Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Red Shoes

5 posters

Go down

The Red Shoes Empty The Red Shoes

Post  Scorp Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Has anyone seen this film? What's it like? I'm currently researching the relation of myth to Phantom and I see this film referenced quite frequently. Apparently it also involves a paternal muse and a young ingénue. Worth watching at all?
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

The Red Shoes Empty Re: The Red Shoes

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm

Scorp wrote:Has anyone seen this film? What's it like? I'm currently researching the relation of myth to Phantom and I see this film referenced quite frequently. Apparently it also involves a paternal muse and a young ingénue. Worth watching at all?

No, but I am searching too!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:14 am

I'd say it's worth watching. There's some good visuals...including the rather nightmarish ballet of "The Red Shoes" in the second half. And, now that you mention it, I guess there IS a sort of parallel with Lermontov (Phantom), Vicky (Christine), and Julian (Raoul).

It's funny you should mention it because I was randomly thinking last night that I ought to watch it again.

Growing up, a family member often recommended it to me and, for some reason, I resisted seeing it...even though I liked ballets and the original Andersen story. I actually didn't see the movie until after I'd seen a poor quality recording of the Broadway adaptation (which had a lot of potential, a couple of nice songs, but was terrible..."opened on Thursday, got the notice on Friday, closed on Sunday.")
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am

Paula74 wrote:I'd say it's worth watching. There's some good visuals...including the rather nightmarish ballet of "The Red Shoes" in the second half. And, now that you mention it, I guess there IS a sort of parallel with Lermontov (Phantom), Vicky (Christine), and Julian (Raoul).

It's funny you should mention it because I was randomly thinking last night that I ought to watch it again.

Growing up, a family member often recommended it to me and, for some reason, I resisted seeing it...even though I liked ballets and the original Andersen story. I actually didn't see the movie until after I'd seen a poor quality recording of the Broadway adaptation (which had a lot of potential, a couple of nice songs, but was terrible..."opened on Thursday, got the notice on Friday, closed on Sunday.")

Steve Barton played in "The Red Shoes", right?
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:01 pm

SweetChristine wrote:

Yes, he replaced Roger Rees during the previews. I've never heard exactly why Rees was replaced, but there were so many problems during rehearsals with people quitting, people being fired (Tim Jerome was one), or with the director trying to force people not to perform on days when the investors or producers were present. So Steve Barton took over the role of Lermontov after Rees left.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Paula74 wrote:
SweetChristine wrote:

Yes, he replaced Roger Rees during the previews. I've never heard exactly why Rees was replaced, but there were so many problems during rehearsals with people quitting, people being fired (Tim Jerome was one), or with the director trying to force people not to perform on days when the investors or producers were present. So Steve Barton took over the role of Lermontov after Rees left.

Thank you, he played so many great roles! So many...!
I hope I find something to the Red Shoes.

AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:38 am

Scorp! I told you about this film and how I got it for Christmas.

Anyway, I loved it. Not only is it gorgeous, but the characters are very interesting. The 'Red Shoes' ballet was amazing. Black Swan can eat its heart out.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I ordered the film by amazon. I am very excited.

The Red Shoes has a really interesting story and is phantomlike.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 pm

I´ve seen the movie..great, really great and so touching. So tragic..
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:43 pm

SweetChristine wrote:I´ve seen the movie..great, really great and so touching. So tragic..

I know, the ending was very sad. Sad
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:04 pm

It was one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. It was one of the few "ballet" movies out. Wink
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down