barcelona fan-filled streets of London! Now I just have to try not to go again for a while.

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon May 30, 2011 11:30 pm

ifonlyidont wrote:
Helen wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I did go on Saturday and went to the TKTs booth in Leicester square and got Stalls D6 for £40 so was rather happy with that!

It was brilliant as always. I mostly went to see Oliver as Raoul and he was lovely as before. Will has a good strong voice but I just prefer the sound of Oliver's voice. Whilst I find Will's Raoul a bit more strong and forceful, Oliver's Raoul is a bit more like the boyish Raoul I imagine from the novel. Maybe just because he's a bit younger?

And I finally got to see John Owen Jones. Wonderful voice, loved his MOTN. Can kind of understand some comments I have read about some overacting at parts but great phantom. I didn't notice with Scott or Brian, but JOJ sang the first part of PONR with an Italian accent which I thought was a good touch. I have now seen 3 different phantoms since September but cannot choose a favourite. I have different favourite scenes from all 3 times I have seen the show.

Sophia was adorable as before. I really love her voice. Her acting is maybe a bit wide-eyed a bit too often but I really liked it when she and Raoul were on the rooftop and Raoul was telling her the Phantom was all in her head and Christine told him very firmly that that was not the case!

Got a lot of understudies for the other characters. But did finally get to see Gareth Snook as André. He was very good but I really liked John Jack and Phillip Griffiths as André too. Michael Kerry was Firmin. Wasn't sure about him at first, but he was good and I like his voice. Have seen Barry James and Chris Holland as Firmin previously and liked them both a lot.Meg was Liesl Dowsett who was very good but I think Anna Forbes has that extra sweetness about her. Mdme Giry was 2nd cover Annatt Bass. She was a bit shouty more than having a stern bite, and no french accent, but she was good. Nicola Rutherford was Carlotta. She has an amazing voice and was a great Carlotta, but not quite the diva prescene as Wendy. And then Rohan was a fab Piangi as always. He's the only actor I've seen in the same role all 3 times I've seen it and I now can't imagine anyone else as Piangi.

I'm so glad I went, even if I had to battle through the Barcelona fan-filled streets of London! Now I just have to try not to go again for a while.

I'm so pleased you got a good seat. That was quite a cast you saw! I'm very jealous you got Nicola as Carlotta. I've seen her a couple of times and she's one of my favourite Carlottas. You're very lucky you've seen all 3 Phantoms, Firmins and Andres. I've wanted to see Philip Griffiths as Andre for ages. I've seen Rohan a number of times as Piangi, he's really got the role perfected. I've seen other actors, but I can't remember much about them. I'm in London next week. I must resist going.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:37 pm

West End Cast of The Phantom of the Opera Cabaret

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 pm

Vicomtesse de Chagny wrote:What? Today is just full of surprises..! I always pictured Peter as more of a Raoul type singer (Robert just isn't Phantom, you know?) but... This'll definately be interesting. Eventhough he's getting older I think he still sounds quite young, but judge for yourself.

Robert is a pretty serious role though, who starts off as a 15 year-old dreamer and dies broken, disillusioned and ill at 22 or 23. It's a pretty dramatic role in its own right, but of course younger and more subtle than the Phantom.

Phantomlove

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:07 am

Phantomlove wrote:
Vicomtesse de Chagny wrote:What? Today is just full of surprises..! I always pictured Peter as more of a Raoul type singer (Robert just isn't Phantom, you know?) but... This'll definately be interesting. Eventhough he's getting older I think he still sounds quite young, but judge for yourself.
Robert is a pretty serious role though, who starts off as a 15 year-old dreamer and dies broken, disillusioned and ill at 22 or 23. It's a pretty dramatic role in its own right, but of course younger and more subtle than the Phantom.
Yeah, but Peter Jöback pretty much played the role like a Raoul... Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am

Rohan Tickell is confirmed to be leaving and will be joining the cast of Rock of Ages!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:11 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Phantomlove wrote:
Yeah, but Peter Jöback pretty much played the role like a Raoul... Smile

Did he? It was a long time ago since I saw him as Robert, but I don't think I thought of Robert as Raoul when I saw Kristina. I saw him in The Witches of Eastwick as well, but I don't remember much of that.

Phantomlove

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 pm

starryeyed wrote:Rohan Tickell is confirmed to be leaving and will be joining the cast of Rock of Ages!

Aww, that's another of my favourites going. I'll really miss him as Piangi. I was at Phantom last night. It was a fantastic performance. Katy Treharne was Christine, all the other principals were on. Katy is probably the best Christine I've seen. I think her acting is spot on, and her voice is amazing. I really hope she returns to the show in a few years to play Christine in her own right. JOJ and Will Barratt were pretty much the same as usual. Gareth's "bring the ballet forward" bit was very funny and Barry was great as usual. Wendy Ferguson gave the best performance I've seen her give, acting wise. She was a lot funnier than usual, and made Carlotta quite sympathetic. She was also less stompy and angry than usual and her and Rohan make a fantastic Carlotta/Piangi pairing. Unfortunately, her voice wasn't as strong as it usually is. I don't think she was feeling 100%. Anna Forbes was very good as Meg. Cheryl McAvoy was excellent as Mme Giry. I love her voice, she outsang the others in Prima Donna and her acting was excellent, particularly in the second Managers scene. I hope she stays on through cast change. The ensemble were fantastic, they work really well together. I particularly liked Buquet. It was a different guy from usual. He was very creepy. A woman in the front row screamed when the first gunshot went off. Hopefully I'll be able to see this cast one more time, I like them a lot.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm so happy you managed to see Katy as Christine! I have all her dates up until her very last Christine *small sniff* if anyone wants them from here. It sounds like you saw a fabulous show. I'm so sad it's such a big cast change this year as I really do like a lot of the current cast and there's a few I've supported for years now.

My mum can't make cast change this year so we're going to go on July 12th for her last time seeing this cast, unfortunately Katy is off on holiday that week so my mum won't even be able to wish her luck, she really likes her. I'm going to go July 12th then cast change (evening performance) but other than that I think I'll leave Phantom for a while. I'm intrigued to see Peter Joback as The Phantom though.

ETA: It may have been Colin Zammit you saw as Buquet, I've seen him before and he is very creepy!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:08 pm

That's the second time I've seen Katy. She is a wonderful Christine. It might have been Colin Zammit. I liked whoever it was anyway.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:01 am

Sorry, I was thinking of Scorp who hasn't seen Katy! Well I'm glad you liked her second time round.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:58 am

Darn, you all make me wanna see katy Treharne. I definitely would like to know her performing dates this summer, though I doubt I can afford a London trip.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:32 pm

starryeyed wrote:Sorry, I was thinking of Scorp who hasn't seen Katy! Well I'm glad you liked her second time round.

I think I liked her more second time round, as I was closer, so I could see the small details of her performance better. One thing I noticed on Thursday I forgot to mention. A lot of people were taking photos of the stage before the performance and the staff didn't seem to bother. They used to go absolutely nuts at people that tried to take photos. Another thing is that I still wish they'd announce the understudies properly. Katy did a brilliant job, yet hardly anyone would have realised it was her playing Christine.

I'm so sad it's such a big cast change this year as I really do like a lot of the current cast and there's a few I've supported for years now.

Do you know who's leaving? I know about Will, Katy and Rohan. Most of my favourites will have been there two years or more in September, so I'd expect most of them will go.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 34 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next