Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

+53
mona lisa
Masqueradelove
ianjonbourgandethanfreema
purplehaze93
Copycat
tiawhitecat
Becky
Paula74
HerMajesty
harryzing
ette
tromp-la-mort
Callie Daae
ravnquest1
Bric
EarlFan
Viscountess
meglett
justin1976
TheFinnishPhantom
charleygirl
ifonlyidont
StrangerThanUDreamt
AlwaysChristine
London-Phan
Madame Giry
Raphael
TheMaskedLion
Helen
MasqPhan
Phantom on a Budget
PhantomsGhost
Bunvendor
starryeyed
Aled_Boyo
PridePhan
ladygodiva
Miss von Krolock
BradPhan
MajesticPhantom
MaskedLion
IamErik771
Phantomlove
Devon
SenorSwanky
PMB1034
LadyCDaae
ML6
Scorp
operafantomet
Lycanthrope
justin-from-barbados
phantom10906
57 posters

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 11 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  London-Phan Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:47 pm

Looks like Christine has a moustache lol! Very Happy
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

25th Anniversary Restaged Tour - Page 11 Empty Re: 25th Anniversary Restaged Tour

Post  starryeyed Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Now you point it out you can see that a bit on Raoul too. I think it must be a shadow coming off their masks (as both masks look surprisingly similar to one another.)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Not digging it, but maybe it'll look better from the audience rather than the orchestra pit or whatever close, low vantage point that was shot from. I think what's more disappointing to me, since I don't care much about costumes, is the lighting. Masquerade had a chaotic, ominous lighting scheme by Andrew Bridge in the original. This is very brightly lit.

A lot has been made of Raoul wearing a mask, but isn't Christine wearing one as well?
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 pm

I seem to recall some of the preview reviews mentioning that the Phantom is sneaking around in the Masquerade, wearing a red frock coat, before his big entrance (or something). So, is that JOJ in red on the right hand side of the screencap?

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:56 pm

I thought the same thing, but I hope not.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Maybe it's one of the managers? There seem to be two men near the front with colored cloaks on, so that could be them...in any event, I also hope it isn't JOJ. Stalking Christine during the dance break is one thing, but the Phantom really shouldn't be joining in on the chorus (the whole point is that he disrupts the celebration, not partakes in it).

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:11 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Not digging it, but maybe it'll look better from the audience rather than the orchestra pit or whatever close, low vantage point that was shot from. I think what's more disappointing to me, since I don't care much about costumes, is the lighting. Masquerade had a chaotic, ominous lighting scheme by Andrew Bridge in the original. This is very brightly lit.

A lot has been made of Raoul wearing a mask, but isn't Christine wearing one as well?
According to a review, everyone is now wearing masks, all through the scene. That picture left me cold, but we all know that live theatre comes off different than one frozen moment. I'm sure it appears more spectacular to live audience.

The costumes are incredibly underwhelming, though. Seriously, Maria Bjørnson Archive, where are you? This is butchering of a design concept which I though was somewhat protected by law. I stand by what I initially said, they should have designed brand new costumes.

As for the Phantom mingling with the Masquerade guests, I recall something similar from Leroux. Wasn't he sneaking around a bit before appearing in the staircase? But I cannot for my bare life envision the Phantom dancing along with the other guests...

Last edited by operafantomet on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:13 pm

You know I picked up on the red cloak too. I also thought his mask looked rather Phantom like but then thought it too obvious. Also I don't believe he takes part in the chorus though it has been stated that he briefly dances with Christine once she is separated from Raoul and disappears sometime after that then re-appears for "Why So Silent."

ETA: I also thought the person looked too small to be JOJ but due to the angle of the picture the perspective is way off so who knows.

Also, I thought the managers were the two men on the left hand side. Can't be sure about the one in the front (with the blue) but the one behind him definitely looks like one of them from the headshots I've seen.

Sorry, I keep adding things but I don't think Christine's black tights go with the costume at all.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:22 pm

Well, as far as the figure in red goes, the rounded-V cut of the shirt/waistcoat outline and white tie are very consistent with the Phantom's particular suit style. No one else in the show wears that style. As you said though, difficult to say if it's JOJ from the angle, but possibly consistent with what we know from reviews.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

I've just had a thought, if Red Death is to come back as a reviewer mentions then I wonder if they'll change the fact that the Phantom is amongst the guests before "Why So Silent?"

The Red Death costume would make it impossible for him to blend in and I think even someone who hadn't previously seen Phantom would cotton onto the fact that there is one guest wearing a far grander costume than everyone else. I also don't believe there would be enough time for him to change from his "inconspicuous" disguise to Red Death for "Why So Silent?" which would rule out him changing, though I guess they could have a double in the Red Death costume.

It also wipes out their "he's been here all along" thing that they are going for at the moment because who is to even say people would make the connection between the red cloaked guest and Red Death? So many thoughts...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Hopefully it's a decoy. I remember in the Raines film, a bunch of people had the Phantom's mask because it was an opera costume. Maybe they're going for a similar idea here--his tux and mask could be costumes from the opera company or some common costume shop that a masquerade patron also could've bought.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Viscountess Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm

The Red Death mingling in the crowd wouldn't be too conspicuous if they didn't dial down every single costume in the masquerade. The guy in the red coat totally looks like he could be the Phantom though, especially because of that line down the middle of his face-- definitely looks like the half mask rather than a full-mask obscured by shadow.

I didn't even notice Christine's black tights, I thought it was just the shadow/angle making them look so dark. I seriously cannot understand the point.
Viscountess
Viscountess

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm

We have a new review (from Press Night) with one new picture (that demonstrates the "all in his face" wig I was talking about.)

Review from Theatre Blogger

ETA: Yes it took me a long time to definitely decide that she was in fact wearing black tights. Can't see the reasoning behind it at all, once you notice them your eyes are drawn to how contrasting they are to the colours of her costume.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 pm

..... not a fan of that wig.

And can someone PLEASE give the Phantom a hat. He looks terribly un-mysterious without it. I can understand him not wearing one in the Lair; but when he's out and about it's, in my mind, necessary to help him blend in with the shadows and conceal his masked face. Ugh.

Gotta run, but will reread that review later.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

That looks awful. The wig, the lack of a fedora, the lack of any hint of deformity around his mouth, the smaller mask, the statue, the lighting that looks like he's under a searchlight on the Vegas strip....
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Not digging it.

Like the statue, but I dislike the wig and the mask.

Can't tell around his lips if there's any deformity there, I hope so, but if so, it blends in too much, and would be hard to see from the back of a theater.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  London-Phan Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

It's a bit hard to tell from the picture but the mask looks a lot like the London LND mask with a lot of shading, and the wig doesn't look right to me at all.
London-Phan
London-Phan

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 pm

I try to remember me how JOJ looks like. He looks like some Film Phantom.
It seemed they changed a lot.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomsGhost Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm

It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian Phantom costume and make up, actually.
PhantomsGhost
PhantomsGhost

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:54 pm

starryeyed wrote:We have a new review (from Press Night) with one new picture (that demonstrates the "all in his face" wig I was talking about.)

Review from Theatre Blogger
Like others, I like the statue... but the Phantom looks like something out of a community theatre production. It's probably a part of JOJ's "make him real" plan to make him rougher in appearance, not as neat as Bjørnson's Valentino Phantom. But the hairdo looks like something out of a camp music video. Kinda surprised they've managed to make the tour more 1980's looking than the original 1980's design (judging by three photos, but still).
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Is it bad that the new Phantom wig/appearance reminded me of Raphael's Las Vegas Elvis/Phantom spoof?

http://phantoonsoftheopera.com/gallery_lite.html (fourth thumbnail from left, top row)

Razz

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:41 pm

If it were his actual hair, I could kind of understand the Phantom looking a little unkempt--this is a guy who certainly doesn't go to the barber regularly and has a notable aversion to mirrors. However, since it is a wig, wouldn't he find one a little neater to fit with the rest of his formal, sophisticated attire?

And yeah, not a of the (lack of) exposed makeup--the hint of something wrong beneath the mask has always been a nice little touch. Props for including the Apollo statue, though!

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm starting to appreciate and dislike the original scheme.

You see, Maria's designs and costumes were so amazing that if anybody tried to re-create the show, it would never match her. Everything is looking far underwhelming.
That's the only reason I dislike the original production now, lol. (But I still love it.)

Anyway. Did anybody in this production do their research when it came to clothing and sets?
I feel like, once again, nobody did.
Then again, we're not in 'fictional Opera Garnier world', this is Andrew's 'Opera Populaire messed up world'.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:25 pm

ML6 wrote:Anyway. Did anybody in this production do their research when it came to clothing and sets?
Then again, we're not in 'fictional Opera Garnier world', this is Andrew's 'Opera Populaire messed up world'.
I think elements of the sets are rather good, from the little I've seen and read. Other parts less so, but it's enough to make me intrigued. But I don't get the butchering of the costumes. I'm thinking that if they didn't really want Maria Bjørnson's costumes, why use them? If what you want is a hamburger, there's little point in buying the ingredients for a pizza... You know? I get the feeling they wanted a couple of the key costumes and her name on the poster, and thought it easiest to just "buy" the whole lot and change what they didn't want.

But I do think the designer herself would be upset. She was a perfectionist and always worked to see her design come to life in the way she envisioned it. And this is far from what she envisioned, judging from her costume sketches.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 pm

PhantomsGhost wrote:It kind of reminds me of the Hungarian Phantom costume and make up, actually.

Hmm yes a little bit, but the hungarian looks better. For me..
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Does look a little like the Hungarian production, and that's what worries me. Generally, any comparison to that production's sets and costumes are going to be negative.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

operafantomet wrote:
ML6 wrote:Anyway. Did anybody in this production do their research when it came to clothing and sets?
I think elements of the sets are rather good, from the little I've seen and read. Other parts less so, but it's enough to make me intrigued. But I don't get the butchering of the costumes. I'm thinking that if they didn't really want Maria Bjørnson's costumes, why use them? If what you want is a hamburger, there's little point in buying the ingredients for a pizza... You know? I get the feeling they wanted a couple of the key costumes and her name on the poster, and thought it easiest to just "buy" the whole lot and change what they didn't want.

But I do think the designer herself would be upset. She was a perfectionist and always worked to see her design come to life in the way she envisioned it. And this is far from what she envisioned, judging from her costume sketches.

I understand what you mean, they mixed the costumes with something strange and don´t think about this.
It was not consequent...but it seemed they change a lot..
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Does look a little like the Hungarian production, and that's what worries me. Generally, any comparison to that production's sets and costumes are going to be negative.

In some ways it reminds me of the Hungarian Production, but it´s still a good show (in Budapest).
I must see the Tour to see what they have done with the original.
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  StrangerThanUDreamt Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Love the statue...but the cut-and-paste approach to Maria's costuming is a serious blunder. If they wanted to use her costumes then they should have remained intact! I feel they have watered her grand designs down in order to match better with the less than stellar sets; Let's be honest, Maria's original designs for the show meshed perfectly, that put against this new designers sets, her costumes alone would upstage him. However, I would have rather them just redesign it all, than give us a shell of what was. I dont mind the slightly longer hair, BUT it should not be in his face! This is a man who is obsessive over anything in his appearance that he can control i.e. clothing, hair...so I feel even if he has longer hair it would be styled back and away from the face, not in some array of messy locks.

Oh and for christ sake give the Phantom a fedora!
StrangerThanUDreamt
StrangerThanUDreamt

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:43 am

Love the statue of Apollo's Lyre, but why is the Phantom wearing Donald Trump's toupee?

Madame Giry wrote:Is it bad that the new Phantom wig/appearance reminded me of Raphael's Las Vegas Elvis/Phantom spoof?

http://phantoonsoftheopera.com/gallery_lite.html (fourth thumbnail from left, top row)

Razz

~Madame~
Why thank you. Thankyouverymuch.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 25 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18 ... 25  Next