Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite....

+11
Bunvendor
Scorp
Madame Giry
Phantomlove
Blind Phan
Helen
Viscountess
EarlFan
MlleMusique
Paula74
operafantomet
15 posters

Go down

Favourite.... Empty Favourite....

Post  operafantomet Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:34 pm

A topic for our other favourites...

Favourite costume scene:
Hannibal and Masquerade

Favourite Andrés:
Morten Staugaard, David Firth, Sam Hiller, Robert Irons, Fernand Delosch, D.C. Anderson, George Lee Andrews
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Favourite.... Empty Re: Favourite....

Post  operafantomet Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 pm

...and favourite Madame Girys:

Mary Millar, Heather Jackson, Josie Benson, Anette Yeo, Monica Einarson, Gabrielle Ramm, Marie Bo and (surprisingly) Miranda Richardson
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Favorite costumes Christine's wedding dress, the Sylvan Glade ballet costumes, Meg and Christine's "Il Muto" maid outfits, Meg's DJT gypsy costume, the Gypsy from Masquerade

Favorite Pinagi Larry Wayne Morbitt, David Gaschen

Favorite scenes Wandering Child, Final Lair, title song/MOTN
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MlleMusique Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:14 pm

Favourite Scene: MOTN, AOM (both versions), Twisted Ev'ry Way through to WYWSHA, Final Lair and the Il Muto ballet.

Favourite Costume: Christine's dressing gown, Christine's Countess gown, Il Muto ballet costumes, Carlotta's Don Juan dress, Christine's wedding gown, Christine's Il Muto maid outfit, Carlotta's Il Muto gown, and a bunch of costumes from Masquerade.

Favourite Mme Giry: Marilyn Caskey, plus the vocals of Mary Millar, Olga Talyn and Evette Davis. And Miranda Richardson=LOVE.
MlleMusique
MlleMusique

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:12 am

Favourite costumes: Christine's wedding dress, The Red Death costume, The dual sex costume
Favourite scenes: MOTN, PONR, The Mirror scene, Masquerade, Fina Lair
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Favorite Costumes: Triangle Girl, Hannibal Princess, Meg Masquerade, Aminta, Christine Countess, Elissa and Wedding Dress (It's just so hard to choose!)

Favorite Scenes: Hannibal Ballet, Masquerade, PONR

Favorite Version of Costumes: US, UK

Favorite Underrated "Characters": Hannibal Princess and the Triangle Girl

Favorite Shoes: ZOMG Meg's Masquerade Boots... they're so pink... and awesome. And Christine's Masquerade boots. (Especially the US version, they're gorgeous.)
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:17 pm

Favourite Madame Giry: Definately Heather Jackson. I like Miranda Richardson's Madame Giry, but I hate the accent she uses.

Favourite costume: The Wishing gown, the wedding dress, the Point of No Return dress and the purple one that Madame Firmin wears.

Favourite underrated "characters:" Wardrobe Mistress, especially when Ellen Jackson's on!

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind Phan Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:18 am

Hehehe, I love the things you guys notice!

Favourite scenes: Final Lair for sheer emotional impact, and Title Song through MOTN for sheer dark majesty!

Favourite costumes: the Phantom's Title Song and MOTN outfit *hot!* and Christine's wedding dress *sigh*.

Favourite Mme. Giry: Moranda Richardson, and all the ones I remember from the Toronto production. I don't remember hearing one there whom I didn't like.

Favourite managers: definitely the two guys on the OLC! They never fail to crack me up!

Favourite under-rated character: actually, Meg. I wish her character and her relationship to Christine were half as developed in the actual show as they are in the Phanfiction! There's so much there that's intriguing but undeveloped. Of course, that just gives us more delicious ambiguities to play with! But still,... Also Reyer and for similar reasons.

Blind Phan

http://www.phantomfemme.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:24 am

Favourite moment in the show:

The music right before Raoul starts to sing in the Auction scene - that's when I realize I'm seeing Phantom for real, and that there's hours of joy ahead. Very Happy
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantomlove Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Favourite underrated character: The monkey girl from Masquerade.

Favourite props: The music box, the Hannibal poster, the dress from Christine's dressing room, the Phantom's feathered hat from the graveyard scene and Passarinos hat.

Favourite scenes: The final lair, PONR and the section from Christine's TOM to Stranger than you dreamt it. And masquerade too should be mentioned. And Hannibal. Ooops, loads of favourite scenes cheers .

Phantomlove

http://siggesot.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 am

operafantomet wrote:...and favourite Madame Girys:

Mary Millar, Heather Jackson, Josie Benson, Anette Yeo, Monica Einarson, Gabrielle Ramm, Marie Bo and (surprisingly) Miranda Richardson

Miranda Richardson? *cringes* Actually, she would have been exceptionally more tolerable had she lost her attempt at a French accent and just stuck to her normal British lilt. That's just my opinion, of course.

Favorite non-lead costume: Dual-gender Masquerader

Favorite Madame Giry: Leila Martin, hands down Smile

Favorite addition to the Las Vegas Production: (highlight for spoilers!) The part where the Phantom walks out onto the catwalk during the Il Muto ballet, gets into a fight with Buquet, wraps a noose around the stagehand's neck, dumps him over the rail, and stalks off, laughing maniacally as Buquet strangles to death. Very Happy

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 am

Madame Giry wrote:

Miranda Richardson? *cringes* Actually, she would have been exceptionally more tolerable had she lost her attempt at a French accent and just stuck to her normal British lilt. That's just my opinion, of course.

~Madame~
I agree wholeheartedly (is that a word?). The accent was not just misplaced but also SO unconvincing. It was like a parody of some French inspector. I wish someone would have put their foot down for that, especially since she was the only one with such an accent.

But what I did like, was her take on the role - a slightly cynical, worn-out madame, maybe a bit addicted to something to get her through the day - but also one who had been a beauty and could look back on an interesting life. And I also liked how she and Meg looked a lot alike. In many ways she lacked the dignity of the stage Madame's, but her additional take on the role was one of the few character changes I actually liked in the movie. I do prefer the stage interpretations, though, and I disagree with Miranda Richardson (or was it Joel Shoemaker) about the stage Madame's being nothing but "an exclamation point". Neutral
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 am

operafantomet wrote:
Madame Giry wrote:

~Madame~
I agree wholeheartedly (is that a word?). The accent was not just misplaced but also SO unconvincing. It was like a parody of some French inspector. I wish someone would have put their foot down for that, especially since she was the only one with such an accent.

But what I did like, was her take on the role - a slightly cynical, worn-out madame, maybe a bit addicted to something to get her through the day - but also one who had been a beauty and could look back on an interesting life. And I also liked how she and Meg looked a lot alike. In many ways she lacked the dignity of the stage Madame's, but her additional take on the role was one of the few character changes I actually liked in the movie. I do prefer the stage interpretations, though, and I disagree with Miranda Richardson (or was it Joel Shoemaker) about the stage Madame's being nothing but "an exclamation point". Neutral

The explanation they gave for the bizarre variety of accents in that film was so lame. "Oh, but the Paris Opera would have been really international..."...er, that doesn't explain why Monsieur le Vicomte has a different accent from everyone who is supposed to be French, nor does it explain why said everyone else who is supposed to be French does not possess ze same acceeeeeeent as Richardson's Giry. Rolling Eyes
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 am

Scorp wrote:The explanation they gave for the bizarre variety of accents in that film was so lame. "Oh, but the Paris Opera would have been really international..."...er, that doesn't explain why Monsieur le Vicomte has a different accent from everyone who is supposed to be French, nor does it explain why said everyone else who is supposed to be French does not possess ze same acceeeeeeent as Richardson's Giry. Rolling Eyes
I agree. Neutral Tons of French persons there, and only one with an accent. And those who ought to have an accent, had the wrong one (Scandinavian Christine with a heavy American accent, anyone?) That part was (also) a mess.

I think the reason why Richardson got to keep that silly accent, was that when she was cast she was given much liberty on how to do the role. If I remember correctly, she and Schumacher had long discussions re: the role before she was cast (that's where the stage!Madame = an exclamation point came up). Schumacher is said to have been most impressed with both her ideas and her solid acting that she was allowed to take the role as far as she wanted. Don't know if that's true, but that would give a context for the silly accent, at least.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 pm

Favourite prop: the mask (pref. london and toronto), the firecane, Vegas chandelier, the fedora, the organ (little seat and candles included.
Favourite costume: red death (london or early broadway), the phantom's mandarin robe ( I refer to it as the mandarin robe, don't know what is really is), the amnita dress and the phantom's cloak.
Favourite scene: Down once more, wandering child, the mirror and why so silent.
Favourite production: London, Vegas, Toronto and Vancouver, Hamburg.
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 pm

thephanfullerton wrote:Favourite costume: (...) the phantom's mandarin robe ( I refer to it as the mandarin robe, don't know what is really is) (...)
Mandarin is a Chinese dialect, and in elder times also the title of officials in the Chinese empire. The costume the Phantom wears when composing is similar to these Chinese officials, hinting of his past and his many travels. Hence the "Mandarin costume". Smile

Just a random picture example from Google:
http://www.antique-prints.de/shop/Media/Shop/8646.jpg
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Favourite productions: Vienna, Antwerp, Scheveningen, Stockholm, Copenhagen
Favourite scenes: Prima Donna, Masquerade, Final Lair
Favourite costumes: Carlotta's B/W dress, man/woman costume
Favourite Madame Girys: Mary Millar, Diana Bennet
Favourite Piangis: Sergio Lombana, Björn Haugan
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Updated LIST!!
Favourite prop: The candles and candelabras, the firecane, Vegas chandelier, the fedora.
Favourite costume: Aminta (UK= fave version of dress) PONR cloak.
Favourite scene: The transition between Piangi's death and Down once more, PONR, wandering child, the mirror and why so silent.
Favourite production: Toronto, Hamburg, Scheveningen and of course... London!!! Other favourites include Sweden, Copenhagen and Madrid.
Favourite members of creative team: Christopher Tucker, Bob Saunders, Hal prince, Charles Hart and... Gillian Lynne!
Fave deformity: London+Toronto
Fave Piangi: Rohan Tickel.
Favourite Red Death Costume: Early Broadway, London 2000+
Favourite masks: Peter Karrie's Toronto, Scott Davies first run, JOJ both runs.
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:38 am

operafantomet wrote:Favourite moment in the show:

The music right before Raoul starts to sing in the Auction scene - that's when I realize I'm seeing Phantom for real, and that there's hours of joy ahead. Very Happy

I always have the same reaction, operafantomet.

Favourite prop: The letters, Giry's cane.
Favourite costume: Christine's dressing gown, Raoul's Hussar costume.
Favourite scene: The Mirror, 2nd Managers, Graveyard trio (London only), Final Lair.
Favourite production: Of the 4 I have seen- London.
Favourite members of creative team: Hal Prince, Gillian Lynne, Martin Levan, David Cullen and ALW as orchestrators.
Fave deformity: The current London deformity.
Fave Piangi: I really liked Larry Wayne Morbitt on Broadway a decade ago...
Favourite Red Death Costume: Early Broadway
Favourite masks: JOJ's, Hamburg, Antwerp, Australia, 1990s Broadway.

Last edited by MajesticPhantom on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 pm

MajesticPhantom wrote:
Fave Piangi: I really liked Larry Wayne Morbitt on Broadway a decade ago...

I really liked Larry as Piangi so much. Especially that grin when he FINALLY made it onto the elephant during the Hannibal rehearsals.

Favorite random thing: The chatelaine that Madame Giry wears at her waist. I want it!
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:50 am

Favourite masquerade ensemble costume: the blue hair woman/fairy/triton thing

Favourite Red Death costume/mask: Broadway

Favourite candelabras (they do change slightly): Broadway

Favourite proscenium setup (in relation to the theatre): Broadway closely followed by London

Favourite moment in the show: the appearance in the mirror

Favourite Phantom theatre: Her Majesty's (would have said Pantages but you know how it is)

Favourite CD: Swedish

Favourite backdrop design: Don Juan (not the Vegas one)

Favourite deformity: Original London/Broadway/US one
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:46 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:Favourite moment in the show: the appearance in the mirror
With you there. Either that or the Phantom's final line.

Favorite line to sing: "see why in shadow I hide..."
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunvendor Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:42 pm

I think that my favourite line would be:
'Too long you've wondered in winter; far from my fathering gaze...'
OG
Bunvendor
Bunvendor

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Also throwing out some least favourites..

Favourite chandeliers: Vienna, for being all around awesome, and Hamburg, for being so big and shiny. I love you

Favourite candelabras: Stuttgart and Broadway.

Favourite cast recording: A tie between the Viennese, Swedish and the Dutch one. I listened to the OLCR too much back in the day, and I just can't.. feel it anymore. Sad Least favourite would be the Polish recording.. also the Hamburg recording was a huge dissapointment for me.

Favourite orchestrations: Vienna and Copenhagen. Least favourite would be the Australian tour ones, they were awful.

Favourite masks: Hamburg

Favourite deformity: Hamburg

Favourite costumes (in general): Hamburg

Favourite line(s): "Monsieur, I bid you welcome! Did you think that I would harm her? Why should I make her pay for the sins which are yours? Order your fine horses now! Raise up your hand to the level of your eyes! Nothing can save you now - except perhaps Christine ..."
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

thephanfullerton wrote:I think that my favourite line would be:
OG

lol, I'm still not a fan of changing it from far reaching to fathering, it is just creepy that at that point in the show he is still being 'fatherly' or trying to appear to be. Yes she is at her father's grave so there are some unresolved issues, but to still try to come accross as a daddy figure after the whole lair scene to me is somewhat creepy.

Thankfully they only use that line some of the time.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:
thephanfullerton wrote:I think that my favourite line would be:
OG

lol, I'm still not a fan of changing it from far reaching to fathering, it is just creepy that at that point in the show he is still being 'fatherly' or trying to appear to be. Yes she is at her father's grave so there are some unresolved issues, but to still try to come accross as a daddy figure after the whole lair scene to me is somewhat creepy.

Thankfully they only use that line some of the time.

But isn't that the whole point? After all, Raoul comes on soon after to tell Christine that "this man, this thing is not [her] father".

I like the "fatherly" lyric. If it's creepy, then GOOD, that's as it should be.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down