Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soapbox! Share your rants!

+16
RoseOfTransylvania
TheFinnishPhantom
Alyssa
starryeyed
SenorSwanky
Christine's Shadow
phantom10906
ML6
Callie Daae
Phantomlove
MasqPhan
Elisabetta611
phantomphan1992
operafantomet
Becky
Josephine
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Soapbox! Share your rants! - Page 2 Empty Re: Soapbox! Share your rants!

Post  phantom10906 Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 am

starryeyed wrote:Why are men so random? Why after a number of years can you still not understand them at times? Really? I'd love to hear a mans P.O.V on this.

One might ask the same thing about women. Wink
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:52 am

phantom10906 wrote:
starryeyed wrote:Why are men so random? Why after a number of years can you still not understand them at times? Really? I'd love to hear a mans P.O.V on this.

I'd like to ask the same thing about Gerbils
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 am

Alyssa wrote:
phantom10906 wrote:

I'd like to ask the same thing about Gerbils

While I am not an expert on men, I wish that I was, I have dated a few, not many, I was once engaged, I hope you can understand them more, 9 times out of 10, I end up being freinds with most of my exes, except the two that I wanted to smack.. It sometimes does help to ask men, what is the matter, some men are not just that demonstrative in their feelings. Some men are just as afraid to say things to Women. and men are afraid of getting hurt just as well. take pity on them they are the weaker sex.

I shouldn't have been so glib, if you like or love someone TELL THEM, believe me I wished I knew then what I know now, Just Tell them, bare your soul to them, believe me you will regret the things that you do not say. remember the significant other just needs to hear it from your lips, believe me.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:28 pm

I love the new booking system on delfontmackintosh.co.uk... For Les Mis (all their shows, I think) you can now drill down into a seat-plan of the auditorium and select your seat. So nice to use & to see what's available; so much better than other online companies/ resellers who give you (at best) what they consider the "best available" seat and tell you its number... Sometimes not even that, sometimes just a general area like "Orchestra Stalls" which is useless. Such a big difference between row B and row P. I like to sit near the end of a row (not best view but at least you don't have to wait for everybody & their granny to get out of your way at the end & interval) so it's nice to see all the available options in one place.

It's sometimes such a hassle to get tickets for Phantom. Although See are the main resellers, they seem to have different blocks of seats available online and on the phone. Plus Phantom's tickets seem to be more widely distributed amongst various resellers and they all charge a considerable mark-up. You wind up having to go round 5 different vendors to find the most suitable available seats and to pay a premium fo the privilege.

The more I see of Delf-Mack, the more I gain the impression that they are massively superior to RUG. They really take care of their theatres, their staff seem frendlier... Even down to drink prices being much more reasonable. Just a much happier experience all-round.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am

Interesting debate on my comment on men! I KNEW someone was going to comment on saying the same about women. Maybe we are all just going round in circles and should actually talk to one another. I have a feeling this one will just continue to run and run...

I'm in a rant mood again today. I wish the Jermyn St Theatre wouldn't be so downright rude and refuse to call me back. I bet if I wanted to give them more money they'd call me back but because they owe me money they just hope I forget. Not going to happen. I will phone them every day from now on until they get sick of me. Rant over.

ETA: Mandrake if booking over the phone always book when the night team has taken over, they have a better allocation for Phantom. Not entirely sure why.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Interesting! Thanks, I'll try that out next time.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I just found out that Kevin Tarte (OMG) and Janet Chavtal (One of the Vienna Christines in POTO OMG!) were singing POTO and other movie and musical music in my former city two months ago, and_I_didn't_have_a_slightest_clue! Mad
Even the site for the concert had "Janet Chavtal has played in The Phantom of the Opera in Vienna"

ANGRY ANGRY ANGRY!
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Shocked
Co-worker is out on vacation for the next week...and I'm now covering her desk...She takes care of the obituaries...Very sensitive area...and now I'm doing them, including my own job (customer/technical support, and copy acceptance for advertising. Oh, did I mention I work at a newspaper?)...

*ulp*

Oh, and come Tuesday, the lady who is our public notice person is out, too...guess who may end up doing all three positions, *raises hand.* Supervisor said he would cover it, but he has a ton on his plate, so he may not get to them

Yeah. I'm stoked....There's so much other shit happening here that I can't even put in to words how frustrated I am some times (not with my personal job, or my co-workers, but with our circulation/telephone sales representatives who seem to expect me to be the default person to take ads for them, too.)

I'm gonna need alcohol. Lots of alcohol at the end of the week next week...
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:24 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:Shocked
Co-worker is out on vacation for the next week...and I'm now covering her desk...She takes care of the obituaries...Very sensitive area...and now I'm doing them, including my own job (customer/technical support, and copy acceptance for advertising. Oh, did I mention I work at a newspaper?)...

*ulp*

Oh, and come Tuesday, the lady who is our public notice person is out, too...guess who may end up doing all three positions, *raises hand.* Supervisor said he would cover it, but he has a ton on his plate, so he may not get to them

Yeah. I'm stoked....There's so much other shit happening here that I can't even put in to words how frustrated I am some times (not with my personal job, or my co-workers, but with our circulation/telephone sales representatives who seem to expect me to be the default person to take ads for them, too.)

I'm gonna need alcohol. Lots of alcohol at the end of the week next week...

let us know how it goes, I have allways wanted to work at a newspaper, you sound like you have a lot on your plate, tell us how it went. good luck.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:30 am

This isn't so much a rant as it is me whining about not being able to fall asleep when I actually need to. I have to go up to the community college in the morning and take a math placement exam. Actually, even fully rested, I shudder to think where I'll end up after opting not to take a math class senior year.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:59 pm

phantomphan1992 wrote:This isn't so much a rant as it is me whining about not being able to fall asleep when I actually need to. I have to go up to the community college in the morning and take a math placement exam. Actually, even fully rested, I shudder to think where I'll end up after opting not to take a math class senior year.

I didn't take a math class my junior or senior years of H.S. (long story, my H.S. does not do well at scheduling classes...), and when time came to take the placement test when I got to University, I still did very well - so I'm sure you'll do just fine!

But after four years of university when it was time to take the GRE... a little bit of the trigonometry was long gone from my memory. Razz

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 am

Yup. It placed me in trigonometry. But I think I'm going to take college algebra first, since I think it might be too much to jump into a trig class after a whole year of no math.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:52 pm

ladygodiva wrote:let us know how it goes, I have allways wanted to work at a newspaper, you sound like you have a lot on your plate, tell us how it went. good luck.

Oh, I don't think you'd like being at a newspaper, nowadays. It's totally different than in years past. All newspapers are having trouble not only financially, but probably in morale as well, at least in the US. Not sure how they're doing overseas. (well, except for anything Rupert Murdoch touches. NotW comes to mind).

I'm not really sure how our newsroom works (I'm in the advertising department). It's usually pretty dead during the day, most of the reporters (well what's left of them now) don't start to come in till late in the day to write/finish up their stories. I'm usually gone by then.

Many moons ago the feeling in the entire building was always an uplifting feeling. Happy. One of the great places to work in my city. Not so any more. We're still one of the more profitable newspapers around the country, mainly due to a publisher we had when I first started working here. He was well-loved by all. Really cared about people and their families. Wanted to make sure they were safe. He put in to place many policies right after Sept. 11th and the Enron scandal that would ensure we'd be able to weather any storm we were to go through in the future. He didn't want to see any person get laid off. And, for the most part, until recently, his policies worked. We've been able to not have lay offs. All that's slowly changing. In the next few years we're going to be looking at massive lay offs as our parent company is working to consolidate as much of their newspaper businesses as possible (They own quite a few papers around the country. A few years ago they tried to sell us. I kind of wish they had, now). I heard a lady from our accounting department bitterly say she's been told her job will end in 2012 after being here for more than 20 years. My job, for the most part is safe *crosses fingers*. I have to be a back-up to both our legal department and obits (and also have my own department to worry about). There's no way to outsource these areas. We have to be available to help people at the counter, so they need faces to be up there.

I am now back to doing my own duties What a Face (yay!) Amusing that now my friend/co-worker/obit lady is back, her first day (yesterday) and so far today, it's been slower than molasses. And even more amusing is how everyone around us has come over to comment on the change of pace.

Anyone watch the first episode of the new Torchwood series/season this past week? How people have stopped dying? That's kind of how it's been feeling between yesterday and today (so far)

There's a lot that went down last week that I can't talk about on the internets, though. I've written it all down and will be continuing to keep this journal regarding one of the persons I was supposed to have been able to rely on last week...but because their superior was out last week this person thought they could, leave early.. and made my job a lot tougher than it needed to be.. Suspect
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  ladygodiva Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:41 pm

it is so sad that most newspapers are going the way of the dodo, I know most people now a days get their info online, I still enjoy the copy that you can hold in your hand, it sounds so sad that a lot of good people are losing their jobs.

ladygodiva

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:39 pm

I should update a bit above. My supervisor quit and is working in another area of the company. It's a bit better, now, as other people are being trained on obits so I won't be pulling double/triple duty. And I'm no longer in advertising as I said above. In their wisdom they've taken my department and we are now integrated in to the circulation department...Better bosses, definitely.

ladygodiva wrote:it is so sad that most newspapers are going the way of the dodo, I know most people now a days get their info online, I still enjoy the copy that you can hold in your hand, it sounds so sad that a lot of good people are losing their jobs.

Last week we got a shock that 53 people here were being laid off. I knew a good portion of them. Most of them were in the advertising department. I'm soooo glad they handed us off to circulation since that department had layoffs a few years back and have been struggling trying to keep up with work now. So, my area is safe.

But, they also let go the entire housekeeping staff and 3/4 of maintenance. This is supposed to be 'outsourced.' Well, it seems they haven't found a company yet since the trash has not been picked up, bathrooms haven't been cleaned, and no sweeping, dusting or vacuuming has been done in a week. And there's no one to pick up the mounds of papers we have laying around for recycling. Literally. Mounds. (Maintenance did that every day. It's now been 6 days and nada.)

Smooth move there management. Yeah. Let's get rid of these areas before a maintenance/housekeeping company is hired. Rolling Eyes
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Well, I just found out my job ends in one year, exactly. The entire freakin' newspaper call center/obits/customer and tech support/legals department will be outsourced to both Atlanta and Dayton. Rolling Eyes Yeah. Everything I've worked to learn this past year is no longer useful.

Only up side is I get a nice severance package if I stick it out. And possibly a transfer to another Cox property. Either cable or newspaper.

Husband just found out this past Wednesday his job will end in December.

So this pretty much solidifies things (unless something spectacular happens). We are moving back to the mid-west come October of next year. After 16 years of being in Austin, TX, we are going home.

Nothing has sunk in yet. I think by this weekend I'll be a mess, though...I'm tempted to go join the OccupyAustin movement that's happening in front of city hall, and has been there for about a month...

Yeah. 2011 has been a hugely shitty year.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:44 am

Why does tendinitis suck so much? The initial injury at the beginning of May was bad enough, especially considering that it was right before AP exams and it was in my left hand (my dominant hand). But then, just as it's almost completely better, I re-injure it baking a bunch of stuff for Christmas. I keep thinking I should go back to the doctor, but I'm not sure they can do anything that they didn't do back in May. This is really, really not fun. Sad

Of course, typing this isn't helping at all... Rolling Eyes
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. Do you have brace you can wear?

My rant:
our e-edition of the paper was missing the Sunday comics section because our hosting company didn't process the file correctly....But I'm amazed at how pissed off this has made anyone who subscribes to it. Shocked It's happened two weeks in a row, now.

It's.The.Freakin'.Comics! I'd understand the hostility if the main section was not uploaded, or the sports section, but THE COMICS!? C'mon people, get real
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am

Seven fraking hells - people should just elope rather than having a traditional wedding. My fiance and I were all excited about the easy wedding we were going to have - stress and drama free. We both have repeatedly said things like "It'll be great - neither of us has family who likes to stir up drama or trouble. No worrying about "don't sit me next to so-and-so," or "why can't my kids come?," etc. Spoke too soon!
Short background story... I was adopted, and my adoptive mother's first husband was someone who made my childhood life pretty miserable. Consequently, we haven't spoken in years.
Today my brother calls me and gives a speech about how I should invite my mother's first husband. I (honestly) say that I will consider it more. Then he pulls the "If you don't invite him, I probably won't come."
W.T.F. My own brother is threatening to not come to his only sister's wedding because she won't invite a man whom she does NOT consider her father and who made her life miserable for 15 years.
So yeah, he's an arse.

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:44 am

So sorry to hear about your troubles Becky. I've seen similar situations happen with my friends and it's so horrible to see it happen. Overall it's the bride and groom's day. The beginning of their new life together. I wish people would choose to zip it and honour the wishes of the couple getting married.
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:20 am

Becky your troubles seriously break my heart. I wish and pray all the best for you and your future husband. You want nothing but the full love and support of your family, and unfortunately someone is having a hard time differentiating between "family" as an action as opposed to "family" in title.

I hope your brother will come around and respect your decision. If not I pray you find yourself strong enough to keep to that decision. In the end this is your wedding, a day for love and happiness and no one has the right to judge, reprimand or belittle this special day.

And when that doesn't work, remember that complete strangers on the internet love you Razz
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Ugh. Spent about 3 hours in the ER last night, my second visit in a month, with severe abdominal pain. This is on top of two visits to my regular physician for the same problem, and now it looks like I'll be seeing a specialist as well. I do think the doctor finally narrowed the problem down to my gallbladder last night, which means I have to pretty much cut fat completely out of my diet (not an easy feat when you live in Texas, where we fry pretty much anything edible). But really, more than anything, I just want sleep.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  TheFinnishPhantom Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:43 pm

It seems that Glee will be making a Phantom episode.

Soapbox! Share your rants! - Page 2 Tumblr10

NO.
TheFinnishPhantom
TheFinnishPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:17 am

TheFinnishPhantom wrote:It seems that Glee will be making a Phantom episode.

Soapbox! Share your rants! - Page 2 Tumblr10

NO.

Soapbox! Share your rants! - Page 2 Fuuuuu_The_Worlds_Hardest_Game_3-s343x268-95358-580

But I'm also secretly excited.
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  RoseOfTransylvania Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:49 pm

All the toilet-bowls who think being old is some dehumanizating crime.
RoseOfTransylvania
RoseOfTransylvania

Back to top Go down

Post  tromp-la-mort Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Is the source of these news knows?
I asked all the Glee fans I know who are supposedly following all the news as avidly as we follow news on POTO and none of them has heard anything about it.
Edit: No sooner did I post it that Google fetched me the pictures. Sad
Edit2: ...and an explanation how this is a passing picture from s01ep17. I am totally confused now. Suspect
tromp-la-mort
tromp-la-mort

http://nadaalopov.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Yeah, the picture is probably from an old episode.

I do still watch Glee, though not with the enthusiasm I once had for the show. But a Phantom episode might just be the thing to make me finally stop watching.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  tromp-la-mort Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:17 am

phantomphan1992 wrote:Yeah, the picture is probably from an old episode.
Apparently it is: here, for example, there's this screencap and the description of the set. I also checked the episode itself and it is there indeed.
So, looks like so far we have nothing to worry about.
tromp-la-mort
tromp-la-mort

http://nadaalopov.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:22 am

Checking emails in the morning is such a bad idea. It can ruin ones whole day. AAAAARRRGGGH.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Not at all a rant, just... extremely random info. What I learned today: Disney's Pluto is a mixed-breed dog, part Bloodhound, part English Pointer.

operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum