Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love Never Dies - all views allowed

+66
AlwaysChristine
Jennie
operafantomet
NightRachel
MajesticPhantom
Melly
tromp-la-mort
charleygirl
Mme Reyer
RoseOfTransylvania
Lalilaloli
StrangerThanUDreamt
PhantomsGhost
Josephine
FeatherPen
ladygodiva
TheFinnishPhantom
marryholmes
Klavirista
Callie Daae
illegally blonde
Alyssa
PhantomAngel777
Deathshead1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Bric
davd09
LoveShouldDie
PMB1034
Loettchen
EarlFan
Riene
Miss von Krolock
Christine's Shadow
InkedAlchemist
Phantomess
MasqPhan
PhantomJT
Rebecca
Phantom on a Budget
phantomphan1992
justin-from-barbados
Lucy
HDKingsbury
operaphan
Becky
Christine_Phan
Raphael
phantom10906
Freyalise
TGITPC
Viscountess
Aled_Boyo
Phantomlove
TheMaskedLion
ML6
starryeyed
LadyCDaae
SenorSwanky
Paula74
IamErik771
Helen
Mandrake
Madame Giry
Cape Twirl of Doom
phantomgirl110
70 posters

Page 17 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next

Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 17 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  starryeyed Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:11 pm

I got one of the free tickets yes (well it actually equates to two free tickets) although I'm not sure why, as I've never tagged LND on Twitter/ Facebook or said anything remarkably positive about the show. The closest I've got was Twittering Ramin about coming in January (when I subsequently booked my tickets with that offer as it is my mum that wants to go back.)

I don't think I'm going on Monday, the super fans are going crazy over the whole thing and I'm certain we'd all be banded together and I can't sit near them. Also I am back home in Scotland for a concert on the Sunday evening and just returning to London Monday, it seems like too much of a hassle.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 17 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Helen Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 am

starryeyed wrote:I just managed to book some good stalls seats (second or third row I'm not sure which) for a Friday evening for Love Never Dies through the Get Into London Theatre offer for £35 each. Make of that what you will.

I'm thinking about booking with that offer. I haven't made my mind up yet.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 am

starryeyed wrote:
I don't think I'm going on Monday, the super fans are going crazy over the whole thing and I'm certain we'd all be banded together and I can't sit near them. Also I am back home in Scotland for a concert on the Sunday evening and just returning to London Monday, it seems like too much of a hassle.

I should think that show will be quite a love-fest, free tickets and a party of some kind.

Was anything like this ever done for Phantom of the Opera fans?
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

Helen wrote:
starryeyed wrote:I just managed to book some good stalls seats (second or third row I'm not sure which) for a Friday evening for Love Never Dies through the Get Into London Theatre offer for £35 each. Make of that what you will.

If you want to go see it January/February definitely take advantage of the offer as it seems you get the choice of (for £35) either front stalls or mid dress circle. These tickets are £67.50 each normally and there is also no booking fee, you can choose to pick the tickets up or get them posted and I don't think they even pay for posting. I'm just picking them up there.

And Bric (sorry I don't know how to quote two different posts) I'm not sure about a party, really? I mean the official "re-opening" is the Monday after so I'd expect there would be a party then. Would they really have two parties in the space of the week, but I guess there may be.

I don't believe anything similar has ever been done for Phantom fans but if you think about it... they didn't have to do it for the original in order to keep the fans talking it up did they?

ETA: Offers have been put out to the new cast.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 am

starryeyed wrote:

And Bric (sorry I don't know how to quote two different posts) I'm not sure about a party, really? I mean the official "re-opening" is the Monday after so I'd expect there would be a party then. Would they really have two parties in the space of the week, but I guess there may be.

No, I wouldn't think so. I meant the Monday fan, free-ticket event.

starryeyed wrote:I don't believe anything similar has ever been done for Phantom fans but if you think about it... they didn't have to do it for the original in order to keep the fans talking it up did they?

Nope

starryeyed wrote:ETA: Offers have been put out to the new cast.

And those potential new cast would be.......?
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:44 am

Scorp wrote:Sure, they're entitled to like those and they may all like the stage version and the original novel too, but to me even to like the sequel is surely to miss one of the key points of the original.
THIS. THIS SO MUCH.

I'm always confused when people say they genuinely love The Phantom of the Opera and Love Never Dies. As you said, they have every right to enjoy the original and the sequel at the same time, but I simply cannot imagine how they could do so on anything more than the most superficial levels because the plots are entirely contradictory. The plotline of the sequel wreaks such havoc on (i.e. completely negates) the character growth and choices made in the original that it seems to me that someone can only genuinely love the sequel if they didn't really understand the point of the original. Claiming to love both is, in my mind, akin to saying "I love everything about the original except the characters, the relationships, and the plotline, which is why I loved it when they were nearly unrecognizable in the sequel."
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:19 am

Bric I am completely board posting illiterate so I will try answer in two sections.

In regards to the fan event, there is something happening after the show though it hasn't been revealed what. I doubt it would be a party, I'd assume they'll save that for the re-opening when they have press to woo. I would expect it may be something like a Q&A or something similar perhaps, or maybe it won't really be a reward but more a "talk us up even more event." Who knows.

And in regards to casting, the people I'm aware of haven't even decided to accept yet so I wouldn't name them until it is confirmed (and I promise to let you all know when I know.) However there was quite a few previous ensemble members of Phantom who auditioned and DID NOT get a role.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:19 pm

I would expect current understudies (Mutu and Graham in particular) to take over the leads. They both have a solid fan base and seems to be good in the roles. But who knows.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:48 pm

starryeyed wrote:
Helen wrote:

If you want to go see it January/February definitely take advantage of the offer as it seems you get the choice of (for £35) either front stalls or mid dress circle. These tickets are £67.50 each normally and there is also no booking fee, you can choose to pick the tickets up or get them posted and I don't think they even pay for posting. I'm just picking them up there.

Would you recommend the stalls or the dress circle? I don't think I've been to the Adelphi before.

ETA: Offers have been put out to the new cast.

Do you know when the cast change is and when are they likely to announce new cast members?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Cast change is the 5th March. This has not been publically stated but it is definitely the cast change. The new cast members will be announced when Ramin officially announces when he is leaving though I would expect he will also leave the 5th March. He has stated March and also stated that he will be going back to Canada mid March so I'd expect him to give himself some time to leave before then leaving the country.

Personally I would recommend the stalls, though I know some people recommend the dress circle I have only heard them recommend the first few rows. I'd go for stalls if I were you. Though don't take my word for it.

And operafantomet I wouldn't be so sure (just my opinion) as ALW doesn't really like to promote understudies for some reason and I know one of the offers that's went out would mean that the current understudy may only get the role should the person offered turn it down. Not unheard of, of course. It's an extremely large cast change this year so I wonder how it will fare with an almost completely new cast.

ETA: Ramin has just confirmed he will leave the show March 5th.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:32 am

starryeyed wrote:Bric I am completely board posting illiterate so I will try answer in two sections.

In regards to the fan event, there is something happening after the show though it hasn't been revealed what. I doubt it would be a party, I'd assume they'll save that for the re-opening when they have press to woo. I would expect it may be something like a Q&A or something similar perhaps, or maybe it won't really be a reward but more a "talk us up even more event." Who knows.

You're probably right, and here I was expecting to read about champagne toasts and catered hors d'oeuvres lol!
The whole deal does most certainly look like a reward of some kind for loyal fans. Who got the invitations? Random theater-goers? People who have seen Phantom of the Opera several times but not LND? I doubt it.

starryeyed wrote:And in regards to casting, the people I'm aware of haven't even decided to accept yet so I wouldn't name them until it is confirmed (and I promise to let you all know when I know.) However there was quite a few previous ensemble members of Phantom who auditioned and DID NOT get a role.

OK, thanks.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 am

I have a question for fans who have been around for a while.

On another forum, I said that I didn't believe that RUG had ever before had such a fan event as the LND event of December 13. At that event, they had, to quote one attendee, "VIP LND passes" ("Row J, bang in the middle" another fan said), a meet and greet with the cast (minus Ramin but including Sierra) afterward, and the opportunity to meet and speak to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I could be wrong, haven't been everywhere and done everything by a long shot, but my personal experience some years back when I was one of the "lucky" fans who got one of the very limited number of tickets for the Broadway 10th anniversary show (way up in the highest balcony) was nothing like this recent event. At the 10th Anniversary, some of the cast members did a Q&A from the stage at one point; there was no personal contact with any of them, and no contact with any of the other celebs who attended. Andrew wasn't there, Cameron Macintosh was and I don't remember who else.

I've read about other similar events for Phantom fans but nothing like this LND thing.

Anybody have more information than I do?

A dedicated LND fan posted that saying RUG has never done 'fan' things for Phantom ..."is a load of rubbish. Fact."
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:16 am

Closest I can think of is that there's been occasional champagne and special brochures/playbills for the POTO anniversaries and events. But you'd have to obtain a ticket yourself, and being a mere phan would mean you ended up in the nosebleed sections, as a limited amount of tickets was for sale. Broadway's "longest running" performance comes to mind.

Then there were the recent phan gathering in Las Vegas, with a Masquerade, meeting with Hal Prince, costume presentation, backstage tour etc - but people paid quite a bit for that. And it was arranged by the Vegas team, not RUG, as far as I know.

Josefine, Gunilla and myself had a fantastic experience in Copenhagen, with a meet-and-greet, champagne, flowers and a complete backstage tour after the show. But: we paid for those tickets, it was to celebrate Josefine's 100 show, AND it was all Det Ny Teater. RUG was in no way involved. They didn't know about it before I contacted them!

And I think that is the story around the world, past and present: the theatre hosting POTO might have had special events. But these were initiated and held by the theatre/producers, without any RUG involvement. When RUG has been involved, it has usually been the grand events - anniversaries and such. And then the invited people are celebrities and big names. These were never for the phans. And it also means West End and Broadway has been excluded from fun phan events, as RUG is heavily involved in these.

I don't think free tickets, drinks, food, goodie bags and meet-and-greet has even been done by RUG in the Phantom world. I don't think they've done it for any of their musicals for that matter, eventual contests aside*. If this LND fan sits on info that proves me wrong, it would be easy enough to give us name of the musical/theatre, plus date of the event, yes?

The fact that they now think RUG is the best and kindest company ever doesn't change RUGs past.

*Exept of course the LND press launch, which included free tickets, drinks, goodie bag, presentation etc. But it wasn't a whole performance, just a presentation of what was to come. And it included pretty much the same people as the new LND event.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 am

Bric wrote:The whole deal does most certainly look like a reward of some kind for loyal fans. Who got the invitations? Random theater-goers? People who have seen Phantom of the Opera several times but not LND? I doubt it.
The participants of this show were selected because of their active support for LND, both in the online world and at the actual theatre. Some were also picked because they had been active on LND fan sites, without really being fans. Everyone but LSD people, I assume.... Laughing

And why this event? To quote one of the hard core LND fans, it was arranged by RUG "to thank us for our support". As I wrote in the LSD site: We're not talking altruism, we're talking spending the PR budget wisely. Pamper the loyal fans, and they'll call RUG "lovely" and "fantastic" and spread the word of how genius "the Lord" is and how LND is the hottest thing since sliced bread. Tit for tat, no more, no less.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:42 am

The loyal fan thing can be called into question though. I know of at least one person who had a fantastic Facebook status not too long ago about how LND would never reach the "dizzying heights" of Phantom and he didn't understand the show, it erupted into a row with a cast member of LND who subsequently deleted the person from their Facebook. Funnily enough they got tickets to last night and ta-da have subsequently raved about it on Facebook. Some people are so fickle.

Then there's the fact I was invited, I'm glad I didn't go, the constant Twittering was enough to drive me insane from home.

P.S ALW made a grand speech which referenced LSD. He's still maintaining no-one involved has seen the show.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:51 am

I've been around since 1988 and no, RUG has hardly ever done anything for the fans regarding Phantom. Some other companies in other countries involved with Phantom has, but RUG has been noted for how badly they have treated their fans. In Canada they had some nice events going on I believe and in Hamburg too and as far as I know in Japan. But those were arranged by the production companies in those countries, not RUG. Sandrews in Stockholm were nice too and of course Det Ny Teater did an amazing event for myself, Operafantomet and our friend Gunilla a year and a half ago. But RUG, no...

I remember back in the days of Phantom's tenth anniversary. Fans who had made sure to buy tickets for the anniversary show suddenly found out that the tickets weren't valid anymore. The reason for this was that RUG wanted to invite celebrities and needed the seats. Bad planning anyone? Bad PR? I would think so. Fans protested and felt cheated obviously. So RUG released some tickets for a raffle especially for fans. Where were these tickets? In the balcony if I remember correctly. I also heard that during the party for the cast and invited guests after the tenth anniversary show, RUG hadn't even bothered to invite the orchestra...

I guess RUG has woken up now rather brutally to a world where they can no longer control the information. The Internet has a life of its own and anyone can spread the word very easily, so RUG now realises that they can't go on treating the people buying loads of tickets like dirt under their feet. They have to woo them. At least in regards to LND that doesn't seem to sell very well.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:04 am

Thank you for your replies. It looks like I was correct, essentially, in saying that RUG has never had an event like the LND event.

I have a feeling that many of the devoted LND fans are rather young, comparatively, and do not remember the way RUG has been over the years and what the events they have been associated with have been like.

I would be glad to read further comments based on past experience Smile
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Just to clear up people I am NOT Danielle Ward if any of you are on Twitter.

Anyone in any doubt of this can ask Scorp, Operafantomet or Helen for proof of that fact. I'm sorry to bring what was essentially a private matter into the open but I wanted to clear this up after realising there is a Twitter user (LND fan) that I share usernames with.

And though it's no business of anyones my previous username here was Ruthy (others will contest to that too) and Starry Eyed is a song by Ellie Golding that I'm rather fond of.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 pm

starryeyed wrote:Just to clear up people I am NOT Danielle Ward if any of you are on Twitter.

Anyone in any doubt of this can ask Scorp, Operafantomet or Helen for proof of that fact. I'm sorry to bring what was essentially a private matter into the open but I wanted to clear this up after realising there is a Twitter user (LND fan) that I share usernames with.

And though it's no business of anyones my previous username here was Ruthy (others will contest to that too) and Starry Eyed is a song by Ellie Golding that I'm rather fond of.
I can contest to your identity. I can also easily find your Twitter account (which is NOT starryeyed but your actual name) and see that you use the same profile picture there as your Facebook account.

I'm guessing someone just acted in the heat of the moment. I hope they realize they were wrong and that they have the decency to apologize. If anything you've been remarkable neutral in the whole for/against LND drama. I think you're the wrong person to go after.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:42 pm

operafantomet wrote:
And why this event? To quote one of the hard core LND fans, it was arranged by RUG "to thank us for our support". As I wrote in the LSD site: We're not talking altruism, we're talking spending the PR budget wisely. Pamper the loyal fans, and they'll call RUG "lovely" and "fantastic" and spread the word of how genius "the Lord" is and how LND is the hottest thing since sliced bread. Tit for tat, no more, no less.

Essentially it's the same principle as a press junket. The lucky attendees get free stuff, VIP treatment, and a chance to talk with the cast and creative team, and the show gets some free publicity. It's an old practice, but the LND fans are mistaken if they think they're being rewarded. They're just being used.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:57 pm

[quote="operafantomet"]
starryeyed wrote:Just to clear up people I am NOT Danielle Ward if any of you are on Twitter.
. . .
I'm guessing someone just acted in the heat of the moment. I hope they realize they were wrong and that they have the decency to apologize. If anything you've been remarkable neutral in the whole for/against LND drama. I think you're the wrong person to go after.

It was my mistake,and I have apologized.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:46 pm

One of the LND fans answered my question about when and where a similar event had occurred with this:

"My cousin was invited to HM's for an event similar to last night, show, drinks and cast meet and greet."

I have asked her when this was. Does it ring any bells with any of you?
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Bric wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
. . .
It was my mistake, and I have apologized.
Kudos.

As for "a similar phan event" at Her Majesty's Theatre, I don't think they've ever given away free tickets to fans. Like, ever. Drinks and meet-and-greet alone seems more plausible, but

1. I for one has never heard about it. Drinks, yes. But official meet-the-cast session? No. Not to mention getting free tickets along with a free items. With all the long-time London fans I've known, I think some of them would have told about it? In fact, 1,5 year ago one of the truly long-timers wrote that "Wish they did things like this for phans over here..." in context of what Josefine and myself experienced in Copenhagen.

2. Drinks and meeting cast is hardly the same as being given free tickets to the show, served food and drinks, being given a goodie bag and then being introduced to ALW and the cast? I hope I don't sound bitter, as I've had my fair share of great POTO experiences in different countries, and I think the LND fans deserved last night's event.

But it annoys me that they're now praising how wonderful RUG is, given the history of the company VS fans. True, RUG is a lot better nowadays than in the past (except if they were behind the whole Timmons attack and the canceling of the second phan week in Vegas - I'm still suspicious). But trying to pretend RUG has always been cool with phans because they're pampering the LND fans is just too silly. Unless these people give me specific dates or more facts, I'm not sure I believe them.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I didn't know the second fan weekend had been cancelled. scratch

She has replied with two tweets:
_______________________________________________________________________________________
1. "It was early 90's, I shall ask her when I see her."

In response to my saying that RUG's reputation was not good she replied

2. "RUG, no one should expect. It's not their job. They produce shows, not parties."
_______________________________________________________________________________________
I think CamMac has been better to fans. It's all part of promoting the show, of course, but some common decency comes in to it---or not.

Any other shows especially good to their fans?
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19 pm

The mere fact that Webber mentioned LSD means that he's afraid of LSD and it has affected the show in some form.

Meet and greets, tea and crumpets with the cast - my butt.

When I first became a Phantom of the Opera fan back in 2002, I made sure to educate myself on what was going on with the fandom - because its something that is so global and unique than, say, a television show or a movie. It's live and it's constant.

In my findings, and from what older fans have told me, RUG has not done anything that exclusive for people that like Phantom. They're only doing it because they want good word of mouth.

Did Webber do this for Jeeves? Did Webber do this for Whistle Down the Wind? No. He's doing it because it's the sequel of the one show that allows him to live his life to the fullest. If this was any other show, he would have closed it by now. But he hasn't. He really wants the money from this show, and I think it's just blowing his mind he's not getting it.

Keep at it Webber. I'll be 30 and you'll be working on Love Never Dies 4.0
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:46 am

ML6 wrote:
. . .Did Webber do this for Jeeves? Did Webber do this for Whistle Down the Wind? No. He's doing it because it's the sequel of the one show that allows him to live his life to the fullest. If this was any other show, he would have closed it by now. But he hasn't. He really wants the money from this show, and I think it's just blowing his mind he's not getting it. . . .

I'm not sure what you mean by allowing him to live his life to the fullest, but my suspicion is that he is nearly as obsessed with LND as the Phantom was with Christine and has been obsessed since before his 50th birthday Celebration for reasons I can't understand. I think he will continue to go to GREAT lengths to keep it alive. I don't think the main motive is money. He and his investors must be pouring more money into LND than it is making back---in hopes that it will ultimately be profitable---but I still don't think money is be prime mover for ALW.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Bric wrote:
ML6 wrote:
. . .Did Webber do this for Jeeves? Did Webber do this for Whistle Down the Wind? No. He's doing it because it's the sequel of the one show that allows him to live his life to the fullest. If this was any other show, he would have closed it by now. But he hasn't. He really wants the money from this show, and I think it's just blowing his mind he's not getting it. . . .

I'm not sure what you mean by allowing him to live his life to the fullest, but my suspicion is that he is nearly as obsessed with LND as the Phantom was with Christine and has been obsessed since before his 50th birthday Celebration for reasons I can't understand. I think he will continue to go to GREAT lengths to keep it alive. I don't think the main motive is money. He and his investors must be pouring more money into LND than it is making back---in hopes that it will ultimately be profitable---but I still don't think money is be prime mover for ALW.

I do think money is an interest, but as you said not as much.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:21 pm

So... the second (or third? I have lost count...) official opening for "Love Never Dies" in London is tonight. The press is invited back to review the new versions. I'm guessing the reviews will be more favourable than in March, both because the show HAS improved, and because I think many pity Andrew Lloyd Webber at this point.

I don't think anyone will praise the show, but going from panning to neutral will be received as "the reviewers really liked the new version". I still hope the reviewers will point out that the main weak parts are as weak as ever, though.

I wonder if all papers will do a new review? I'm not able to tell whether they think this is ridiculous or the event of the year. But it's unusual, that's for sure.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:27 pm

I know some of you has pointed out similarities between "The Apartment" theme song and the LND theme song in the past. Today I actually got to listen to the former. Erm... wow. I had no idea they were SO similar! Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hRC5auJLA
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:43 am

Goodness - that seems a lot more blatant than the alleged Puccini influence in Music of the Night! Shocked

Very interesting...

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next