Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Penguin translation by Mireille Ribière

+13
Jennie
Loettchen
HDKingsbury
Riene
ghostwritten
Blind Phan
ML6
IamErik771
Madame Giry
Raphael
Phantomlove
operafantomet
Scorp
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The new Penguin translation by Mireille Ribière - Page 2 Empty Re: The new Penguin translation by Mireille Ribière

Post  Riene Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am

Scorp wrote:

At this point, it's probably worth waiting for the annotated edition to come out (not least because I get a mention or two. Razz ).
You're going to have to let us know where/when this version makes its debut, as I'd like to have one as well.
Riene
Riene

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rienerose

Back to top Go down

The new Penguin translation by Mireille Ribière - Page 2 Empty Re: The new Penguin translation by Mireille Ribière

Post  HDKingsbury Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 am

I'm just catching up on things over here. Loved reading this thread. Lots of fascinating information, and now I definitely want to get a copy of this translation...as my knowledge of French is next to nil.

And I'll second (or third?) Riene's request to keep us posted as to the publication date.
HDKingsbury
HDKingsbury

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Aaaagh, I think I'll burst soon if not someone else buy + comment upon the new translation. Are y'all going to wait for the annotated version?

Very glad me and Josephine (not Josefine) went to this presentation instead of seeing the Wst End production of Phantom, though. As much as I would love to revel in West End Phantom, the book presentation was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and I loved hearing the translator's thoughts on Leroux's novel.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Loettchen Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Sorry, Anéa, I'm waiting for the annotated version, too, although I hope it has the same cover! I really like it.

But, maybe I can answer your question about being "fleshed out?" Both the Wolf and the Lofficier English translations include that passage about Carlotta's voice in its entirety (at least, as far as you posted it). De Mattos, of course, includes not a single word of it. As for Blair, there is an abridged as well as an unabridged version, and I lent my unabridged version out, so I can't check. I don't know if that helps at all?

I do like how that passage you quoted sounds, though!
Loettchen
Loettchen

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Greetings, all! I recently got to visit Count-Alexiel Ravenswood and Sylent Phantom in San Francisco and browsed a few chapters from their copy of the new translation. I thought it was phenomenal; Ribière was clearly going for readability as well as linguistic accuracy. I'm now torn between getting the currently available edition or waiting for the annotated one. (Is there any date set on that yet?) But yes, this translation is definitely worth getting; so far, I've read de Mattos, Bair, and bits of Wolf, and Ribière's version blows them all out of the water.

Last edited by IamErik771 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:49 pm

IamErik771 wrote:Greetings, all! I recently got to visit Count-Alexiel Ravenswood and Sylent Phantom in San Francisco and browsed a few chapters from their copy of the new translation. I thought it was phenomenal; Ribière was clearly going for readability as well as linguistic accuracy. I'm now torn between getting the currently available edition or waiting for the abridged one. (Is there any date set on that yet?) But yes, this translation is definitely worth getting; so far, I've read de Mattos, Bair, and bits of Wolf, and Ribière's version blows them all out of the water.
*looks for the FB "like" button* Very Happy
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks, Anéa!

And note: the above post should read "...or waiting for the annotated one," not "abridged." I'm through with abridged versions of POTO, yes sir! Laughing
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Scorp wrote:Isabelle Husson-Casta, the French academic who's written 2 books on Le Fantôme and numerous articles, has just told me that she's actually contributed partially to Ribière's annotated edition that's due out some time this year.

[Snip - I'm scared of who's reading this thread!]

How did you get in touch with Husson-Casta? A long time ago I started doing a rough translation into English of her "Obscur-Clarté" paper because I wanted to discuss it over at phantomoftheopera.com, but got cold feet after a while, because I realized the author might object to this.... so I've abandoned it for the moment. Before I consider picking up the translation again I guess I should check with Husson-Casta if she minds...

Jennie

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Scorp mentioned that they didn't tell de Ribière about the original of the Little Lotte song.... how about someone doing that, so she can get it into the annotated edition? The discovery was made by Falluke-elskeren in 2006, she posted about it here http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6059&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=50 and I helped polish the translation little.

I think Operafantomet mentioned it first earlier in that thread, and the Falluke found the whole song in a library. I'd like that kind of information to get into an annotated edition, and the credit go to those who found it.

In fact, if de Ribière wants more background information on various aspects of Leroux' Phantom, she could actually sift through the threads in the Lair at phantomoftheopera.com for inspiration.... there's some unique stuff there.

Jennie

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Jennie wrote:Scorp mentioned that they didn't tell de Ribière about the original of the Little Lotte song.... how about someone doing that, so she can get it into the annotated edition? The discovery was made by Falluke-elskeren in 2006, she posted about it here http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6059&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=50 and I helped polish the translation little.

I think Operafantomet mentioned it first earlier in that thread, and the Falluke found the whole song in a library. I'd like that kind of information to get into an annotated edition, and the credit go to those who found it.
I found the first verse, through an old lady who knew a melody with the poem used as lyric. She was looking for the rest of the lyric, as she couldn't remember it. After my post, Falluke-elskeren tracked the poem down to the poet Andreas Munch. Whereas he/she did a great job with that, I'm a bit miffed that he/she in general gets the credit for discovering it. I'm guessing it's because the original forum I posted my info in is gone, whereas the POTO one still exist. Neutral As far as I know, no-one knew about it before I posted it, and though I'm not generally the one screaming up about who found what, that particular detail is something I would like to be credited for.

ETA: I still have one of the mails from that old lady, and they're dated March 2006. I think I posted about it online at Phantomfans.net around the same time. The email suggests the melody was composed by her school teacher "Fru Faumen" (Madame Faumen). I would still love to hear this song!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:25 pm

I understand your being miffed at not always getting full credit for the discovery.

I think I've always tried to point out that you first heard of it and that falluke then found the whole text, just as falluke said when she first posted about it:

.... Jeg fant, jeg fant…

I found the rest of operafantomets Lille Lotte song.

But people read and quote carelessly.

All the more reason for you to contact de Ribière with the story behind the discovery, don't you think?? Seriously! So you get the credit for first finding the song and that Falluke elskeren can get some credit for finding the whole text.....

Jennie

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:30 pm

Jennie wrote:I understand your being miffed at not always getting full credit for the discovery.

I think I've always tried to point out that you first heard of it and that falluke then found the whole text, just as falluke said when she first posted about it:

.... Jeg fant, jeg fant…

I found the rest of operafantomets Lille Lotte song.

But people read and quote carelessly.

All the more reason for you to contact de Ribière with the story behind the discovery, don't you think?? Seriously! So you get the credit for first finding the song and that Falluke elskeren can get some credit for finding the whole text.....
Yeah, it's more about where they find the info and how they interpret it than anything else. This is not due to you or Falluke-elskeren or specific persons, but these last years I've run across so many references to Falluke-elskeren being the one finding it, without it mentioning me. Somehow it makes me sad. It is in fact a cool discovery.

I was very close to talking with Ribière about it at the presentation, but I was heading for the airport and Pisa and didn't have time. Later on I've thought about it, but this time I guess I want to do it thoroughly. I have more research material which I'll try to write up as an article instead. And I'm guessing she would add a footnote with a reference to the poem/poet, and nothing more, but yeah somehow it should be in the book.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Please do write an article on this. Where and how would you publish it?

By doing so you would take possession of the question as it were, and then people would have to give the reference when quoting that information....

ETA: I've been thinking about how to guarantee that original research gets the credit it deserves, how to make people give credit where it's due - I guess it's by publishing things officially somehow. But I'm not a researcher or professional academic so I don't really know how this stuff works.

Jennie

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:06 am

Hey all, any word on when the Annotated edition of this translation will be available? I don't see it even for pre-order on Amazon.com yet and have been holding off getting the regular edition because I know the annotated book is forthcoming. Thanks!

~Madame~

Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:06 am

Madame Giry wrote:Hey all, any word on when the Annotated edition of this translation will be available? I don't see it even for pre-order on Amazon.com yet and have been holding off getting the regular edition because I know the annotated book is forthcoming. Thanks!
When I emailed her this summer about it, I got the feeling she is still in the middle of the working process, and that it will be due as soon as she is finished. She wrote this:

It will be some time before the annotated edition comes out, but I hope you enjoy it.

That was of course some months ago, but if nothing has been announced yet, I'm starting to doubt we'll see it on this side of the year?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:51 pm

So, still nothing on Mireille Ribière's annotated version? Neutral
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:21 am

I've not heard anything about it recently. Maybe I should ask Ribière what the latest is...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:42 pm

operafantomet wrote:When I emailed her this summer about it, I got the feeling she is still in the middle of the working process, and that it will be due as soon as she is finished. She wrote this:

It will be some time before the annotated edition comes out, but I hope you enjoy it.

That was of course some months ago, but if nothing has been announced yet, I'm starting to doubt we'll see it on this side of the year?
Quoting myself, am I the only one thinking it will be published around the 25th anniversary of the London production? If not it would surely be out by now. And seeing how much time it seems she's spent on it already, I doubt they would pay her and not release it at all. I X my fingers...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikaLeroux Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:20 am

*huge bump*

Sorry for the lack of a title { first post and wasn't aware a title was needed on this forum *insert stupid grin here* }. Anyways....... I checked Amazon US for this specific translation and it seems like all the copies { at least the ones that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum since I didn't look on the more expensive end } are all shipping all the way from England which means shipping rates would prolly shoot the cost of getting the book through the roof. Is it not being published or sold or whatever in America or can I get it shipped to me from someplace in the U.S. just apparently not Amazon? Y'all sold me on getting this copy { abridging POTO is not cool people -__- *says the girl with two abridged copies and one unabridged copy of POTO* } but I really can't afford to pay big bucks for it right now so if I can get it shipped to me from somewhere in the states that would really help. Thanks in advance! Very Happy
ErikaLeroux
ErikaLeroux

http://cafepress.com/fifthcellardesigns   erikaleroux.deviantart

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 am

Hi Erika, I've seen some copies of the book on eBay. Search for Phantom of the Opera + Leroux, and look for that red cover shows underneath. I'm sure you can get it cheaper there.

The new Penguin translation by Mireille Ribière - Page 2 Th_coverleroux3

If not, convince a local store to get a few copies for their business. Then you'll most likely only pay retail price. Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikaLeroux Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out on there. Very Happy
ErikaLeroux
ErikaLeroux

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

It looks like the second edition with the annotations is going to be released in October. You can pre-order it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141191503/ref=oss_product

I will have to write to Ribière to confirm the date of release.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikaLeroux Fri May 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Just bought a copy of this translation within the last week or two. Will post a review of it here once I get it and read it. It wouln't be a very well written review since I've never read the original French text but yeah....
ErikaLeroux
ErikaLeroux

Back to top Go down

Post  ErikaLeroux Tue May 24, 2011 4:02 am

So I ordered a copy of the book on Amazon and they ended up canceling the order because the book wasn't suitable to ship so I ended up ordering it from another seller on Amazon. Long story short I now have two copies of the book because even though the first order got cancelled they apparently still sent me a copy and I just assumed the second one I'd ordered arrived really early until I got another one today. -__- So I've contacted the people I ordered the book from the first time that canceled the order yet sent it to me anyway. If they don't end up requiring me to send it back I'll prolly end up selling one of the copies and y'all get dibs. Life has been crazy hectic recently soooo it's going to take some time for me to get through this new translation but once I do finish it I'll post what I thought about it. Very Happy
ErikaLeroux
ErikaLeroux

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue May 24, 2011 5:36 am

Scorp wrote:It looks like the second edition with the annotations is going to be released in October. You can pre-order it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0141191503/ref=oss_product

I will have to write to Ribière to confirm the date of release.
Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it. Been waiting long for it now!

ErikaLeroux, looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri May 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to getting the second edition once a release date is locked in Smile

TAFKAR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:59 pm

So yeah, I think this has been delayed again. As in till 2012. Mieux vaut tard que jamais...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Scorp wrote:So yeah, I think this has been delayed again. As in till 2012. Mieux vaut tard que jamais...

*sigh* Do you know what the hold up is, by chance?

I really might have to go ahead and order the 1st edition at this rate.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 pm

Madame Giry wrote:
Scorp wrote:So yeah, I think this has been delayed again. As in till 2012. Mieux vaut tard que jamais...

Hopefully she's come across some awesome information and want to do a research? Smile

But yeah, go and get the 1st edition. It's a great read, and it's definitely not expensive.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:

Hopefully she's come across some awesome information and want to do a research? Smile

But yeah, go and get the 1st edition. It's a great read, and it's definitely not expensive.

So by pure chance today I finally found out what the hold up has all been about. Basically, Penguin weren't happy with Ribière's introduction to the annotated 'black' edition, and hired a different academic from University College London to do the job. What would have been Ribière's introduction is here: http://www.mireilleribiere.com/the-phantom-of-the-opera/an-unsettling-unsettled-novel/ . However, the new introduction is superior (I've seen a draft but for copyright reasons can't share it with you), so it's worth the wait. The book should finally come out in another couple of months.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next