Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 pm

JW89 wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:
JW89 wrote:Does anyone know the date of 25th Anniversary in London?

Want a ticket!
Debuted on October 9th, '86, so therefore it's October 9th, 2011.

No tickets available for the 8th (9th is a Sunday) on ANY websites! Sad
I imagine then they either aren't selling them yet because they don't know what they're doing for the anniversary (RUG is great at advance planning and inviting fans to be a part, aren't they?), since it still is 9 months away, or they won't be inviting many fans, and it'll be a mostly closed event like the record-breaking performance on Broadway where you had to win tickets if you weren't part of the previous cast or crew.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:01 am

To the user Hilde, there's a lot of sickness going round the Phantom cast at the moment and in fact four previous cast members have been asked back to cover the sickness. Unfortunately, JOJ has just this evening gone off sick too and I know you were wanting to see him in January so maybe best leaving it until the end of January to avoid this bout of sickness.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm

I'd definitely recommend seeing JOJ, Hilde! Though I'd caveat that by saying that I think how much you'd enjoy his performance would depend on your own personal Phantom preference.

I like a big, booming, full-on Phantom and that's exactly what JOJ is. He really grips the role and fills the theatre with palpable presence. I think he has a beautiful voice, too; it would be easy, I imagine, for someone with a powerful voice to just beat the performance into submission but I think he has moments of real delicacy and subtlety folded in. Definite "wow" factor in places, his Final Lair is quite electrifying. Left me open-mouthed and goggling in places, to be frank. So I think that's the kind of Phantom he is and if you prefer something more delicate he might not be to your taste.

I've found decent Stalls seats hard to come by though, lately. Might just have been the Christmas season, that... Plus our wonderful new Tory government has just hiked-up VAT so that our banking overlords, the princes & princesses of the City, can continue to lead the life to which they're clearly entitled. So prices continue to soar... (Tongue-in-cheek: try LND instead? Tickets very easy to come by there and much cheaper, I understand... pig )

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm

For those who can get to London quickly: Gina Beck will be back to Phantom this week, Wednesday & Thursday evening, as well as both shows on Saturday. JOJ has been off sick, but is expected to be back on Thursday, so maybe the JOJ/Gina combo will be happening again!
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 am

Miss von Krolock wrote:For those who can get to London quickly: Gina Beck will be back to Phantom this week, Wednesday & Thursday evening, as well as both shows on Saturday. JOJ has been off sick, but is expected to be back on Thursday, so maybe the JOJ/Gina combo will be happening again!
I wanna gooooo!!!! I mean, wow! Here's from the Gina Beck FB site:

Gina will be playing Christine again this week! Wednesday 12th Jan evening , Thursday evening and Saturday matinee and evening.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:53 pm

What, I wonder, is going on with the Christine understudy right now? (I've not been since September - is there one besides the alternate?) I'm certainly not complaining about Gina Beck returning, but it seems strange that they have had to call on her twice now.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm

auctioneer wrote:What, I wonder, is going on with the Christine understudy right now? (I've not been since September - is there one besides the alternate?) I'm certainly not complaining about Gina Beck returning, but it seems strange that they have had to call on her twice now.
I've heard that both Sofia Escobar and Tabitha Webb has been out sick lately, though I don't know if it was at the same time. Sofia Escobar also has a scheduled holiday from 9th-17th of January. So I think it's more a case of the principal and/or alternate being off, and they don't wanna put it all on the understudy.

I'm jealous on whoever gets to see JOJ and Gina Beck (if they indeed end up performing together). I remember seeing JOJ and Rachel Barrell, and that was amazing. Also saw him with Celia Graham, and although I'm not always loving her, she had some solid chemistry with JOJ. Their PONR was affraid (in a good way).
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Aled_Boyo Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 pm

This sucks, big time! I could 100% make it to London and afford tickets this weekend... unfortunately, a group of my friends are competing in the first EVER roller-derby match to be held in Wales this very Saturday, which I've promiseed to attend.

Sod's law, or what? I'm dying to see this duo... AND they've got a solid Raoul now, too! Mad

Swap lives, anyone?
Aled_Boyo
Aled_Boyo

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm not one to speculate, I'm just saying it how it is, I can't remember the last time TW actually covered a performance where the principal was off sick or on holiday. I know she has but I can't give you a specific date, when there is long bouts of sickness KT seems to do far more performances and TW will do one or two. I don't know why but it seems to be how it is at the moment. KT has been on this week and has done the performances GB isn't doing, she's getting a good few performances under her belt now.

I saw GB and JOJ last time they were on, I'm not going again as unfortunately my thoughts on JOJ were proved right, he isn't The Phantom for me and I've seen that combo and it was good but not enough to warrant a return visit just to see that pairing again.

Also, just to add when I say a performer isn't right for me I don't want to cause an argument and I certainly don't then say that those who like said performer can't have good taste. I respect all opinions. (Just in case I get attacked! I'm a wuss you see!)

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:59 pm

According to the old Twitter JOJ is still not well enough, Brian McCann on again then?

Also can anyone shed light on the comment with this picture I found on broadwayworld:
http://westend.broadwayworld.com/viewphoto.cfm?id=13728
The poster says: "Rohan Tickell (Phantom understudy that night) in London. He was pretty good".
I wasn't aware Rohan had understudied the Phantom in London (not in his programme blurb) has this occured occasionally or is the gentleman mistaken?

PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Yeah, Rohan was the understudy for a few years when he was Piangi the first time. I think that was during JOJ's first run, maybe when Earl was there too. London fans may remember the time period better.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Ah right many thanks.
Love his voice. If anyone caught him/can remember would love to hear.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm

PMB1034 wrote:According to the old Twitter JOJ is still not well enough, Brian McCann on again then?
Any idea what's up with Scott Davies? He doesn't seem to have performed in a while either...
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:43 pm

On his Facebook group it says Scott's on holiday, in Kenya I believe, not sure when he's back. I'd imagine his brief run as principal afforded him some time off before he goes back to Standby duties.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Scott got back from Kenya yesterday. He's been performing in various concerts around the world these past few months.

Rohan Tickell did indeed understudy when Earl was Phantom, from what I've heard he didn't like going on though so he's never understudied it since.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 pm

I wonder why he wouldn't want to go on as the Phantom. I heard he was pretty good.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:46 pm

I know, it confused me too. But I've heard it from various people. It could be hear'say but I guess everything starts somewhere. Rather odd.

ETA: Brian McCann is currently going through an almighty twitter rant at someone who has given him a bad review. Have to say I'm siding with Brian on this, I've read the review (it can be found on the Theatre Monkey website) and it really is being horrible for horribles sake. I don't mind people giving someone a bad review but to be horrible for the sake of it is entirely unfair.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:44 am

starryeyed wrote:I saw GB and JOJ last time they were on, I'm not going again as unfortunately my thoughts on JOJ were proved right, he isn't The Phantom for me and I've seen that combo and it was good but not enough to warrant a return visit just to see that pairing again.

That's a shame you weren't too keen on JOJ. He was my first Phantom, I hope I get to see him again. I remember thinking he was fantastic. It'll be interesting to see what I think of him now that I've seen other actors in the role. I'd love to see him opposite Gina, but sadly I live to far away.

ETA: Brian McCann is currently going through an almighty twitter rant at someone who has given him a bad review. Have to say I'm siding with Brian on this, I've read the review (it can be found on the Theatre Monkey website) and it really is being horrible for horribles sake. I don't mind people giving someone a bad review but to be horrible for the sake of it is entirely unfair. .

I read the review earlier today. I agree with you. Has anyone on here seen Brian? I saw him as Piangi when he understudied the role a few years back. I can't imagine him as the Phantom!

Last edited by Helen on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:46 am

I know Helen, I genuinely wanted to like him believe me. And I'd love to hear your updated thoughts when you see him Smile

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:57 am

I will do. I'm not sure when I'll see him, in the Spring/Summer probably. I had hoped to see him when I went in November, but he was off (Not that I'm complaining, I saw Scott and he was fab!) I'm in London in a few weeks, but I'm not going to see Phantom (although in the unlikely event of Gina being on as Christine opposite JOJ's Phantom, I'm sure I'll find the time!)

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 am

McCann's on the tube that's made by you. Wink Not my cup of tea. Nor was Rohan, really.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:05 am

No JOJ/ Gina Beck dream-team tonight, I'm afraid... I guess JOJ is still ill. Scott Davies (I think) in his place.

Tremendous energy and application he brings to the role. I don't remember ever seeing a Phantom who put more of himself into the portrayal. Never seen anything quite like it, he literally had nothing left to give by the end.

So nice to see a second "last" show by Gina Beck, too. Such a lovely voice, and so passionate in Final Lair.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 am

God, I wish I had lots of money right now, I so wanna see Gina Beck's stunt performances. And Scott Davies. Baaah.

Tonight's cast was indeed Scott Davies, Gina Beck and Will Barratt. I love you
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:42 pm

I went to the show on Friday, Scott Davies was on and he really gave it all. All the times I've seen him by now he has never disappointed me, he's just wonderful. Katy Treharne played Christine, first time I saw her and I really liked her as Christine. I loved her voice and very much preferred her portrayal to both Sofia Escobar's and Tabitha Webb's.
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mandrake Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:37 pm

JOJ back tonight; probably has been back these several nights.
First time I've ever seen a Phantom earn three ovations during Final Lair and a fourth, standing, afterwards.

Quite remarkable power and presence.

Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post  JW89 Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 pm

JOJ is simply awesome in my opinion - just ticks all the boxes and adds subtle touches that make all the difference.

My one gripe with him is, before cutting the chandelier down prior to the interval, his "Yoooouuuuu" is never held for as long as other phantoms - not sure why as I'm sure he can hold the note for longer?

JW89

Back to top Go down

Post  mona lisa Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:06 pm

wow! After reading this thread I REALLY hope to see JOJ on my next visit! I see that many of you are regular theatregoers. Please, could anyone tell me how are central seats in the front row/upper circle? I am quite short (like 5.2 feet) and I´ve read there is a bar obstruction:(

thanks

mona lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 am

Hi Monalisa - Yes, some of us are old hands at this show and at theatre in general. I've nearly always sat in row B (aka the front row at HM) and have had no trouble, but I'm just over six feet tall. When my better half goes with me, we tend to sit a little further back since she has trouble seeing the back of the stage. My suggestion is that if you are short, sit a few rows back - maybe around F or G - in the middle. That will also allow you to see the action on the proscenium and all that other stuff. Of course, if you want an even better view, you could sit at the front of dress circle. You get a view of it all from there, but you lose some of the proximity. I have always found that the stalls at Her Maj provide a very intimate setting. Hope this helps.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  MasqPhan Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 am

When I used to go to Her Majesty's to see Phantom I would sit in the front row. I'm very short and figured if I sat there no one would block my view. Loved it there. You do have to crane your neck back a bit to see the angel statue with the Phantom in it but it's kind of neat looking up and seeing him gazing down towards you. The only thing I didn't like was that there was very little leg room in the front row. I haven't been there in 10 years though so maybe there have been changes?
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 am

MasqPhan wrote:The only thing I didn't like was that there was very little leg room in the front row. I haven't been there in 10 years though so maybe there have been changes?
I think it's an offical rule in London theatres: don't give the audience any leg room. Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next