Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + US tour

+62
AngelOfMusic325
Bunvendor
Perdita X. Nitt
Blaidd_Drwg
Phantomlove
ifonlyidont
Devon
PhantomsGhost
Liza1013
Amyable_Nature
toasterphantom
Ali
mauerite#5
MajesticPhantom
alaron4
maywood10
Deathshead1
PhantomofPhoenix
Loettchen
Chris Day
Phanatic1539
darthjones
Phantour
operaphan
TheMaskedLion
Miranda
ravnquest1
Rebecca
auctioneer
InkedAlchemist
justin-from-barbados
Christine's Shadow
ML6
Freyalise
Stephanie
Madame Giry
sk8phan
Scorp
The White Half-Mask
starryeyed
Becky
marvinrd
LadyCDaae
AngelofMusic
Demodiki
Callie Daae
phantomphan1992
Phantom on a Budget
Amberly_Nichole
Mme Reyer
Admin
aussiephan
phantom10906
phantomgirl110
MasqPhan
Cape Twirl of Doom
Viscountess
Paula74
Raphael
SenorSwanky
IamErik771
operafantomet
66 posters

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 27 Empty Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  Paula74 Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:26 am

Raphael wrote:
Okay people, who do we know at the Majestic?

Well, there is a Labradoodle named Soot....

Wink
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 27 Empty Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 am

I totally agree. Operaphantomet is one of the biggest names among us! Soot will definitely help out... Wink
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:01 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:I totally agree. Operaphantomet is one of the biggest names among us! Soot will definitely help out... Wink

No doubt Soot will come to the rescue! Dogs aren't called 'phans' best friend for nothing.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 am

OK, you guys are like THE sweetest. I love you You really think of me as a.... name? I think of many others that way, but not myself. I'm flattered!

And I think Soot has done some magic, because it appears a backstage tour is to happen. I am SOOOO happy for this! I will tell a lot more when I've actually been there, I'm always so afraid to jinx stuff. But I'm super super super excited!!

Any advice on hotel near the Majestic? Someone suggested Millenium Broadway, but they appear to be fully booked. And their sister hotels rather pricy. So other suggestion on cheap/medium price range hotels not too far away would be greatly appreciated. I am just so clueless about NYC.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:41 pm

MasqPhan wrote:
Raphael wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
3. Remind me of the stagedoor situation, again. Around the whole block? Next to what? NYC alone is scary...
Stage door? You're one of the major players in the Phandom - you deserve a backstage tour!

Okay people, who do we know at the Majestic? C'mon, let's make this happen!
This definitely needs a "Like" button.
It needs a LOVE button. I love you
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:21 pm

That's awesome! Just don't stay at the Hotel Carter. Wish someone had given me that advice.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:27 pm

operafantomet wrote:OK, you guys are like THE sweetest. I love you You really think of me as a.... name? I think of many others that way, but not myself. I'm flattered!
You are most definitely a name Smile

And I think Soot has done some magic, because it appears a backstage tour is to happen. I am SOOOO happy for this! I will tell a lot more when I've actually been there, I'm always so afraid to jinx stuff. But I'm super super super excited!!
Awesome! Soot's very generous!!!

Any advice on hotel near the Majestic? Someone suggested Millenium Broadway, but they appear to be fully booked. And their sister hotels rather pricy. So other suggestion on cheap/medium price range hotels not too far away would be greatly appreciated. I am just so clueless about NYC.
When exactly will you be there? I assume you'll only need a room for one night based on what you said earlier. NYC (and Times Square in particular) is always expensive, but I'm looking around online so see what I can find that qualifies.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 am

operafantomet wrote:=And I think Soot has done some magic, because it appears a backstage tour is to happen. I am SOOOO happy for this! I will tell a lot more when I've actually been there, I'm always so afraid to jinx stuff. But I'm super super super excited!!
Awww, Soot is officially my favorite person (err... being?) of the day! He's not just adorable, but incredibly sweet! Laughing

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:58 am

Can we make Soot an honorary member of Deserted Phans?

Anéa I can't wait to hear how your NY adventure goes!!! Woo hoo!
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:35 am

SenorSwanky wrote:That's awesome! Just don't stay at the Hotel Carter. Wish someone had given me that advice.
Thanks for that, advices on which hotels to stay clear of is also helpful. Smile

When exactly will you be there? I assume you'll only need a room for one night based on what you said earlier. NYC (and Times Square in particular) is always expensive, but I'm looking around online so see what I can find that qualifies.
Yup, one night, from Tuesday to Wednesday next week. Open for suggestions, but around Majestic/fabric district-ish would be a good area. If you have suggestions and/or could take a look, I'd be eternally grateful. My internet connection here in the US is really random.

Oh, and Soot and friend(s) definitely deserve something. I love you

Greetings from outer Minnesota bush AKA Red Wing.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:49 am

Anea,

Could you please define cheap/medium Cost hotels? What range are we looking at? It'll help narrow the search. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:08 pm

phantomfett wrote:Anea,

Could you please define cheap/medium Cost hotels? What range are we looking at? It'll help narrow the search. Smile
Well, as long as it's only one night, something between $100-$150?

Oh, and I HAVE MY TICKET FOR THE TUESDAY EVENING PERFORMANCE!!! Very Happy

/crazy caps lock mode
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Try Portland Square on West 47th. It's a short diagonal walk across Times Square. The prices might have gone up a little since they remodeled last year, but it's always been in the $100 to $150 range. It's clean, pretty quiet, and there's free internet. Check-in is fairly late...around 3:00 p.m., but they do have lockers to store your belongings if you're there before that. There's no room service or food IN the hotel, but there's two or three Starbucks within a block or two.

I just need to confirm your date with...y'know...Soot...now that you've got your ticket and it's all set. Laughing
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:18 pm

ANEA! If you're going to be in NY, we should totally meet up!
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Paula74 wrote:Try Portland Square on West 47th. It's a short diagonal walk across Times Square. The prices might have gone up a little since they remodeled last year, but it's always been in the $100 to $150 range. It's clean, pretty quiet, and there's free internet. Check-in is fairly late...around 3:00 p.m., but they do have lockers to store your belongings if you're there before that. There's no room service or food IN the hotel, but there's two or three Starbucks within a block or two.

I just need to confirm your date with...y'know...Soot...now that you've got your ticket and it's all set. Laughing
Very Happy Soot rocks. And so do you. Wink

As for Portland Square, when I'm trying their website portlandsquarehotel.com/ I'm automatically redirected to Sanctuary Hotel ( http://www.sanctuaryhotelnyc.com/ ), which range about $300 a night. That is a bit too expensive. Seems like their refurbishing was an extensive one. Alas, as it sounded good. Small, clean, good location, no facilities = perfect. Especially if there's a Starbucks closeby.

Viscountess, are you in NYC this coming Tuesday??
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:57 pm

operafantomet wrote:
As for Portland Square, when I'm trying their website portlandsquarehotel.com/ I'm automatically redirected to Sanctuary Hotel ( http://www.sanctuaryhotelnyc.com/ ), which range about $300 a night. That is a bit too expensive. Seems like their refurbishing was an extensive one. Alas, as it sounded good. Small, clean, good location, no facilities = perfect. Especially if there's a Starbucks closeby.
Yeah it appears Portland's refurbishing included a name-change as well.

Tip-toeing through Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity didn't have anything in the $100-$150 range that wasn't near the airports. Even Milford Plaza (next door to the Majestic) is $203/night according to their website (and that's a 15-hour sale at the moment). I think you might have to bite the bullet and spring for a little more than you planned Sad

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:58 pm

I've been trying to search around my favorite sites for deals/codes and cannot find anything either within your range Anéa. Everything is starting around $200 for something that isn't dumpy. Sad
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:05 pm

operafantomet wrote:Viscountess, are you in NYC this coming Tuesday??
Yep, I'll probably be in the area all week.
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Raphael wrote:Tip-toeing through Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity didn't have anything in the $100-$150 range that wasn't near the airports. Even Milford Plaza (next door to the Majestic) is $203/night according to their website (and that's a 15-hour sale at the moment). I think you might have to bite the bullet and spring for a little more than you planned Sad
You know what, Milford Plaza was a very good idea, it is now booked. Apparently with an "I love NYC" gift bag package, as it was the same rate as the room without it. Laughing And $220 is not bad at all, especially not for that location. My original price range was flexible.

Thank you so much for those looking and suggesting, it has been extremely helpful. My internet access has been so random, and it's long since I've felt so clueless. I don't know NYC is so overwhelming to me, I guess it's the slightly unplanned nature of the stay + me traveling alone. Everything just seems a bit chaotic right now. But I now have hotel + theatre tickets + a date with Soot. Life is good. I love you

Viscountess, I'll PM you!
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:26 pm

operafantomet wrote:You know what, Milford Plaza was a very good idea, it is now booked. Apparently with an "I love NYC" gift bag package, as it was the same rate as the room without it. Laughing And $220 is not bad at all, especially not for that location. My original price range was flexible.
Glad to hear that you've got a hotel secured - I was getting travel anxiety for you Smile

Milford's not the most glamorous hotel, but if it's just for one night and basically just a place to sleep, then it's okay and the location is very convenient. If I remember correctly, on the side of the hotel next to the Majestic, the wall proudly states in big letters that the Milford's next door neighbor is the Phantom (or something like that).

Thank you so much for those looking and suggesting, it has been extremely helpful. My internet access has been so random, and it's long since I've felt so clueless. I don't know NYC is so overwhelming to me, I guess it's the slightly unplanned nature of the stay + me traveling alone. Everything just seems a bit chaotic right now. But I now have hotel + theatre tickets + a date with Soot. Life is good. I love you
Now onto other issues Smile Are you still flying into Newark? Hopefully you'll get in early enough for the cab ride into Manhattan, check in, and have a little relaxation time before the show. As far as restaurants, I highly recommend Angus McIndoe which is right across the street from the Majestic. Last time I ate there I had a window table on the second floor. I could watch the people queue up for the show while I ate Smile

And since your entire Times Square experience encompasses spots within a dozen feet of each other so far, I'd recommend walking over a block to Duffy Square just to experience Times Square as you see it in the movies and television. Also, there's the Times Square Visitor/Information Center (@ 7th Avenue between 46th and 47th street) where you can get maps, lots of show flyers and advertisements, and get any questions you have about the area answered.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I hope you enjoy the Broadway production & NYC Anea! Very Happy
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Thank you, CTOD!

Anyone in need of a current Broadway brochure? Or other merchandise from The Majestic? Slip me a note here or on FB, and if I see it in time I'll buy it. Kinda looking forward to the merchandise stuff myself... Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Haha, it's so ridiculous! My hotel room is basically on TOP of the Majestic. I overlook the roof of the theatre. Oh yes, I am a happy camper.

Phantom in three hours. It'll be my 40th time in total, and first on Broadway. And I am saying hi to Soot afterwards. So cool. Just SOOO cool. SO COOL!!! cheers
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ifonlyidont Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm

operafantomet wrote:Haha, it's so ridiculous! My hotel room is basically on TOP of the Majestic. I overlook the roof of the theatre. Oh yes, I am a happy camper.

Phantom in three hours. It'll be my 40th time in total, and first on Broadway. And I am saying hi to Soot afterwards. So cool. Just SOOO cool. SO COOL!!! cheers

That is so cool, I hope you had an amazing time! And hope your meeting with Soot went well Smile

I'm hoping to go and see the show on Saturday whilst I'm in NY before my Trek America trip. It'll be my 4th time! I've got a long way to go to match you operafantomet! Laughing

ifonlyidont

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 am

Operfantomet- This is incredibly cool to have you on our shores seeing the NY production! Can't wait to hear your analysis of the production.

I've stayed at Milford before...cheap, but good, place for its location! Smile
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:38 am

ifonlyidont wrote:
operafantomet wrote:Haha, it's so ridiculous! My hotel room is basically on TOP of the Majestic. I overlook the roof of the theatre. Oh yes, I am a happy camper.

That is so cool, I hope you had an amazing time! And hope your meeting with Soot went well Smile

I'm hoping to go and see the show on Saturday whilst I'm in NY before my Trek America trip. It'll be my 4th time! I've got a long way to go to match you operafantomet! Laughing
Only a zero apart, and as we all know 0 = nothing, right? Wink

I have SOOOO much I want to tell you guys. Like, wow. But it really will have to wait until I get home. Too little time, and too unsorted thoughts... All love, though. However, I have some question:

Despite what everyone has said, Sara Jean Ford did not perform tonight. I had Marni Raab as Christine. And despite SJF's headshot and all in the playbill, it lists Marni Raab as principal Christine, Elizabeth Welch as the alternate for Wednesday evening and Saturday matinées, and Susan Owen for Thursday evening. Kimilee Bryant is currently the understudy. SJF isn't listed in the actual cast list. Where did she go? Is this an announced vacation or anything?

And about tomorrow.... technically I can do the Phantom matinée. I am VERY tempted too. However, I'm not sure I want to see the exact same cast again. Judging by the cast list I probably will. Anyone have inside info?

If I don't see Phantom, I will probably see Mary Poppins. Laura Michelle Kelly and Gavin Lee (original Mary and Bert) is apparently on. I know I should see "Book of Mormon" or "Turn off the Dark". But the former is probably hard to get ticket to + expenisve, and the latter is well... Had I been here several days I would see it, just because, but I don't want to "waste" an opportunity to see something awesome. So... Phantom... Poppins.... Phantom... Poppins...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:44 am

I wish I'd had time to see another show. Still have only seen no other shows but Phantom actually on Broadway.

As I suggested on FB, the Christine situation sounds like SJF is on vacation. They did that for Carlotta when I was there a few weeks ago, listing the three usual understudies in the cast list by the days they perform, but Michelle McConnell was still on the title page, poster, and headshot page.

It'd be great if you got to see Bryant. She might be a bit old for the part now, but she's a great Christine, from what I've heard. Certainly was a good Carlotta.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:16 am

Operafantomet - I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the Broadway production. I can't wait to read your review after you get home. I am flying into NYC in the morning for a business trip and returning on Thursday. I tried so hard to get extra time in the city for spare time but it sadly did not work out. So close to Phantom but yet so far.

If you don't see Phantom again, it sounds like a great opportunity to see the original Mary and Bert. Have fun! Very Happy
Stephanie
Stephanie

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 am

See Mary Poppins! Turn Off The Dark is awful, and Mormon is impossible to get tickets to, except by luck...

Love that you loved the show!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:33 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:I wish I'd had time to see another show. Still have only seen no other shows but Phantom actually on Broadway.

As I suggested on FB, the Christine situation sounds like SJF is on vacation. They did that for Carlotta when I was there a few weeks ago, listing the three usual understudies in the cast list by the days they perform, but Michelle McConnell was still on the title page, poster, and headshot page.

It'd be great if you got to see Bryant. She might be a bit old for the part now, but she's a great Christine, from what I've heard. Certainly was a good Carlotta.
Yes, the situation sounds identical. I was just so surprised as I knew it wasn't an alternate day, and everyone said SJF would be on for sure, yet I immediately recognized Marni Raab when she entered stage.

I really hoped to catch Bryant, to be honest. I like her a lot. I actually emailed her, to ask if she had any scheduled performances, but she had the day off yesterday, and I think she's "only" doing ensemble work today.

Stephanie, that was basically my situation as well. So close, and yet so far. But luckily I was able to do a last-minute re-booking, so I got 24 hours in NYC. I am SO happy about that. Sorry you won't be able to do the same. But NEXT time...

MajesticPhantom: I sure hope Turn off the Dark is awful, that's exactly why I would want to see it... rabbit But yeah, when I can only see two musicals, and one of them obviously is Phantom, I don't want to waste an opportunity to see a great show. And I really want to see Mary Poppins.

A semi short note on the performance last night: I'm pretty sure it was sold out. At least very close to. They also got a standing ovation. That warmed an old Phantom heart. Especially when strolling Broadway and all the shows the city have to offer, and see that people still queued up for Phantom.

As for the cast, I saw Hugh Panaro as the Phantom, Marni Raab as Christine, and Kyle Barisich as Raoul. Panaro was absolutely amazing. Deeper voice than before, overall more intimidating, but also more sensual, and perfect money notes. SO impressed. Raab... well... I am divided. Her voice was rather thin for much of the show, and too thick when she needed volume, and she just didn't manage to blend those two well. I think that is the same issue I had with Anne Görner in Essen, and it irked me. However, her acting was fantastic. Like, fantastic. Some incredibly fine acting moments going on. Which made me kinda love her still. As for Barisich, he was flawless but didn't stand out in any way. Despite Raab being a "pro-Raoul" Christine, this was a performance where I watched the Phantom and Christine moreso than the trio.

Managers George Lee Andrews and David Cryer was excellent, ditto for Evan Harrington as Piangi. But the supporting role who very much stole the show was Marilyn Caskey as Madame Giry. Along with Heather Jackson, it is by far the best Madame Giry ever. Wow.

Michele McConnell was a sympathetic and even cute Carlotta. I loved that. Good voice too. Jessica Bishop was a lovely Meg in terms of acting and looks, but I had the same issue with her as I've had with most US Megs: vibrato heavy, to the point where it's hard to tell what is sung. So singing wise, nope. Dancing, cuteness and acting, top score.

In general I felt the Broadway production had a high level of professionalism. Things were exactly as they should, the dancers were always 100% on time and synchronized, and it looked fresh and energetic. I think that maybe impressed me the most. The production felt fresh, and knowing how worn/old some of the costumes and sets are, how cramped the backstage space is, and also how long some cast members have been there, I just found it very impressive.

I went to say hello to Soot afterwards, but he weren't there! He failed me! However, I was delighted to meet some of his friends - Panaro, Raab, Barisich, Thelma Pollard in makeup, and Andrew the maybe a bit involuntary costume guide. What a Face Seeing the US costumes up close was too cool for words. I mean, I know them by heart, but seeing and feeling textures, details, construction and actual weight is something else. More to come on that. THANK YOU a million-trillion-gazillion times for arranging this, Paula. I can't think of any better way to celebrate my 40th show. It was such a perfect night.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 34 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30 ... 34  Next