Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

+53
mona lisa
Masqueradelove
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
purplehaze93
Copycat
tiawhitecat
Becky
Paula74
HerMajesty
harryzing
ette
tromp-la-mort
Callie Daae
ravnquest1
Bric
EarlFan
Viscountess
meglett
justin1976
TheFinnishPhantom
charleygirl
ifonlyidont
StrangerThanUDreamt
AlwaysChristine
London-Phan
Madame Giry
Raphael
TheMaskedLion
Helen
MasqPhan
Phantom on a Budget
PhantomsGhost
Bunvendor
starryeyed
Aled_Boyo
PridePhan
ladygodiva
Miss von Krolock
BradPhan
MajesticPhantom
MaskedLion
IamErik771
Phantomlove
Devon
SenorSwanky
PMB1034
LadyCDaae
ML6
Scorp
operafantomet
Lycanthrope
justin-from-barbados
phantom10906
57 posters

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 8 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  starryeyed Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Sorry guys, the chandelier WILL fall it just doesn't at the moment and may not at all this week. Something to do with the rigging apparently.

Now here is a blog from the dress rehearsal this afternoon, if you want spoilers then click here if you don't, well don't click!

It should probably be noted as it is still previews there could be changes and what this person has seen in the dress rehearsal may not be the finished, definite, show.

ETA: And it appears they've effectively killed MOTN for me. I've never liked it (bad fan I know) but it seems they've made it a whole lot worse...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 8 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:09 pm

Glad to know we wont be denied a shattered chandelier, lol. I did read the review...for the most part sounds promising, I wont post spoilers but I will say I'm not a fan of the Masquerade change OR the changed ending...but it is only in preview so it could change.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm

starryeyed wrote:Sorry guys, the chandelier WILL fall it just doesn't at the moment and may not at all this week. Something to do with the rigging apparently.

Now here is a blog from the dress rehearsal this afternoon, if you want spoilers then click here if you don't, well don't click!

It should probably be noted as it is still previews there could be changes and what this person has seen in the dress rehearsal may not be the finished, definite, show.

ETA: And it appears they've effectively killed MOTN for me. I've never liked it (bad fan I know) but it seems they've made it a whole lot worse...

I've read the first half of the blog but probably shouldn't as it's ruined any surprises! But as I won't be seeing it until October there's no way I couldn't have heard about it before. Some of the changes sound interesting and some...random. Still excited to see it though.

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:13 pm

NO RED DEATH COSTUME?????
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm

operafantomet wrote:NO RED DEATH COSTUME?????
I KNOWW!!! Personally, I'm a bit depressed. Wandering child: Phantom enters stage right? Hardly creative. Then there is the lack of masquerade staircase, MOTN (What is going on there?) and it sounds like there is no proscenium. Some of the other changes seem fine, but I really don't know. I'm seeing it on the 7th April in Manchester. I hope that some of these things are only in the previews.
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Overall it sounds intriguing. There are some changes that made me go "meeeeh", but only a few things that made me want to rip my hair out. MOTN is one of these though. From the review it sounds like a major anti climax after the apparently cool boat scene. MOTN sounds like it needs a serious dose of Gillian Lynne...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Some of the ideas sound pretty cool (the title song sounds amazing), some a lot less so (blah MOTN, no Red Death--although I do kind of like the idea of the Phantom stalking Christine during the dance sequence). I'm interested to see how it plays out.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:35 pm

SPOILER ALERT:

Some of that (the ballet dressing room) seems logical, and the descent to the lair seems like it could be cool, but if you think MOTN is ruined, what about STYDI? WTF? This reviewer has weird taste though; not sure the manager's office being "garish and red" is better than the awesome set from the original. No Red Death costume?! And he just walks onto stage for Wandering Child? Maybe that's supposed to be different, but they haven't perfected it in rehearsals yet. Not sure how I feel about that ending. I certainly was getting the sense from the auction and this that they're changing things for LND.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  meglett Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm

The title song sounds like what Maria wanted in the first place. I can't quite visualize the Masquerade, but it's interesting that they added a different part of the Paris Opera House for that scene. I'm intrigued to hear more about this production as it works the kinks out during previews.
meglett
meglett

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Whoa. I just read that review. I don't know what to think. Maybe it all looks better than it sounds?

No red death costume? WTF? scratch

Foreshadowing for LND it sounds like for some of that stuff, especially the ending... Suspect

PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I agree with some other members of the board; it may look better than it sounds. I'll see it it if better when I see it in manchester. I'm hoping that A: Red Death will appear, and the lack of it may be preview related, B: they fix the mirror and chandelier and C: the Phantom's entry in wandering child is developed. I've calmed down somewhat since my earlier comment (the lack of red death threw me into a frenzy!) and I'm a bit more optimistic now. I'm still not pleased with MOTN and The lack of masquerade staricase, but that lair journey sounds pretty awesome. They talked about having levitating candles; what about the the candelabras? And also, the pyrotechnics? The idea of the firecane and the flash pots in wandering child at the same level as the cast seems quite odd to me. And if they are not going to crash the chandelier for a while, what is this amazing thingy? So many questions...
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Hope the Phantom being on stage level doesn't mean a stupid sword fight. Rolling Eyes
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm

meglett wrote:The title song sounds like what Maria wanted in the first place. I can't quite visualize the Masquerade, but it's interesting that they added a different part of the Paris Opera House for that scene. I'm intrigued to hear more about this production as it works the kinks out during previews.
I agree, I immediately got the vision of her sketch for the boat scene. Especially the floating candles. But the original boat scene also seems close to her vision, according to an interview she did in 1988. The rising candelabras and the mist, the candles, the drapes and the organ was all elements people would recognize in their "collective subconsciousness" about rites and sex. She ends the interview with saying that

"But I don't want the audience to think at all about any of this. I just want them to feel it".

I think this was a key issue when the 2004 movie was released. Many pointed out how sexed up the movie was, and other pointed out that the stage version was just as sexual. But no-one could really tell why those two differed, and how. According to the designer, it's in the design, but the whole point is that you can't pinpoint it to one detail or one movement. You just.... feel it, just like she intended. Seems like the new tour didn't quite manage to add that to the MOTN/STYDI scene.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Hope the Phantom being on stage level doesn't mean a stupid sword fight. Rolling Eyes
Oh God... affraid Unless the sword shoots fire!! Joking... that would be equally shocking...
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:59 pm

SPOILER:

Spoiler:
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:SPOILER ALERT:

Some of that (the ballet dressing room) seems logical, and the descent to the lair seems like it could be cool, but if you think MOTN is ruined, what about STYDI? WTF? This reviewer has weird taste though; not sure the manager's office being "garish and red" is better than the awesome set from the original. No Red Death costume?! And he just walks onto stage for Wandering Child? Maybe that's supposed to be different, but they haven't perfected it in rehearsals yet. Not sure how I feel about that ending. I certainly was getting the sense from the auction and this that they're changing things for LND.

Yeah, it does seem like for every change that makes sense (of course Giry would be more infirm than Raoul in whenever-the-heck-the-auction-is-taking-place-these-days) there's one that really doesn't (the Phantom going about unmasked with Christine in the room, even if she's sleeping? Sorry, wouldn't happen). And I'm really not crazy about them trying to retrofit LND into things, especially since it seems increasingly fated to pass into merciful obscurity.

I don't know. I guess I keep waiting for this musical's equivalent of the 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries, or the Trevor Nunn revival of Oklahoma!--something that makes me say "This isn't just why I fell in love with the show, it's giving me a whole new reason to fall in love all over again." The movie and the RAH concert couldn't manage it, I was hoping this would do it but it looks like it might not happen. I'm starting to wonder if it ever will. Sad

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 pm

I knew the staging and set would be very different but thought the costume were going to be the same, so I'm very disappointed about there being one Red Death costume. I wonder how the mask and deformity looks? I presume they have sculpted a new mask.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, maybe no Red Death is better than a version of movie!Red Death... tongue
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm seriously praying that the costume was somehow just not ready in time for that performance and he'll have it for the actual show.
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:08 pm

I shall be in mourning if anyone needs me.... Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Some thoughts after reading that blog.

Spoiler:
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Wow sounds interesting, I must see the Phantom! I must! Very Happy
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Sorry SenorSwanky, you are right, STYDI also is a bit "wtf" in terms of changes but I picked out MOTN purely because it is the one point in the original I don't like and when JOJ had first rehearsed it and was all "MOTN is so awesome" I got my hopes up that perhaps it was changed for the better.

I'll see for myself on 19th April, I hope there's some more changes and that some things just weren't ready for the open dress rehearsal.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:44 pm

I really wish I could see the show for myself. I went ahead and read the review because I won't get the chance to unless it comes here in coming years. By that time, I'll have already known what the changes are anyway. If I were going to see it soon, I'd have want to have been surprised.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:22 am

For those complaining about the Phantom's entrance for Wandering Child, I would just like to point out that the blogger updated her review and noted that in the evening performance the Phantom hid behind the Angel statue during Wishing and emerged from behind it. He didn't just walk on from stage left. Smile

I'm also thinking that given the new approach to Masquerade where the Phantom is present and stalking Christine throughout, it might have necessitated a total redesign of the Red Death costume (or its equivalent) to allow for more maneuverability for dancing among the crowd. It just might not have been ready for the previews. Of course, this is pure speculation - but I'd like to believe that's the case, as others have suggested.

I disagree with some of the other changes but hope that things will be 'fixed' or at least addressed before official opening night.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 am

Madame Giry wrote:For those complaining about the Phantom's entrance for Wandering Child, I would just like to point out that the blogger updated her review and noted that in the evening performance the Phantom hid behind the Angel statue during Wishing and emerged from behind it. He didn't just walk on from stage left. Smile

I'm also thinking that given the new approach to Masquerade where the Phantom is present and stalking Christine throughout, it might have necessitated a total redesign of the Red Death costume (or its equivalent) to allow for more maneuverability for dancing among the crowd. It just might not have been ready for the previews. Of course, this is pure speculation - but I'd like to believe that's the case, as others have suggested.

I disagree with some of the other changes but hope that things will be 'fixed' or at least addressed before official opening night.

~Madame~

When is the official night?

I see we will talk much about the new version! Very Happy
I can´t sit here....I must book tickets...!
I´ll see how much courage they have to change some things we all know so well.
I like to see new ways...maybe it´s good or not...!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:10 am

I can't get as excited as some of you about the lack of a Red Death costume although I will miss it if this tour comes to the US. It's "Music of the Night" and what does and does not happen in that scene that seems incredible to me and a series of very bad choices.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am

Bric wrote:I can't get as excited as some of you about the lack of a Red Death costume although I will miss it if this tour comes to the US. It's "Music of the Night" and what does and does not happen in that scene that seems incredible to me and a series of very bad choices.

I think some of you becoming disappointed with the new production.
Maybe...!

I am excited to read, hear and see about the new show.
I hope that we can see soon a sovenir brochure and new photos.

I remember as I´ve seen the new version in hungary. The very first time it was strange, but the second time was so great
and now I love it...! Maybe the same could happen with that..
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Pictures of the chandelier and the red curtain here:

http://www.phantomoftheopera.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=695616#forumpost695616

Curtain: lovely. Chandelier: yaaaawn.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Ugh, I hate that chandelier. Why would you not just copy the actual Garnier one if you want to be at least slightly different from the original production? Now it looks like it belongs in Dynasty or something. More 1970s than 1870s.

And what is that mirror on the stage reflecting everything?

Also, what scene is that curtain in? I hope not the auction.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 25  Next