Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + US tour

+62
AngelOfMusic325
Bunvendor
Perdita X. Nitt
Blaidd_Drwg
Phantomlove
ifonlyidont
Devon
PhantomsGhost
Liza1013
Amyable_Nature
toasterphantom
Ali
mauerite#5
MajesticPhantom
alaron4
maywood10
Deathshead1
PhantomofPhoenix
Loettchen
Chris Day
Phanatic1539
darthjones
Phantour
operaphan
TheMaskedLion
Miranda
ravnquest1
Rebecca
auctioneer
InkedAlchemist
justin-from-barbados
Christine's Shadow
ML6
Freyalise
Stephanie
Madame Giry
sk8phan
Scorp
The White Half-Mask
starryeyed
Becky
marvinrd
LadyCDaae
AngelofMusic
Demodiki
Callie Daae
phantomphan1992
Phantom on a Budget
Amberly_Nichole
Mme Reyer
Admin
aussiephan
phantom10906
phantomgirl110
MasqPhan
Cape Twirl of Doom
Viscountess
Paula74
Raphael
SenorSwanky
IamErik771
operafantomet
66 posters

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 15 Empty Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  MajesticPhantom Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:51 am

About ensemble contracts in America-

They are "run of the play", so actors in ensemble and swing tracks are contracted to be with the show until it closes, and it is up to them to decide when they leave (they can get fired, but ONLY for extraneous circumstances). That is why so many actors in the smaller roles in PHANTOM (America, at least) are constantly entering and exiting at random times. But if you're really good at understudying several roles, your chances of never being asked to take on a role full time increase.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 15 Empty Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  Christine's Shadow Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:25 am

MajesticPhantom wrote:About ensemble contracts in America-

They are "run of the play", so actors in ensemble and swing tracks are contracted to be with the show until it closes, and it is up to them to decide when they leave (they can get fired, but ONLY for extraneous circumstances). That is why so many actors in the smaller roles in PHANTOM (America, at least) are constantly entering and exiting at random times. But if you're really good at understudying several roles, your chances of never being asked to take on a role full time increase.

^ Truth.

It's the same for any show really. If you've had the chance to swing in any show, it will catch the eye of those in casting. Swings are near priceless, and if you can do it well? Chances are you're not going to be moved/promoted any time soon.
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:53 am

I have the most respect for swings, honestly I don't know how they do it. Then again I could never learn the steps for 1 dance let alone cover 3 or 4.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Still no words on the new Broadway Phantom?

Random note: is it only me, or do the American Phantoms and Christines sing "Phantom of the Apura"?
/random note
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:42 pm

lol

sometimes the wonderful Davis Gaines would sing Thaa Ph-EEEn-tom of the Op-U-raaa
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Christine's Shadow wrote:

^ Truth.

It's the same for any show really. If you've had the chance to swing in any show, it will catch the eye of those in casting. Swings are near priceless, and if you can do it well? Chances are you're not going to be moved/promoted any time soon.
It's definitely understandable that they're a valuable commodity, but also a shame that they don't get to shine for an extended time in any one role.

operafantomet wrote:Random note: is it only me, or do the American Phantoms and Christines sing "Phantom of the Apura"?
You mean like Ah-purr-uh/Ah-purr-ah? That's how we say it. Or do you mean some other nuanced pronunciation? I don't have a problem with how that word is pronounced, but too often, whether the directors tell them to or it's their own choice (probably the former, since it's so annoyingly common), the Christines and Raouls particularly, though generally all the performers, use really stark Midwestern American accents, with hard "r"s, which I find really inappropriate for the European period piece that is Phantom.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:44 am

SenorSwanky wrote:
Christine's Shadow wrote:

^ Truth.

It's definitely understandable that they're a valuable commodity, but also a shame that they don't get to shine for an extended time in any one role.

Yeah, I get that. Now and again you'll have someone move up, but it's rare. I would like to see a lot of the Phantom swings move up now and again.

operafantomet wrote:Random note: is it only me, or do the American Phantoms and Christines sing "Phantom of the Apura"?
You mean like Ah-purr-uh/Ah-purr-ah? That's how we say it. Or do you mean some other nuanced pronunciation? I don't have a problem with how that word is pronounced, but too often, whether the directors tell them to or it's their own choice (probably the former, since it's so annoyingly common), the Christines and Raouls particularly, though generally all the performers, use really stark Midwestern American accents, with hard "r"s, which I find really inappropriate for the European period piece that is Phantom.

I've also found that many North American productions stick to their "A"s very closely. Coming more from the front of the mouth/nose versus the darker more open vowel sound most European casts have. The only exception I found really was the majority of the LV cast who had the more open vowels (and sounded even better for it.)
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Amberly_Nichole Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:02 pm

It's official! Hugh Panaro and Sara Jean Ford will be the new "Phantom" and "Christine" on Broadway.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/142156-Hugh-Panaro-and-Sara-Jean-Ford-Will-Sing-Phantoms-High-Notes-Starting-in-September
Amberly_Nichole
Amberly_Nichole

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Yay!

I wonder if they will give him an up-to-date style mask or just reuse his old ones.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

I knew Hugh was going back...and, in fact, just discussed this with him last night. We were both supposed to be sworn to secrecy until tomorrow, but Broadway.com posted a day early.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Yay! I've always wanted to see Hugh! cheers
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Congrats to Hugh Panaro. I think we all knew he would return someday, but I don't think too many guessed it would be this time around!

And congrats to Sara Jean Ford too - I wonder if they'll give her a new Wishing dress this time around! The one she wore in the tour was not made of the stripy fabric, and was from the early days of Phantom.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:15 pm

I JUST GOT THE CHILLS AND TEARS! I AM SO EXCITED. He is incredible, and I am so excited to see him play this role again. Last time I was 13!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Still wish they'd get some new people in...but yeah, definitely could be a lot worse than that. Very Happy

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Could be worse; could be better. He was only 35 when he took on the role, and 41 when he left. At 46 now (though he still doesn't look a day over 35), he's more at the prime age for Phantoms, so his portrayal might have more of the maturity and world-weary gravitas I like to see in Phantoms.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Mme Reyer Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 pm

Just heard him sing MOTN in Atlanta last month and he's in great voice! I'm so excited about this news!!
Mme Reyer
Mme Reyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Panaro opposite Silverman? That's not Phantom, it's Attack of the Man Candy!

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Raphael wrote:Panaro opposite Silverman? That's not Phantom, it's Attack of the Man Candy!

R.

^ I think I'll have to referee. Wink cheers

on a side note: my next trip to new york has suddenly moved it's date MUCH closer than I've expected Very Happy
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:54 pm

Raphael wrote:Panaro opposite Silverman? That's not Phantom, it's Attack of the Man Candy!

R.

Well, I do have a bit of a sweet-tooth. Very Happy

I definitely think there will be a lot of changes to how he plays the role. His performance always varied according to the rest of the cast...different chemistry with different Christines, etc..

I have definitely seen little changes in Hugh himself over the past few years and I think he'll bring that to the role.

I've heard the performance that Mme. Reyer mentioned and it completely blew me away...probably the finest MOTN I've heard from him, in the show itself or in concert.
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 am

I can't wait to hear his voice fill that space again. His voice, to me, has that ghostly quality that Crawford had (and so many other Phantoms lack), but more trained, resonant, and enticing. Really a PHANTOM, and I am especially excited because he's older now. It's going to be wonderful seeing him be very grounded and matured in this role!
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:Yay!

I wonder if they will give him an up-to-date style mask or just reuse his old ones.

Well, I don't know what style it will be, but he mentioned today that he was in the middle of getting fitted for his costumes, wigs, and mask. So we'll see!

One thing that really stands out is how damned excited he is about the role. And it's a contagious sort of excitement...not that I was already terribly happy about this before, but the enthusiastic tone of his e-mails has me The Broadway production + US tour - Page 15 Smiley-happy035.

Also, he said he really feels he can "bring more to the role five years later."
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Paula74 wrote:Also, he said he really feels he can "bring more to the role five years later."
When it comes to the role of the Phantom I'm age discriminating... the older, the better. The Phantom needs to convey a lived life, a life of humiliation and experiences beyond what you thought possible. Few under 35 has managed this, in my book. They might have the voice, the idea, everything, but they still come off as too lightweight. Which is why I never was a fan of the current trend of casting "young and sexy" Phantoms.

And that brings me to Hugh Panaro. He's the only Phantom I've seen where I've liked the androgyne style, because he also had the depth and an interesting voice. I loved him back in 2003(ish), and I'm sure he'll bring a whole new confidence and experience to the role today. I was hoping for a new Phantom face on Broadway, but if they were to bring back an old timer, I can't think of any better bloke than Panaro! OK, maybe Crawford, but we all know that is as unlikely as it gets...
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Paula74 wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:Yay!

Well, I don't know what style it will be, but he mentioned today that he was in the middle of getting fitted for his costumes, wigs, and mask. So we'll see!

One thing that really stands out is how damned excited he is about the role. And it's a contagious sort of excitement...not that I was already terribly happy about this before, but the enthusiastic tone of his e-mails has me The Broadway production + US tour - Page 15 Smiley-happy035.

Also, he said he really feels he can "bring more to the role five years later."

Yay, I know it is only a minor detail but i'm thrilled he will be getting a new mask, I really didnt like the style mask he had (even though it suits his features)

Lets just hope they will also do some new production photos.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Hugh was my Phantom the only time I saw the Broadway production in 2005. I've never been keen on his voice, just personal taste, but I did very much like his acting. His final lair was great.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm

See, I'm the opposite--love his voice, not as keen on the acting. Anea hit on part of that--the androgyny, and the whininess was probably too childish. The Phantom should obviously be immature and nuts, but not quite in that way, to my preference.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:01 am

operafantomet wrote:
And that brings me to Hugh Panaro. He's the only Phantom I've seen where I've liked the androgyne style

SenorSwanky wrote:Anea hit on part of that--the androgyny

I don't understand how this word is being used here. I thought androgyny meant not being able to tell if someone is male or female. How does that fit Hugh's interpretation of the character? He seems very similar in style to Crawford. Would you describe Crawford as "androgynous" as well?

confused
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 am

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/androgynous

It's not just a literal term. Hugh's Phantom is a little too effeminate in parts for my taste--it's mainly in the FL, with the whining and the dripping sarcasm when Raoul arrives. I wouldn't say that of Crawford, no. But, who knows, that may no longer be the case 5 years on from Hugh's last performance.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:27 am

Cape Twirl of Doom wrote:
operafantomet wrote:
And that brings me to Hugh Panaro. He's the only Phantom I've seen where I've liked the androgyne style

SenorSwanky wrote:Anea hit on part of that--the androgyny

I don't understand how this word is being used here. I thought androgyny meant not being able to tell if someone is male or female. How does that fit Hugh's interpretation of the character? He seems very similar in style to Crawford. Would you describe Crawford as "androgynous" as well?

confused
The word is of greek origin, andros meaning male, gyne meaning female. The word can be used in different ways, but nowadays it usually refers to someone mixing masculine and feminine qualities in their style. Androgyny in popular culture include David Bowie, Boy George, Prince and to some degree Michael Jackson. As for not being able to tell if someone is male or female: the word you think of is probably hermaphrodite (combination of Hermes and Aphrodite), which relates more to the physical ambiguity ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermaphrodite ). It's related, but not the same.

Crawford would NOT count as androgynous, in my book! I can't point out exactly what I find androgynous with Panaro's Phantom portrayal, but I definitely get those vibes from him. Yes, he is sensual and all that, but in a... I dunno, genderless way.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:33 am

Paul Stanley's another somewhat androgynous Phantom (though it's nothing compared to his onstage KISS persona).
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:34 am

SenorSwanky wrote:Paul Stanley's another somewhat androgynous Phantom (though it's nothing compared to his onstage KISS persona).
I was about to mention him! I agree about him being one too. But I still can pinpoint why.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next