Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone read this translation?

3 posters

Go down

Has anyone read this translation? Empty Has anyone read this translation?

Post  Christina Marie Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:28 pm

I have a book Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Leroux English translation by Alexander Tiexeira de Mattos. It was published in 2010 by Dalmatian Press Classics. Has anyone read this version and how did you like it.? I'm having mixed emotions regarding this rendering.

Christina Marie

Back to top Go down

Has anyone read this translation? Empty Re: Has anyone read this translation?

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 pm

The de Mattos is (I think) the oldest English translation out there, as well as one of the most common--if you look up the book online or get a publisher's "Classics" printing of the book, odds are pretty good it will be de Mattos. The main problem with this version it that it omits huge chunks of the original book, including some of my favorite descriptive passages. It's really worth it to find a more thorough adaptation.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi Christina Marie... this is the first translation into English of Phantom, and as LadyCDaaé says it has lots missing in it. There are two quite new translations that are more complete. They are by Mireille de Ribière and by David Coward. There is some discussion about the different translations in this thread: https://desertedphans.forumotion.net/t573-handy-chart-for-identifying-translations-of-leroux you might want to check it out.

Jennie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down