Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

+61
phantom5251
Riene
RichardN86
Irina de France
ChristineDaae1982
Phantomess
Scorp
todaaefor
mesadallas
demonsmoke
Countess of Rothes
MarySkater
SenorSwanky
LadyCDaae
jennyfair
FdelOpera
Bric
Modern Myth
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
lonely nightingale
MasqPhan
Brandon1351
Phantour
Paula74
stephantom53
phantom10906
ladygodiva
CrimsonAvenger
Mme Reyer
EarlFan
London-Phan
sk8phan
justin-from-barbados
NightRachel
Raphael
operafantomet
Callie Daae
Masqueradelove
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
AngelOfMusic325
Becky
AlwaysChristine
purplehaze93
Viscountess
InkedAlchemist
robhawkins
Cape Twirl of Doom
ravnquest1
phan101
alaron
ML6
Reverie
thegenuinebeauty
MajesticPhantom
mona lisa
Stephanie
auctioneer
Madame Giry
Phantom on a Budget
alaron4
StrangerThanUDreamt
65 posters

Page 18 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 18 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 pm

Via the official Phantom facebook

Get ready for some more BROADWAY CASTING NEWS!

The week of August 26 will see many changes, including some NEW announcements as well as those previously-announced...it's a mouthful, so here we go!

• As previously announced, Broadway’s 25th Anniversary Phantom, the fabulous HUGH PANARO, returns to the title role on Monday, August 26, after having earned rave reviews as Jean Valjean in The St. Louis MUNY production of Les Misérables! As many of you know, Hugh's long association with PHANTOM stretches back to 1989, when he first played the role of Raoul for almost 1,000 performances. He was later invited to take over the starring role, which he’s since done in three separate engagements for over 2,000 performances and counting. His combined PHANTOM performance count in both roles is approaching 3,000 times.

• Hugh succeeds International Platinum-selling recording artist and 2-time Swedish Tony Award-winning European stage star PETER JöBACK. Peter stepped into the New York production for a limited 4-month summer engagement following his starring as The Phantom in the London production in 2012. Peter will play his final Broadway performances on Saturday, August 24.

• MARY MICHAEL PATTERSON, who last month made her PHANTOM debut as Broadway’s newest Christine (as the Christine Alternate), will take over as the Principal Christine. She is the eighteenth actress to do so in the New York production (not including Alternates and understudies).

• Our current Christine, international PHANTOM star MARNI RAAB, will resume performances as the Christine Alternate. Marni will play Wednesday matinees and Thursday evenings. Marni also has a long, unique history with the show, including numerous engagements with the New York production and the U.S. Tour as well as originating the role of Christine for the Asian World Tour. On Broadway, she’s played the role of Christine nearly 800 times, making her the fifth longest-running Christine in the production’s history.

• JEREMY HAYS [pictured above] will be making his PHANTOM debut in the role of Raoul, the third romantic lead in the musical. He made his Broadway debut in the first revival of Les Misérables and went on to originate the role of Enjolras for the 25th Anniversary production at Paper Mill Playhouse and the subsequent National Tour. He also toured the U.S. as Rum Tum Tugger in Cats. Regionally, he has starred in productions of Hair, Camelot, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Oklahoma! and West Side Story.

• Jeremy succeeds our beloved KYLE BARISICH, who’s played the role of Raoul on Broadway for over 2 years. Kyle has a long history with the show, first joining the National Tour in October 2006 as a member of the Ensemble and covering Raoul. After several engagements in the touring Ensemble, he assumed the role of Raoul in November 2008, playing it in San Francisco and Los Angeles. In March 2008, he played his first of several engagements with the New York Company in the Ensemble and covering Raoul. He assumed the principal role in June 2011, which he’s done to date, including as part of the celebrated 25th Anniversary Cast. He will be greatly missed! Stay tuned for a special FB Photo Album compiling ALL Kyle's photos later this week!

• As previously announced, former PHANTOM-Toronto star LAIRD MACKINTOSH will join the Broadway production as theater manager Monsieur André. The Canadian-born performer made his musical theater debut in the original Canadian production of PHANTOM in 1993 playing the role of Raoul for three years. He also covered the title role, giving numerous performances in the part. In total, he gave over 2000 performances of the show at Toronto’s Pantages Theatre.

• Laird succeeds the fantastic JIM WEITZER, who assumed the role of André as part of the production’s 25th Anniversary Cast. His final performance will be Saturday, July 27. He will return to the role of Monsieur Reyer beginning Monday, September 9.
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour - Page 18 Empty Re: The Broadway production + Original US Replica tour

Post  LadyCDaae Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Hmm, I like Hays' voice. Curious to see what he will do with the part.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  NightRachel Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for posting all this Broadway Phantom news here, Stranger! Lots of casting news lately for Phantom productions (London and NY)...guess it's that time of year. Smile 
NightRachel
NightRachel

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 pm

looking at the US tour scedule, brings up some things for me...

so much I guess for the arguement of cutting costs so they could go into smaller venues, alot of the venues listed took the original tour quite well, just think of the HUGE ENORMOUS Bostom Opera House, that will swallow this production.

I just think alot of people will be dissapointed going thinking they seeing what they acustom to seeing, Ive heard that the Chicago run has extended too.

maybe they will drop the chandelier in this version
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:32 pm

^ My thoughts exactly. The Ohio theatre in Columbus is actually where I first saw the show back in 2003/2004, it is a very ornate and gorgeous theater, with a lot of rich reds and golds that completed the original production so well... but I fear the theater itself may outshine this new production if some things are not tweaked (i.e. chandelier) It will be interesting to see what the actual audience response is here in the US, seeing as the original production toured for so long here, US theater goers have a pretty solid idea of what 'Phantom' is and how it should look, and you are correct in that nearly every venue this new tour is hitting housed the original tour just fine.

Are you sweating bullets yet RUG?
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:47 am

justin-from-barbados wrote:maybe they will drop the chandelier in this version
How about we just drop the chandelier *on* this version?

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:28 am

I don't know if things have been tweaked for the upcoming US leg of the restaged version. But several commented on the production not looking good in bigger theatres when it toured the UK. They use a drum set, with the action and the decorations concentrated towards the middle. In smaller theatres it looked a bit cramped, but cool. In larger theatres, however, it looked cramped in the middle and with nothing going on at the sides. Not very balanced. If they head for even bigger venues in the US, I hope they account for this and adjust things.

As someone else wrote, what it really comes down to here is who they cast. In the UK the cast made all the difference, and I think the same will be valid for the US. If they don't get powerpack leads, however, I don't think reviewers or audience will be very forgiving on this version.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 pm

operafantomet wrote:
As someone else wrote, what it really comes down to here is who they cast. In the UK the cast made all the difference, and I think the same will be valid for the US. If they don't get powerpack leads, however, I don't think reviewers or audience will be very forgiving on this version.
I agree. As brilliant as the direction and design of the original production are, I think what really makes or breaks the show is how well the cast delivers on their characters. If they can make me feel for them, I'll be a lot more willing to forgive the (ahem) questionable staging choices.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Unofficially...but judging from a few thing I've seen on Facebook and elsewhere, Adam Bashian is joining US tour. Nothing is confirmed, but the resume on his site lists "ensemble/swing."

adambashian.com

Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:34 pm

So, take it with a grain of salt obviously, but this was posted on the Broadway World thread for the new tour...

I have it on good authority that the chandelier will be more impressive that the current UK production (including falling). Mackintosh admits that the shaking chandelier is rather underwhelming.
Now if they would only promise not to massacre the costume design...

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Raphael wrote:
justin-from-barbados wrote:maybe they will drop the chandelier in this version
How about we just drop the chandelier *on* this version?

R.
Laughing 
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:17 pm

Nice long interview with Mary Michael Patterson:

Playbill.com
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Nice article! It was interesting that she describes the role of Christine as feeling rather isolated from other members of the company. I wonder if she incorporates that feeling into her performance.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Paula74 wrote:Nice long interview with Mary Michael Patterson:

Playbill.com
Interesting stuff! I know Trista Moldovan was in Sense and Sensibility; I wonder if she was the one who tipped Patterson off on the job...

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 pm

The new tour cast has been announced (finally).

This is copied and pasted from the official press release:

Mark Campbell portrays the man behind the mask, ‘The Phantom,’ with Julia Udine as ‘Christine Daaé,’ Ben Jacoby as ‘Raoul,’ Jacquelynne Fontaine as ‘Carlotta Giudicelli,’ Craig Bennett as ‘Monsieur Firmin,’ Edward Staudenmayer as ‘Monsieur André,’ Linda Balgord as ‘Madame Giry,’ Frank Viveros as ‘Ubaldo Piangi’ and Hannah Florence as ‘Meg Giry’.

Mark Campbell has been seen across the country in the National Tours of Mamma Mia! and Guys & Dolls. His regional credits include The Old Globe, Cape May Stage, Virginia Stage Company and Arkansas Rep. Julia Udine makes her touring debut with PHANTOM. Regionally, she starred as Maria in West Side Story and appeared on “Law and Order SVU.” Chicago native, Ben Jacoby has performed at the Marriott Theatre, Milwaukee Rep, Maine State Music Theatre and the Utah Shakespeare Festival. Jacquelynne Fontaine’s stage and opera credits include The Student Prince (Kathie, Pittsburgh CLO), A Little Night Music (Charlotte, Indiana Rep), La Traviata (Violetta) and was Miss California 2006. Craig Bennett’s Broadway credits include A Tale of Two Cities, South Pacific and Miss Saigon. Edward Staudenmayer’s Broadway credits include Wonderland, Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me and Beauty and the Beast (1st National Tour). Linda Balgord received a Drama Desk Award nomination for The Pirate Queen and has also been seen on Broadway in Gypsy, La Cage Aux Folles, Cats and Passion. Frank Viveros originated the roles of Bloat The Blowfish in Disney’s Finding Nemo: The Musical and Iron Chef in Yellow Brick Road. Hannah Florence appeared in Scandalous (Broadway) as well as Where’s Charley (Encores!), Anna Nicole (NYC Opera/BAM) and Mary Poppins (1st National Tour).

The Ensemble includes Adam Bashian, Nick Cartell, Dan Debenport, Amy Decker, Mark Emerson, Cooper Grodin, Michael Thomas Holmes, Celia Hottenstein, Christopher Howard, Merritt David Janes, Amy Justman, Edward Juvier, Dustin Layton, Luke Lazzaro, Jay Lusteck, Katie McCreary, Grace Morgan, Christy Morton, Quinto Ott, Eric Ruiz and Marguerite Willbanks. The Corps de Ballet includes Morgan Cowling, Anjelica Bette Fellini, Ramona Kelley, Abigail Mentzer, Lily Rose Peck, Tara Sweeney and Micki Weiner.
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm

I pretty much haven't heard of any of them except Balgord. Surprises me they didn't go for established Phantom performers like they did in the UK. No Hugh or Joback.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Lily Rose Peck and Luke Lazarro are former Phantom cast folks. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm

When and which casts? I meant name people, major featured cast members.

And I'm not saying I'm disappointed in the casting. If I had to choose, I'd probably rather see fresher faces. But I also can't say I'm disappointed because I don't plan to see the tour anyway.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Luke Lazarro was the Slave Master in the Vegas production.

Lily Rose Peck was ballet chorus on the last US tour.

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I think it's good that they're getting fresh performers in, all things considered--but I'm not going to be able to see this for at least a year (if at all) so who knows what it'll look like by then?

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Tour cast bios: Clicky

Looks like a mix of Broadway, touring, and regional experience in the group. More importantly, it looks like they're hiring Equity.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:31 am

LadyCDaae wrote:Tour cast bios: Clicky

Looks like a mix of Broadway, touring, and regional experience in the group.  More importantly, it looks like they're hiring Equity.

~LCD
Equity people is definitely good news. I have no immediately gut feeling about this cast. I know nothing of them (except the Raoul being a son of Mark Jacoby). I find it amusing how they all thank Tara Rubin casting in their bios in that link, though. Laughing 
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Oh, didn't realize he's Mark Jacoby's son. That's awesome.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:22 pm

was wondering if he was, thanks for confirming
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:57 pm

operafantomet wrote:
LadyCDaae wrote:Tour cast bios: Clicky

Looks like a mix of Broadway, touring, and regional experience in the group.  More importantly, it looks like they're hiring Equity.

~LCD
Equity people is definitely good news. I have no immediately gut feeling about this cast. I know nothing of them (except the Raoul being a son of Mark Jacoby).
....Aaaaaaand now I feel old.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:55 pm

phantomfett wrote:Luke Lazarro was the Slave Master in the Vegas production.

Lily Rose Peck was ballet chorus on the last US tour.

Dustin Layton is also Las Vegas alumni.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantour Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Someone I went to college with is in the ensemble. He just posted a photo of him and some other cast members with gold masks from Masquerade. I am trying so hard not to judge until I see full costumes in a scene shots, but it's so hard not to compare to the original!
Phantour
Phantour

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Phantour wrote:Someone I went to college with is in the ensemble. He just posted a photo of him and some other cast members with gold masks from Masquerade. I am trying so hard not to judge until I see full costumes in a scene shots, but it's so hard not to compare to the original!
....Balls. I was hoping they'd have the sense to fix that.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Starting in April, the Broadway production will switch to a Thursday matinee.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.php?thread=1066342&dt=1
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:02 pm

BroadwayWorld has been running interviews of the tour cast and crew for the past week or so. Most of them are typical PR stuff (kind of like the astronauts' wives in Apollo 13: "Remember, you're happy, proud, and thrilled!") but this one is worth a look for Ben Jacoby's thoughts on his character and a couple memories of his father at the Majestic. (The Laurence Conner one is here, but I found it...less then encouraging.)

~LCD

LadyCDaae

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22 ... 27  Next