Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the BIG names in PotO?

+4
operafantomet
Cape Twirl of Doom
SenorSwanky
Raphael
8 posters

Go down

Who are the BIG names in PotO? Empty Who are the BIG names in PotO?

Post  Raphael Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:30 am

Phantom's been around for almost 25 years now, and aside from the original cast, who do you think have been the standout "names" that came out of the show? Not necessarily your favorites, but what actors and actresses are deeply associated with the show due to their involvement in it?

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Who are the BIG names in PotO? Empty Re: Who are the BIG names in PotO?

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:02 am

I don't know that anyone else has made their name primarily because of Phantom, at least not huge household names on the level of Crawford and Brightman. Certainly lots of performers are known mostly for being in Phantom, and there are big performers like Colm and McGillin who already had a lot of success but are also associated with playing the title role.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Cape Twirl of Doom Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:56 am

Honestly, other than Crawford & Brightman, I don't think there has been anyone who became a "name" due to starring in Phantom, (in the theatre world, OK, but certainly not to the general public) it's just not that kind of show. Plus the fact that it's been running continuously for so long means that it's never had the chance to be nominated for any revival awards, or had a second cast recording.
Cape Twirl of Doom
Cape Twirl of Doom

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:13 am

Oh, I don't necessarily mean big outside of Phantom, more like - within the Phandom, who are the heavy-hitters? Such as the focal points of massive fan camps that caused the epic Actor Wars of years ago. Karrie comes to mind as one of the big names. McGillin definitely and I suppose to some extent Wilkinson (although I imagine he found wider acclaim in the Les Miz community than he did with us, but I could be wrong).

Anyone else? Are there any well-known and/or loved Christines? Raouls? Megs? Carlottas? etc.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:28 am

If I've understood you correctly, you want those "everyone" is familiar with, and whose portrayal is generally considered very good. It would be performers lots of people have seen because they did the role for a long time or in many productions, or because they are featured in a cast album. Such a list is of course up to interpretation (which is why you ask...), but from the top of my head, I would say...

PHANTOMS: Michael Crawford, Anthony Warlow, Peter Karrie, John Owen Jones, Ethan Freeman, Mikael Samuelson, Howard McGillin, Colm Wilkinson, Gary Mauer, Thomas Schulze, Henk Poort, Scott Davies, Brad Little, Hugh Panaro, Dave Willetts, Saulo Vasconcelos, Ian Jon Bourg

CHRISTINES: Sarah Brightman, Claire Moore, Rebecca Caine, Jill Washington, Elisabeth Berg, Sandra Joseph, Dale Kristien, Ana Marina, Colby Thomas, Joke de Kruijf, Sierra Boggess, Kimilee Bryant, Rachel Barrell, Patti Cohenour, Lisa Vroman, Celia Graham

RAOULS: Steve Barton, John Cudia, Ramin Karimloo, Michael Shawn Lewis, Björn Olsson, Tim Martin Gleason, John Bowles

For my personal preferences I would also list Flemming Enevold + Earl Carpenter as the Phantom, Gina Beck as Christine, and Ramin Karimloo + Tomas Ambt Kofod as Raoul. And I'm sure I forgot tons of people in the lists above...
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin1976 Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am

I'd have to say Maria Björnson. Even though she is no longer with us and designed many major pieces of work, I instantly think of 'Phantom' when I hear her name and instantly visualise the sets and costumes.

justin1976

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm

I'd also throw Alexander Goebel into that mix...

In America, Jennifer Hope Wills really made an impression as Christine this past decade. I wouldn't necessarily put her on the international scale, but she really helped shift the role in this country back to its youthful beginnings. When she was cast as the NY alternate in 2006, she was completely new to the show, and was very different from ever other actress to have played the role for YEARS. (She was the first Christine I'd seen in some time who approached the role as an actor-singer, rather than a singer-actor).
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Neat topic idea! I'd also wondered which POTO performers most people in the Phan community knew of.

I'd also add Anthony Crivello and possibly Brent Barrett to the list of Phantoms, along with Juan Carlos Barona and Luis Armando (in Barona's case, doing one of the movie dubs probably helped him become more well-known), and Uwe Kröger (though he's most well-known for Elisabeth; I'd assume most German Phans and those in his fanbase are aware that he's done the role, also helped by the fact that he did a dub of the movie). And though Ramin Karimloo played Raoul not too long ago, I think these days, he's much more well-known for playing the Phantom in both the original and <the show that shall not be named>. Yuichiro Yamaguchi is also pretty well-known; a lot of Phans rank him as their favorite of the Japanese Phantoms, and he also has a pretty huge fanbase in the world of Japanese theater as well as TV and film. Masachika Ichimura might also qualify, though he's much more known for voice-acting in films than doing live theater.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomgirl110 Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:21 am

George Lee Andrews, D.C. Anderson, and Kim Stengel all come to mind as long-running fan favorites. Surely they would all be considered big names in the Phantom world, yes?
phantomgirl110
phantomgirl110

http://freewebs.com/little-meg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:58 am

Ummmm, someone has obviously hijacked Mandy's account up there because there's no way that's actually her..... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down