Deserted Phans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sondheim's Passion

5 posters

Go down

Sondheim's Passion Empty Sondheim's Passion

Post  Scorp Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:18 pm

So can any Sondheim fans here tell me much about this show? I've always known a bit about it but I don't really know the score or the details of the story. It always sounded to me a bit like Aspects of Love gone Sondheim. But the Donmar in London is reviving this later this year as part of Sondheim's 80th birthday celebrations, and I am definitely intending on seeing it, especially as it has been announced that the absolutely amazing ELENA ROGER (!!!!!...yes, I love her) is starring in it.
Scorp
Scorp

http://phantomslair.com

Back to top Go down

Sondheim's Passion Empty Re: Sondheim's Passion

Post  Scorp Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Saw this last night and I thought it was marvellous. GO AND SEE THIS if you have the opportunity to. I think the run may be sold out now but there's still the chance of day tickets and standing seats. Who knew that Sondheim could make me cry like that? There's something deeply resonant in lines as simple as: 'Loving you is not a choice/It's who I am'. I'm not sure how this would fare in a large West End or Broadway theatre but for the Donmar it is a perfect fit.

The cast is extraordinarily talented and I thought pretty much everyone was perfect in their roles. David Thaxton was remarkable and I'm sad I never saw his Enjolras. Simon Bailey's part wasn't big but he did an excellent job as well. Told him afterwards how much I loved his Raoul, as I never got a chance to while he was in Phantom. Scarlett Strallen practically perfect as well; interesting to see her in something like this after seeing her in the very different Mary Poppins.

Elena Roger stole the show though with a thoroughly captivating and nuanced performance. She is a diamond!

Hoping for a cast recording...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  ML6 Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:01 pm

I have the DVD coming in the mail. (Of the Original Broadway Cast)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've heard a few of the songs a long time ago, and this was back when I was gtting into Into the Woods. Elena played Fosca, right? Very Happy She's the really interesting character.

What else can you say about the production?
ML6
ML6

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss von Krolock Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Scorp wrote:Who knew that Sondheim could make me cry like that? There's something deeply resonant in lines as simple as: 'Loving you is not a choice/It's who I am'. I'm not sure how this would fare in a large West End or Broadway theatre but for the Donmar it is a perfect fit.
It played at the Queen's Theatre back in 1996, with Michael Ball, Maria Friedman and Helen Hobson in the lead roles. I believe I even have the cast recording. "Loving you" is a beautiful song indeed.

Scorp wrote:David Thaxton was remarkable and I'm sad I never saw his Enjolras.
Off topic, I know, but what??? How dare you? Shocked Thaxton's Enjolras is LEGEND! Very Happy
Miss von Krolock
Miss von Krolock

http://www.myspace.com/miss_von_krolock

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm

I think I'm the only not to find David Thaxton's performance as Enjolras legendary. I much preferred him in Passion, I re-iterate Scorp's words, it is a fantastic show and everyone should go see it.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Helen Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 pm

starryeyed wrote:I think I'm the only not to find David Thaxton's performance as Enjolras legendary

He was excellent as Enjolras, but I'm not sure I'd call his performance legendary either. I want to see Passion soon, but I'll have to hope I can get a ticket on the day.

Helen

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:49 am

Passion performances this Monday - Wednesday have been cancelled due to an injury sustained by David Birrell on Saturday. I hope no-one from this board was meant to go to any of these performances as they can only offer refunds and not exchanges due to it being a mostly sold out run.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:22 am

Passion won the Evening Standard Award for Best Musical fighting off competition from the 25th Anniversary Tour of Les Miserables and Legally Blonde.

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorp Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:48 pm

starryeyed wrote:Passion won the Evening Standard Award for Best Musical fighting off competition from the 25th Anniversary Tour of Les Miserables and Legally Blonde.

Thoroughly deserved. Can you pester Simon about any cast recording news? Don't think it's going to happen but how I would love it to...
Scorp
Scorp

Back to top Go down

Post  starryeyed Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:12 am

I'll pester him but I know that he has no reason to believe there will be one. Sorry. I will pester him again for you though since it's you...

starryeyed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down