Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th anniversary celebrations

+66
Phantomess
StrangerThanUDreamt
RatSalsa
PridePhan
PorteƱa
vmkwinner
Molina
Becky
TheFinnishPhantom
Viscountess
tmarucci
Paula74
eriklefantome
phantomphan1992
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
BradPhan
Phantour
Amberly_Nichole
Bunvendor
alaron4
ChristineDaae1982
Freyalise
Mandrake
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
tiawhitecat
justin1976
ravnquest1
AlwaysChristine
auctioneer
Callie Daae
ette
Blind Phan
PhantomsGhost
phantom10906
Bric
Josephine
moaja
justin-from-barbados
Lycanthrope
Miss von Krolock
MaskedLion
MasqPhan
ifonlyidont
LadyCDaae
CountessDeChangy
Helen
TrapDoorLurker
starryeyed
Cape Twirl of Doom
operafantomet
Madame Giry
EarlFan
Aled_Boyo
MajesticPhantom
IamErik771
Mme Reyer
Phantomlove
ladygodiva
Rebecca
PhantomJT
ML6
Raphael
PMB1034
SenorSwanky
Scorp
70 posters

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th anniversary celebrations Empty 25th anniversary celebrations

Post  Scorp Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:19 pm

It's a long shot given the tendencies of the past (I needn't remind everyone of the disaster of the 10th anniversary)...but there's no harm in trying to get something to happen.

For those who haven't, watch this Cameron Mackintosh-produced trailer for the celebrations this year concerning Les Mis, then I dare you to tell me you wouldn't want something similar to happen for the most financially successful entertainment venture of all time... Wink http://25.lesmis.com/gallery/

What is the best way to rack up publicity for the fan demand for a major event and to put a little bit of well-intentioned fan pressure on Cameron Mackintosh and RUG? Letter writing? Set up a Facebook group and hope the producers take as much notice of it as they did of LSD? We should get the ball rolling soon...

Last edited by Scorp on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

25th anniversary celebrations Empty Re: 25th anniversary celebrations

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. A few people can visibly and cheaply start a viral movement. Letters get ignored, but creative social media gets media coverage and looks better and bigger than it really is (though sometimes viral movements are really very big).

I wouldn't want them to have a celebrity cast do a concert of Phantom, but they should do something big and reverent for the 25th.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 am

You're right the Les Mis 25th is incredible....international tour, new cast recording, o2 Concert, special guest appearances at the Queens...surely Phantom is due a little of that attention too. Personally I would adore hearing Phantom in concert. One of the best things about that movie was hearing a huge orchestra going to work on the score, sadly the vocals let it down for me. I wouldn't be opposed to a 'celebrity cast' if it gets bums on seats (although I'd prefer a 'dream cast' scenario) as long as they can sing it WELL. They could televise/release it on DVD like the Chess concert. The possibilities to mine it are endless and as an insatiable fan I would lap it up! While it'll probably be an uphill struggle, it's definitely worth a united effort.

Actually that reminds me of an idea I had some time ago...in the abscence of a tour, which I assume is no longer economically viable in the current climate, what about a concert tour of Phantom? Performed at regional venues like the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. That way the Hal Prince legend is intact but fans unable to make it to London could at least hear the work performed?

PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Social networking really seems to be the way to go nowadays - few people take the time to write an actual letter anymore, while Facebook, Twitter, and blogs are ingrained into their online habits. It's also a lot easier to get the announcement out to a lot of people at once.

I'm all for some sort of big anniversary event(s) for the 25th anniversary. Whatever the medium chosen of the campaign, as long as it's kept upbeat and positive, it should find the right kind of attention.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:02 pm

I'd love for something to happen. I had this idea kicking around in my head that each of the major songs are sung by a certain duo throughout the 25 years of Phantom. Like a concert, if you shall call it. I do think that Crawford and Brightman should get dibs on the title song. And then other casts that were famous throughout history should also get dibs on other songs (like All I Ask of You, Masquerade, Wishing, etc.)

If LSD could do something with the Phantom sequel, who's to say we couldn't get attention with something for Phantom? I'm pretty definate that something can happen if we all group together and form our resources.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomJT Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:00 pm

I agree - social networking has a huge impact these days and probably your best bet. I'd be happy to support anything that comes up. Smile Although given the track record of anniversary celebrations for Phantom, they tend to upset phans due to the lack of details available until the last minute and put us phans second last. If LIVENT was still around they'd have the best anniversary events and be sure to invite Phans around for feedback before planning. RUG would be turning over a new leaf if they looked to us Phans for feedback. I'm ready to provide! Smile

PhantomJT
PhantomJT
PhantomJT

http://www.twitter.com/jeffreytimmons

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:19 pm

I'd be happy to put my support behind any push for a big 25th anniversary celebration. Phantom is more than deserving of it, and it could be completely amazing.

That being said, I feel I'm kind of going to echo Jeff sentiments on this one. And this is partly coming from my own perspective and recent experiences - obviously. The PTB (and by this I mostly mean RUG) don't have the most tremendous track record for surprising phans in a happy way. Other production companies - Livent, LV, etc. have done some really awesome stuff. I'd hope we can manage to put enough pressure on them to get them to listen and put something special together.

However, if they don't pull through (and that could happen, realistically) I don't think we should let it keep us down. Sure, they have a lot more money and power than we do. But really, folks, as a fandom we've been around for awhile. We're a mature, experienced group. We don't have to wait for the PTB to do something for us - because in many cases we'd be waiting forever. We all have enough life experience that, collectively, if WE all decided that WE want to do something special for the 25th anniversary then we could! No, I'm not saying we could get them to put on a concert or what have you, but if you want to put together something special to celebrate the milestone anniversary than we CAN. Book a ballroom, invite the cast, get the papers involved, get folks to sponsor, throw in little gifts or whatever for attendees.... yes, it's work, but it's far from impossible. I'm not saying do that plan exactly, just trying to make a point that we don't have to wait for anyone to make something special happen. We're all perfectly capable of doing that ourselves!

Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't try to make RUG understand that there's totally a market out there for something spectacular. There is, even beyond us phans. This is a historical, record breaking, land mark show. More people than just us phans are going to be interested in the 25th anniversary, I would think. If RUG does jump on this, then awesome! Count me in to help out in any way possible! But if they drag their feet and don't respond, well..... I say don't let 'em ruin the party for us.
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:30 am

This is a good point, Rebecca. We could always do something ourselves.

Social networking it is, then, although I think I would like to write a letter in addition, just to make sure that the powers-that-be are actually aware of the group. I don't think any such group would get the same attention as LSD for a variety of reasons. I suppose one could always ask the LSD people to help us out and link to anything we come up with, as well as all the other Phantom-related Facebook groups. Maybe a website stating the objective and making comparisons to the Miz celebrations with a news section to put a bit of pressure on the producers to come up with something satisfying?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:19 am

Scorp wrote:I suppose one could always ask the LSD people to help us out and link to anything we come up with, as well as all the other Phantom-related Facebook groups.

I would recommend caution in that regard, RUG aren't exactly fond of LSD; wouldn't it be better to be a completely separate positive entity? I doubt the powers that be would be amenable to any group even remotely affiliated with LSD, no matter how tenuous the link - don't want to annoy them! Just my two cents.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:04 am

Oh no, I agree entirely; I didn't mean affiliating this with LSD at all, simply getting the team behind it to post the link to any group we create just because it seems to be one of the larger conglomerations of fans out there, but likewise with any other Phantom-related group. I do agree though that this should be about positivity all the way.

If we manage to put up a website, maybe we'd need a bit of artwork since we can't use the RUG copyrighted mask logo. Anyone here able to come up with something nice and fitting?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 am

Scorp, a letter might be a good way to introduce the Powers That Be to the group since -- as you implied -- it won't have the same sort of polarizing quality that will attract the press.

A website/social networking group seems the way to go, then it's just up to the participants to promote it. If I can contribute my skills in any way, I'd be happy to.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

25th anniversary celebrations Empty 25th anniversary

Post  ladygodiva Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:06 am

I will join in your crusade, also can we also throw into this crusade to persuade RUG and Cam Mackintosh to release the BBC Behind the Mask, that would be incredibly lovely. I am with you and good Ideas everyone good show

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:30 pm

You should probably speak to the BBC about a possible release of the "Behind the Mask" documentary since it's their decision and not RUG:s. I would love to have it on DVD though.

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mme Reyer Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:41 pm

25th celebration sounds great, since they did NOTHING for the 20th (and I was there)! Still miffed about it!!
Mme Reyer
Mme Reyer

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 am

I'm definitely in favor of this idea as well. I agree with the need to keep things positive, and certainly viral marketing can put us in a much better position to make a difference than simply writing letters or creating an online petition. (And certainly, if RUG still doesn't budge, we can create our own event.) Other than that... I'm eager to see what ideas everyone comes up with. Very Happy
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

(New on Phantom boards now, but between 2002-2006 as a young teenager, I was very active under a different username....in an uncreative way, I called myself by my given Christian name!)

It really would be a travesty if the 25th Anniversary were not marked. Phantom has obviously had a huge impact on culture around the world, and the show is what inspired me to study to be an actor (which is what I am in college/university at the moment to do!). This show is my number one, and seeing it over and over again is never a question, especially more so for many here who have had more opportunity.

SPECULATION:
October 9, 2011 (the 25th Anniversary) is on a Sunday. Because this is usually a dark day, there is the possibility that they will host a special gala performance that night. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if pretty much the entire theatre was put on reserve to invitees, and they sold the balcony of Her Majesty's to the phans (sort of like when the Broadway production became the longest run show...via a contest, they released the last rows of the Rear Mezzanine to the phans).

I'll be living in London at that time to study, so my fingers are crossed that the show that literally changed my life when I was 5 (15 years ago) will receive a celebration that I and so many others can feel a part of.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am

Mme Reyer wrote:25th celebration sounds great, since they did NOTHING for the 20th (and I was there)! Still miffed about it!!

Where? The 20th wasn't that bad in London. The fans were allowed to attend, we got given free champagne, and ALW, Gillian Lynne, Charles Hart, Richard Stilgoe and Andrew Bridge all made an appearance. By normal standards it's a miracle we got to attend!

Who wants to set the ball rolling with this? And how? Facebook page?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 pm

I suggest assembling a team so all the necessary talents/skills are covered. As for where to begin, Facebook seems the best option.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aled_Boyo Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Great idea, guys! Phantom truly deserves the recognition, even more than Les Mis in my opinion. It's far more iconic - those opening chords, that bassline, the chandelier, the romance, the tragedy... For 25 years, Phantom has been the heart and soul of musical theatre, so let's do this Very Happy

I will get involved in any way possible!
Aled_Boyo
Aled_Boyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mme Reyer Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Scorp wrote:
Mme Reyer wrote:25th celebration sounds great, since they did NOTHING for the 20th (and I was there)! Still miffed about it!!

Where? The 20th wasn't that bad in London. The fans were allowed to attend, we got given free champagne, and ALW, Gillian Lynne, Charles Hart, Richard Stilgoe and Andrew Bridge all made an appearance. By normal standards it's a miracle we got to attend!

Who wants to set the ball rolling with this? And how? Facebook page?

Broadway's 20th--January 2008. Very disappointing.
Mme Reyer
Mme Reyer

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:52 pm

Tell me what you need me to do and I'll do it.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:59 pm

The forthcoming competition re the 10,000th performance in London is described by RUG on their site as the first of the "celebrations" surrounding the 25th anniversary year. Maybe they do actually have something planned after all...?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm sure that to 'tempt fans to the dark side (LND)', we're going to be getting a lot of 'bending over' to appease fans.

I got my fingers crossed. That I do.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm

Scorp wrote: Maybe they do actually have something planned after all...?
Fingers crossed it's something really good. Very Happy
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 am

I've got some news! Phantom's now booking until October 2011, so I checked out the availability for the anniversary weekend. The performances on 7th, 8th and 10th (remember 9th is a Sunday) October are blocked...which obviously means something's up. That said, they may just withhold the tickets for those performances now and then decide to release them at a later date (that's what they did for the 9th October 2006 for the 20th anniversary). We therefore need to keep checking this page to see if tickets eventually get released... http://www.seetickets.com/Tour/PHANTOM-OF-THE-OPERA/Calendar/14
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:24 pm

If they're blocking three whole days, then yes, something is certainly going on.

I predict something insanely epic and amazing.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:19 am

I truly hope that whatever it is they decide to do, it is fabulous, and at least to some extent, open to the Phantom-loving public. A private by-invitation-only event would be very disappointing indeed. And please, for the love of God, let's have some decent advanced notice! You can't seriously expect fans to book it to NYC to hang out in front of the theatre to show their support when you only announce it the night before! (Bway 20th anniversary, I'm looking at YOU!)

Do you think there'd be a corresponding 25th anniversary party in New York in 2012? Or would the 25th in London be the Big One?

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:45 am

Madame Giry wrote:I truly hope that whatever it is they decide to do, it is fabulous, and at least to some extent, open to the Phantom-loving public. A private by-invitation-only event would be very disappointing indeed. And please, for the love of God, let's have some decent advanced notice! You can't seriously expect fans to book it to NYC to hang out in front of the theatre to show their support when you only announce it the night before! (Bway 20th anniversary, I'm looking at YOU!)

Do you think there'd be a corresponding 25th anniversary party in New York in 2012? Or would the 25th in London be the Big One?

~Madame~
Considering Broadway have always been a tad better with anniversaries and celebrations, I would expect them to try and top the London event, whatever it might be... Smile

Like you, I seriously hope this is one when phans are not just invited, but actually wanted to participate. It's a good sign they're blocking off several days, isn't it? I'm Xing my fingers!!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Madame Giry wrote:I truly hope that whatever it is they decide to do, it is fabulous, and at least to some extent, open to the Phantom-loving public. A private by-invitation-only event would be very disappointing indeed. And please, for the love of God, let's have some decent advanced notice! You can't seriously expect fans to book it to NYC to hang out in front of the theatre to show their support when you only announce it the night before! (Bway 20th anniversary, I'm looking at YOU!)

~Madame~
There might be something, though unless I am mistaken haven't all the other milestones only been celebrated in private by the cast & crew? The record-breaking performance was the only big public spectacle, no? It's also coming up on the 10,000th performance. (9433 so far.)
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:38 pm

So we're now into the anniversary year, anybody heard any anniversary related chatter?
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next