Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

25th anniversary celebrations

+66
Phantomess
StrangerThanUDreamt
RatSalsa
PridePhan
PorteƱa
vmkwinner
Molina
Becky
TheFinnishPhantom
Viscountess
tmarucci
Paula74
eriklefantome
phantomphan1992
LiQuiD DiAmOnD
BradPhan
Phantour
Amberly_Nichole
Bunvendor
alaron4
ChristineDaae1982
Freyalise
Mandrake
phantomgirl110
Phantom on a Budget
tiawhitecat
justin1976
ravnquest1
AlwaysChristine
auctioneer
Callie Daae
ette
Blind Phan
PhantomsGhost
phantom10906
Bric
Josephine
moaja
justin-from-barbados
Lycanthrope
Miss von Krolock
MaskedLion
MasqPhan
ifonlyidont
LadyCDaae
CountessDeChangy
Helen
TrapDoorLurker
starryeyed
Cape Twirl of Doom
operafantomet
Madame Giry
EarlFan
Aled_Boyo
MajesticPhantom
IamErik771
Mme Reyer
Phantomlove
ladygodiva
Rebecca
PhantomJT
ML6
Raphael
PMB1034
SenorSwanky
Scorp
70 posters

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

25th anniversary celebrations - Page 4 Empty Re: 25th anniversary celebrations

Post  LadyCDaae Thu May 26, 2011 3:42 pm

*sigh*

I am not surprised, while at the same time being very disappointed. As I said earlier, I'm so over the whole Ramin/Sierra fan love (not their fault, I just think there's a bunch of lead performers equally if not more deserving of attention).

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu May 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Has Sierra Boggess been confirmed? If it is indeed her and Ramin, I'm not surprised. I expected it to be honest. I'm just disappointed. I didn't like Sierra in LND, and I was never a huge fan of Ramin's Phantom. He's a talented guy and I liked him a lot as Enjolras, I just never bought into his portrayal of Phantom, and he never moved me in the way that other actors I've seen have. Hopefully Raoul and the supporting cast will make up for it. I guess that given the LND connections, it's reasonable to assume Liz Robertson will be playing Mme Giry.

I'll hopefully go, celebrate a show I love, no doubt have a great time & hopefully latch on to at least one of the performers (in Miz it was Norm) & appreciate if not adore the rest. Plus I may get to see Wilkinson, Crawford, Brightman belt a few verses out.

I know what you mean. When the Les Mis cast was announced last year, I was a bit disappointed. I went along and had an amazing time, and apart from a certain cast member who was beyond awful (you all know who I'm talking about) I thought the cast were fantastic.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu May 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Sierra hasn't been confirmed, however Tam (Mutu from LND) has quite heavily hinted at it and then it appeared in that article, who knows, it most likely will be Sierra.

I think this will most likely follow the lead of the Les Mis concerts as Colm Wilkinson has said he is involved and John Owen Jones seems to quite obviously be involved (even if he hasn't come out and said it.)

Not really related, but sort of related, right after reading the Ramin article something else caught my eye as an advertisement, a news story about Nick Jonas delving back into theatre with another big event following the Les Mis 25th Anniversary Concert, for a split second my heart stopped and I prepared myself to read he was going to be Raoul in the Phantom concert. I clicked the link and it was actually about him being Link Larkin in a few performances of Hairspray at the Hollywood Bowl.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 pm

starryeyed wrote:Not really related, but sort of related, right after reading the Ramin article something else caught my eye as an advertisement, a news story about Nick Jonas delving back into theatre with another big event following the Les Mis 25th Anniversary Concert, for a split second my heart stopped and I prepared myself to read he was going to be Raoul in the Phantom concert. I clicked the link and it was actually about him being Link Larkin in a few performances of Hairspray at the Hollywood Bowl.

The same thing happened to me! So is it just Ramin that's confirmed for the concert, then? They're really stringing the whole thing out. The date must be arranged already, I don't understand why they can't just confirm it.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 pm

LadyCDaae wrote:*sigh*

I am not surprised, while at the same time being very disappointed. As I said earlier, I'm so over the whole Ramin/Sierra fan love (not their fault, I just think there's a bunch of lead performers equally if not more deserving of attention).
You and me both. I'm disappointed that they go with the latest hype when there's so many better Phantom performers out there. I would also have preferred someone with a longer Phantom history (and by that I don't count "Love Never Dies", I'm thinking the original). John Owen Jones, Peter Karrie, Anthony Warlow, Brad Little, Rebecca Caine, Ana Marina, Claire Moore you name it. Although I think few will deny Karimloo & Boggess are talented, to me it feels more like picking someone young and pretty who can sing, and at the same time tying original+sequel together. I know they think they're "renewing" Phantom with this, but if that really was their goal they should have picked amazing unknown talents. But I know money speaks loudest here, and they'll sell lots of tickets on this casting.

This is not said to hurt eventual fans of the named performers, or to deny their talent. I just think it has so little to do with Phantom history, and it is after all what is celebrated - no?
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Thu May 26, 2011 5:39 pm

I just hope it is filmed for those of us who can;t attend
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  IamErik771 Thu May 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Not all that surprised by the supposed casting of Sierra... While a bit disappointed by the two leads, I'm still looking forward to seeing what goes on at the event, especially given Colm Wilkinson's involvement. Maybe they will do something with previous leads from other productions (and hopefully not having them play bit parts).
IamErik771
IamErik771

http://iamerik771.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Thu May 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Apparently confirmation of "most details" will be around June 1st. I've also read that the concert will be a "completely new version" of the show, take from that what you will.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Thu May 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Well at least we can expect a delightful finale: "It's over now...jk we're going to have a night beneath a moonless sky, buy these unsold LND CDs from the foyer NOW to find out what we did next!"
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Josephine Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Scorp wrote:Well at least we can expect a delightful finale: "It's over now...jk we're going to have a night beneath a moonless sky, buy these unsold LND CDs from the foyer NOW to find out what we did next!"

*chuckles* And watch out for the new LND books "What the Phantom did", "What the Phantom did after school" and "What the Phantom did next"!

Josephine

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 pm

Okay, I'm going to rant, just a little.

A certain little bird told me about this and I just had to put in my two cents.

I hate how he is now solidifying the sequel with the original production, and what better way than the year of the 25th. (snicker)

Shit like this makes me wonder 'why bother' because of how much Webber has gone over the deep end, its impossible and laughable to even think that the 25th would have been a joint collaboration with different performers who have played the characters over the years.

Honestly, fandom sucks so much for Phantom. I'll take 2002 fandom days over this crap.

Evil or Very Mad
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri May 27, 2011 8:35 am

Scorp wrote:Is the product they're celebrating the biggest piece of hokum ever written with 2-dimensional characters that they apparently all love or Love Never Dies?
Burn. Laughing

Seriously, WTF?! They couldn't even give us JOJ or Earl? I'm not even asking for Peter Karrie, as nice as that would be.

Well at least we can expect a delightful finale: "It's over now...jk we're going to have a night beneath a moonless sky, buy these unsold LND CDs from the foyer NOW to find out what we did next!"
Scorp for the win.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  justin-from-barbados Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Admitadely not a fan of JOJ, but Earl? in my books far worse, cant handle the higher notes at all. His "I have brought you" btought tears to my eyes, for all the wrong reasons.
justin-from-barbados
justin-from-barbados

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Fri May 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Yeah, I strangely have never really liked Earl's Phantom for that reason (despite the fact I love his voice in other roles) and because some of his acting, while brilliant, seemed forced rather than natural, but he'd be far preferable to Ramin.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri May 27, 2011 4:04 pm

I agree, it all seems to be a calculated effort to use the 25th Anniversary to drum up sales for LND. Very disappointing. I had put serious thought into flying to London to attend the performance if possible, but now I think I'll just wait for the TV broadcast.

TAFKaR
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat May 28, 2011 12:08 am

Raphael wrote:I agree, it all seems to be a calculated effort to use the 25th Anniversary to drum up sales for LND. Very disappointing. I had put serious thought into flying to London to attend the performance if possible, but now I think I'll just wait for the TV broadcast.

TAFKaR

OH HO. Don't even get me started about that television broadcast. That is when we're going to really see things get ugly. Imagine: Webber has Ramin and Sierra as Phantom and Christine ; Webber plugs an ad for his LND recording ; people go, 'Oh my god, those are the singers who were singing tonight! I must get the sequel, because this is amazing!' ; Webber sees how many albums LND sold, Webber takes said numbers to the press to simply say, "Look at this! LND is a success in the US! Look at the numbers!' And then, then, Webber drops the big one: stages LND in the US.

... I feel we are doomed, people.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Sat May 28, 2011 5:51 am

I don't think there'll be actual ads because it'll probably be on PBS over here. But just the fact he's using an apparently new staging and Ramin and Sierra is advertisement enough.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Apparently Wynne Evans, probably better known to those in the UK as the "Go Compare Guy" is to be Piangi in the concert. This doesn't appear to be confirmed though and could have stemmed from the fact that he was at Phantom a few weeks ago.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:58 pm

A while ago, I joked about the Go Compare Guy playing Piangi. I didn't think for a second it would actually happen. I'd love Rohan Tickell to play the role.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  Josephine Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:19 pm

starryeyed wrote:Apparently Wynne Evans, probably better known to those in the UK as the "Go Compare Guy" is to be Piangi in the concert. This doesn't appear to be confirmed though and could have stemmed from the fact that he was at Phantom a few weeks ago.

I really want to know if that's true. It would be so funny! I love the "Go Compare" Guy!

Josephine

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:31 am

Someone over at musicals.net wrote this:
Oh, and the 25th anniversary tour will feature GLORIOUS new staging and spectacular, re-imagined scenery inspired by the drawings of murderous lunatic John Wayne Gacy. I cannot wait.
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=82030&start=12

Eh.... Huh? And really? So the new tour is to be launched this year, and it'll be based on the illustrations of a mass murderer? If anything, it sounds unique....
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyCDaae Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I think (hope?) someone's having it on with that one...didn't Gacy paint clowns mostly? (Maybe it's the concept for yet another version of Love Never Dies?)

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Bleurgh on projections, but I think it would be cool if they use mass murderer-related stuff in order to counterbalance the inevitable 'young and sexy and so romantic' vision that I'm dreading...
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:52 am

That's gotta be a joke. I'm all for derangement and Gothic darkness in the set design, but in Googling his work, I don't see what application there could possibly be to Phantom. LND maybe.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 pm

I want to throw in my two cents here. ---Not an original thought, but I think it's disgusting that they are using two performers best known for being in the crap sequel to play the leads in an anniversary performance that is supposed to honor the 25 years of the original Phantom of the Opera. Evil or Very Mad
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Bric wrote:I want to throw in my two cents here. ---Not an original thought, but I think it's disgusting that they are using two performers best known for being in the crap sequel to play the leads in an anniversary performance that is supposed to honor the 25 years of the original Phantom of the Opera. Evil or Very Mad

I agree with Bric 100%. I've been a bit out of the loop so I just heard about this. I have nothing against Ramin and Sierra personally, by all accounts they're very nice people - but I think there are far better performers who have had a longer and more distinguished association with The Original Show and that those individuals should be given the opportunity to have their interpretations of the role recorded for posterity instead of two younger actors who are clearly being used only as a marketing ploy for a struggling/failed sequel to "The Brilliant Original".

I mean, I'm not even saying that you'd have to use the Original Phantoms (that would be kinda nice, actually), but yeah, using Ramin and Sierra just reeks of commercial cross-pollination; and really an uninspiring approach.

Get with it, RUG.

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Apparently their casting isn't to promote the London show. It's closing August 27.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Madame Giry Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:35 am

Yeah I was wondering about that, too. Unless LND is still there to promote, what's the rationale behind using Ramin and Sierra, as opposed to any one of a legion of arguably more-deserving (and perhaps more-talented) choices?

~Madame~
Madame Giry
Madame Giry

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 am

Perhaps Ramin will become disillusioned with Webber and bow out of the concert. Just a thought.
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Bric Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:26 pm

Being my most cynical, I think it might be possible that the concert is a sop ALW planned for Ramin when he (ALW) knew LND was closing.
Bric
Bric

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next