Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical

2 posters

Go down

Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical Empty Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical

Post  Blind Phan Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:34 am

:-) Literally just finished binge-reading this book, and wondering if other Phans have read it? What did you think? I have to say that I really enjoyed it, although I didn't always agree with the author's analysis. For one thing, I think she's a fan, although mercifully not uncritically so, of both the Gerik and LND. And for another, her primary focus is the social processes of the creation of the original stage-musical, the 2004 film and LND. Whereas I wish she'd spent more time on Phantom as a cultural phenomenon. Although, she does analyse, and does it well too, the ways the internet has changed the relationship between audiences/fans and producers/creators, using the campaigns around LND as a case-study. She speaks respectfully of us Phans, though, which I appreciate! In spite of her being a trained psychologist, she doesn't disparage or pathologize our obsessions. That being said, although she likes Phantom, stage and film, and LND, I don't think she's a Phan herself. Still, for a non-Phan, I thought she did a really good job!

Btw, fun fact. She mentions folks from this site in connection with the Love Should Die campaign! Phantom JT? Wink You're cited in an academic text! Awesome!

Blind Phan

http://www.phantomfemme.com

Back to top Go down

Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical Empty Re: Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical

Post  NightRachel Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for posting about this, Blind Phan! I didn't even know this book existed, but after reading your comments on it, I looked to see if I could get a copy of the book from Amazon. It's there, so I put it on my Wish List. Sounds like an interesting read! Smile
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical Empty Re: Phantom of the Opera: A Social History of the World's Most Popular Musical

Post  Blind Phan Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 pm

:-) You're most welcome! Yeah, it's an interesting and entertaining read. And surprisingly positive and respectful given that it's written by some one who doesn't identify as a Phan! Post what you thought once you, too, get a chance to read it?

Blind Phan

http://www.phantomfemme.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down