Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love Never Dies - all views allowed

+54
phantomphan1992
Lucy
operaphan
Lycanthrope
justin-from-barbados
sk8phan
auctioneer
Soprano Rose
Madame Giry
Viscountess
ML6
Josephine
LoveShouldDie
Demodiki
starryeyed
Riene
MCfan
orange_peas
ladyghost
IamErik771
Amyable_Nature
phantom10906
The White Half-Mask
Phantom on a Budget
AngelofMusic
fondestgreeting
tiawhitecat
Cape Twirl of Doom
PhantomJT
MasqPhan
phantomgirl110
TGITPC
aussiephan
Mandrake
Becky
Christine's Shadow
InkedAlchemist
Rebecca
LadyCDaae
Callie Daae
Raphael
HDKingsbury
Phantomlove
SenorSwanky
Amberly_Nichole
Helen
Miss von Krolock
EarlFan
carlottawannabe
operafantomet
HerMajesty
Phantom Cat
Scorp
Paula74
58 posters

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 20 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Mandrake Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:58 pm

operafantomet wrote:I'm sorry for you. I know preview performances always is a risk, but it still sucks none-the-less to have the whole trip screwed up. I'm thinking they'll do a public rehearsal, though. If the previews aren't sold out by now, I'm sure they'll be interested in keeping your money in the system and in general avoid as many refunds as they can.

Thanks Smile

Thinking about it more calmly, I agree that it sounds fairly likely they'll open the dress rehearsal. I guess they wouldn't have even raised the possibility if they didn't think it was very likely.

And in fairness to them, the email is very polite, open and apologetic.

So a "dress rehearsal"... This would just be the characters in costume, possibly limited scenery and no (or limited) "special effects"?

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Love Never Dies - all views allowed - Page 20 Empty Re: Love Never Dies - all views allowed

Post  Madame Giry Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Mandrake wrote:

So a "dress rehearsal"... This would just be the characters in costume, possibly limited scenery and no (or limited) "special effects"?

I'm sorry to hear your plans have been disturbed by this turn of events, and I really do hope you can get to the dress rehearsal. As I recall, in the First Year Backstage book, photos from the dress rehearsal of Phantom showed that the actors were in costume, but things like makeup/wigs weren't worn by some actors, so maybe that's what you'll get to see.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:10 pm

ML6 wrote:
dolly-ry wrote:I have a picture of him face down in the bar in between singing for some reason...

I'm beginning to hope a WHOLE DIFFERENT (and better story) takes place in that bar. Yay, Raoul is going to go on a drunken adventure so much more amazing than this stupid musical.

Oh I like that idea... party on cheers Ha! I can just imagine that, maybe he'll throw plant pots off the pier and the background can be psychadelic colours...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:34 pm

dolly-ry wrote:
ML6 wrote:
dolly-ry wrote:I have a picture of him face down in the bar in between singing for some reason...

I'm beginning to hope a WHOLE DIFFERENT (and better story) takes place in that bar. Yay, Raoul is going to go on a drunken adventure so much more amazing than this stupid musical.

Oh I like that idea... party on cheers Ha! I can just imagine that, maybe he'll throw plant pots off the pier and the background can be psychadelic colours...

It's all beginning to sound like The Shining.

"I'm sorry to differ with you, Sir; but you are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know, Sir. I've always been here."

Doesn't look good for young Gustave. Perhaps someone is going to "correct" him.

The Shining "Bathroom" scene (very strong language)

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:43 pm

I didn't even make The Shining connection, I do love that film. But now I have Raoul as some sort of Jack Nicholson character, certainly not good for Poor Gustave. Squelch, Fleck and Gangle could be the equivalent of those freaky Shining twins (yes I know they are a trio...) always trying to lure Gustave to play with them.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Mandrake wrote:So a "dress rehearsal"... This would just be the characters in costume, possibly limited scenery and no (or limited) "special effects"?
A dress rehearsal is usually the full show, it's the first time all of the scenery is in use together with cast in costumes and full orchestra. Only cast and orchestra together is "sitzprobe". I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but the dress rehearsal is usually the full show with various glitches. Smile
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 am

This has probaly been commented on already...

...but the songs "Love Never Dies" and "You Must Love Me" are extremely similar.

Take the verse from YMLM:

Why are you at my side
How can I be any use to you now
Give me a chance, and I'll let you see how
Nothing has changed.

And sing it to the second refrain of LND (when the melody goes up at the second line)... study
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:46 pm

I think it shows something when I automatically did sing it to the second refrain without even reading the part where you told us to...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Damn, you're right. ALW is getting even lazier than I thought...

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:54 pm

There's a part at the end of a stanza where there's a rest, and I swore Sierra was going to sing "You must love me" next. The end of that stanza sounds like the end of the stanza before the You Must Love Me chorus.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm still itching to find out more info about the set, saw an article about the lighting design, but that didn't give too much away.

So far we know there will be
turntables
fire
a complicated lit cyclorama (which usually means what ever scene that is used in it will be bright not gloomy, i'm thinking a background like Aida, Wicked, Lion King)
some sort of coney island atrractions/ride
lots of fog and mist
something that takes up the whole backwall and is very tall (I guess they must keep it behind the cyclorama like the tusks in Lion King)
nothing major in the front of house areas (in the auditorium, unless it is something hanging from the roof of the theatre)

Anyone know what company is building the sets? I am sure I saw it mentioned before, but just can't think where.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

More on the set remarks:

Sierra had said there was something to the set the plays a trick on the audience. Wonder what that will be.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm

MasqPhan wrote:More on the set remarks:

Sierra had said there was something to the set the plays a trick on the audience. Wonder what that will be.

The mirrors the Phantom has installed in one of his newest attractions. Squelch, Gangle, and Fleck sing that the mirrors are decieving and they show you a different image than your own.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm

or Sierra's robot double jumps off stage and gives the front row a lap dance
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:03 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:or Sierra's robot double jumps off stage and gives the front row a lap dance

OMG. ??!!?! I just snorted really loud. It's like CATS all over again!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:08 pm

justin-from-barbados wrote:or Sierra's robot double jumps off stage and gives the front row a lap dance

i just about died reading that. two points for Justin! cheers

on a rather random side note-- the LND youtube channel did a entire video of Ramin and Sierra. At least they seem to be having fun?
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:02 am

Want something new to chew on? He's a Daily Mail article by Baz Bamigboye that was published Feb 12.
Daily Mail Article Link

Here's a snippet.
"In the first show, directed by Hal Prince more than a quarter of a century ago, the show got by with the sweep of Lloyd Webber's melodies, the power of Michael Crawford's performance as the Phantom and the stunning visual imagination of designer Maria Bjornson.
'It's lovely, but I don't know what the *beep* happened in the first one,' O'Brien joked.
Even Lloyd Webber concedes 'that if anyone actually analysed the story of the original Phantom musical you'd throw it out the window in ten minutes'. " Shocked
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:17 am

MasqPhan wrote:Want something new to chew on? He's a Daily Mail article by Baz Bamigboye that was published Feb 12.
Daily Mail Article Link

Here's a snippet.
"In the first show, directed by Hal Prince more than a quarter of a century ago, the show got by with the sweep of Lloyd Webber's melodies, the power of Michael Crawford's performance as the Phantom and the stunning visual imagination of designer Maria Bjornson.
'It's lovely, but I don't know what the *beep* happened in the first one,' O'Brien joked.
Even Lloyd Webber concedes 'that if anyone actually analysed the story of the original Phantom musical you'd throw it out the window in ten minutes'. " Shocked

Ehm, ok. Excuse me but....WTF? Shocked
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 am

More from that article:

About LND: "The versions of it before had been a bad mistake", Lloyd Webber acknowledged this week.

The version of it now is a bad mistake

"Heaven knows, what with everything that has gone on lately for me (a nod to his cancer) this could be the last big, full-scale piece I write myself"

Please no, don't let this be what people will remember as ALW's last masterpiece.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:42 pm

That article just heightened my already well-developed suspicions that Mr Bamigboye is on RUG's payroll. It's so blatant...that "article" was essentially a hyped-up press release.

(O/T Earlfan: nice av, do you own the Sunset tour brochure? If so, can you post more pics some day? Smile).

Also Justin -- I agree, 'Love Never Dies' is too long a title to be used as the vertical strip. I don't find it readable at all from the other side of the Strand like I did with Chicago, Evita and Joseph. Not that I care if that prevents tourists from finding the theatre... Razz

They've finished the marquee now -- it's that hideous sexbot mask complete with flashing lights. I'll upload a pic of it onto the centenary Twitter in a sec.

Mandrake, any chance of you nabbing a ticket to Phantom instead on the evening of the 20th? I'm going with dolly-ry to see it as a 'protest' against LND that night, lol.

On a weirder note, I am still feeling a mixture of embarrassment/shame and omg-hilarity for getting caught by Lord Lloyd-Webber himself yesterday ripping up Love Never Dies flyers outside the Adelphi........affraid Embarassed Laughing Not that this stopped me from making my way to Her Majesty's to do the same thing, where fortunately he didn't pop out at random and catch me in the act. Yeah, I know, I'm childish. I don't care.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:45 pm

MasqPhan wrote:Want something new to chew on? He's a Daily Mail article by Baz Bamigboye that was published Feb 12.
Daily Mail Article Link

Here's a snippet.

"Don't ask any questions, dear boy. It just works." ~Alan Jay Lerner to ALW, on the original

The book is not the original's strongest point, but as interpreted by a strong cast and Prince's staging, it is very effective. That the creative team feels they need to belittle the original, which has been so successful in so many markets for so long now, in order to justify this current travesty says a lot, I think.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Scorp when you said you'd post later then didn't I thought one of ALW's minions had kidnapped you or something and forced you to say "Love Never Dies is the greatest thing since slice bread" over and over again. *shudder* What an awful image.

Oh I didn't think of that, yes Mandrake try nab a ticket to Phantom that night, and anyone else who may be in the area. It's our silent, non-violent protest.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Riene Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:01 pm

EarlFan wrote:More from that article:

"Heaven knows, what with everything that has gone on lately for me (a nod to his cancer) this could be the last big, full-scale piece I write myself"

Please no, don't let this be what people will remember as ALW's last masterpiece.

I fear it will be his last one because it will be such a fiasco, a financial failure, and will get him scorned as having lost his skills. But hey, if the shoe fits....
Riene
Riene

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rienerose

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Riene wrote:
EarlFan wrote:More from that article:

I fear it will be his last one because it will be such a fiasco, a financial failure, and will get him scorned as having lost his skills. But hey, if the shoe fits....

His last what? Masterpiece? His only true 'masterpieces' IMHO are Phantom and Evita. I like JCS and Sunset but neither are good enough to be called masterpieces. The guy is such a workaholic though that he won't stop composing despite the fact all the recent stuff has been dreck. This will hopefully just go the same way as his last three shows.
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Scorp wrote:
On a weirder note, I am still feeling a mixture of embarrassment/shame and omg-hilarity for getting caught by Lord Lloyd-Webber himself yesterday ripping up Love Never Dies flyers outside the Adelphi.

Scorp, you just became my hero. Very Happy

Oh and that article about Phantom's plot being throw-away worthy? *snort* Right. That's why it's run 24 years, made over $5 billion worldwide and... *sigh* The man should be thanking his lucky stars that he was able to pull that off (with a lot of great talent backing him up). Ingrate.

By the way, I remember someone asking earlier about what original Phantom creative team members thought about LND. I won't mention names, but a good Phantom friend of mine who worked for a regional theater production in the US was fortunate enough to have one of the Big Names from the original Phantom on the production team. When he asked this person for their thoughts on LND the person basically said it was a terrible idea and apparently everyone from the original creative team had begged Lloyd Webber not to go through with it, and no one wanted to be involved with it.

Can't blame them for not trying. Oy.

~Madame~

Last edited by Madame Giry on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Madame Giry wrote:
Scorp wrote:
On a weirder note, I am still feeling a mixture of embarrassment/shame and omg-hilarity for getting caught by Lord Lloyd-Webber himself yesterday ripping up Love Never Dies flyers outside the Adelphi.

Scorp, you just became my hero. Very Happy

Oh and that article about Phantom's plot being throw-away worthy? *snort* Right. That's why it's run 24 years, made over $5 billion worldwide and... *sigh* The man should be thanking his lucky stars that he was able to pull that off (with a lot of great talent backing him up). Ingrate.

By the way, I remember someone asking earlier about what original Phantom creative team members thought about LND. I won't mention names, but a good Phantom friend of mine who worked for a regional theater production in the US was fortunate enough to have one of the Big Names from the original Phantom on the production team. When he asked this person for their thoughts on LND the person basically said it was a terrible idea and apparently everyone from the original creative team had begged Lloyd Webber not to go through with it, and no one wanted to be involved with it.

Can't blame them for not trying. Oy.

~Madame~

Are we allowed to know which Big Name said that (not the name of your friend)? No worries if not.

And ALW's at it again this morning, dismissing Phantom as hokum. Reminds me about all the stuff he said when he was talking about casting the film...all the stuff that angered TMCPMC. http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/theatre/article7024068.ece

I think I'm going to write a letter to that newspaper and speak my mind as per LSD's advice.

Last edited by Scorp on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Reminds me of Demi Moore promoting her film version of The Scarlet Letter by insisting the original novel was a dense, dull book that hardly anyone had actually read. Rolling Eyes

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:47 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:Reminds me of Demi Moore promoting her film version of The Scarlet Letter by insisting the original novel was a dense, dull book that hardly anyone had actually read. Rolling Eyes

~LCD

I love that book...and hated the film so much that I didn't set foot inside a movie theater for the next five years.

Madame Giry wrote: When he asked this person for their thoughts on LND the person basically said it was a terrible idea and apparently everyone from the original creative team had begged Lloyd Webber not to go through with it, and no one wanted to be involved with it.

Well, they have my undying love simply for trying.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Daily Mail Article Link

Here's a snippet.
WTF?! He's trashing his own musical?

Scorp wrote:On a weirder note, I am still feeling a mixture of embarrassment/shame and omg-hilarity for getting caught by Lord Lloyd-Webber himself yesterday ripping up Love Never Dies flyers outside the Adelphi........
Laughing Awesome. Tell more.

I wonder if ALW actually asked Hal and others from the original creative team to be involved in LND, and if his defiance in proceeding with the sequel is reflected in his trashing of what that original creative team produced. But is it smart to trash such a loved production, especially when this sequel is ostensibly a continuation of it? Wouldn't that basically mean that the sequel is also trash?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:29 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Wouldn't that basically mean that the sequel is also trash?
Of course not, because the sequel is a "standalone piece." Laughing
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next