Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guilty Musical Pleasures

+8
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Viscountess
starryeyed
IamErik771
LadyCDaae
TheFinnishPhantom
operafantomet
ladygodiva
12 posters

Go down

Guilty Musical Pleasures Empty Guilty Musical Pleasures

Post  ladygodiva Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Anyone else in the closet for loving Starlight Express, Moby Dick?

two of my many guilty pleasures

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Guilty Musical Pleasures Empty Re: Guilty Musical Pleasures

Post  operafantomet Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:17 am

My guilty musical pleasure is "Which Witch". Flawed or not, it holds a big, soft spot in my heart. Or actually, I love it to pieces!
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Carrie the Musical and Dance of the Vampires.

I'm sorry.

I cant get over them.

"They don't teach that in school!"

"She's too good!"
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Guilty Musical Pleasures Empty Guilty Musical Pleasures

Post  ladygodiva Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:41 pm

I forgot Carrie, Loved it as well it ran too short it deserved to run, Betty Buckley was wonderful as the mother, as well as Barbara Cook, and a young Lindsay Hately ( Un sure of the spelling ) very, very good score, underated in my book

Have not got to see Dance of the Vampires, loved the music and the story, Love hearing and seeing and reading about it though, I do plan on going to Europe in 2012, hopefully it will be running somewhere.

Also liked Which Witch, as well

a Guilty TV Pleasure of mine is Dynasty the television series with Joan Collins.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:44 am

Jekyll and Hyde. What can I say, I'm a sucker for melodrama--but you guys probably already figured that out. Cool

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:59 pm

Agreed re: Jekyll & Hyde. The severely neutered Broadway version aside, I love the story, and when the show is cast well, it can be a fantastic experience.

I'm also a huge fan of many of Frank Wildhorn's other shows, even though lots of American critics love to bash him. I especially enjoyed his Dracula; I found it truer to the original than many of the film versions, despite the Coppola-esque portrayal of Drac's relationship with Mina. True, some of the lyrics were pretty bad... but hey, even POTO and Les Mis had their lyrically weak moments.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Love Never Dies? Oh come on you know I'm joking.

I'll go for We Will Rock You. Awful story yet there's something about it...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah... I'm going to have to say Love Never Dies. Musically, I rather like it a lot.

I'd even say Mamma Mia because something just doesn't sit right with me when the musical is basically songs that have already been written *Insert ALW joke right here*
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  Vicomtesse de Chagny Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Hm... it's no secret that I love Starlight Express (proud fan, just not so fond of the recent tour versions) - and Jekyll & Hyde, but for some reason it seems my friends keep forgetting that it even exsists. J/H, that is. Laughing

I think I'm gonna have to say Bernard J. Tayler's Nosferatu. I'm always going on about how sick and tired I am of vampires and vampire musicals, and in most cases this is true, but I do like this version. Judging from the CD alone it doesn't seem to be as 'grand' as some of the others, but if you like a musical that's true to the book it was based on it's worth checking out.
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Vicomtesse de Chagny

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:10 am

Ah, yes, I love Nosferatu! Sure, some of the songs are a bit repetitive... but it has such an amazing cast! Peter Karrie, Claire Moore, Mario Frangoulis, Barry James, and Mark Wynter... Cool

And yeah, I'm not a fan of most "jukebox musicals," though if I really like the original artists/songs, then I'll be more likely to enjoy them. For that reason, I'm much more into We Will Rock You and the movie Across the Universe than Mamma Mia, for example. Stage "biopics" like Jersey Boys also kind of appeal to me because at least then the story's not so silly.

Though if the songs are changed significantly so that they can be made to fit a pretty good story (rather than a hokey plot that they try to make fit a bunch of unrelated songs), especially if several new songs are written for the show as well, then I think at that point it ceases to be a "jukebox musical." I think that's a big part of why I love Tanz der Vampire so much, yet am a bit iffy about Jim Steinman's apparent plan to bring Bat Out Of Hell to the stage.
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:30 pm

You guys ready?

I love the Disney Channel Musicals.

There, I said it.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:55 am

I actually just saw High School Musical for the first time, it was a guilty pleasure

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:45 am

I saw High School Musical on stage as well. Not in the demographic it is geared towards but I enjoyed it a lot.

My current passion is Rock of Ages if one wants to call it a "guilty pleasure." Smile I had not heard of it and nearly passed it up, but decided at the very last minute to see the tour when I discovered it had 80's tunes. As I like 80's music, I thought I would give it a try. Did not do my homework before going so was not certain what to expect. I can't say enough positive things about it. If one likes 80's music or was a teen during that time frame, they might enjoy the show. I liked it so much that I went and saw it again a few weeks later in another tour city near me, and I am making a road trip to Indianapolis in April to see it again. I describe the show this way....it's energetic, has lots of humor, an incredible cast, and you have such a good time that you want to experience it again. I haven't laughed as much since seeing The Scarlet Pimpernel for the first time in 2000.
Miranda
Miranda

Back to top Go down

Post  RoseOfTransylvania Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Did someone mention Which which? I have heard only one song of it, so it doesn´t count. Enjoyed it a lot. Very Happy
RoseOfTransylvania
RoseOfTransylvania

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:42 am

RoseOfTransylvania wrote:Did someone mention Which which? I have heard only one song of it, so it doesn´t count. Enjoyed it a lot. Very Happy

Of course it counts, and it is good to get it out and say we enjoy something,

On to another guilty pleasure, Beach Blanket Bingo, and How to Stuff a Wild Bikini, with Frankie and Annette, those of you who don't know, Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello (one of the original Disney Musketeers), fun movies, dancing and singing, love, love, love these movies.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Puppetboy Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:24 pm

Saw Maria Kesstleman twice in Which Witch and though parts were, shall we say a bit poor lyrics-wise there were moments in that show that had me hooked. And both Maria and Vivian Parry were fantasic. Even got a sound desk recording of MK and MC from Phantom through those meetings! Seek out the video anyone who blinked during that run.

Loved Moby Dick too..

Puppetboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Puppetboy Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Saw Maria Kesstleman twice in Which Witch and though parts were, shall we say a bit poor lyrics-wise there were moments in that show that had me hooked. And both Maria and Vivian Parry were fantasic. Even got a sound desk recording of MK and MC from Phantom through those meetings! Seek out the video anyone who blinked during that run.

Loved Moby Dick too..

Puppetboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down