Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High School and College Productions

+30
Madame Giry
Bunvendor
TheFinnishPhantom
PhantomsGhost
Scorp
Freyalise
ChristineDaae1982
Phantomlove
Phantour
toasterphantom
The White Half-Mask
AngelOfMusic325
IamErik771
Princess
Bric
Paula74
Raphael
Alyssa
Christine's Shadow
SenorSwanky
Deathshead1
Phantom on a Budget
Becky
PhantomofPhoenix
phantom10906
Rebecca
ML6
LadyCDaae
operafantomet
MasqPhan
34 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

High School and College Productions Empty High School and College Productions

Post  MasqPhan Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:14 am

Remember the test runs last year that were allowed at certain schools?

It looks like once the Phantom Tour has closed that high schools and colleges in the US and Canada will be able to get the rights to ALW's Phantom.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/phantom-now-available-to-students/

A link to some official footage from the test productions: http://rnh.com/video_detail.asp?cid=5620&rid=PH&rtab=video&s=1

Last edited by MasqPhan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a link)
MasqPhan
MasqPhan
Admin

Back to top Go down

High School and College Productions Empty Re: High School and College Productions

Post  operafantomet Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:46 am

For one who was majorly underwhelmed with what the school productions came up with re: Phantom, this is bad, bad news. The only ones who seemed decent was those who copied Maria Bjørnson's design, and that's not how it should be... And to think the US tour will be replaced with LSN LND and school productions! *shudders*

I'm sure decent version will occur, eventually, but I also think people underestimate what POTO takes, and what the winning concept of the original is. It's not isolated components, but the components combined to a near perfect product. To me, POTO isn't POTO if you remove Gillian Lynne's choreography, or Maria Bjørnson's design, or Hal Prince's directing, from the music.

(you can tell I'm not an avid fan of the movie and non-replica productions either, albeit I have a soft spot for the Hungarian one)
operafantomet
operafantomet

http://www.anea.no

Back to top Go down

High School and College Productions Empty Re: High School and College Productions

Post  LadyCDaae Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 pm

It was bound to happen eventually. I still think the only way we're going to see a really good non-replica version of this is if a production team finds its own vision, instead of just trying to copy the Prince/Bjornson staging (which really can't be duplicated, especially on a budget) or worse, the movie (which looked cheap in places to begin with--Christine's PoNR costume, come on). If a local high school gets in on this, I'm sure I'll check it out from morbid curiosity, if nothing else.

~LCD

LadyCDaae

http://musicalhell.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:22 pm

operafantomet wrote:For one who was majorly underwhelmed with what the school productions came up with re: Phantom, this is bad, bad news. The only ones who seemed decent was those who copied Maria Bjørnson's design, and that's not how it should be... And to think the US tour will be replaced with LSN LND and school productions! *shudders*

I'm sure decent version will occur, eventually, but I also think people underestimate what POTO takes, and what the winning concept of the original is. It's not isolated components, but the components combined to a near perfect product. To me, POTO isn't POTO if you remove Gillian Lynne's choreography, or Maria Bjørnson's design, or Hal Prince's directing, from the music.

(you can tell I'm not an avid fan of the movie and non-replica productions either, albeit I have a soft spot for the Hungarian one)

Lady, I'm re-copying your post because you took the exact words out of my mouth. And, damn, I do have a huge soft spot for the Hungarian one.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 pm

....and I third that opinion.

I kinda feel like, if ALW who composed the show doesn't even seem to 'get' why it's so successful, then there are probably a LOT of people far less familiar with it who can botch it up big time....
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Rebecca wrote:....and I third that opinion.

I kinda feel like, if ALW who composed the show doesn't even seem to 'get' why it's so successful, then there are probably a LOT of people far less familiar with it who can botch it up big time....

I'm pretty sure we are going to see replica's of the movie version on stages across the US. Evil or Very Mad
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:42 pm

I don't see myself going to see anything other than a professional, real production of Phantom. I love it too much to watch it get destroyed like this. When I need to purge my brain of these little productions, I'll go sit in my basement with my Phantom stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 pm

phantomfett wrote:I don't see myself going to see anything other than a professional, real production of Phantom. I love it too much to watch it get destroyed like this. When I need to purge my brain of these little productions, I'll go sit in my basement with my Phantom stuff.

Clearly the most sensible approach possible.

Jeff and I will build a fortress with our Phantom memorabilia, from which we can shoot fireballs at the inevitable army of 16 year old Gerik's that will soon by swarming the countryside. And the fortress will have a sign that says 'Old Skool FTW' in bold letters. And the letters will be written in permanent marker. Permanent!!!

See? See how that could be funny?!? Only it's not 'cause it's real?!? Like the sequel?!?

::holds head and sobs::
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:40 pm

Crying or Very sad there, there, Rebecca.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  phantom10906 Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:48 pm

As disturbing as this makes me, I had a feeling it was coming. I just dont see how its possible for ANY theatre company or high school to put together an even passable production. Well there go my hopes for a new tour with in a few years. Evil or Very Mad
phantom10906
phantom10906

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=608426503#/profile.php?id

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:52 pm

It makes you distrubing, Andy? Uh-oh.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't think distrubing is even a word.... oh dear!!!!

</smartass>
Rebecca
Rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:06 pm

random story/

There is a thread on BroadwayWorld I have saved to my favorites. It's called BAD High School Musical Productions. I can't wait for some of these Phantom productions to make it's way there. Though, that'd be awfully sad, its going to happen.

\story over

How in the world are they going to do the boat and or all the special effects? This is not 'Les Miserables' where everything is pretty much in the dark.
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomofPhoenix Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:26 am

I pretty much agree with everything everyone is saying, but it was bound to happen sometime. I'm not very excited about the news (I was more excited about Sunset BLVD finally being released) but I can see why Lloyd Webber is doing, which pretty much breaks down to that he wants more money. Which I'm sure this show being done locally can bring in. Though hearing high school kids belt out any of the songs scare me. But alteast I can watch a poor production of the show, then drive to Vegas to remind how good the show is when it is done professionaly.

And if they put the sword fight in it, I'm going to walk out!

PhantomofPhoenix

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:53 am

PhantomofPhoenix wrote:But alteast I can watch a poor production of the show, then drive to Vegas to remind how good the show is when it is done professionaly.
See, not everyone can do that. And I'm already dreading hearing people say "I saw POTO, what is the big deal? it wasn't all that, apart from a few decent songs. But that kid was good.".

I miss the days where Cam Mack decided that what you saw across America should be just as good as what you saw in West End and on Broadway. Like, you should know what you get when buying a ticket to POTO, no matter the location.

And as I wrote in the FB site of official POTO, it makes me sad that Maria Bjørnson's design isn't better copyrighted. It should be protected from cheap imitations, especially from those who mix her design with random school costumes or movie inspired costumes. Being the perfectionist she was, I don't think she would be very happy to see her work for POTO being thus tangles with. But i'm sure ALW will come along and say "Oh, but she always said she wanted schools to do it"... silent
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Becky Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 am

operafantomet wrote: But i'm sure ALW will come along and say "Oh, but she always said she wanted schools to do it"... silent
heh, I can see him claiming "this was never really meant to be portrayed by professional groups, it was ideally to be performed by high schoolers - that was the original intention all along!" Of course, he would follow up the statement five or so years later with "this was never intended to be performed by such young performers." Razz

Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:09 am

I'm sorry, but anything that Webber says nowadays I make sure to step over like sh!t on the pavement. study
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantom on a Budget Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:38 am

ML6 wrote:I'm sorry, but anything that Webber says nowadays I make sure to step over like sh!t on the pavement. study
+1
Phantom on a Budget
Phantom on a Budget

http://www.phantomonabudget.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deathshead1 Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:57 pm

i do think it gives hope to other theatre's that high schools can somehow pull it off.
Deathshead1
Deathshead1

http://http./www.wix.com/deathsheaderik1/deathsheadcom.wix

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:58 am

Deathshead1 wrote:i do think it gives hope to other theatre's that high schools can somehow pull it off.
But what they're eventually "pulling off" is an amateur version. I don't want regular theatres to be on that level, I want professional POTO to be the brand product it has been since 1986.

And judging from the photos and videos from the US school tryout of POTO, there weren't too many "pulling it off". There were some highlights, but most of it was clearly on a too advanced level for those schools. I gag if I have to hear another bad "Prima Donna" and title song... (that's not solely aimed at the schools, btw, I found lots of amateur versions when I browsed YouTube the other day).

Apparently I'm particularly bitter today... Probably just tired of the whole business.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 pm

operafantomet wrote:
Deathshead1 wrote:i do think it gives hope to other theatre's that high schools can somehow pull it off.
But what they're eventually "pulling off" is an amateur version. I don't want regular theatres to be on that level, I want professional POTO to be the brand product it has been since 1986.

And judging from the photos and videos from the US school tryout of POTO, there weren't too many "pulling it off". There were some highlights, but most of it was clearly on a too advanced level for those schools. I gag if I have to hear another bad "Prima Donna" and title song... (that's not solely aimed at the schools, btw, I found lots of amateur versions when I browsed YouTube the other day).

Apparently I'm particularly bitter today... Probably just tired of the whole business.

Anea, where the hell are these videos and why aren't I laughing my ass off right now?
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:13 pm

You can find a lot of clips on YouTube (though they come and go). Enter the name of the school (for example "Carroll High School", "Nyack High School") and "Phantom of the Opera".

ETA: here's the list of the schools in the pilot project. But there's a lot of other... erm... enjoyable amateur clips on YouTube as well, not sure how legal they were.

http://www.stagetalk.co.uk/news/phantom-of-the-opera-in-north-american-high-schools-and-colleges/
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  SenorSwanky Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:25 am

Dismaying. They obviously had a really low bar set if those productions were deemed successful. I wouldn't mind seeing some good regional companies attempt Phantom, but it should be off limits for schools, even colleges, unless they're really, really elite performing arts schools with large budgets. I just worry that little discretion will be exerted when approving applications. They already are too easy with the Les Mis School Edition, which has been done really well, but more often than not, incredibly laughably. A replica production has been done three or four times now by the county-wide school system here, directed by a former Valjean, performed at the 2,200-seat theater where a lot of touring productions perform, and featuring the exact same set and costumes except the revolving stage, and it was fantastic the two times I saw it, but searching YouTube, you'll get ghastly crap after ghastly crap.
SenorSwanky
SenorSwanky

https://www.facebook.com/dustiningalls

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine's Shadow Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:07 pm

Should I fear for my school's reputation/my life for the next three years upcoming? I really hope that my program Directors are smart enough to leave this alone and go for a much performing arts school friendly show...
Christine's Shadow
Christine's Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:15 pm

SenorSwanky wrote:Dismaying. They obviously had a really low bar set if those productions were deemed successful. I wouldn't mind seeing some good regional companies attempt Phantom, but it should be off limits for schools, even colleges, unless they're really, really elite performing arts schools with large budgets. I just worry that little discretion will be exerted when approving applications. They already are too easy with the Les Mis School Edition, which has been done really well, but more often than not, incredibly laughably. A replica production has been done three or four times now by the county-wide school system here, directed by a former Valjean, performed at the 2,200-seat theater where a lot of touring productions perform, and featuring the exact same set and costumes except the revolving stage, and it was fantastic the two times I saw it, but searching YouTube, you'll get ghastly crap after ghastly crap.

Three words: Blacklick High School. Their production of Les Miserables is HILARIOUS. I have the whole thing saved to my computer for easy laughs. If they took on Phantom, the horror and the hilarity!
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

High School and College Productions Empty High School Musicals!

Post  Alyssa Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Starting today, R&H Theatricals is accepting applications for performances of Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical phenomenon by high schools and colleges across the USA and Canada, beginning September 2010.

R&H Theatricals, an Imagem Company and a division of The Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization (RHO), is proud to announce that high schools and colleges in the USA and Canada will soon be able to perform the most successful musical of all time, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Applications to perform Andrew Lloyd Webber's international musical phenomenon are being accepted starting today, June 3, for performances beginning September 1, 2010.

"Andrew's passion for bringing young people into the musical theater is so deeply felt," notes RHO President Ted Chapin, "that he has authorized us to release PHANTOM to schools even while it continues to thrive on Broadway and all over the globe. We always believed that school performances of PHANTOM would bring out the best in each and every student, and the pilot productions we saw across America more than confirmed that belief."

Anticipating the release of PHANTOM to schools, R&H Theatricals created a pilot project working closely with RUG (Lloyd Webber's Really Useful Group). In the 2007-8 academic year, PHANTOM was presented -- in full productions and in its entirety-- by two colleges and four high schools: Baldwin-Wallace College, Berea, Ohio; Elon University, Elon, North Carolina; Carroll Senior High School, Westlake, Texas; Nyack High School, Nyack, New York; Fairfield Senior High School, Fairfield, Ohio; and Capital High School, Charleston, West Virginia.

PHANTOM was “a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” said Stacie Martinsen of Carroll Senior High School. “It helped our department’s recognition level go through the roof, and the number of kids who wanted to be involved in theater after PHANTOM nearly doubled.” PHANTOM was "more profitable and [received] far more media attention than any other show we've produced," said Mindy Reed of Fairfield Senior High School. "It helped gain respect from the community for our theatre program." It was a "wonderful opportunity" for Baldwin-Wallace College, said administrator Scott Plane. "There was a great deal of 'buzz' about this piece that generated a kind of energy we don't usually experience, which helped our program grow. I'd recommend PHANTOM to any school that wishes to push themselves; it's ultimately extremely rewarding."

R&H Theatricals has been representing North American performance rights to Lloyd Webber's musicals since 2001, with SUNSET BOULEVARD being the latest title to be released (for professional customers only at this time), joining CATS, JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT, JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, EVITA, ASPECTS OF LOVE, BY JEEVES, SONG & DANCE -- and now, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

PLEASE NOTE, as indicated, the release of performance rights for The Phantom of the Opera is at this stage restricted to high schools and colleges across the USA and Canada only.

Source: http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/news_reviews/news/story714.php

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There already existed a topic for school productions of POTO, I merged the new school production topic into this one.)
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:40 am

For those interested, I found a 4-part featurette of the Carroll High School production.

Part 1: Rehearsals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVz4OmavFg

Part 2: Meet the Actors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-489EHzIdN8

Part 3: Behind the Scenes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnG1seE5dm0

Part 4: Opening Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnG1seE5dm0

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

http://www.phantoonsoftheopera.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:11 am

The official site has a blog feature focusing on one of this year's college productions. Interesting to hear how they plan to adapt the production...

http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com/news_reviews/news/story724.php

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operafantomet Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:02 am

Not thrilled about doing ALL the mock operas as dress rehearsals when the sole goal seems to be to save money on costumes.... But I think the blog is well written.
operafantomet
operafantomet

Back to top Go down

Post  Raphael Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:06 pm

It'll also require a little reworking of the lyrics since the "audience" is referenced during Il Muto, right? I'll be following the blog. Should be interesting to follow how they go about adapting the show for their restrictions.

R.
Raphael
Raphael
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next