Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The London production 2

+52
phan101
Viscountess
zcfthf8
tromp-la-mort
HerMajesty
LadyCDaae
RatSalsa
charleygirl
TheFinnishPhantom
StrangerThanUDreamt
phantom10906
Porteña
exopotamie
tjacks55
PridePhan
Blaidd_Drwg
justin1976
Madame Giry
PhantomsGhost
London-Phan
Bunvendor
ravnquest1
Vicomtesse de Chagny
Lycanthrope
AlwaysChristine
Princess
MajesticPhantom
TheStudent
ifonlyidont
ML6
Phantomlove
Paula74
MasqPhan
mona lisa
Mandrake
JW89
Hilde
Callie Daae
Klavirista
Raphael
Miss von Krolock
PMB1034
EarlFan
Bric
auctioneer
Helen
starryeyed
Scorp
justin-from-barbados
operafantomet
Aled_Boyo
SenorSwanky
56 posters

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next

Go down

The London production 2 - Page 11 Empty Re: The London production 2

Post  Helen Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm sorry to see Rohan go, I've always really liked him as Piangi. Who's replacing him?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Jeremy Secomb. I may have made that up, I'm sure that's his name, he was Piangi before I believe.

ETA: Apparently Sam Hiller is now resident director! I am assuming this is previous cast member Sam Hiller but who knows...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:20 pm

starryeyed wrote:Jeremy Secomb. I may have made that up, I'm sure that's his name, he was Piangi before I believe.

ETA: Apparently Sam Hiller is now resident director! I am assuming this is previous cast member Sam Hiller but who knows...
Rohan Tickell and Jeremy Secomb are my two favourite Piangis! I was sad Tickell was leaving, but Secomb is the best replacement there is. And they're both Australian born. Smile

Awesome about Sam Hiller as well, if it indeed is the ex-manager by the same name.
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:05 pm

I've not heard of Jeremy Secomb before, but I look forward to seeing him. Great news about Sam Hiller too. I loved his Andre (assuming it is the same guy.) Does anyone know who's going to be Mme Giry and Meg next cast?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am

It is definitely the same guy! I wonder if we'll notice any slight changes like we did in the David Shannon Phantom era... though that direction seems to have disappeared with JOJ.

Also, I didn't quite know where to put this but Simon Bailey is going to be in the 25th Anniversary Tour.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:56 am

starryeyed wrote:Also, I didn't quite know where to put this but Simon Bailey is going to be in the 25th Anniversary Tour.
I have a feeling not as Raoul.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:35 am

So my ex boyfriend was apparently out partying with an ex-Piangi yesterday. A guy called Brendan, who played Piangi in 1997. I think in the UK tour, as Peter Cousens was principal Phantom. I'm guessing Brendan MacBride? It was the only ex-Piangi I could find with that name. Anyway, he entertained them by stinging stuff from Hannibal and Don Juan. That's the way to party! Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:08 am

SenorSwanky wrote:
starryeyed wrote:Also, I didn't quite know where to put this but Simon Bailey is going to be in the 25th Anniversary Tour.
I have a feeling not as Raoul.

I have that feeling also... as an aside (this should really be in the 25th Anniversary Concert thread) but it really annoys me seeing people like SB and SJD having "bit" parts in the concert, though of course any part is an honour I'd say!

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:50 pm

I was at Phantom on Saturday. Can anyone tell me who played Piangi? He was fantastic, he had an awesome voice and was really funny. It was an excellent performance. JOJ was amazing, MOTN and Final Lair were incredible. Sofia Escobar was such a sweet Christine. Her voice is lovely and I liked a lot of her acting choices. Will Barratt was as good as he usually is, I'm going to miss his Raoul. I've come to like Cheryl McAvoy a lot as Mme Giry. There's something about her voice that I absolutely love. Barry James and John Jack were Firmin and Andre. They were brilliant, my favourite actors in the roles, I think. I loved Wendy Ferguson as Carlotta, which surprised me. I usually like her, but not that much. She plays the diva so well. I noticed far more humour in her portrayal than I have before. Her voice is amazing too. The ensemble are so good too, they work brilliantly together. A massive thank you to all involved. I'm quite sad that I won't see this cast again.

starryeyed wrote: as an aside (this should really be in the 25th Anniversary Concert thread) but it really annoys me seeing people like SB and SJD having "bit" parts in the concert, though of course any part is an honour I'd say!

Who are they playing?

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:42 am

After years of waiting, I have finally seen the London production. I went to cast change on 3 September. I don't know if I can ever see the Broadway production again, because the work there doesn't match the maintenance I saw in London. The work in London is FLOORING... I have never seen the show so engaged, and the work so specific from EVERYONE. I realized that my expectations have been lowered over the years, and really, what I saw tonight was nothing short of miraculous theatre. And the ovation at the end was a huge standing crowd screaming with 'bravo.' My companion (who had never seen the show before) felt that it was one of the best live performances she herself has ever seen. I honestly cannot do justice with words, and will have to leave it at that.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  ravnquest1 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:55 am

MajesticPhantom wrote: I don't know if I can ever see the Broadway production again, because the work there doesn't match the maintenance I saw in London.

So very true. I'm hoping getting rid of Cryer and especially Andrews will be the beginning of the end of the stale "auto-pilotness" that has pervaded the Broadway production for many years. London is on another level- everything shines, down to the rich and vibrant colors of the costumes and lighting. It's the true Phantom experience. The show as it's intended to be presented with the proper stage size for the set pieces. Everything just makes more sense when you see it there- everything works.

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:21 am

I say this as a major fan of the West End production:

I totally disagree with what is written here about the Broadway production. I saw two performances in August, and what I saw was vibrant, professional and plain impressive. Mind you, I've seen many productions of Phantom, and I went into The Majestic with great expectations. And they were more than fulfilled.

What I do prefer about West End is that the production is indeed more dynamic. I think this is due to regular cast changes. But I also think there's more going on in the minor roles, and maybe more freedom in how stuff is done on stage (though I hear conflicting things about this). A West End performance of Phantom is never dull. But if CAN result in lackluster leads because of too experimental casting. People who can't vocally handle the role, or just plain miscasting. No, I won't mention names.

As for Broadway, I think there's a different professionality throughout. It might make the production less dynamic, but at least you're always getting a fully competent cast. I won't claim they haven't been stale one or several times in the past, but what I saw in August was so far from stale and "auto-pilot" as one can come. I gorged in details, and I gorged in leads giving it all. And unlike West End, the dancers were spot on, always, in every move, in every scene. Read my previous West End reviews, and you'll see that I basically always complain about the London dancers being "a lamentable mess" on stage. Just another thing you won't see happening on Broadway.

I love both productions dearly. West End more, since I've seen in way more times, and since there are details I like better there. That the proscenium and sets "fits", as ravnquest pointed out. That they still have the graveyard trio. That the Phantom catch the fainting Christine. That Her Majesty's is a prettier theatre (shallow, I know). But the current West End production compared to the current Broadway one is both awesome deals, in my book.

That said, I am happy that you loved the West End production, MajesticPhantom!

(though I dare say it's not fair to compare a cast change night to an everyday performance. Think of how many friends, family members and fans is in the audience for the final night, think of the energy they bring to the stage. That will of course be an extraordinary experience, be it West End or Broadway or Japan for that matter).
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:03 am

Helen wrote:I was at Phantom on Saturday. Can anyone tell me who played Piangi? He was fantastic, he had an awesome voice and was really funny.
If it wasn't (then) principal Rohan Tickell... May it have been Marc Vastenavondt? He's been on a couple of times lately.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 am

I understand, and please don't think that my opinion is black and white... there are always shades, exceptions to the rule, and so on. But honestly, beyond it being a cast change, the creativity and evolution I saw in the London production last night is beyond what has been allowed in NY. My preference for London is in the way it is directed. The production is much more specific, and really drives the story telling, as opposed to keeping it oiled. In NY, I've been blessed to see great actors who go beyond this, no doubt (ie Jennifer Hope Wills, Hugh Panaro, Sean MacLaughlin), but it is clear that the West End production (from reports I've read, as well) continuously strives to keep the story telling alive. I've seen the show 10 times in America, and there is no doubt that there is a lot less experimentation, and my interests in the theatre are about moving forward and shifting things. I think dynamics are very important... I want artists on stage to all have an opinion, to all help in the driving of the story...even if they're just playing the smallest ensemble track.
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  auctioneer Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:44 pm

I think the comments above about west end vs broadway dance around an important difference - the London experience is simply much more intimate. There are 1600 people in the Majestic but, I believe, about 1000 at Her Majesty's. Everyone is closer to the stage. The proscenium is more "in your face." The orchestra's music carries more efficiently. To me, these factors have a significant impact upon the performance. In my view, both casts have their strengths and weaknesses.

auctioneer

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:48 pm

That is probably a valid point. I do, however, want to point out that I sat far away during one performance at The Majestic, and very close to the stage at the next. In Her Majesty's I've been in "all" locations. I think the total feeling matters more than general location. But I agree that smaller auditoriums fits Phantom well. As long as the auditorium is a part of the show (so to speak), it's a good think it isn't too big.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  PMB1034 Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Whoever runs the POTO Facebook must actually read the comments! This morning they posted the new cast list & I pointed out that Scott Davies' name was still spelt incorrectly (Davis), by this afternoon it had been rectified. I know it's not a big deal but I was surprised someone actually pays attention like that, I wouldn't want to wade through all the OMG's etc. Unless of course they noticed themselves.
PMB1034
PMB1034

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:24 am

Yes, they've even started commenting on some of the wall posts fans make. And when I kindly hinted that the South African production had long since announced their cast, playing dates, articles and pictures, and that they would continue to Asia afterwards, and maybe the international POTO site ought to write SOMETHING about it, they actually did. I'm in awe...

Anyhow, I've tried to list the various Phantom performances I've seen. A few from 2001-2003 are still a bit in the blue, but I think I have the London ones down:

January 21, 2003: John Owen Jones, Celia Graham, Matthew Cammelle
January 26, 2004: John Owen Jones, Katie Knight Adams, Ramin Karimloo
January 27, 2004: John Owen Jones, Nicky Adams, Ramin Karimloo
November 8, 2004: John Owen Jones, Rachel Barrell, Oliver Thornton
November 9, 2004: John Owen Jones, Rachel Barrell, Oliver Thornton
September 6, 2005: Earl Carpenter, Rachel Barrell, Oliver Thornton
September 7, 2005: Earl Carpenter, Rachel Barrell, Oliver Thornton
July 15, 2006: Earl Carpenter, Katie Knight Adams, David Shannon
December 8, 2009: David Shannon, Gina Beck, Will Barratt
December 9, 2009: David Shannon, Gina Beck, Simon Bailey

My conclusion is that I've never seen a trio in London I've loved. There's always two fantastic leads, plus one I don't fancy. Or maybe I like them, but I just don't think they're quite there, or right for the part. Like, in early 2004 I saw a superb Phantom and Raoul, but sub-par Christines. Then enters a superb Christine in late 2004, but in comes a sub-par Raoul (I have a weak spot for Thornton, but boy was he miscast as Raoul). Then a good Raoul starts in 2006, along with one of my favourite Phantoms, but horror Christine is back. In 2009 I saw a great Christine and two excellent Raouls, but with a Phantom I just didn't... feel.

Hmmmm... Not giving up. Must keep seeing the production until the perfect trio comes along. Laughing
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:02 am

So apparently Tabitha Webb was on for last night goofs for the current cast change. According to her twitter, she hid under the pillows in the boat when Christine and Raoul paddles away from the Final Lair scene. Sofia Escobar knew, but not Will Barratt. Would have LOVED to see that. She was also with the "track down the murderer" mob crossing the travelator. There were lots more goofs, but she doesn't tell what or with whom.

http://twitter.com/#!/halfpintsinger (also many nice + funny pictures of her in costume there. Did she hurt her elbow for real? If so, it looks quite brutal... for the dress also! Here: http://yfrog.com/ki8dxlxj )
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysChristine Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:04 am

operafantomet wrote:So apparently Tabitha Webb was on for last night goofs for the current cast change. According to her twitter, she hid under the pillows in the boat when Christine and Raoul paddles away from the Final Lair scene. Sofia Escobar knew, but not Will Barratt. Would have LOVED to see that. She was also with the "track down the murderer" mob crossing the travelator. There were lots more goofs, but she doesn't tell what or with whom.

http://twitter.com/#!/halfpintsinger (also many nice + funny pictures of her in costume there. Did she hurt her elbow for real? If so, it looks quite brutal... for the dress also! Here: http://yfrog.com/ki8dxlxj )

Funny and wonderful pics, hihi! Very Happy Twitter is nice!
AlwaysChristine
AlwaysChristine

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 pm

There's a great interview with OLC member Lynn Jezzard, who's still with the show, here: http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/news/the-feature/view/item117777/The-Phantom-turns-25/
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Peter Jöback will be introduced as the new London Phantom at the end of the RAH concert(s). According to his web site, he tried on the Phantom costumes for the first time three days ago - I assume more for the concert than for his stay at Her Majesty's Theatre, but I'm not sure. His comment was "I didn't know he is such a slave of fashion".... Pun intended!

"...provade mina Phantomenkläder i förrgår för första gången - satt riktigt snyggt faktiskt - visste inte att han är en sån fashionslave...."

http://peterjoback.com/blogg_swedish.php
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  MajesticPhantom Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:51 pm

nm
MajesticPhantom
MajesticPhantom

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Something light hearted to add to the thread. Current London Phantom JOJ was voted 41st sexiest man in Wales and ex- Christine u/s Katy Treharne was voted 26th sexiest female! Made me giggle.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  mona lisa Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:24 am

Hi, does anyone know who will be playing the Phantom when JOJ is on vacation? I´m unexpectedly flying to London over the weekend at the end of the month, and I want see the show. I was just wondering whom to expect... is Scott Davies still the stand by? thanks:)

mona lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 am

mona lisa wrote:Hi, does anyone know who will be playing the Phantom when JOJ is on vacation? I´m unexpectedly flying to London over the weekend at the end of the month, and I want see the show. I was just wondering whom to expect... is Scott Davies still the stand by? thanks:)

Think so.

Today's the day, guys. Happy birthday to The Phantom of the Opera, which premiered 25 years ago today at Her Majesty's Theatre in London! Very Happy

The London production 2 - Page 11 Birthday
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:03 am

I second that. 25 years!! In the same theatre! With some of the original cast/orchestra members still at work! I'm in awe. I'm raising my glass to that. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PHANTOM!!!

Reminding of this thread too:
https://desertedphans.forumotion.net/t335-london-casts-of-25-years
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  EarlFan Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:14 am

Happy birthday, dear Phantom, happy birthday to you! cheers
EarlFan
EarlFan

http://riasphantomfiles.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hilde Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:53 am

When is JOJ on holiday? I'll probably be in London the last week of October and I was hoping to catch him...

And of course, happy 25th, Phantom!

Hilde

Back to top Go down

Post  mona lisa Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:06 am

Hilde wrote:When is JOJ on holiday? I'll probably be in London the last week of October and I was hoping to catch him...

And of course, happy 25th, Phantom!

he´s off last week of Oct, I believe

happy birthday to this masterpiece :-)

mona lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22 ... 34  Next