The Red Shoes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Red Shoes

Post  Scorp on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Has anyone seen this film? What's it like? I'm currently researching the relation of myth to Phantom and I see this film referenced quite frequently. Apparently it also involves a paternal muse and a young ingénue. Worth watching at all?

_________________
In Hal Prince we trust.

Scorp

Posts : 1308
Join date : 2009-09-21

View user profile http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  AlwaysChristine on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm

Scorp wrote:Has anyone seen this film? What's it like? I'm currently researching the relation of myth to Phantom and I see this film referenced quite frequently. Apparently it also involves a paternal muse and a young ingénue. Worth watching at all?

No, but I am searching too!

AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  Paula74 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:14 am

I'd say it's worth watching. There's some good visuals...including the rather nightmarish ballet of "The Red Shoes" in the second half. And, now that you mention it, I guess there IS a sort of parallel with Lermontov (Phantom), Vicky (Christine), and Julian (Raoul).

It's funny you should mention it because I was randomly thinking last night that I ought to watch it again.

Growing up, a family member often recommended it to me and, for some reason, I resisted seeing it...even though I liked ballets and the original Andersen story. I actually didn't see the movie until after I'd seen a poor quality recording of the Broadway adaptation (which had a lot of potential, a couple of nice songs, but was terrible..."opened on Thursday, got the notice on Friday, closed on Sunday.")

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  AlwaysChristine on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am

Paula74 wrote:I'd say it's worth watching. There's some good visuals...including the rather nightmarish ballet of "The Red Shoes" in the second half. And, now that you mention it, I guess there IS a sort of parallel with Lermontov (Phantom), Vicky (Christine), and Julian (Raoul).

It's funny you should mention it because I was randomly thinking last night that I ought to watch it again.

Growing up, a family member often recommended it to me and, for some reason, I resisted seeing it...even though I liked ballets and the original Andersen story. I actually didn't see the movie until after I'd seen a poor quality recording of the Broadway adaptation (which had a lot of potential, a couple of nice songs, but was terrible..."opened on Thursday, got the notice on Friday, closed on Sunday.")

Steve Barton played in "The Red Shoes", right?

AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  Paula74 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

SweetChristine wrote:
Steve Barton played in "The Red Shoes", right?

Yes, he replaced Roger Rees during the previews. I've never heard exactly why Rees was replaced, but there were so many problems during rehearsals with people quitting, people being fired (Tim Jerome was one), or with the director trying to force people not to perform on days when the investors or producers were present. So Steve Barton took over the role of Lermontov after Rees left.

Paula74

Posts : 626
Join date : 2009-09-22
Age : 42
Location : Monsieur Madeleine's office

View user profile http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  AlwaysChristine on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Paula74 wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:
Steve Barton played in "The Red Shoes", right?

Yes, he replaced Roger Rees during the previews. I've never heard exactly why Rees was replaced, but there were so many problems during rehearsals with people quitting, people being fired (Tim Jerome was one), or with the director trying to force people not to perform on days when the investors or producers were present. So Steve Barton took over the role of Lermontov after Rees left.

Thank you, he played so many great roles! So many...!
I hope I find something to the Red Shoes.


AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  ML6 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 am

Scorp! I told you about this film and how I got it for Christmas.

Anyway, I loved it. Not only is it gorgeous, but the characters are very interesting. The 'Red Shoes' ballet was amazing. Black Swan can eat its heart out.

ML6

Posts : 873
Join date : 2009-10-28
Age : 28
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  AlwaysChristine on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I ordered the film by amazon. I am very excited.

The Red Shoes has a really interesting story and is phantomlike.

AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  AlwaysChristine on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm

I´ve seen the movie..great, really great and so touching. So tragic..

AlwaysChristine

Posts : 382
Join date : 2011-05-01
Age : 37
Location : Austria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  ML6 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:43 pm

SweetChristine wrote:I´ve seen the movie..great, really great and so touching. So tragic..

I know, the ending was very sad. Sad

ML6

Posts : 873
Join date : 2009-10-28
Age : 28
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  meglett on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm

It was one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. It was one of the few "ballet" movies out. Wink

meglett

Posts : 98
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 33

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Red Shoes

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:14 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum