Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Broadway production + US tour

+62
AngelOfMusic325
Bunvendor
Perdita X. Nitt
Blaidd_Drwg
Phantomlove
ifonlyidont
Devon
PhantomsGhost
Liza1013
Amyable_Nature
toasterphantom
Ali
mauerite#5
MajesticPhantom
alaron4
maywood10
Deathshead1
PhantomofPhoenix
Loettchen
Chris Day
Phanatic1539
darthjones
Phantour
operaphan
TheMaskedLion
Miranda
ravnquest1
Rebecca
auctioneer
InkedAlchemist
justin-from-barbados
Christine's Shadow
ML6
Freyalise
Stephanie
Madame Giry
sk8phan
Scorp
The White Half-Mask
starryeyed
Becky
marvinrd
LadyCDaae
AngelofMusic
Demodiki
Callie Daae
phantomphan1992
Phantom on a Budget
Amberly_Nichole
Mme Reyer
Admin
aussiephan
phantom10906
phantomgirl110
MasqPhan
Cape Twirl of Doom
Viscountess
Paula74
Raphael
SenorSwanky
IamErik771
operafantomet
66 posters

Page 8 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next

Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 8 Empty Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:12 am

Rebecca wrote:I've loved seeing them so much over the years (first production I ever saw - way back in 1992!)
Unless you saw it in Seattle in December of '02, that was actually the 2NT, which closed in November 1998 at...what's this?...LA's Pantages. So either that's a coincidence or they are purposefully closing this tour at the same location (which also has the same name as the theater where the Toronto production played) and in the same month as the second company closed.

Y'know something else I noticed on the official site? The run in LA is currently open-ended, without a listed final performance date, which means they could do one of those hoaxes where they extend the run due to popular demand, which they did in Toronto and for the Les Mis revival, among other shows.

I wish I had known this past December would be the last time I would see the tour. I might have appreciated it even more.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 8 Empty Re: The Broadway production + US tour

Post  Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:27 am

SenorSwanky wrote:
Rebecca wrote:I've loved seeing them so much over the years (first production I ever saw - way back in 1992!)
Unless you saw it in Seattle in December of '02, that was actually the 2NT

She knows that, Swanky. She was speaking in general terms that the first time she saw Phantom was when it was on tour. She saw Kevin Gray in Detroit, if I remember correctly, at the Masonic. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:48 am

phantomfett wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:

She knows that, Swanky. She was speaking in general terms that the first time she saw Phantom was when it was on tour. She saw Kevin Gray in Detroit, if I remember correctly, at the Masonic. Cool

Thank you - I appreciate that... and good memory, by the way! It was indeed Kevin Gray at the Masonic Temple in Detroit! Nice work!

And yes, I'm fully aware that there have been multiple US touring companies, and that the Music Box Tour is not the 'one and only original tour'. I meant that I've really valued seeing Phantom on tour over the years, and I'm sad that we're going to have to content ourselves with the sit down productions (until - here's hoping - the tour is revived...). Personally, I've rather preferred the US tour to Broadway... they have a very fond place in my heart. I've been fortunate to see them in at least 11 cities (and no, Seattle wasn't one of them!), multiple times in multiple engagements since that first time in '92 and it just seems sad that suddenly they'll be gone. Kind of felt like you could count on them always being there... like Cheers... 'Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name....' ::sniffle:: I'm gonna stop now, before I get any cheesier....
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:49 am

Rebecca wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:

And yes, I'm fully aware that there have been multiple US touring companies, and that the Music Box Tour is not the 'one and only original tour'.

It's not like you're some sort of international Super Phan or anything...

Oh wait.

Wink Laughing
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Freyalise Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:52 am

I, uh, just started crying. Thank GOD the tour's going to be in Atlanta this summer so I can see it one last time.

My husband is going to have a seriously heartbroken wife when he wakes up...

Freyalise

http://www.stars-fell.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Freyalise Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:36 am

Also--I just talked to D.C. Anderson and he says he doesn't know why the tour's closing, but thinks it may be because it's so expensive to run, which I think someone here suggested earlier?

Okay, I'm going back to being upset. Sad

Freyalise

http://www.stars-fell.com/

Back to top Go down

The Broadway production + US tour - Page 8 Empty tour closing

Post  ravnquest1 Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:27 am

Hey guys..

Coming out of lurkdom. It's a shame the tour is closing, I just caught the show for the first time in a few years in Orlando a few weeks ago. The show was sold out, and Andrew Varela gave an impressive performance behind the mask, so I was surprised as anyone that Wasser decided to close. Especially since I was getting closer to working on the show, I think I might have been able to weasel my way onto the tour in another year or so. Anyway, I look at this being one of two things:

1) It is what it appears to be. The markets have been played out, the show has been seen 5 or 6 times in every major market in the contiguous US for 20 years. Ticket sales have fallen somewhat and bookings continue to get shorter. A show this size can't really do anything less than 3 weeks without being profitable, so it's time to go out gracefully and let it rest, rather than continue to play into shorter engagements with a lot of layoffs in between.

OR

2) The show is very expensive to run right now, in part because many members of the company (cast, crew AND orchestra) have been on it so long. Some crew members have been on it since it opened in 92. This is just a ploy to unload those people, recast and rehire, and put the tour back out again in 6 months with a new group on lower salaries with modified tier union contracts. It will also provide an opportunity to replace and/or repair aging elements of the show, like the set pieces and sound system, and update the show to reflect the other flagship productions. For the Phan, you'll see an ever-so-slightly- crummier '4th National Tour' that might be called 'Raoul's Hat' or 'Giry's Cane' or 'The Phantom's Toothbrush', but it will more or less be the same show. They'll probably eliminate the jump set/advance rig, the wrap-around Clark Transfer truck and pack the show even tighter to save money.

I work in the business, and frankly option 2 is not at all far-fetched. It may not be as quick as 6 months, but never fear. As Phans I would not be too upset. The property is still profitable and some new tour will emerge in the not-to-distant future. This is more than likely about reducing running costs (the nut) and raising profits. I give it 5 or 6 years max before another tour emerges. For the record, I do think it will remain a union/equity show. I don't think it has a life non-equity.

RavnQuest1

ravnquest1

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:I don't think it has a life non-equity.
I would hope not. I could see your second option being the case. Fresh blood wouldn't be bad in some of the cast, though in others, fresh blood is not necessarily a good thing if it means "young, rocky" in the Phantom role, for instance. Phantoms have already been getting young and namby-pamby enough.

rather than continue to play into shorter engagements with a lot of layoffs in between.
I think it's generally still been playing a month everywhere, with about 4 days in between (which you need to get the cast and crew in place and acclimated), for the last few years.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Phantom on a Budget wrote:
And yes, I'm fully aware that there have been multiple US touring companies, and that the Music Box Tour is not the 'one and only original tour'.

Oh wait.

Wink Laughing

Laughing On another smaller Phantom board I used to post at, they used to refer to Big Name Phans...the ones who have done so much awesome stuff (recreated fabulous costumes, collected original costumes, set a record for seeing performances, etc) that everyone in the "phandom" knows who they are. Very Happy

ravnquest1 wrote:I don't think it has a life non-equity.

I'd hate to see that happen. My experiences with non-equity tours hasn't been very good. For example, Aida had noticeably canned music, one very drab set, very limited costumes, and a hit-or-miss cast...Aida was very good, Radames was hunky, but bland, Amneris was so obviously lip-synching, and Zoser was impossible to understand (his diction was so bad that he could've been singing in Chinese with a wet sock in his mouth for all I know). The dancing was excellent, but that was high point. Not that I didn't enjoy it in general, but I was very glad I'd bought the cheapest ticket possible and, since then, I've been leery of seeing non-Equity tours. Hairspray was here a couple of weeks ago. I love it and my partner probably would've like it...but even their promo videos looked bad... a small, cheap set for the big final scene, the cast was low-energy, etc..

I wouldn't want to see Phantom like that.
Paula74
Paula74

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Miranda Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:19 am

This is sad news. However, I am fortunate that 3 future locations which I have seen the show in before are near enough to me.

I already have tickets for Dayton, OH. This is my small road trip (3.5 to 4 hours). I'll be meeting up with my good friend from Indiana to see it.

I had already planned on at least once in Cleveland (2 hours). Single tickets go on sale next month.

I did not know about the Pittsburgh, PA stop (1 hour away). I'll probably take it in several times here. I'm actually surprised it's back at this location so "soon" as it normally was a 6 year cycle. It was last here in 2006.

If anyone is planning on going to any of these locations, let me know and maybe we could meet up for a chat, etc.
Miranda
Miranda

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Phantom on a Budget wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
SenorSwanky wrote:

Oh wait.

Wink Laughing

I soooo wish that came with super powers.... Not sure what they would be, but it would be pretty awesome!!!
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm just going to ignore the fact that the tour is closing for a few months and say that I'm going to go see it on Wednesday. Very Happy
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMaskedLion Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm sorry, the Tour has been performing to packed houses every night for years, I call bullshit. They are closing it to make way for this crappy sequel, that's obvious.
TheMaskedLion
TheMaskedLion

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Count-Alexiel-Ravenswood wrote:I'm sorry, the Tour has been performing to packed houses every night for years, I call bullshit. They are closing it to make way for this crappy sequel, that's obvious.

that makes no sence at all. The 2 are totally unrelated. I could understand if the sequel was running and was a hit, but it hasn't even opened yet.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:52 pm

ravnquest1 wrote:
OR

2) The show is very expensive to run right now, in part because many members of the company (cast, crew AND orchestra) have been on it so long. Some crew members have been on it since it opened in 92. This is just a ploy to unload those people, recast and rehire, and put the tour back out again in 6 months with a new group on lower salaries with modified tier union contracts. It will also provide an opportunity to replace and/or repair aging elements of the show, like the set pieces and sound system, and update the show to reflect the other flagship productions. For the Phan, you'll see an ever-so-slightly- crummier '4th National Tour' that might be called 'Raoul's Hat' or 'Giry's Cane' or 'The Phantom's Toothbrush', but it will more or less be the same show. They'll probably eliminate the jump set/advance rig, the wrap-around Clark Transfer truck and pack the show even tighter to save money.
I agree with ravnquest1. I think this could very well be the answer. With the economy the way it's been, it make sense to go back and (terrible though it might sound) "trim the fat." I believe this scenario probably has more to do with the Tour's closing than the sequel ever would.
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Going to see it tonight!!
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Reviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreview! Very Happy

(Uh, oh yes - and have fun!)
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:39 pm

Based on a post at BroadwayWorld, it seems that John Cudia is out for a bit. Jeremy Stolle was understudying for him.

Not sure how long he's out or why.
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:25 pm

A little taste of Stolle's Phantom, from last year's Broadway in Bryant Park:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZZOSjo6e7Y

Not bad. Very McGillin-ish.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Paula74 wrote:Based on a post at BroadwayWorld, it seems that John Cudia is out for a bit. Jeremy Stolle was understudying for him.

I read somewhere that " Paul S." will go on as the Phantom. I assume we're not talking Paul Stanley here...?
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:53 pm

operafantomet wrote:Reviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreview! Very Happy

(Uh, oh yes - and have fun!)
I'll have to write a review when I'm not so exhausted. But my friend and I did get interviewed for a video for the Dallas Summer Musicals website, and it's supposed to be up today.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Paula74 wrote:Based on a post at BroadwayWorld, it seems that John Cudia is out for a bit. Jeremy Stolle was understudying for him.

I read somewhere that " Paul S." will go on as the Phantom. I assume we're not talking Paul Stanley here...?
Double post.

According to Kimilee Bryant's Facebook (or her comment on one of her photos, rather), Paul Schaeffer is going on as the Phantom tonight.
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula74 Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:15 pm

operafantomet wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Glad to know I'm not the only person who had that reaction for a moment!
Paula74
Paula74

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Phew... I really wondered there for a moment! Laughing Thanks for the clarification.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  operaphan Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 pm

phantomphan1992 wrote:...But my friend and I did get interviewed for a video for the Dallas Summer Musicals website, and it's supposed to be up today.

Link to the video, please!! I'd love to see it!! (Didn't find it on the Dallas Summer Musicals homepage)

Susan
operaphan
operaphan

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:42 pm

operaphan wrote:
phantomphan1992 wrote:...But my friend and I did get interviewed for a video for the Dallas Summer Musicals website, and it's supposed to be up today.

Link to the video, please!! I'd love to see it!! (Didn't find it on the Dallas Summer Musicals homepage)

Susan
I haven't found it yet. I'm guessing they haven't put it up yet. Either that, or it's in a very obscure location.

Edit: Just bought tickets for March 6th at 2:00. Very Happy
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:30 am

Paul Stanley's on tour with KISS in Europe at the moment, I believe, so no luck there. Wink
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 pm

operafantomet wrote:Reviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreviewreview! Very Happy
Hey, isn't that my line? Wink

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:30 pm

Raphael wrote:
Hey, isn't that my line? Wink

R.
Only if the performance includes apple!porn or hip swishes by certain persons... rabbit
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  phantomphan1992 Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:58 pm

phantomphan1992 wrote:
operaphan wrote:

Susan
I haven't found it yet. I'm guessing they haven't put it up yet. Either that, or it's in a very obscure location.

Edit: Just bought tickets for March 6th at 2:00. Very Happy
The video's up, in case anyone cares to watch it. I'm the holding the rose. Very Happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyNeE1jjyLA
phantomphan1992
phantomphan1992

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 21 ... 34  Next