Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Crawford Thread

+16
Cape Twirl of Doom
Vicomtesse de Chagny
LadyCDaae
Phantour
Paula74
LisaL
Klavirista
Scorp
Molina
Bric
SenorSwanky
operafantomet
MasqPhan
ML6
Raphael
Callie Daae
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Michael Crawford Thread

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 am

Raphael wrote:
Scorp wrote:Out of curiosity, who here on this board saw Crawford live as the Phantom? I know ladygodiva did...anyone else?
I never saw him in the show, but I did attend one of his concerts where he sang a few songs from "Phantom." In relation to the other songs in the set, there was a palpable change in his personality - even sans mask, makeup and costume, he transformed into the Phantom for those few songs.

That's about as close as I'll ever get, I guess.

R.
Same here. Saw him in 1992 and, I think, 1997 in concert, but never actually in the role. One of my relatives did in LA, though.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:48 am

Raphael wrote:
Scorp wrote:Out of curiosity, who here on this board saw Crawford live as the Phantom? I know ladygodiva did...anyone else?
I never saw him in the show, but I did attend one of his concerts where he sang a few songs from "Phantom." In relation to the other songs in the set, there was a palpable change in his personality - even sans mask, makeup and costume, he transformed into the Phantom for those few songs.

R.

I wasn't fortunate enough to see him in Phantom but I did see four of his concerts in the past. I agree with Raphael, there is a definitely change in him when he gets to the Phantom portion of his shows. Everything from the way he carried himself to his facial features seemed to change. He wasn't Michael Crawford, he was the Phantom. At some shows the change was almost eerie. Songs end, lights come back to normal lighting and there's Michael again.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:04 am

Like others, I have seen him sing Phantom songs only in concert and was also impressed by the physical transformation. He even does some of that in interviews--his posture changes and his hands start to move....
Not surprisingly, the character is, I believe, still important to him.

I've been to several concerts between 1998 and 2007, and although he is in very good physical shape (or was when I saw him a year ago) I would say that his voice had lost just a bit by 2007. He still did the big and long notes as always but was a little thin on "soar" in "Music of the Night"---still very good but not quite up to the vocal quality of his prime.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in WOZ if nothing in my life goes wrong, but I kinda doubt he will ever play the Phantom again.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:23 am

Pics of Michael at the 10,000th performance!!!! What a Face I love you

more here:

http://tinyurl.com/34mnnfv

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 3MichaelandSofiaEscobar

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 2MichaelCurrentPhantom-10-10

Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:13 am

I wonder if this was that one-night-only thing (even though it was a matinee), not him returning to the role for the 25th next year.

Also, how surreal it must have been for both MC and SJD.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:33 am

Great closeup photos. I kind of like this one---he's coming on though the fog Very Happy
I think that is ALW in the blue shirt on the right, which means Michael was the last man on.

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 6MichaelMakesHisEntrance-10-10

I can't think he would seriously consider playing the role again. He's very fit, but he's 68. Why would he want to risk his great reputation by possibly not doing it as well as he did in the original production? He's been there, done it wonderfully, nothing to prove there.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:52 am

Yup, it's ALW in the blue shirt. The photos posted are so cool! And I am very envious of those who were there.

Have to nitpick a bit, though, seeing it was such a groundbreaking performance: Stephen John Davis is not principal Phantom, and you can really tell that by his mask. It's way too big for him, especially around the jaw and eye. Heck, even the waistcoat looks too big for him (but it might be the angle). And Sofia Escobar's wig is placed so far down her forehead. I mean, the small curls on the side blends with her eyebrows. Leave her some forehead! I just wanna grab the wig and pull it back a bit.

OK, I know it's nitpicking. But seeing how many closeup pictures were to be taken and published this night, I wish the iconic looks of the Phantom and Christine were presented in a best possible way. This has nothing to do with SJD and Escobar, they're both perfect for the roles. And I know SJD kinda stepped in in the last minute. But still... but still...
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 am

I'd noticed the mask but hadn't noticed the wig--see what you mean... Neutral
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 am

operafantomet wrote:Stephen John Davis is not principal Phantom, and you can really tell that by his mask. It's way too big for him, especially around the jaw and eye. Heck, even the waistcoat looks too big for him (but it might be the angle).

The weird thing is is that that mask WAS specifically made for SJD -- it's not someone else's mask. Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 06
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 am

Scorp wrote:
operafantomet wrote:Stephen John Davis is not principal Phantom, and you can really tell that by his mask. It's way too big for him, especially around the jaw and eye. Heck, even the waistcoat looks too big for him (but it might be the angle).
The weird thing is is that that mask WAS specifically made for SJD -- it's not someone else's mask. Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 06
HUH?? You're kidding? scratch I knew the deformities were made for his face, but that mask seriously looks like a hand-me-down item. It's way too large for his face. I mean, it doesn't follow the hairline of the wig, it overlaps it quite a bit. Or else I would be tempted to think the mask just hung a bit low in his face. Cause his actual eye is halfway covered by the mask eye, and the jaw area seems too big. Or is it just me? Hmmm. Maybe it's just that closeup photo of him and Crawford, I'll check other pics from this evening.

But cool to see Crawford on the London Phantom stage again. This is where it all started 24 years ago. *goosebumps*
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:19 am

operafantomet wrote:
Scorp wrote:
HUH?? You're kidding? scratch I knew the deformities were made for his face, but that mask seriously looks like a hand-me-down item. It's way too large for his face. I mean, it doesn't follow the hairline of the wig, it overlaps it quite a bit. Or else I would be tempted to think the mask just hung a bit low in his face. Cause his actual eye is halfway covered by the mask eye, and the jaw area seems too big. Or is it just me? Hmmm. Maybe it's just that closeup photo of him and Crawford, I'll check other pics from this evening.

But cool to see Crawford on the London Phantom stage again. This is where it all started 24 years ago. *goosebumps*

To be honest it looked all right on stage. It does look odd in the photos though. But it is definitely his mask as I asked SJD the same question many months ago and there are even pictures of SJD having his plaster cast thing taken. Even the cover Phantom, Brian McCann, has his own mask.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 am

Has anyone got Phantom: Michael Crawford Unmasked by Anthony Hayward? Is it worth getting? How much is there on MC's time in Phantom?
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Callie Daae Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:46 am

That one is unauthorized, I suggest getting MC's autobiography.
Callie Daae
Callie Daae

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 am

Callie Daae wrote:That one is unauthorized, I suggest getting MC's autobiography.

I already have that; just wondering if this one says anything "new" that I might not know...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Sad I was supposed to see Michael Crawford when I was 16. He was doing one of his little concert thingies ONE TOWN OVER from where I live, and tickets were only $68.

My dad bought them, he was gonna take me. I planned my whole month around it.

Then my dad got invited to an Earth Wind and Fire Concert, completely forgot and didn't tell me until A HALF AN HOUR BEFORE THE CONCERT.

edit: I should mention, I'm only 21 and Michael was long gone before I was able to see him in Phantom. On one hand, I envy everyone who has had the opportunity to see him perform, but on the other I wonder if it's a blessing in disguise as I am able to love each and every one of my Phantoms and am not comparing them to MC.

Except for Anthony Crivello who has ruined me for other men XD
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Scorp wrote:Has anyone got Phantom: Michael Crawford Unmasked by Anthony Hayward? Is it worth getting? How much is there on MC's time in Phantom?

There are a couple of chapters about Phantom. It's been a while since I read Hayward's book, but if you are at all interested in Michael Crawford, it's probably worth your while. The book was written without an interview with Crawford but seems to have been carefully researched.
Since the book is related from the writer's point of view and not Michael's, the details are different.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 am

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.erikog/mc/encounter/enc/christine.html

this is the woman who started Phan Mail in 1988

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:41 pm

ladygodiva wrote:http://members.nuvox.net/~on.erikog/mc/encounter/enc/christine.html

this is the woman who started Phan Mail in 1988
Aaaaw, that was such a sweet write-up! Lucky her. And I really envy her to experience both the early Broadway years and the original LA production. I love you
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Second that, I am still trying to get some of the older phans to write in, the good news is that some stop by and visit, to look around, and they like what they see, hopefully they will contribute,

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 Empty Phantom of the Opera Curtain Call speeches

Post  ladygodiva Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Phantom of the Opera Curtain Call speeches made by Michael Crawford, and others in the cast

Her Majesty's Theatre, London , October 10th, 1987 [/b]

Michael: "Ladies and Gentlemen, there are a few of us here tonight who are obviously very sad that I am leaving Phantom, This was assured to me earlier.

Every once in a while. Sometimes only once in a lifetime, a feast is made up in the Theatre with perfect measurements and perfect ingredients, and, from working at it for well over a year and a half now with Andrew, I think, personally , this is the best we'll ever do, and this idea really works.

Then, Many felt that thanks were due to Andrew who has written this wonderful story, to Charles who has written some of the lyrics, Maria for the designs of the set, and Hal Prince who directed the show, and everyone else's name on the programme who go to make up this fiesta. Many thanks to Andrew, for choosing me.

I've loved every minute of it and may never, ever feel this way again."

[b]The Magestic Theater, New York, October 8th 1988

Steve Barton:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, in case you haven't noticed, this is a very special night. It's Michael Crawford's last performance in New York, and (to Michael)... come forward please, There is an old saying in the Theatre here, we're all just one family, that's true, we've been really lucky to have such an extended visit from a wonderful relative across the water. I'm sure I speak for the company of the entire production of the American phantom, the cast the crew, the management. From the cast , thank you, and we'll miss you."

Michael Crawford: "There are'nt any words to..there are NO words to describe what I've felt in these last two years.. Andrew for some extraordinary reason, through Sarah hearing me sing, chose me for this part, and Hal Prince who was the producer of the first musical that I ever saw in my life, which was West Side Story, made me feel that's what I wanted to do in my life. To bring from depths inside me, the love that we all feel, beacuse I feel it every night coming back form you, and it's wonderful to be able to play a man that you all care about him losing, and if we all cared about each other in that way, it'd be a terrific place.

London was wonderful, it was great, but nothing perpared me for what was going to happen here, nothing at all and it got better, the company sing like I've never heard. and they are all...Whenever your partners do well, it makes you do better, so every night it drives you to do better and better. You won't grow in leaps and bounds, but at least you know you're always trying to go in the right direction.. That's about it.. the crew,(Someone in the audience yelled"Your're perfection! and the whole audience applauded Michael)

Everyone in this theatre that I feel from the front of the house staff watching it every night, I feel you out there and I love it that you're watching. I love it that there are people in the wings, and that they care about the show, my team that looks after me in the dressing room, My team that look after me and guide me around backstage and put up with my eccentricities about getting into the character, and Steve has been with me from day one, he knows what it feels like.

I remember, I said something to my mother on my 21st birthday, and I say this to you in New York, and to all of you in America who have welcomed me... Thank you for having me.. Good Night."

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 Empty Michael Crawford speeches from Los Angeles Phantom of the Opera

Post  ladygodiva Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:50 pm

Michael Crawford speeches from Los Angeles Phantom of the Opera

Ahmanson Theater, Los Angeles, February 22, 1990

Dale Kristien:

"Michael Crawford has graced us as the Phantom of the Opera 1000 times

Michael Crawford:

"Ahh.. Thank you, Thank You. (Two audience members call out "I love you") I've got two agents. (Audience laughs and applauds) Ladies and Gentlemen, I just .. I'm terrible at this 'cause I don't know what to say.. I ...I.. you just finish this and then there are no words left. When you've loved something umm a thousand times. its a wonderful feeling, and I've loved this a thousand times, I can genuinely say. Not at 10:30 on a Thursday morning maybe, but by the time I start, I do and I've had a particularly wonderful time here in Los Angeles a great company, and crew and orchestra, we're very close and very together and it helps an enormous amount, as any of you with a family, as any of us with a family, know, we are like a family and it makes the job that much easier. So tonight is very sweet for me and thank you for your affection here in Los Angeles."

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 Empty Michael Crawford's farewell speech Los Angeles April 29, 1990

Post  ladygodiva Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Michael Crawford's farewell speech Los Angeles April 29, 1990

Dale Kristien: "As you know, Michael's leaving us today and I'm not gonna say this is his last performance...I'm hoping he'll come back. I wish I could share with you the extraodinary experience it is being on stage with this man.. that we all have.. I... It's just moving and I think we have a song to sing...for this man.

(Cast and Audience sing "Happy Trails to You" Michael is presented a bouquet of roses, as ballons and streamers descend from the flys)

Michael:

To Reece: "Will you hold my flowers, please?" Reece Holland holds them

To audience: "OH...(As he steps over the balloons on the stage) slowly gently...ah ladies and gentlemen, thank you so, so very much..I have no idea what I was...I mean... I have no idea what I was going to say at the end here, and I still don't have any idea because if I thnk about that forget what I'm gonna do beforehand. All I know is my priorites, what I've said.. I'm just so lucky to have had this happen in my life..and to work with the people that I've worked with, starting in London and then in New York. You can't compare because they've been wonderful, wonderful people right from the word go; and it's rather like having reached this point, it's rather like playing opposite a very good tennis partner who allways improves your game , and.. not that that's a good...really, compartison for me, because the best I am at tennis is sucking the orange in between changing ends! (Heartly Laugh) Ah.. I Just, I've had a great time with this company and with this crew. To do it after three and a half years and every night we still go through the the same pattern of behaviour the same serousness it's treated with the same respect it's treated with everynight.. apart from a few naughty things that wenton up here tonight which you wouldn't know about. When I came down the stairs with the Red Death on , I had a big sign saying I'll miss you' on the back of it, and you didn't see that! (Laughs heartily and slaps his knees he steps back on a balloon popping it.) Oh, my god... no wait a minute... it's all right, Robert, I'm getting off soon! I want to wish Robert Guillaume all my love and best wishes on Mon... On Tuesday. It's the greatest part, he's the nicest man, and I'm sure he's gonna do it great justice. He has a great love in him and he will do it wonderful justice, so encourage him and be here for him, please...My company , thank you so much.. from the energy.. I only get to meet really Reece who I fire fireballs at each night and hang him... But, he loves it! and ...ah.. and my, my, darling Ree,-uh my darling Dale, I I (Laughs to Reece) sorry!,(Michael holds Dale) this is my tennis player who's better than me and has made me better every night I 've played this. It's been so special to play opposite her. (Michael lets go of Dale) And from there, we all work.. the company the crew.. my partner down there Roger Cantrell and his assistant Larry who play the show with us wall every night, and Scott, who plays the show with me everynight on that sound desk-without these people, we couldn't make the sounds that we do. I thank you once again. I'm so glad this has happened to me! Now I can cry -God bless you.!"

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Michael Crawford Thread - Page 3 Empty Michael Crawford returning as the Phatnom of the Opera

Post  ladygodiva Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:25 pm

Michael Crawford returning as the Phatnom of the Opera

Ahmanson Theater, Los Angeles, December 31, 1990

After Michael accepted bouquets of flowers, hands one to Dale and kisses her on the cheek, and hands another to Micheal Piontek (Raoul)

Dale Kristien:

"Last April 29th, I stood on this stage and I said 'I'm not going to say that this is the last time Michael Crawfrod's playing the part, 'cos I hope he's coming back' and he did as a member of this fine company, I'm flattered, I'm honored, I'm so honored that he came back here and (To Michael) it's so nice to have you back where you belong" welcome back the original, Michael Crawford returning as the Phantom of the Opera."

Michael:

"In the words of my, one of my favourite comedy actors, 'How Sweet it is', I'm so happy to be back and now I wish you all a very , very happy new year. This has been a wonderful year and a wonderful end to 1990, and please God, it's a peaceful year for us all,aw well as a happy one. thank you so much"

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks for those. I've seen the video of his final Broadway speech, but hadn't heard what he'd said at the others. I wonder what he said at his final FINAL performance in spring '91.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:36 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Thanks for those. I've seen the video of his final Broadway speech, but hadn't heard what he'd said at the others. I wonder what he said at his final FINAL performance in spring '91.

I will have to find it, when I get home, but I do know one thing that Dale Kristien said "I just want to say, that I love you too, Eric! to Michael

When I find the whole speech I will post it.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  InkedAlchemist Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Any reviews on his performance in Wizard of OZ? Each time I do a search.. I can't really find anything. (That being said.. the last time I tried looking was a couple weeks ago. )
InkedAlchemist
InkedAlchemist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3