Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel

+17
Mme Reyer
Madame Giry
StrangerThanUDreamt
tjacks55
PhantomsGhost
iholland95
Raphael
AlwaysChristine
Phantasma
starryeyed
jlynne5011
Paula74
Helen
HerMajesty
Amyable_Nature
Christine's Shadow
operafantomet
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Empty Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel

Post  operafantomet Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Some dislike the sequel, some like it. This thread is "the happy thread", for positive comments.

If you have negative stuff to say, or wants to discuss with people who might have a different opinion on the matter, or just want to read saucy comments, please go here:
https://desertedphans.forumotion.net/andrew-lloyd-webber-s-phantom-f1/love-never-dies-t32.htm

Remember, drunk Raoul is watching this thread, be nice or be sorry. Suspect
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Empty Re: Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel

Post  Christine's Shadow Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:06 pm

i'm happy with the casting choices. Ramin and Sierra = win.

spread the happy! *Skitters back off to the other thread*
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Empty Re: Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel

Post  Amyable_Nature Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Positive? That creepy mask/background image on the new website looks cool. The music sounds like Woman in White sort of. I like Woman in White.

I'm curious. Not going to bash it without seeing it first. So I'm probably going to hop between the negative and positive boards. I like that there is a thread that won't be all hate. I understand all sides of the argument, but it's cool that there's a thread for people who might like the show.
Amyable_Nature
Amyable_Nature

http://www.instagram.com/amyable_nature

Back to top Go down

Post  HerMajesty Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm happy with Sierra Boggess, Ramin is not good enough, although he was a truly great Raoul.

I like the new incidental music too, it's very inkeeping with the original and sounds very good. Not too keen on the new song, it's a bit Woman in White-ish for my liking.

HerMajesty

Back to top Go down

Post  Amyable_Nature Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:03 am

It sounds like it fits into Woman in White. I liked Woman in White. But this doesn't sound like it fits in with Phantom. I watched an interview in which ALW explains how he wants to use this opportunity to develop the characters more. That's really what holds my interest in this project. I'm not fully behind it yet because I'm afraid of a certain plot points, such as the probability that Christine's son is also the Phantom's son. I do have a few, tiny issues with the original musical as well. It's not totally perfect. So just because I find fault with things doesn't mean I hate it. I've seen some flops in my day and loved them anyway. I love ALW's music so chances are good I won't hate this show, even if I disagree with it's existence. What a conundrum. Neutral

I wonder...will they refer to the Phantom by name this time? Should they?
Amyable_Nature
Amyable_Nature

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Amy wrote:I'm not fully behind it yet because I'm afraid of a certain plot points, such as the probability that Christine's son is also the Phantom's son.

That's my main problem with the sequel. I have a real problem with the idea that the boy is the Phantom's son. I'm sure the score will be great, hopefully quite different from the original.

I wonder...will they refer to the Phantom by name this time? Should they?

I was wondering that too. I guess it depends on how much interaction the Phantom has with the other characters in the show and his relationships with them.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Amyable_Nature Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm

ALW already mentioned that Meg and Madame Giry are the Phantom's friends. Friends. That struck me as odd. The word "Phantom" and "friends" don't belong in the same sentence. But whatever. That's not my point. If the Girys are close to him, close enough to travel with him, they should refer to him by name, shouldn't they?
Amyable_Nature
Amyable_Nature

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:48 am

Has it been mentioned yet that there might be a big fire on stage?

I've read some speculations about it in several blogs and FB sites. Apparently Ramin Karimloo is mentioning fire on stage in one of the video blogs, and there's also something about the ruined fair and an actual fire that happened on Coney Island in 1907 ( http://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/steeplechase1.htm ). Anyone who knows more about this rumour?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:17 pm

operafantomet wrote:Has it been mentioned yet that there might be a big fire on stage?

Haven't heard anything like that, though I have heard about the actual Coney Island fire.

If they want to use real flames, there might be a little difficulty staging it on Broadway. NYC fire safety codes would be an issue. For example, I remember a lot of people complained at how small the bonfires were in the scenes in Lestat where Magnus and, later, Nicholas, destroy themselves. But someone explained that the fire safety regulations did not permit them to have more gas canisters or larger ones or to store extras on the premises. So the little fire was the largest they could make, supplemented with some projected flames.

Last edited by Paula74 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Paula74 wrote:If they want to use real flames, there might be a little difficulty staging it on Broadway. NYC fire safety codes would be an issue. For example, I remember a lot of people complained at how small the bonfires were in the scenes in Lestat where Magnus and, later, Nicholas, destroy themselves. But someone explained that the fire safety regulations did permit them to have more gas canisters or larger ones or to store extras on the premises. So the little fire was the largest they could make, supplemented with some projected flames.
That's a good point. Maybe the eventual flames are within some sort of container, so they're controlled? I dunno. But it sounds cool.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 am

operafantomet wrote:Has it been mentioned yet that there might be a big fire on stage?

I've read some speculations about it in several blogs and FB sites. Apparently Ramin Karimloo is mentioning fire on stage in one of the video blogs, and there's also something about the ruined fair and an actual fire that happened on Coney Island in 1907 ( http://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/steeplechase1.htm ). Anyone who knows more about this rumour?

I hadn't heard that rumour, but going by the track listings and preview clips, but going by the track listing, there was a song called something like "The Place Your Ruined." Perhaps that's a reference to a fire.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  jlynne5011 Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 pm

I know this is an old thread but they do make a reference in the prolouge when miss fleck says something about "ever since the fire when the master left with the boy" so i'm guessing someone (meg?) set the park on fire or something? i don't wanna give too much away since I'm not sure who all's listened to it yet...

personally i LOVE it. after buying the soundtrack...wow
and ramin is god

jlynne5011

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm

The line referencing the fire has since been removed.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Amyable_Nature Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 am

He is good and every time an old tune from the original comes up, I get chills. I listened to the whole thing through last night and since this is the FANS thread, I won't have too much to say here. But Ramin is fantastic.
Amyable_Nature
Amyable_Nature

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantasma Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:54 am

I'm personally a fan of the "Beautiful" melody. Maybe not the lyrics or the actual singing, but it's a creepy melody.
Phantasma
Phantasma

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun May 01, 2011 11:21 am

I was sceptical and the story isn´t perfect but I am happy about LND.
I like the soundtrack, the music and the voices.
The story could be stronger and better.
But I like the idea.
I hope the show will come to Hungary!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon May 30, 2011 10:57 am

For whatever it's worth, the visuals in the Aussie production looks spectacular. I think the richer look suits the musical, especially the fairground parts. I'm surprised no-one has pointed out the giant, gaping gate - it's an enlarged and twisted half mask, people! The curved forehead and the full nose is very recognizable. I'm not the only one seeing this, right?

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Love_never_dies_lead_16tc0i7-16tc0jf

That said, I think London designer Bob Crowley should get credited for what he contributed with. The original London production of LND was meant as a blueprint of Phantom. The structure of the storyline was mirrored (much of which later has been removed to let the sequel breathe on its own), and the design was meant to echo Maria Bjørnson's. It might not have been the spectacle people expected, but I believe it was well within what he was asked to make. I'm kinda pissed the blame for the London production's failure is put on Crowley, and not on the real issues of the musical - which still persists in Melbourne.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Mon May 30, 2011 4:10 pm

operafantomet wrote:I'm surprised no-one has pointed out the giant, gaping gate - it's an enlarged and twisted half mask, people! The curved forehead and the full nose is very recognizable. I'm not the only one seeing this, right?
I thought it was very obvious, myself. And if LND!Christine didn't think something was fishy with both the name of the park and THAT, then she really is an airhead.

The structure of the storyline was mirrored (much of which later has been removed to let the sequel breathe on its own), and the design was meant to echo Maria Bjørnson's.
I haven't seen all the sets from London's LND, but from what I'd heard, they were rather minimalist like Bjornson's. Which just goes to show you that she did it a LOT better.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:24 pm

I hope the show will come back, I hope it really. Phantom and LND are one for me!
I know the storyline is not the best, but the music...and so much more...
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Empty I love this show!!!

Post  iholland95 Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Here is my story. I got the tickets to see it with a friend on August 20th.

(time passes)

We get to the theater and we see the show. I love the song The Beauty Underneath. Ramin was fantastic! I got to meet the cast at stage door afterwards. It was such a great night

iholland95

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Not sure which LND I should post this in. But it looks like the show will end in Australia December 18th, according to this ad in the Sunday Age from 10-23-2011:

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Austra16

ETA. Oops. Should have looked a bit closer at the newspaper articles. Looks like it opens in Sydney in January Embarassed

Love Never Dies - for FANS of the sequel Austra17
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  tjacks55 Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:44 am

I thought that LND was good and was shocked when it closed in London! Sad

tjacks55

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:12 pm

tjacks55 wrote:I thought that LND was good and was shocked when it closed in London! Sad
I must admit I wasn't surprised it closed, as it was a huge money loss for its investors and producers. I don't think Andrew Lloyd Webber wanted to close it, but his company The Really Useful Group had been funding its run for several months instead of it making money from ticket sale. No-one can survive that. According to a newspaper article:

Love Never Dies cost £5.5 million to put on and has returned about £1.3million to investors. Its producers aren’t allowed to raise further funds to keep the show running, so the Really Useful Group has for months been funding it itself. To do so, they slashed running costs by £15,000 a week.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1391371/Love-Never-Dies--hurting.html#ixzz1cZKsZLwI

That said, you weren't the only mourning fan. I think many of its fans hopes for a revival, using the Aussie design.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 am

Luckily we will have the splendid Aussie production on DVD and BluRay this year! Im glad that Rug is releasing it as the chances of it coming to broadway seem very slim, however I've heard a Canadian tour isnt out of the question.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:00 pm

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:Luckily we will have the splendid Aussie production on DVD and BluRay this year! Im glad that Rug is releasing it as the chances of it coming to broadway seem very slim, however I've heard a Canadian tour isnt out of the question.

Funny you should say that, given the New York Post's article this morning:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/better_late_for_never_gD2CqaAJRYvenDpd39qXRK#ixzz1jmvPrNbp

Better late for ‘Never’
Lloyd Webber fights for ‘Phantom’ sequel in NY
Last Updated: 3:06 AM, January 18, 2012
Michael Riedel

BROADWAY MATINEE

When Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Love Never Dies” opened in London in March 2010, the West End Whingers, England’s most influential theater bloggers, dubbed it “Paint Never Dries.”

The musical, a sequel to Lloyd Webber’s long-running “The Phantom of the Opera,” never overcame that bitchy moniker. After just 18 months, Lloyd Webber was forced to close “Love Never Dies” at a loss of more than $10 million.

A much-ballyhooed Broadway production was also scrapped. Director Jack O’Brien (“Hairspray”), choreographer Jerry Mitchell (“Legally Blonde”) and lyricist Glenn Slater (“Sister Act”) refused to have anything further to do with the show. O’Brien sent Lloyd Webber a blistering letter blaming him for all the problems. Lloyd Webber, I’m told, refused to read it.

And that appeared to be that.

The sequel to the most successful musical in theater history was a big old flop, one that left behind a trail of acrimony.

But Lloyd Webber didn’t give up on “Love Never Dies,” mainly because he believed that his lush, melodic score was one of his best. And so he packed the show off to Australia, where he gave a new creative team — led by director Simon Phillips, who runs the Melbourne Theatre Company — carte blanche to revamp it.

They went to work and came up with a version Lloyd Webber thinks is a winner. So much so, in fact, that he and Universal teamed up to make a film of the new — and vastly improved — “Love Never Dies.”

I attended a screening a couple of weeks ago with two of Lloyd Webber’s closest confidants. We all saw the London fiasco and agreed that Phillips has done a remarkable job of clarifying the plot (it was murkier than the Thames), deepening the characters and creating a sumptuous production that evokes the spooky atmosphere of Coney Island, where the story is set.

The Phantom is running a freak show there. He lures Christine to New York from Paris, where she’s struggling to pay off husband Raul’s gambling debts, with the promise of a big payday if she’ll give just one concert. She and Raul have a child, though whether Raul is the boy’s real father is one of the plot twists.

No expense was spared on the orchestra (it sounds as if there are 100 instruments in the pit) or sound design, and so those soaring Lloyd Webber songs envelope you in a sea of melody.

The London production of “Love Never Dies” opened with a long and incomprehensible scene set on the boardwalk. The new version opens with a bang as the Phantom, seated at his organ, lets loose with “Till I Hear You Sing Once More,” one of Lloyd Webber’s best tunes.

Universal will be releasing the movie on DVD next month. Meanwhile, Lloyd Webber is hosting a couple of screenings for high-powered Broadway execs next week. He hopes the movie will spark interest in future live productions.

There are no official plans for “Love Never Dies” just yet. But if those influential insiders like what they see, the show could wind up on Broadway next season.

One strategy may be to tour it across the country before bringing it to New York. “Phantom” is the most successful touring show of all time, having grossed more than $2.4 billion in North America alone. The road, as the touring circuit is called, is desperate for new hits, since old standbys like “The Lion King” and “Mamma Mia!” are beginning to show their age. The arrival of the sequel to “Phantom” would certainly be an event in any city in the country.

Whatever path “Love Never Dies” takes, one thing is certain: A show that was once dead and buried is now very much alive.

Though I confess, I am a bit confused by the fact that ALW wants to use the Aussie LND DVD to promote a Broadway production. Doesn't the existence of a professionally filmed DVD automatically deplete the potential audience pool since curious people can simply decide to rent the DVD instead of going to the show to decide if it's worth their time/money? Hm.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm

In this day and age of Broadway not taking real risks like they used to (and made up of huge corporations), they'd rather rely on stuff audiences are already familiar with, it would make sense to have something to show B'Way producers what the show could potentially be. Plus, by the time the show gets to Broadway (if it does) then the DVD would have been out for some time allowing audiences to already be familiar with it.

Another positive review of the DVD:
http://www.whatsonstage.com/blog/theatre/london/E8831326879612/Love+Conquers+All.html

I admit. I like this show. I know all the flaws, problems, arguments against this show, and actually agree with them, but despite all that I find myself liking LND. And that didn't happen until after I heard Ben Lewis and Anna O'Byrne sing. Before that...meh. Not impressed with Ramin or Sierra in these roles. So, I'm really looking forward to this DVD out in a few weeks. alien
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:39 am

These good reviews have me very excited; While I wasnt a fan of the idea of there being a "sequel" ; I honestly feel LND is one of Webbers best scores since Phantom, and deserves to be seen on Broadway; Im glad some hope has been revived in the show.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:08 am

StrangerThanUDreamt wrote:While I wasnt a fan of the idea of there being a "sequel" ; I honestly feel LND is one of Webbers best scores since Phantom, and deserves to be seen on Broadway (...)
But I think you mentioned the core problem right there. A score doesn't deserve to be seen on Broadway. A good score deserves to be heard, but not necessarily on a theatre stage. In Australia they got good design as well, but they still lack a good libretto (story + lyrics). And the show will not survive Broadway without it, no matter the quality of the score. That's something the creators of "Chess" found out all too well. And they even had fantastic lyrics. They just never got the story right.

PhantomsGhost, I agree with your thought. This DVD will familiarize people with the show, and will not necessarily work against an eventual Broadway production. Quite the contrary. And I am positive they would add an extra trinket - a special performer, or a grand trick - which would be a major selling point. The question is whether ALW would dare go straight to Broadway, or if he would try it out in Canada/on tour first. He seem to have taken the initial bad reviews in London and Melbourne rather personally, and he knows as well as we do that the Broadway reviewers are even more harsh if they're in a bad mood.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:17 am

operafantomet wrote: ...he knows as well as we do that the Broadway reviewers are even more harsh if they're in a bad mood.

Poppycock! That would never happen... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 am

http://www.fathomevents.com/performingarts/event/loveneverdies.aspx

Love Never Dies is coming to US theatres! Feb 28th and March 7th 2012!
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next